Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Well she would have to find a similar skinned individual in order to pass the baby off as us. Or know someone who can do the same trick Ishamal did for Naomi and us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Theglavwen posted:

...yes? You're against getting to know her and ensuring she's an upright dude before marrying?

More that you're wondering whether the girl who just pulled off an elaborate lie in the hopes of having our instantly recognizable baby, and forcing a marriage is trustworthy.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
I didn't even want to marry the first time. Let's not double down. A

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Well she would have to find a similar skinned individual in order to pass the baby off as us. Or know someone who can do the same trick Ishamal did for Naomi and us.

If she's already pregnant, I'd assume that we'd get the, "You dishonoured me!" angry-gram in a couple months. Rumesh would wait long enough that she was showing, but not-so-long that there was an actual baby.

Then we'd get pushed into marrying her. The baby would arrive in Zepath, where Ramush would face much less scandal. If we'd fallen for it (and been fertile) we'd have been rightfully annoyed. But at that point, what could we do about it? I imagine Tudiya would just smack us for being so dumb as to have affairs with high-born women.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Cornuto posted:

More that you're wondering whether the girl who just pulled off an elaborate lie in the hopes of having our instantly recognizable baby, and forcing a marriage is trustworthy.

Ahhh, gotcha. I suppose I still wouldn't write her off entirely, as I'm sure baby-matchmaking-politicking isn't entirely unusual in this culture. Marriage is a valuable commodity, after all.

Although I think B's a dumb idea in any event, unless something changes.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Based on her apparent decisions and course of action in this society I suspect that there is a secret thread somewhere and she is being run by Goons.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
A, H

Y'all are fuckin' stoopid.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

I'll change my vote from B to P - Give snarls a chance to follow her around the city for a day, then try to talk to her

Yeah, she tricked us. But the 'trick' was that the high-born noble would have thought he was sleeping with a slave girl instead of another high-born noble. A pregnancy was (except for magical vasectomy) a possibility in either case. It's just that, in one case, we could have used our station to abandon the baby without fear of social consequences.

So, while it was a trick, it seems like a 'fair' one from the daughter's perspective. Doubly so, given that she's effectively a slave-for-life in her society, and as doing this to get some kind of decision over the direction of her life. It's hard to hold that against her. And I would respect the cunning.

If Ramush was involved, I'd feel differently, but that's because he's a king deceiving a guest.

falcon2424 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 16, 2014

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A I knew this wasn't going to be a huge deal.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

ShotgunWillie posted:

A, H

Y'all are fuckin' stoopid.

Yeah, I'm going to add H to my P vote. Ishamal should probably hear about this, only so if it does come back to bite us, it's not out of nowhere when we need his advice.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
A and H
The more we tell Ishamal the better I think

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Of course Ishamal's very first advice to us included never turning down getting laid.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A - We got more important things to worry about, like getting home to let Tudiya know that party preparations need to commence.

Edit: Just had a thought, someone else might have had this thought already and I didn't notice, but yeah.
What if, she was pregnant BEFORE we had sex with her? Maybe she had sex with some other guy, someone who Rimush would be much less understanding about the situation with, and she's hoping that by having sex with us, she can get us to claim that we're the dad?
Yes, I'm stealing this theory from an R.A. Salvatore novel, shut up. It's still a possibility.
Either way, lol because we're sterile.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 16, 2014

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Neraren posted:

Here's a thought:

P! Go talk to her, before deciding on a course of action that will probably affect both our lives. Find an opportune moment, and ask her what her deal is. We can at the very least find out if this was on her own initiative or not, and hey! Added bonus! We'll get to have at least one single conversation with her before we decide we're going to marry her.

for Plan Neraren. I also support asking Snarls if she's already with child.

edit: I forgot to also vote . I would like to tell Ishamal that I'm sorry I've been such a hard student, but I've started finally following his advice. His original advice. Then double-check to make sure she isn't carrying a magic baby.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 16, 2014

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
As mic as I would live to get to know her, we should hurry and get Mereniel's message to Tudiya. Guy thinks his son his dead. Let's relieve him of his misery.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
A few questions for Diog:

1: Do we have any cultural or legal knowledge involving the consequences of a woman posing as a slave in order to snag a husband?
2: Same question, but regarding the guy in the situation.
3: Are there any special rules for kings and their sons/daughters in a similar situation?
4: Could Rimush be pressured to offer a greater bride price (or a price of our choosing) to save face?

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

A

:laffo: Who called it? Someone called it.

That would be me! TheGlavwen, I believe you were saying something funny a day or two ago about my being paranoid? :smuggo:

(Honestly I probably only called this because I've watched too much Magnificent Century, a Turkish soap opera with all kinds of crazy harem ladies plotting and conniving ridiculous shennanigans. This stunt could totally be straight from one of their scripts. In fact, wouldn't be surprised if I did wach an episode like it at some point.)

