Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LordPants posted:

Bendis drew a comic book? I never knew that.

Yeah he drew a bunch of his early ones.

Torso is outstanding. If you only get one thing from this sale, make it that.

I haven't read Brilliant, though. Is that any good?

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Scarlet's good, right?

I like it, but it's very "gently caress the police" and people can be hit or miss on Maleev's art. Also, it started coming out before Occupy Wall Street and the Arab Spring and it became a little too close to reality. There have been really long breaks in the schedule because of it (two years between 5 and 6, almost a year since issue 7) and what's up on comiXology is no where near a complete story.

LordPants posted:

Bendis drew a comic book? I never knew that.

Fun fact: when he and David Mack (best known for his art) met, they were going to do a book together. Mack was going to write and Bendis was going to do the art.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah he drew a bunch of his early ones.

Torso is outstanding. If you only get one thing from this sale, make it that.

I haven't read Brilliant, though. Is that any good?

No.

I would put both Brilliant and Scarlet down as not really good.

Brilliant is Bendis trying to do Sorkin with woefully miscast (and not great) Bagley art. It's straight up him trying to do a Mark Millar-esque book and capitalize on The Social Network and non of it works.

Scarlet at least has Maleev art (but not his best work) and one of two scenes that manage to capture that early Bendis' feeling but delays have really ruined it.

If anyone is wondering how Bendis became such a major comic book guy I'd suggest reading Fortune and Glory, Goldfish, Torso and Jinx as they are all pretty drat great. I think Bendis works best when he's pushing at noir stylings and these just go all in. Takio is just there. It's a vanity project of making his daughters superheros but I don't think it actually manages to say anything or even be fun enough to work.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Marvel & Comixology has further dropped the price on their discounted Vol 1 collections. You can get these titles for $2 each now, and if you still have the $5 credit you can get Annihilation and Nova Vol 1 which can really kick-start your Marvel Cosmic library (Marvel Cosmic is amazing)

It's more convenient than stealing at this point.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Warren Ellis sale today. Get Nextwave and Ironman

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 12, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

His Secret Avengers was good. Issue #20 is an amazing stand alone story.
https://www.comixology.com/Secret-Avengers-20/digital-comic/31636

Also #16 has a flying car and #18 has Shang Chi doing kung fu in Escher space. #17 is very skipable...

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

His Thunderbolts run is some of my favourite Marvel stuff ever.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

Been wanting to pick up Next Wave for a while. I been wanting to re-read it and started doing just that in Marvel Unlimited...but I would happily just buy the complete series.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hate to double post, but anyone else able to use the Marvel Unlimited app? I wanted to see what the new comics added were, but every time I launch it I get "Oops Something Went Wrong" popup box that won't go away no matter how many times I hit it. Which at this point I have to close the app out.

Nevermind it was Adblock disabling the internet again for some reason.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 12, 2014

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Comixology are having a sale on 52, which is in my opinion is the only decent major crossover from DC in the past 20 years. Each issue is 99cents, so the entire run is $51.48 total, which still comes out cheaper than buying the omnibus.

However, you can buy the Kindle edition from Amazon at $12.00 a book (Four books total) and come out at $48. (It isn't much of a sale when you look at it like that)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Could I read 52 without much of any knowledge about DC continuity? I tend to stick to the self-contained stuff, I've never really spent too much time on the events.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 14, 2014

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Could I read 52 without much of any knowledge about DC continuity? I tend to stick to the self-contained stuff, I've never really spent too much time on the events.
Yeah, totally. I don't think I was reading anything except for Supergirl when 52 started. I highly recommend 52, it's a very solid title within its own continuity, every single plot is great, and I loved the characters they decided to use in the absence of the Trinity. (They didn't use hardly any members of the Justice League, for that matter). It was a great chance for new heroes and C-List heroes at the time to really come into their own.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's still a lot of obscurities they're picking from DC history, but everything announces it's self.

Ralph Dibny: Yes, person on the phone. I'm still really sad about the tragic death of my wife with whome I was an investigator. You'd like to see me at the memorial service for the heroes that died in the last big catastrophe, the most deathy death of all being Superboy's? I dunno. I'm pretty suicidal.

Booster Gold: Hey, my A.I. buddy. We're from the future so you know everything that's gonna happen. Tell me where I'm needed.
Oh no! you're glitching out. I know. I'll take you to Dr. Magnus!

