Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Amateur Sketch posted:

I never understand why people recommend Widowmakers at 15 points. You get 4 shots that will only do a point of damage if the target has decent armor. Maybe 2 rounds of shooting before the enemy gets to you, and then it's only 4 easily-killed bodies. I'm sure they're great at other point levels, but I feel like Greylords or min WG would be a better low point option.

Choir of Menoth, Krielstone, pain givers. High value single wound support pieces that other factions put in to make 15, Widowmakers take them out just as easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Alright, I've made a decision re: choosing a faction.

Imperial Russia is cool and all, and I might end up making something with them down the line, but the lure of giant blind dragons and frozen evil elves was too much.

Everblight like a mofucker.

Congratulations, you have made the objectively correct choice. Prioritize Shepherds and Forsaken as your first non-beast purchases. Go wild!

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Imperial Russia is cool and all, and I might end up making something with them down the line, but the lure of giant blind dragons and frozen evil elves was too much.

Alright welcome to the Hordes side. Giant Effin beasts are always awesome

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Quite a few people seem to be jumping ship from Warhammer, welcome to the other side. Everyone is different, but I've found Hordes way more fun by going crazy with fury for one turn, and unleashing the nightmare that is next turn.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What's missing from the mini-rulebook? Fluff, illustrations, army lists, anything else?

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Basically fluff and the basic units from all the main armies. Nothing necessary and you get the same unit info from the free version of warroom.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Exinos posted:

Basically fluff and the basic units from all the main armies. Nothing necessary and you get the same unit info from the free version of warroom.

Basically this. The mini rules have enough rules for the models you have and the other Hordes/Warmachine factions. The real rulebook has rules and descriptions and stats for roughly 60% of the units for all of the armies of Hordes or Warmachine.

The faction books have info about tiered armies and fluff. There are still. Some extra units that are not in the faction books. If you don't care about the fluff, as far as your faction goes probably the most economical way get into it would be to buy your faction's army in the Warroom App. You get updated info on all of your army units including errata corrections without needing to buy multiple books for $6.99. Also the warroom app allows you to mark off damage on your units and things of the sort. It's a stupidly good deal unless you want a hard copy of everything. (In a tournament rules will disqualify you if your device with info fails so either have multiple devices or buy a hard copy for tournaments).

I think that's about it.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Also when you buy your faction book you'll see the Tier lists and decide that it's probably a good idea to build towards one. Don't do this!

Tier lists range from between very strong and awful, but almost all of them are intended for experienced players who know the ins and outs of their faction and who don't mind buying multiple copies of units that can't be used outside of the tier (i.e. 4 units of a Force Allowance 2 unit)

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Lord Of Texas posted:

Congratulations, you have made the objectively correct choice. Prioritize Shepherds and Forsaken as your first non-beast purchases. Go wild!

Also: magnetize your heavies and find someone to split the two player battlebox with.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

waah posted:

The faction books have info about tiered armies and fluff. There are still. Some extra units that are not in the faction books. If you don't care about the fluff, as far as your faction goes probably the most economical way get into it would be to buy your faction's army in the Warroom App. You get updated info on all of your army units including errata corrections without needing to buy multiple books for $6.99. Also the warroom app allows you to mark off damage on your units and things of the sort. It's a stupidly good deal unless you want a hard copy of everything.

Everyone just needs to be ready to buy the full Warroom package via the Ultimate bundle. Every single Warmahordes player I know has 1 or 2 decks unlocked in the Warroom store and then the full bundle anyway. As those single unlocks do not lower the cost of the bundles it turns into lost cash.

Not only is it crazy useful for knowing what every unit in the game does it saves you money over time. Like, when they released Convergence I did not have to pay anything extra to get it, it just appeared on my phone one day.

For any Warhammer converts that are put off by the price, just mess around with the free version for a few days. Build some lists with the freebie cards not just for your faction but the others as well to get a feeling for it.

Then when you're looking at the $60.00 price tag just think that it's spending $60.00 for a digital copy of the rules for every single model that has been released or will be released along with the text automatically being updated to reflect errata or clarifications. That's basically the price for a single digital codex from GW so you lose out on the full but you have all the cards for the important model rules.

Edit - If your just starting out I would not make the purchase right away. Stick with the free version to start as it's got the cards for the battle boxes and then some other stuff. Play some games and once you're ready to expand past 15 - 25 points you should have an idea if the game is really for you and the $60.00 is worth it.

Exinos fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 16, 2014

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Exinos posted:

Everyone just needs to be ready to buy the full Warroom package via the Ultimate bundle. Every single Warmahordes player I know has 1 or 2 decks unlocked in the Warroom store and then the full bundle anyway. As those single unlocks do not lower the cost of the bundles it turns into lost cash.