Seriously tho, this is a good lesson for the future: women work behind the scenes in Ur, but we ignore their ambitions and desires at our own risk.

Anyways:

A + P I feel for her. I really do. It's got to be tough for a smart and ambitious woman to have such limited prospects. But I don't feel bad enough for her to mess up the happy family we have with Naomi. As far as her luck down the line…well…women have been faking virginity on their wedding nights since time immemorial. She's a clever girl, and I'm sure she'll figure it out when the times comes.

We should consult with Ish though, just to make sure there isn't any little loophole that could have given her a Creep Baby™.

Seconded on asking Snarls to smell if she's pregnant. He was able to smell Jalitha was fertile, so he should be able to do this I think.

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 16, 2014

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
Ask Snarls if she is already growing the pack.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

A Terrible Person posted:

1: Do we have any cultural or legal knowledge involving the consequences of a woman posing as a slave in order to snag a husband?
3: Are there any special rules for kings and their sons/daughters in a similar situation?
4: Could Rimush be pressured to offer a greater bride price (or a price of our choosing) to save face?

It is morally acceptable for men to sleep around, bounded only by the fact that the male relatives of the women they fornicate with may be rather angry.

Rape is a property crime, albeit one that might have men killing each other if a price is not paid or a marriage arranged.

Women are supposed to only have sex within marriage.

Married men cannot sleep with married women and it is punished by death.

There is a very clear double standard.

Prostitutes almost have the role of a third gender, as they are generally women without men in their lives and the words usually used to describe gender, i.e. he, she, her, him, when used on prostitutes, are gender neutral, i.e. them, they, it. They are seen as socially low but they are not punished by law or persecuted. The child of a prostitute cannot generally inherit. If a prostitute can prove who the father of their child is, they can appeal to the temple of El to force her client to marry her if she has been chaste since. This does happen, but rather rarely.

You are unaware of temple prostitutes in any temples beyond Baitel, perhaps other large cities have them? There are none here. Who the temple prostitutes in Baitel service is not something you know. The House of El is the second most holy place in the world and everything about it is prestigious, such that when temple prostitutes of Baitel are refered to, they are called "her" and "she" instead of "they" or "it".

Male prostitution, regardless of the client, is punishable by death.[1]

(Was working on the wiki, so I figured I'd throw this out there.)

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

FoxTerrier posted:

TheGlavwen, I believe you were saying something funny a day or two ago about my being paranoid? :smuggo:

Yeah probably, I'm a funny guy :colbert:

I've got a bit of a streak of being wrong going here now, actually. It was his daughter, and it was Danal. Next thing we know Danal is going to come back with that shark-tooth and it will be some sort of sorcerous artifact. All the things I think are face-value end up being fiendish machinations and everything I think is ~~*mysterious*~~ is actually just what it seems to be.

It's this Taanach air. It's all backwards. Got me all messed up.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Task Manager posted:

Ask Rimush who the slaves were that waited on us all week - we wanted to thank them for their service before we go.

Then, see if he says "Oh that girl that pours wine is my daughter not a slave!", or if he plays dumb.
You do so. He identifies her as his daughter and seemed a bit surprised you thought her a slave.

falcon2424 posted:

Question for the balls: Did any of you get any visitors last night?
You discover several did find actual slaves waiting for them in their beds.

falcon2424 posted:

Legal/social knowledge question: What would be the 'right' way to hint at interest in one of Rimush's youngest daughters? Like, hypothetically, how would it play out if we'd known she was his daughter and found that she was attractive and potentially worth courting? Is there a way to do that which doesn't require immediate action/declaration?
The "right" way would be to tell the head of your family, Tudiya who would then arrange it. You have enough notability and heroics and her birth order late enough you could likely get away with just asking Rimush if you wished to, however.

falcon2424 posted:

Question & Task for Snarls: Does Rimush's daughter seem to have a lover other than us?
This would involve the passage of time. Snarls nose does reveal she is not already pregnant.

Sogol posted:

In either case we would just need to make certain she is our unquestionable ally and understands beyond a doubt our relationship to Naomi as our first wife. If those conditions can be put in place then this is also all bonus.

Diog: traditionally would we need two house, or would multiple wives be traditionally expected to live together?
Unless a man has Tudiya-scale wives, social norms would have them all in one home.

Her actions have no moral agency. It is your fault. Unless she was married also, in which case she would be stones for infidelity. Not-Mesopotamia is barbaric at times.

You could be forced to marry her. Since YOU did not break your marriage vows or those of her nonexistent husband, your life is not in danger. You have committed a property crime, stealing her virginity from her dad. I'd like to reiterate that Not-Mesopotamia can be barbaric at times. Diog does not approve of women being treated like livestock.

No, except that the more Blooded a family is, the more they care about social norms. A little infidelity or extra-marital nookie among the unblooded might be swept aside easier.