Dr Magnus: Geez. I'm a bit out of practice. You see, my Metal Men blah blah
I'm actually going to meet Dr. Tomorrow in evil science prison. He's even better at robots than me.

Hey Dr. Tomorrow it sucks you're evil and in prison. You're really good at robots.

Dr. Tomorrow: Yeah. The Red Tornado I invented is pretty cool.
Be careful, btw. Someone is kidnapping mad scientists like us. Dr. Old DC Villain and Dr. Whatever better watch out.

Dr. Whatever: Blah blah I hate the Marvel Family blah blah. Hey don't kidnap me!

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

How's the Kindle reader? I'm kind of a sucker for guided view but 52 is one of my favorite series and I dunno if I can pass this up either way.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

hup posted:

How's the Kindle reader? I'm kind of a sucker for guided view but 52 is one of my favorite series and I dunno if I can pass this up either way.
Kindle reader works about as well as Comixology, it's just a little less organized. I've never had any issues out of the stuff I own through Amazon/Kindle.

By the way, the first issue of #52 is free through Amazon. It sets a little up, if anyone's interested.
http://www.amazon.com/52-1-Johns-Geoff-ebook/dp/B00JW2PLX8/ref=sr_1_3_title_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400082121&sr=1-3&keywords=52+dc

And here's #52 if you want to buy it through Amazon:
Vol 1
Vol 2
Vol 3
Vol 4

Total price: $45.96

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 14, 2014

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

hup posted:

Unless they've changed it recently, you can't zoom at all on the Kindle reader. I found it readable on a large enough screen, but still annoying.

A PC Game
May 7, 2007
I just read 52 as someone with zero knowledge of DC continuity and I did not find it very rewarding. You can definitely get the gist of what's going on but with the exception of Booster Gold it always felt like the details of characters needed to really get the most out of the series weren't there.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Humble Bundle put up a new comics bundle, this time related to IDW's Doctor Who stuff.

Pay What You Want:
Doctor Who Series 1 (17 issues across 3 volumes)
Doctor Who Series 2 (17 issues across 4 volumes)
Doctor Who Legacy mobile game (Android only)

Beat The Average:
Doctor Who Series 3 (17 issues across 4 volumes)
More, to-be-announced comics...

Pay $15 Or More:
Doctor Who: Prisoners Of Time (12 issues across 3 volumes)
The Girl Who Loved Doctor Who

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Unless they've changed it recently, you can't zoom at all on the Kindle reader. I found it readable on a large enough screen, but still annoying.

Yeah, you can't zoom, which is mindboggling.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

A PC Game posted:

I just read 52 as someone with zero knowledge of DC continuity and I did not find it very rewarding. You can definitely get the gist of what's going on but with the exception of Booster Gold it always felt like the details of characters needed to really get the most out of the series weren't there.

Yeah I remember reading 52 back when it was wrapping up and love it, but honestly don't really want to rebuy it. There are parts I really loved like Booster Gold, Renee Montoya, and Science Island. But outside of stuff like Sobek before his heel turn were just forgettable.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Comixology is absolutely maddening on the Kindle Fire. Every time I try to download a book it starts downloading fine, but when I go back to check on how far along it is, it says download complete. The book will not be in my library and if I go to its page on comixology it just says downloading with no percentage. Logging in and out, rebooting my kindle and reinstalling comixology all did nothing. gently caress this stupid app.

Edit: gets stuck at ~15% it seems. I'm going to just assume their servers are slammed since its wednesday and try tomorrow.

Jeff Wiiver fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 15, 2014

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

:supaburn: James Stokoe Godzilla on sale! :supaburn:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

:supaburn: James Stokoe Godzilla on sale! :supaburn:

Still not available outside the US :negative:

(Everybody that can buy it)

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

VPN worked with the app. I bought them abroad. Now, don't know...

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Waterhaul posted:

Actually, I'm in the UK and managed to get it without any problems. Don't know if it will work for anywhere else though.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There's also a run of X-Men comics on sale by some nobody. Gee, I hate it when they put these stupid runs up that no one cares about.

If I bought them all would that be bad?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

baronvonsabre posted:

Actually, I'm in the UK and managed to get it without any problems. Don't know if it will work for anywhere else though.