Edit - If your just starting out I would not make the purchase right away. Stick with the free version to start as it's got the cards for the battle boxes and then some other stuff. Play some games and once you're ready to expand past 15 - 25 points you should have an idea if the game is really for you and the $60.00 is worth it.

I just bought the one for my faction initially. I know that I will buy the full $60 one, but losing out on six dollars of savings can be recouped by watching for miniature market deals, or ebay sales, & etc. You do give really good advice though. The war room app is so drat good.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Good to see you made the right choice, like GEMorris said you should pick up the hordes two-player box and find someone to split the circle with or ebay it or whatever, honestly it's not a bad deal if you just toss the circle in the trash (don't do that). Get the warspear chieftain and Thagrosh1 and go to town. Lylyth1, the caster that comes with the starter, is honestly not very good and is a poor choice to build up a meaty/brick list. Thagrosh1 has a really strong attrition game due to Death Shroud, his feat, and the ability to easily give out spiny growth. He's also a good caster to start with in legion because he doesn't require as much positioning/shenanigans to be effective with as Saeryn or the Vayl1/2.

Other strong combos to consider are legionnaires+spawning vessel, ravagore+shepherd, and forsaken for general fury management. All the non-character heavy beasts in legion are good, though a lot of lists that aren't Thagrosh1 won't use a carnivean and instead take multiples of scytheans or ravagores. Enjoy ignoring all the terrain on the board and stealth.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Welcome to blind dragon town!

As another new Legion player (Started in August) here is some advice I can give.

Split the two-player box with a pal if at all possible. Alternately pick up the Legion half on eBay. pLylyth is a fine place to start, you'll use Shredders (though not all 4) in a lot of lists, the warspears are playable, and the heavy warbeast body is great to have.

Speaking of the Carnivean, magnetize that guy. It didn't take me too long to do mine, and I've ended up playing Syctheans and Ravigores way more than Carniveans.

Early Purchases:
Blighted Nyss Shepherd (really a must have fury mitigation tool)
Forsaken (another fury mitigation tool, try them both out)
Warspear Chieftain (if you got the two player box)
Angelius (A great heavy warbeast, although the model is a pain in the rear end to assemble.)

For Troops
Blighted Nyss Legionnaires (good tarpit unit)
Spawning Vessel (eats up the dead legos)

Alternate casters:
eVayl is a blast if you like the spell casting part of warlocks. She can also nuke an opponent to death on her feat turn.
Absylonia I haven't played her much, but I have a friend who is also new who plays an all beast and mitigators army and she loves Absylonia.
p or eThagrosh are both guys with awesome models if you want a caster who can mix it up a bit.

War room - I bought it with all the cards in one shot, but I also picked up PaintVagrant's Cryx army so I had something painted (amazingly) to play with while I slow painted out my Legion, and I needed all the cards for that, so War room was a better option for me.

EDIT: Avoid most all of the nephilem when you start out. They aren't that great and learning to play is tough to begin with if you're starting against vets.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 16, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ohhhh, sweet, pThagrosh (and eventually eThagrosh) was my pick for best caster models, so it's :krad: that he's good for what I want to do.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

waah posted:

(In a tournament rules will disqualify you if your device with info fails so either have multiple devices or buy a hard copy for tournaments).

I've done 32 man tournaments start to finish without battery issues on my Kindle Fire as long as I put it into Airplane mode. Been War Room exclusive since the new version dropped.

Ohhhh, sweet, pThagrosh (and eventually eThagrosh) was my pick for best caster models, so it's :krad: that he's good for what I want to do.

Pro-tip for new Thagrosh1 players: pay attention to what in your opponent's army can remove from play. Beasts RFPed can NOT be brought back by Thag's feat.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

All this is spot on, I'd only add: go ahead and get another heavy kit and magnetize all the parts in both the new kit, and on the carnivean in your battlebox. Thagrosh1 is legit both as a starting caster and as a tournament drop.

Edit: beaten by Karnegal cause I forgot to hit post.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 16, 2014

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Just picked up Kreoss3 from a friend, what does he run well besides vengers?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

gilljoy posted:

Just picked up Kreoss3 from a friend, what does he run well besides vengers?

Everything. No, really, there isn't much that Kreoss3 doesn't run well. Vengers are awesome with him. Daughters are awesome. Flamebringers are even decent. He is one of Menoth's best jack casters. Errants are awesome with everyone, including him.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Alright, 15 points of Legion.

