Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Woffle posted:

Real quick: We're a little light on responses about Killer 7 which is surprising given that it's such a polarizing game. If you want to send something in, we still have about 3 hours til when we record. https://www.duckfeed.tv/contact

I'm really interested to hear what you guys think about this one -- I had to force myself through it, but it was definitely one of the most interesting video game experiences I've ever had. If I had to guess, Suda 51 was able to make this game because Capcom was essentially losing all of their key staff members around this time, and I think the company had him pegged as their next Mikami or Kamiya. Though I'm not sure if Suda is entirely responsible for the magic of Killer 7, since everything he's made after that -- barring some parts of No More Heroes -- has been pretty uninspired.

Oh, and Travis is rad. Weirdly enough, he's speaking garbled English you can *barely* make out if you pay attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Song For The Deaf posted:

1. Jenni from Video Games Taco joins us to talk about a dumb little horse MMO. http://duckfeed.tv/asp/36
I'll admit, after listening to that I still have no idea what Horse Isle actually involves, but it kinda made me want to mark down International Day of Horseplay 2015.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

TetsuoTW posted:

I'll admit, after listening to that I still have no idea what Horse Isle actually involves, but it kinda made me want to mark down International Day of Horseplay 2015.

As someone who partook, I can assure you the secret of Horse Isle is definitely not horses. It's like picking up a book called "How to Cook" and having it talk about being a waiter at a restaurant, famous people who have eaten before, and animals you can buy who will entertain you while you cook.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Started listening to SBFC since they've been getting a lot of attention. The non-videogame chat at the beginning of one of the episodes originally turned me off but I stuck with it and it's really nice to hear a podcast from people that play the same games I do. Like they mentioned DMC3, Persona 4 and Dark Souls 2 in the same episode! And one of them actually buys Vita games!

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Both times I've tried to get into SBFC I've run into an anime discussion that went on just a bit too long and I'd lose interest.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Timett posted:

Both times I've tried to get into SBFC I've run into an anime discussion that went on just a bit too long and I'd lose interest.

The one that made me lose interest was something about them tasting soft drinks or something, I've always hated podcasts that are just descriptions of what things taste like :v:

Look at the episode descriptions on their site, they actually list quite clearly what they talk about each time. For me they almost always talk about stuff that is totally under-represented in other podcasts. 8-4's podcast talks a bunch about Japanese games but I didn't really like it, and also they go a bit TOO far with it.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

bobservo posted:

I'm really interested to hear what you guys think about this one -- I had to force myself through it, but it was definitely one of the most interesting video game experiences I've ever had. If I had to guess, Suda 51 was able to make this game because Capcom was essentially losing all of their key staff members around this time, and I think the company had him pegged as their next Mikami or Kamiya. Though I'm not sure if Suda is entirely responsible for the magic of Killer 7, since everything he's made after that -- barring some parts of No More Heroes -- has been pretty uninspired.

Oh, and Travis is rad. Weirdly enough, he's speaking garbled English you can *barely* make out if you pay attention.

Yeah, I ended up really liking it, despite the fact that it doesn't seem like a very Gary game. I actually liked it more than I liked Deadly Premonition on the subject of interesting games with bad gameplay.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Woffle posted:

Real quick: We're a little light on responses about Killer 7 which is surprising given that it's such a polarizing game. If you want to send something in, we still have about 3 hours til when we record. https://www.duckfeed.tv/contact

I was thinking about responding, but I couldn't think of an interesting way to say "Killer 7 is cool but occasionally hard to get through, Suda51's post No More Heroes games have been kinda tryhard dogshit".

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
The latest episode of Three Moves Ahead, which is a discussion about EVE with some EVE fleet commanders, is highly recommended.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
I have to say, listening to the latest Idle Thumbs is a little frustrating between the conversation about how selling a Kinect-less bundle was like when MS did the same by later releasing a 360 without the hard drive (hard drive-less bundle was available from the system's launch), or the discussion about how things like "Aiden Pierce's Authentic Cap" is a crummy piece of digital content because of what that does to the character's designer (that's describing an actual physical hat based on the default character design and not part of an in-game costume).

