Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

OH WORD SON posted:

So who's the best guy to use in WO3? And what are some rare items/weapons that are must haves?

IIRC, Xiahou Ba is supposed to be the "Top Tier" dude in WO3 but you can generally use just about anyone you like and you'll weed out the real stinkers. In my experience the people with DW style musou attacks rather than SW style musou attacks seem to be better.

abagofcheetos posted:

The only good bow seems to be the one that new Wu guy (the one that looks like an elf and never shuts up about fire) uses... and even it isn't great. But at least he is super mobile while using it.

Bow and Rod and regular rear end Bow are actually both really good. The DLC Revolving Crossbow is nuts but kind of unwieldy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Is there any way to boost the volume of voices over the rest of the game? Some of these actors talk too softly for when I'm wrecking thousands of dudes.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Jibo posted:

IIRC, Xiahou Ba is supposed to be the "Top Tier" dude in WO3 but you can generally use just about anyone you like and you'll weed out the real stinkers. In my experience the people with DW style musou attacks rather than SW style musou attacks seem to be better.

Tachibana Ginchiryo I think is an exception there. Her musou is great for generating gems because if you get up a big mass of dudes, you can get a high combo count as they bounce helplessly on her deathbubble.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

5er posted:

Tachibana Ginchiryo I think is an exception there. Her musou is great for generating gems because if you get up a big mass of dudes, you can get a high combo count as they bounce helplessly on her deathbubble.

Yeah some of them are actually really good, the lady with the pots and the lady with the drums and trees both have pretty awesome SW style musou attacks. I seem to remember Zhou Ci also having a "hold until the meter burns out" musou and it was pretty decent if I remember correctly.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Unlucky7 posted:

Is anyone having some trouble in Shouchun in the lu bu campaign? These generals are supposed to meet with other enemy generals. Normally in this situation they would beeline toward them, but they seem more interested in killing mooks.

They'll stop to fight Unit Commanders and other named guys. At the start of the battle wipe out as many of those as you can in that big area around your main camp. You can ignore the bridge engineers event, I've never had them fail even on Chaos. Just keep wiping out commanders and named guys until the generals come out. You have to babysit them along their path and keep taking out commanders to keep them moving. After you turn the first guy a whole wave of named guys come at you. Also, if you leave Lu Bu alone too long in the center path he'll get wrecked by the ballistae.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So, Ambition mode in DW 8 seems super grindy. Any general tips about what to focus on to make things go quicker and easier?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Wang Yi was the first character I got up to 99 in WO3 and she was pretty much constantly in my party when I was beating all the levels on Chaos to get Platinum, simply because of her ability to ignore arrows.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

So, Ambition mode in DW 8 seems super grindy. Any general tips about what to focus on to make things go quicker and easier?

In the long run, Materials are your biggest bottleneck by far. Early on you'll want to do as many Duels as possible, as that's where you'll get other main characters, but the rest of the time it wouldn't be amiss to only ever pick Materials levels and break every box or jar you see along your way.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Elliotw2 posted:

Don't use the crossbow, it's the worst weapon in every game it's in.

Not sure if they've changed it between games but the crossbow was devastatingly overpowered in DW 7 empires.

But there's a trick to using it right. One of the crossbow combos makes it so every follow up shot does massively increased damage for a few seconds afterwards, and if you just keep doing that combo again and again you become an unstoppable bolt throwing fool.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Throwing knives are the best ranged weapon when you don't use them at range. Super fast attacks and you just shotgun someone down at point-blank. They're just terminally dull, is all.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Stelas posted:

Throwing knives are the best ranged weapon when you don't use them at range. Super fast attacks and you just shotgun someone down at point-blank. They're just terminally dull, is all.