Thagrosh1 (-5)
Raek (4)
Shredder (2)
Shredder (2)
Carnivean (11)
Shepherd (1)

I know that, in particular, the Raek isn't really optimal, but holy christ I love it's model.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I think raeks are underused. Put tenacity on them and they are 16/15 which is pretty damned hard to kill, and the leap lets them get scary places.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Trolls love Thagrosh lists. Mmmm, snacking.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Thagrosh has Bad Blood, at least, so that prevents snacking with one of the troll beasts.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I know that, in particular, the Raek isn't really optimal, but holy christ I love it's model.

Raek's rule. Shadowshift is so drat useful when you have a caster like Thagrosh who who beat up clowns himself.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Khisanth Magus posted:

Everything. No, really, there isn't much that Kreoss3 doesn't run well. Vengers are awesome with him. Daughters are awesome. Flamebringers are even decent. He is one of Menoth's best jack casters. Errants are awesome with everyone, including him.

TFg are pretty legit with his +2 def anti spells buff.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Argh... Trolls or Legion. I am tempted by Skorne aswell

:negative:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ravagore or bust :colbert:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I dont like the looks of the ravagore

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
You

should

definitely

play

Trolls.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

More x-posting from the Oath Thread! :toot:

(more here)

So I finally went with these 15 points:
Mortenebra & Deryliss
2x Warwitch Siren
3x Slayers

I did end up going with her tier (against advice, I know) to cram 3 Slayers into 15 points - But I already had most of those models and nothing is only usable in that list. Plus I really want to see three Slayers wreck poo poo at Terminal Velocity. So if it's a terrible mistake, I just have to paint up something else out of my 2nd-hand pile and spend some more time in the app.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Karnegal posted:

Split the two-player box with a pal if at all possible. Alternately pick up the Legion half on eBay. pLylyth is a fine place to start, you'll use Shredders (though not all 4) in a lot of lists

Unless you're playing eThagrosh then this is only a quarter of the shredders needed. For a 25 point list.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Troll definitely look awesome and all, but I already have an infantry army, and runes of war does not appeal to me.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

DJ Dizzy posted:

Argh... Trolls or Legion. I am tempted by Skorne aswell

:negative:

It's a simple question with a simple answer: Do you like ludicrous overkill? If yes, pick Skorne, if no pick some other dumb faction, I don't care.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

stabbington posted:

You

should

definitely

play

Trolls.

Love the Pyre Troll. And the Kithkar. All excellent.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

DJ Dizzy posted:

Troll definitely look awesome and all, but I already have an infantry army, and runes of war does not appeal to me.

I present to you, Pterodactyls

Giant rampaging elephants

Elephants holding cannons with one hand

Dual Scimatar weilding Cyclopses

And Dual Greatsword Golems containing the spirit of one of the greatest warriors eve

Skorne, the only good best choice.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

But but but. loving dragons man vs a bunch of emos with weaponized elephants

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Honestly, Runes of War isn't all that. I feel like a lot of its popularity is more down to Jason Flanzer liking it a lot and finishing prominently with it every so often than any special power possessed by the list itself (beyond a good Cryx matchup). I personally feel like eDoomshaper beast lists are more fun to play, and Calandra gets to run basically anything she wants, from all-minion infantry nonsense to a very traditional beast brick. Even pMadrak runs a number of beasts surprisingly well. Plus, multi-wound weapon master spam feels less like running a lot of infantry and more like legion lists with a bunch of lesser warbeasts to me.

That said, if you want to play armies that are basically all beasts all the time and aesthetics aren't a primary concern, Legion is definitely the way to go. You'll hard-pressed to find a caster that doesn't want a 3+ heavy battlegroup in that faction, and basically all of those lists are high power and play well. Skorne is alright for that, but have way more casters that want a bunch of infantry or a combined arms approach to things.

Having played all three (and Circle, for the matter) fairly extensively, I've definitely had the most fun with Trolls lately, but a lot of that can be chalked up to being really into the hobby side of the faction on top of liking how they play. I need to get my Circle back out once I finish painting up the Troll stuff I have, since I haven't done a lot with them since Domination outside of a could of eMorvahna games when she came out, and they've gotten a bunch of fun new toys since. Maybe when the Riphorn is finally out.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Almost done these assholes. Gotta finish the Ravagore fireball and base them but then they're finally done.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I've noticed that no one is ever a die hard Circle fan. It's just something you wander into and kinda stay there.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

jodai posted:

I've noticed that no one is ever a die hard Circle fan. It's just something you wander into and kinda stay there.

I'm a pretty unabashed Mohsar fan. The most ornery man in all of Immoren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

jodai posted:

I've got 25 point armies for both Circle and Legion since I'm building out of the two-player box and... Legion is just way cooler. Werewolves are alright, but not as cool as the weird abominations Legion has.

• Locked thread