I'm in Denmark and I can't buy it, but I really want to :smith:

The biggest crime in comics is not putting out every one of Stokoe's books in the most lavish hardcovers imaginable. gently caress if I'm going to sully his art by viewing it in a lovely mass market paperback.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

The biggest crime in comics is not putting out every one of Stokoe's books in the most lavish hardcovers imaginable. gently caress if I'm going to sully his art by viewing it in a lovely mass market paperback.

On the iPad you could try running a VPN and using the IDW app maybe?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

LordPants posted:

There's also a run of X-Men comics on sale by some nobody. Gee, I hate it when they put these stupid runs up that no one cares about.

If I bought them all would that be bad?

Nope I did. They may suck now, but this run defined the x-men. I half expect there to be another X-men sale on Monday due to the movie coming out next week.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, like hadji murad suggested, just get a VPN up and running. If you look on the App Store for "Tunnel Bear", you can download the free app and it will run you through the steps to set up a free VPN on your iOS device. You get something like 1GB free per month, I use it almost exclusively for browsing the ComiXology New Releases each week to pick up stuff they geo-block (which for whatever reason happens to be a ton of comics I'm interested in). You can make the purchase with the VPN running, then turn it off and download your books, so the actual bandwidth of the downloads doesn't count against your free monthly total.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

As someone vaguely interested in Godzilla, but also trying to keep a cap on how much they're spending on Comixology, is the entire Godzilla bundle worthwhile, or should I just go a la carte? If the latter, is there anything aside from Half-Century War that's can't miss?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Comixology is absolutely maddening on the Kindle Fire. Every time I try to download a book it starts downloading fine, but when I go back to check on how far along it is, it says download complete. The book will not be in my library and if I go to its page on comixology it just says downloading with no percentage. Logging in and out, rebooting my kindle and reinstalling comixology all did nothing. gently caress this stupid app.

Edit: gets stuck at ~15% it seems. I'm going to just assume their servers are slammed since its wednesday and try tomorrow.

I've never had this issue with the app on my Fire HDX. Perhaps check your settings and see if the check mark for keeping the device awake while downloading is set?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

unl33t posted:

As someone vaguely interested in Godzilla, but also trying to keep a cap on how much they're spending on Comixology, is the entire Godzilla bundle worthwhile, or should I just go a la carte? If the latter, is there anything aside from Half-Century War that's can't miss?

Half Century War is above everything else by a mile. The rest vary from terrible to somewhat entertaining.

Here's a sample from Rulers of Earth

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

From Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #6

Godzilla is fighting Mecha-Gigan and Orga. Military is trying to also help. Things are looking grim but then...

NEXT ISSUE: PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH

Godzilla Legends has a few good ones (The Anguirus one is Anguirus vs Destroyah and it's badass in a "little guy never giving up way")

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It looks like Brian K. Vaughn's Pride of Baghdad finally has been uploaded to Comixology and Kindle. Not on sale, but pointing it out in case some of you have been on a BKV binge like me.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Trast posted:

I've never had this issue with the app on my Fire HDX. Perhaps check your settings and see if the check mark for keeping the device awake while downloading is set?
Yeah that setting didn't affect the problem but when I tried downloading the next day it worked fine. Either my WiFi was making GBS threads the bed or their servers were.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Does anyone remember when that free $5 from ComiXology expires?

VVV good lookin' out, thanks.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 17, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

May 25th

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Saga vol 1 is on sale for 1.99 on Comixology. Bought the first three at a previous sale and coincidentally started reading it today.

It's really, really brilliant. Buy it.

edit: blasting through vol 2 now, best read in ages (well Thor: the Accursed was something special too)

hadji murad fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 17, 2014

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

hadji murad posted:

Saga vol 1 is on sale for 1.99 on Comixology. Bought the first three at a previous sale and coincidentally started reading it today.

It's really, really brilliant. Buy it.

edit: blasting through vol 2 now, best read in ages (well Thor: the Accursed was something special too)

Thanks, Picked up Volume 1.

Do the volumes add anything not in individual issues? It's $15 for Vol 2, but buying the 6 issues individually @ $1.99 would be $3 cheaper. Seems really stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
A lot of collections aren't actually that cost effective.

At least when it comes to digital.