Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's not really worth it in and of itself but yeah my disdain for Rise means that the extent to which Marie makes Rise super mad pleases me.

Well, I was kind of in a rush since I really did only her first rank and nothing else for six months after, so I figured what the hell, let's get this over with. I don't hate Marie, she's just alright, like most everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
The person I hated the most was the main character. Marie clearly didn't like it when he reads her poems. After the first time he should have employed the 'don't be a loving creep' policy and just given her the poems back without reading them. Every time he picked a poem up and read it, I got a super creep feeling. "why am I being creepy? :("

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

redreader posted:

The person I hated the most was the main character. Marie clearly didn't like it when he reads her poems. After the first time he should have employed the 'don't be a loving creep' policy and just given her the poems back without reading them. Every time he picked a poem up and read it, I got a super creep feeling. "why am I being creepy? :("

Yu . o O ( MUST CONSUME NEW CONTENT. MUST CONSUME IT ALL! )

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

redreader posted:

Wait, creepy? It's a little dickish but it's not like it was anything personal, it was just crappy clown poems. And Marie was all 'stupidjerkidontlikeyouatall' about it. And it's not like he made fun of her for it. Heck, it's possible he didn't even really read them, just picked them up and glanced at them to see what they were. The readings of them could have been for the players' benefit.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Define benefit.

I kinda liked Marie the first time I played. Second time I was pretty done with her but I still don't hate her, she's just boring and doesn't fit in the game well. It's not even her character, she's not more anime or different from the rest of the cast. They just didn't do a good job making it feel like a natural inclusion. She does have that one good line at the end of her s-link though.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I just thought it was bullshit her awful poetry is the only text you can't skip in the entire game. She booby trapped the Velvet Room with her Devart account.

I just want to fuse my Personas!

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

dragon_pamcake posted:

I just thought it was bullshit her awful poetry is the only text you can't skip in the entire game. She booby trapped the Velvet Room with her Devart account.

I just want to fuse my Personas!

Holding Triangle worked well enough.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I liked Marie well enough. I mean she wasn't one of my favorite characters ever but I liked her and her S-link well enough. And I really didn't mind her poetry much either, I just chalked it up to "haw haw teenagers and their awkward poetry".

I mean I suppose since I never played PS2 version it's not as jarring to me to have her inserted into the story, but it felt natural enough to me that I didn't mind.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

alcharagia posted:

I think this is actually the first time these words have been unironically spoken on these forums. Good job on your first, UberJumper!

Eh she likes meat.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Are you denying that Marie is the most tiresome and generic tsundere destined anime waifu? It's basically the same criticism people have of Yukiko except taken to 11.

Yukiko at least has the decency to not write terrible poetry and not be all BUT IT'S NOT LIKE I LIKE YOU OR ANYTHING B-BAKA every event.

After looking up with tsundere means, i don't really see how it applies to marie after the two scenes i have seen with her. She seemed pretty nice when you first do something with her? She is kinda of a jerk when you first meet her in the limo, but i just assumed its a byproduct of being stuck in the limo (i imagine that must be horribly boring).

I haven't met Rise or the person with the blue hat from the intro, but marie doesn't seem that bad, so far.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I don't hate Marie but I do hate her bonus dungeon because it has the most tedious gimmick in the history of tedious gimmicks, and I say that as someone who played and enjoyed Strange Journey

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The SP gimmick might as well not even exist, you'll never actually have any issues with running out since so long as you have light/dark spells or use Naoto you'll end every fight before the enemies get to move. And if you have Victory Cry early even that mild concern is thrown out the window. I didn't like the fact that the way the dungeon is designed, you get almost no experience, zero money, and none of the equipment you get can be used elsewhere. The gently caress is the point?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Manatee Cannon posted:

The SP gimmick might as well not even exist, you'll never actually have any issues with running out since so long as you have light/dark spells or use Naoto you'll end every fight before the enemies get to move. And if you have Victory Cry early even that mild concern is thrown out the window. I didn't like the fact that the way the dungeon is designed, you get almost no experience, zero money, and none of the equipment you get can be used elsewhere. The gently caress is the point?

YOU LOVE MARIE. YOU WILL SACRIFICE ALL TO SAVE HER. MARIE IS THE POINT.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

This is the only good thing about Marie's optional dungeon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyNanTAsU3s

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

YOU LOVE MARIE. YOU WILL SACRIFICE ALL TO SAVE HER. MARIE IS THE POINT.
You've made like 20 posts exactly like this in the past 24 hours dude, so I guess them hoping you'd be obsessed with Marie worked out.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think they wanted to screw up the balance of the final dungeon, nor rebalance the final dungeon around it (particularly because Marie's dungeon is optional), so the easy solution is to make nothing you do in there actually matter outside of the Hollow Forest.

Its purpose is to give the player a fun challenge unlike anything they may have experienced in the PS2 game. And there doesn't really need to be any purpose other than that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

redreader posted:

The person I hated the most was the main character.

That guy's nothing but a goddamn Gary Stu.

Griptape
Feb 22, 2013
I think the biggest problem with Marie is that she's in this weird sort of pseudo-main character limbo where she's important enough to hang out with the main group but not important enough to actually affect any of the plot outside of her own little side story. It's weird and clunky and not really very well executed, but I don't honestly see any better way to handle it short of not adding her in at all. Like, do you just flat out add her to the main plotline, act like she's always been there how the hell could you have ever missed this jeez what's wrong with you, risk it coming off as even more ham-handed and forced, and piss off everyone who doesn't really give a poo poo and would rather just ignore that she even exists? Or you could go the other way and make her have just as much plot impact as any other social link i.e. no real impact at all, but that kind of defeats the purpose of even adding a new character in the first place.