The worst thing about them to get used to, is that unless you have an element or attribute on them that'll stun or stagger an enemy, the weapon inherently doesn't do so on its own. If you're at close range with unaffixed throwing knives one could develop the incorrect opinion that they suck as you'll get hit right through your own attacks all the time.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sonova--health recovery seems a lot harder in DW8, and Ambition Mode too. I guess I need to make sure to bring bodyguards who can give me recovery items?

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Whoa, Zhang Jiao's story stage is a complete meat grinder of troops and generals. A nice place to get Fortune Hunter, I suppose.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Speedball posted:

Sonova--health recovery seems a lot harder in DW8, and Ambition Mode too. I guess I need to make sure to bring bodyguards who can give me recovery items?

Yeah, you definitely want at least one bodyguard who'll give you recovery items, and more than that, you want him/her set to defend you. I've found that they'll pretty consistently keep you alive if your health dips to red, though.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Any one got the link to that chinese site that was basically a hub list of tools for any Musou/Warriors game? I got things like the save editors for Samurai Warriors 2, a camera angle patch for Warriors Orochi, and all that stuff from there.

They were collected from all over with links to the BBSes where they were from, i think. Something with "san" in the name?

/edit: Wait, i think i found it: http://sangokusi.x0.com/
Japanese site, i confused it with the guy who made a lot of tools for the musou games, Van, who's chinese.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 16, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Remember to use your rage attack when you're low on health too. When you kill people with it, they are far more likely to drop items, so a large crowd will get your health back up pretty easily.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Duels own. I just got Cai Wenji, Xu Zhu, Dian Wei and Cao Cao from a single battle. :toot: Bow before Pang Tong bitches.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I haven't played DW since like 6 or 7 but I played a loving ton of 2,3,4,5

I see DW8 XXXL on steam, is that a good game? I think I heard good things about the base 8. How is the PC port?

How do the mechanics work nowadays? In like 3,4,5 you'd have all these combos off pressing square and ending with Triangle, but then in like 6 they changed that up for the fancy limit break system or whatever, but that system seemed really restricted and dumb to me, there were far fewer moves you could do than in the older ones, and you couldn't even do most of them unless you filled up some bar or picked up an item. Did they get rid of that poo poo? Or was that stuff really great and I'm just dumb?

The OP makes 8 sound like the best, but it was pretty brief.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
8 is more like 5 than 6, since everyone agreed that 6 was terrible, but keep in mind the PC port is kinda wonky. It seems to have issues with multicore processors (easily fixed), and they stripped the network modes for some reason.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It's not all multicores, just some. I've been running on an Athlon II X4 quad core CPU with no crashes or failed loads, max settings @1080p.

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's not all multicores, just some. I've been running on an Athlon II X4 quad core CPU with no crashes or failed loads, max settings @1080p.

Yeah similar results here, quad core, nvidia card, runs great. I think maybe the problem is more with hex cores and/or Windows 8? Or it's just totally random.

Really loving DW8, last mainline I played was... 5 on PS2? But I played the poo poo out of Orochi 3. 8 feels a lot more "cinematic" than any Warriors I ever played, you seem to have more attack options period on top of having two totally different weapons. The pool cue is rad as hell, you just turn into Venom from Guilty Gear. Holding down "call horse" to just magnetize onto the horse is like the biggest quality of life improvement they've ever made.

Pang Tong has been my boy historically but I'm not crazy about his moveset in this game for some reason. Plus you only get to play him once in story mode and it's the battle where he dies.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
One of the problems with the current story mode is that you aren't often given "unique perspective" type battles like Pang Tong at Chi Bi in past games.

They did this for the stages they added in DW7 XL and I still find it really disappointing that they didn't do it for DW8XL.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Can't seem to find anything about it on the web. Has anyone seen a problem like this?

Seems like certain textures are just missing in certain camera angles, and in others they flicker like crazy.

Maybe i can fix this with some graphics option?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Is there eventually going to be a way to throw experience points at unused characters like Warrior Orochi 3's Growth Points?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Speedball posted:

Is there eventually going to be a way to throw experience points at unused characters like Warrior Orochi 3's Growth Points?