He probably could, yes. This could be hugely embarrassing if you chose to blackmail him.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Triple [b]A[/] vote. No more marriages for at least thirty years.

We are shooting blanks. Nothing will happen. If she gets pregnant then Ish screwed up and poo poo will go down. It's a possibility. But not a big one.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Diogines posted:

You do so. He identifies her as his daughter and seemed a bit surprised you thought her a slave.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Is it common for the King to be served wine by a relative?

Diogines posted:

Uncommon. He is loaded, that is what slaves and servants are for.

:argh:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Nolaterif posted:

It is morally acceptable for men to sleep around, bounded only by the fact that the male relatives of the women they fornicate with may be rather angry.

Rape is a property crime, albeit one that might have men killing each other if a price is not paid or a marriage arranged.

Women are supposed to only have sex within marriage.

Married men cannot sleep with married women and it is punished by death.

There is a very clear double standard.

Prostitutes almost have the role of a third gender, as they are generally women without men in their lives and the words usually used to describe gender, i.e. he, she, her, him, when used on prostitutes, are gender neutral, i.e. them, they, it. They are seen as socially low but they are not punished by law or persecuted. The child of a prostitute cannot generally inherit. If a prostitute can prove who the father of their child is, they can appeal to the temple of El to force her client to marry her if she has been chaste since. This does happen, but rather rarely.

You are unaware of temple prostitutes in any temples beyond Baitel, perhaps other large cities have them? There are none here. Who the temple prostitutes in Baitel service is not something you know. The House of El is the second most holy place in the world and everything about it is prestigious, such that when temple prostitutes of Baitel are refered to, they are called "her" and "she" instead of "they" or "it".

Male prostitution, regardless of the client, is punishable by death.[1]

(Was working on the wiki, so I figured I'd throw this out there.)
All of this is correct, repeating an earlier post.

I expanded on it slightly in my last post, explaining the consequences for actually sleeping with a married person, as opposed to an unmarried one. Death. Adultery for a woman is a big deal. A married man and a married woman, death for both. A married woman and an unmarried man, death for the woman, no prescribed punishment for the man, however the woman's family is likely to be very pissed off. A married man and an unmarried woman, no crime, potentially pissed off relatives of the woman as well as a potential property crime.

Nookie which does not break marriage vows can only property crime though marriage can also be forced in some circumstances, i.e. a child results.

If the nookie involves the unblooded or people who don't have male relatives who are pissed off on their behalf, then no one cares.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 16, 2014

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

A Who cares we're shooting blanks. We don't need to care about another wife when we're traveling around and are around for our son and wife sporadically. Let's just pay it no mind unless she tries to pull a baby mama situation down the way.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

I'm pretty sure we're the worst diplomat ever.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I actually kind of like the idea of marrying her, I just want to talk with her first, see what she's like as a person rather than just as a bedwarmer. And, as Diog has said, the proper formal channels go through Tudiya.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nolaterif posted:

I'm pretty sure we're the worst diplomat ever.

Pretty sure we're the best diplomat ever.

I don't actually care, but other people seem to. Does Enki think Keturah was a virgin before she and Enki had sex? I assume Naomi was a virgin when she married Enki, so Enki probably has some idea of the biological concomitants of having sex with a virgin.

I respect her moxie, but she obviously wants a kid we can't give her. Not an ideal recipe for a happy relationship.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Voting Slaan's O

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Althair posted:

I didn't even want to marry the first time. Let's not double down. A

Agreeing with this sentiment. Naomi has been good to us but we absolutely don't need this right now.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Voting A until it becomes a problem. Isn't that the best way to handle all issues in life?

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
I don't particularly want to marry the lady either, but she's got gumption! It's worth gauging her attitude to see what the deal is.

Plus we get to make Diog roleplay as a sassy lady.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Neraren posted:

Plus we get to make Diog roleplay as a sassy lady.

That's not what he's usually doing? :confused:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
This would never have happened if you guys voted to ask her questions until she fell asleep. :colbert:

P.S. I wonder what Mereniel thinks of all this.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
By the way, 'Keturah' is the name of one of Abraham's concubines from Ye Olde Testament. :v:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Sounds like a good reason for marriage to me.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
N This situation can go bad fast. She's pregnant, but it isn't ours, she will raise a stink about us and to cut it off at the head lets come clean to the King before it winds its way back.

The less domestic drama the more spiritual monster slayer poo poo.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Nah, Snarls' nose revealed that she's not already pregnant. Unless we did something, that's not a current concern.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Theglavwen posted:

Nah, Snarls' nose revealed that she's not already pregnant. Unless we did something, that's not a current concern.

Snarls nose is a lot better than I expected o_o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
If we marry her, about how much could we expect as a bride price, and about how much will she cost us per year in silver?