For my part, I never really minded Marie or anything associated with her. I mean, she's not exactly an essential addition to the game, but she's not really an active detriment either. The extra dungeon isn't exactly a beacon of stellar design, but it barely scratches the surface when it comes to Atlus hating their players, it's got decent music, and the plot stuff that comes along with it at least does a decent job of bridging the gap between the main game's supernatural whodunnit plot and the endgame. That Scene... well, it isn't really defensible, but at least it can be outright skipped. As far as the character herself goes, Marie's hardly the worst or most annoying character to show up in recent Atlus games (Yuzu, Midori) or even in recent Persona games (Ken, P3-era Fuuka and Aigis, like loving half of P3's social links good god). And if you flat out just don't give a gently caress, pretty much everything tied to her is gated behind an optional S-Link, so you can largely ignore it all if you prefer.

I dunno. I guess I like the additional stuff well enough conceptually that it's not too hard to overlook the kinda poor execution. V:shobon:V

Griptape fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 16, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Right, my main criticism for Marie has always been that she doesn't feel very well integrated into the main April-December plot. Every time she does show up it feels very forced, and her S. Link is written in a weird way where it doesn't flow like the others (they're a lot longer and the party members are kind of shoehorned into them). They do indeed feel like fanfiction segments. It would have been more work on top of an already improved game, but they should have made the effort to make her a more natural addition.

The rest of it, the poems the dungeons the design, is like whatever really. I can't say I really enjoyed them but they are in no way something I feel like getting up in arms about (as opposed to say Ken or some of the P3 S. Links).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

In retrospect having her be literally the first person you meet after getting off the train is probably a bad move.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MrAristocrates posted:

In retrospect having her be literally the first person you meet after getting off the train is probably a bad move.

Having her replace Nanako as the last person to encourage the MC in the final battle was worse.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Eh i agree she is kind of akwardly shoe horned in, but i honestly don't mind that much. I am guessing she is going to be used to explain a bit more about the room, the nose and the girl in the blue coat.

So far from what i have seen her story is pretty :smith:, she has no idea of anything really, she is confused and forced to serve a man who apparently never speaks.

:allears: Ghost Stories :allears:

I still really do not like Chie's new VA. Sometimes its fine, other times it just doesn't work.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Having her replace Nanako as the last person to encourage the MC in the final battle was worse.

This is the absolute single worst thing about marie, straight up for reals no irony

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

UberJumper posted:

So far from what i have seen her story is pretty :smith:, she has no idea of anything really, she is confused and forced to serve a man who apparently never speaks.
Igor wasn't given any new lines in P4G because his japanese voice actor died.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Endorph posted:

Igor wasn't given any new lines in P4G because his japanese voice actor died.

I was more referring to the fact that Marie says that the Nose never speaks when she is complaining about living in the limo.

Also did Persona 4 Golden remove people asking to study with you? I just got to exams and i very distinctly recall studying a few times with Chie, i never got that option this time.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

UberJumper posted:

I was more referring to the fact that Marie says that the Nose never speaks when she is complaining about living in the limo.

Also did Persona 4 Golden remove people asking to study with you? I just got to exams and i very distinctly recall studying a few times with Chie, i never got that option this time.

You can still study with them if you approach them on certain days before exams.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

UberJumper posted:

If you haven't done so already, you can also buy a book that will boost the rate at which your Knowledge goes up when studying.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I really wish studying with Yosuke or Chie would improve the outcomes of their tests. That's one little touch they never gave me. :smith:

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

I really wish studying with Yosuke or Chie would improve the outcomes of their tests. That's one little touch they never gave me. :smith:

You can save the world, but you're not a miracle worker.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

A Bystander posted:

You can save the world, but you're not a miracle worker.

Zero multiplied by anything is still zero, after all.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
After getting the first social link with Adachi, and hanging out with him, i find him so odd. I am assuming he is just an awkward minor character who was promoted to fulfill an arcana type social link?

I just find him so weird.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You're pretty much right, he's just got a portrait and the fans ended up liking him more than they expected so why not?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Orgia Carnaval posted:

You're pretty much right, he's just got a portrait and the fans ended up liking him more than they expected so why not?

Yeah, the fangirls went crazy for him. Dunno why. He's easily made into a yaoi pairing with Dojima, I guess?

Griptape
Feb 22, 2013
I kinda get the feeling that they added Marie, realized "hey, we've got this whole other set of Arcana open to us now, why stop with just Aeon", and decided to put some time into developing Adachi as a character too. Cause yeah, in the original he's this sorta weird, doofy guy who's always just kinda there as Dojima's partner, not really much of a character in and of himself.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Adachi is great but yeah fundamentally dude is a doof :shrug:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Hellioning posted:

He's easily made into a yaoi pairing with Dojima, I guess?

Something about this sentence just makes me irrationally angry.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

You mean to tell us comedy sidekicks don't deserve love did the Year of Luigi teach us nothing?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Suspicious Cook posted:

Nothing irrational about that.

What I want to know is why the Pale Rider is in the Jester Arcana and the White Rider is in Death. That's just silly, Atlus.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Suspicious Cook posted:

i know, yu/adachi or bust

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
I didn't play Persona 4, but Adachi was pretty offputting in the Giant Bomb playthrough. Didn't really want to hang out with that in the new game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Adachi is my friend, and I enjoyed hanging out with him.

• Locked thread