Yes, it's an Ambition Mode building.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

HenryEx posted:

Can't seem to find anything about it on the web. Has anyone seen a problem like this?

Seems like certain textures are just missing in certain camera angles, and in others they flicker like crazy.

I've actually seen that on the PS3 version when you go really fast through a stage and it has to take a second to render. Does it go away eventually or is it permenant?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Seems permanent. If i turn the camera in pic 2 back to pic 1, the textures are gone again.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
Are you on an ATI card or an Nvidia card? If it's ATI, that might be the weird texture issue some games get because of either catalyst ai (disable it) or because of the inherent power saving downclocking. I get it more frequently on frostbite games but it happens in others. I'd suggest trying to set up a 500mhz base clock profile if that's the case.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

HenryEx posted:

I was getting that too, updated my video drivers and it fixed it. Using gtx 560ti

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I feel like a dolt for still not being able to figure this out, but how do you tell which element a commander is weak against? I have a ton of the skills you get from murdering people with a disadvantaged weapon, so I don't think I'm doing it right. 0_o

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Hahaha, as soon as I looked at those DW screenshots I started hearing buttrock in my head. Oh Dynasty Warriors, never change :allears:

ExMortis posted:

Yeah similar results here, quad core, nvidia card, runs great. I think maybe the problem is more with hex cores and/or Windows 8? Or it's just totally random.

Really loving DW8, last mainline I played was... 5 on PS2? But I played the poo poo out of Orochi 3. 8 feels a lot more "cinematic" than any Warriors I ever played, you seem to have more attack options period on top of having two totally different weapons.

Pang Tong has been my boy historically but I'm not crazy about his moveset in this game for some reason. Plus you only get to play him once in story mode and it's the battle where he dies.

This sounds great! I'll pick it up then. Yeah I liked Pang Tong a bunch too, he's Asian Gandalf.

ExMortis posted:

The pool cue is rad as hell, you just turn into Venom from Guilty Gear.

Wait... :wtc:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Omi no Kami posted:

So I feel like a dolt for still not being able to figure this out, but how do you tell which element a commander is weak against? I have a ton of the skills you get from murdering people with a disadvantaged weapon, so I don't think I'm doing it right. 0_o

If they have the blue thing over their head, their currently equipped weapon is weak to yours. Red exclamation means strong, no icon means neutral.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I forget who has the pool cue, but I played him in Warriors Orochi 3, he was one of the Jin characters. Jin gets all the weird weapons, because they're FROM THE FUTURE! (sorta)

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
That's Guo Jia. He's affiliated with Wei.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
No, that belong to Guo Jia, a Wei guy.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Yeah I don't really care for the orb and staff (or whatever's it's called) weapon. I feel like it has the problem most of the gimicky "do extra poo poo to get full functionality" weapons do in that they are still weaker or at best as strong as weapons that don't require dumb gimicks. The paint brush is my second least favorite weapon (after the loving useless crossbow).

While we're talking about crazy wizard men though, my girlfriend mentioned that Zhang Jiao kind of sounds like Dr. Orpheus from the Venture Bros when he yells and now I can't stop picturing him as Zhang Jiao.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
On the flip side, the war trident is a weapon with a gimmick and it's probably my favorite new one in ages. It's a great combination of flash and power, which is kind of a disappointment considering I don't think Yu Jin is selectable in more than one non-free mode level.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I haven't had much chance to use him as I haven't had much chance to play XL but I did spend some time with the magic carpet and that thing is annoying as hell.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Has anyone found this on sale anywhere else besides steam? Seems kind of strange thats the only distributor for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What's the deal with learning skills? I seem to only be able to do it on like every 10th officer i defeat.

I'm pretty sure i defeated 5 or so officers via Storm Rush, but only got 1 Mighty Roar skill so far.