Not to say the latter isn't a valid criticism because I'm pretty sure some of that content is character costumes, but it's just frustrating as a listener.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 16, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
There was a million pieces of cosmetic DLC. The fact that they used the item "Aiden Pierce's Iconic Cap" in those discussions doesn't detract from the point as it applies to Watch Dogs, and especially not to their point about preorder bonus content as a whole.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
"Chris Remo is the Cranky Kong of our Donkey Kong podcast family" and "i am that croc-o-chomp guy. I am King Crocman" basically killed me. I'm dead

This has been a super good episode so far!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

thefncrow posted:

I have to say, listening to the latest Idle Thumbs is a little frustrating between the conversation about how selling a Kinect-less bundle was like when MS did the same by later releasing a 360 without the hard drive (hard drive-less bundle was available from the system's launch), or the discussion about how things like "Aiden Pierce's Authentic Cap" is a crummy piece of digital content because of what that does to the character's designer (that's describing an actual physical hat based on the default character design and not part of an in-game costume).

Not to say the latter isn't a valid criticism because I'm pretty sure some of that content is character costumes, but it's just frustrating as a listener.

Is it frustrating because it's not good or accurate criticism? Because I enjoyed it, but that's probably because I don't give a dang about the Kinect, or consoles in general, really.

edit: or Watch_Dogs

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 16, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

thefncrow posted:

the discussion about how things like "Aiden Pierce's Authentic Cap" is a crummy piece of digital content because of what that does to the character's designer (that's describing an actual physical hat based on the default character design and not part of an in-game costume).
Sure, it's a little frustrating that they were just wrong about that specific detail, but the overarching point remains - what the gently caress is up with all those editions of WatchUnderscoreDogs? Like that's for real mental. And the idea that there's a specific ANZAC pack is hilarious, given how few shits the industry has historically given about Australasia, or really any country that isn't the UK, the US, or Japan.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY
Surely the "Iconic Cap" is an actual hat, a feelie item, not an in-game thing? The whole watchdogmatrix is ridiculous enough that they're right to find it weird, but I spent that whole hat conversation thinking "guys... doesn't that sound like a collector's edition with real items to you"

edit: oh, oops, mentioned already

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

yeah I've always felt that 8-4 play feels alot like idle thumbs, but I cant seem to get into it as much, it's just missing that extra panache other podcasts do.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 16, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm going to say it, Idle Thumbs should discuss more than just video games. I want to hear what Chris has to say about the new season of Louie :3:

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm going to say it, Idle Thumbs should discuss more than just video games. I want to hear what Chris has to say about the new season of Louie :3:

Yeah, totally! Maybe they could discuss books that they've been reading too?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Are there nerds actually going "um, excuse me, the authentic cap is an actual item" in here?

Way to miss the forest for the trees.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

thefncrow posted:

You must not have been listening very closely, despite being so upset about a detail such as the HD-less SKU being a launch option while this Kinect-free SKU is available a few months after launch.

The reason that the hat is so stupid is that it's literally called "Aiden Pierce's Iconic Cap", not his "authentic" cap, which is outright laughable since I can't even remember it, outside of it being a ball-cap that was brown or grey or something, in some trailers. It'd be a bit like calling your local bar band famous celebrities, and then going out and telling everyone everywhere, how famous they are, despite nobody having a clue who they are.

I guess celebrity creating itself through force of marketing isn't a new thing, but generally you need people to at least vaguely recognize what you're talking about, or have some bit of media which is juicy enough to give them enough of a boost to try to climb the ladder, like some the Numa Numa guy. The Cap being Iconic wouldn't be so outrageous if this was given away with Watch Dogs 2: Watch Doggier, the sequel to the smash-hit groundbreaking game, Watch Dogs..

And the pics I've seen of the Iconic Hat looked digital to me, nor would it seem very prudent to walk around in a ballcap with a balaclava over half your face. But people will wear whatever ugly crap they get for free with a video game, so ymmv.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 16, 2014

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY

Phone posted:

Way to miss the forest for the trees.

Ehhhhh, they were baffled by how weird it is that the appearance of the main character would be different (less ICONIC or whatever) depending on which version of the game you you buy, but that's is not the case here. That's all I meant. It being a physical item is irrelevant.

I see the forest. I see all of that ridiculous forest. I wish it was just a tree. A tree I could buy on steam and not have to think about what other trees I could have bought.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY
ffff, quote != edit

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Orthogonalus posted:

Ehhhhh, they were baffled by how weird it is that the appearance of the main character would be different (less ICONIC or whatever) depending on which version of the game you you buy, but that's is not the case here. That's all I meant. It being a physical item is irrelevant.

I see the forest. I see all of that ridiculous forest. I wish it was just a tree. A tree I could buy on steam and not have to think about what other trees I could have bought.

I think Chris' point still stands despite us getting those details wrong, because it's still like 10+ content variants of various kinds across 10+ SKUs. I think he was using the hat as a specific example for a broader point . We probably should have disclaimed that we weren't sure of the details of the preorder items, though.

Also... I think that if we had known the hat was real at the time and seen the photo of it, we whould have just shat on that instead because his "iconic cap" is just a black baseball hat with a black logo stitched into it. Maybe the black stitching literally says the word "iconic," which is the only way the word iconic would apply to that design, but I couldn't read the black on black to be sure. (I'm sure it was just some logo insignia from the game world though.)

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 16, 2014

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
I'm certain the "Iconic" came from the marketing school of thought that if you repeat a statement often enough people will start believing it.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Maybe he actually wears Mario's hat in the game and calls it his iconic cap.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Oh I forgot to add, I give my dog Taste of the Wild (bought it on a lark because I was out of food and I liked reading Jack London as a kid,) and it's really good, quality food - albeit rather spendy depending on where you buy it, but if you look around you can find it at a comparable price to any other dog food even though some stores give it an outrageous mark-up. I buy it off Amazon now with free Prime shipping, now I don't have to use gas and carry around that 30 lb bag of food. She eats about half as much of that brand of food as is recommended for her weight no matter how much I feed her (a third as much as she ate of other dog foods full of garbage), and after moving to that food, she gets a lot of compliments from random people on how svelte and toned she is for a bulldog mix. :btroll:

If you're interested in buying pet food that's not full of crap, check out this thread's OP/second post. Number one tip is to feed your pet half to two-thirds as much as the food bag recommends - they're in the business of having you run out of food more quickly.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549663

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 16, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think that the pre-order bonus on Steam for Watch Underscore Dogs should be an Authentic Aiden's Iconic Cap for TF2.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

Phone posted:

I think that the pre-order bonus on Steam for Watch Underscore Dogs should be an Authentic Aiden's Iconic Cap for TF2.

Do you want Russia's economy to tank?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I heard if you buy all the DLC the main character's model is actually changed to a dog in game so that you can play as the actual titular character of watch dog.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
I enjoyed the discussion, and gently caress the marketing guy who thought calling it iconic was a good idea. It is from a marketing standpoint, but eventually all the words that mean good things are going to be all polluted with marketing that they won't mean anything.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I'm going to make a bold prediction that watch dogs will not be as iconic as sleeping dogs. Or doge 2048.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There's a sort of dumb marketing hopefulness to calling it 'iconic.' Like when Network Associates bought the rights to name the Oakland Colosseum, there was this giant banner on the front of it that said NETWORK ASSOCIATES COLOSSEUM, and in little italic writing in quotes it said, "See you at the 'Net," like it was a thing they wanted people to start saying. Nobody's going to loving say that.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

There's a sort of dumb marketing hopefulness to calling it 'iconic.' Like when Network Associates bought the rights to name the Oakland Colosseum, there was this giant banner on the front of it that said NETWORK ASSOCIATES COLOSSEUM, and in little italic writing in quotes it said, "See you at the 'Net," like it was a thing they wanted people to start saying. Nobody's going to loving say that.

Whenever I think about marketing people, I think about Shadow of the Colossus. These huge, lumbering idiot beasts trying to capture small things with big clumsy hands.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

Didn't Microsoft put something in their Xbone announcement press packs dictating how the name should be abbreviated? They expected everyone to call it "The One".

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Tempo 119 posted:

Didn't Microsoft put something in their Xbone announcement press packs dictating how the name should be abbreviated? They expected everyone to call it "The One".

A lot of companies try to enforce their brands like that. When I worked at Gamestop, Nintendo wanted all signage to abbreviate the GameCube as GCN even though no one ever does that.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

bobservo posted:

A lot of companies try to enforce their brands like that. When I worked at Gamestop, Nintendo wanted all signage to abbreviate the GameCube as GCN even though no one ever does that.

That particular one caught for me, I think, but it's because IGN GameCube did it, and I was a religious IGN reader around GameCube launch (probably coming off IGN 64? I can't even remember now).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I gotta admit, hearing Patrick say "No way is there a Kinect-less SKU announcement at E3" on the newest Bombcast, then listening to Idle Thumbs immediately after and hearing "Kinect-less SKU announced today" was pretty funny. Not to bash Patrick though, because he's technically right :v:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

There's a sort of dumb marketing hopefulness to calling it 'iconic.'
It's not not hopeful, it's presumptuous. Whether or not something is "iconic" isn't up to the people who make it, it's up to the audience. It's like calling yourself "awesome". It's just uncouth.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Tempo 119 posted:

Not especially relevant, but I can't miss an opportunity to repost this.

What a weird thing Microsoft Games has become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

One of the thumbs was looking for a word meaning fat that starts with p. I would like to submit paunchy. That is all.

• Locked thread