Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

My brother's old '94 Civic 5spd. Sold it to a friend some years ago. She's being gifted a newish car from her parents and was just going to scrap the Civic. I offered scrap value and she took it. Now it needs tires and a whole new exhaust but it runs like a champ. She was in a minor fender bender so the front bumper is borked and the hood is a bit messed up but I saw no structural damage to the bumper supports.

So what should I do with my $350 Civic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'll give you $400 :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'll give you $450.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was smoked in.

drat it.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

It was smoked in.

Yeah, you keep it...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PCOS Bill posted:

Yeah, you keep it...

My sister drove it for two years, she was probably smoking in it back then and I forgot. How much of the '95 swaps over? There's an almost complete car in the pick n pull.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

It was smoked in.

drat it.

Go to the detailing thread and read about ratbert's ozone machine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Go to the detailing thread and read about ratbert's ozone machine.

Eh, i have air fresheners, it's a $350 car.

Edit: Man, she said she'd had a fender bender but the bumper looks fine. Just the hood looks beat.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 15, 2014

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Rhyno posted:

Import it to Canada, sell it for $5k+ to some 2f2f ricer, laugh all the way to the bank/credit union.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

MattD1zzl3 posted:

They shouldnt suffer at all

The compressor works harder as there is less air density, so there is more temperature rise for the same air volume.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Edit: Man, she said she'd had a fender bender but the bumper looks fine. Just the hood looks beat.

Buy a few cans of Ozium and spray the car and let it sit for a few hours and repeat till it no longer smells. Or sell it to me for 500 and ill drive out there ASAP

smax
Nov 9, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

Keep em off the curbs and they will last a long time. My Petrols are still as shiney as the day I got em 32k miles ago. Be sure to wax em too.

Wheel wax, I knew I was forgetting something. Hopefully I'll get everything aligned, washed, and mounted this weekend.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

yo teal Civic

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

smax posted:

These showed up today:

Now I need to get an alignment and (more importantly) to wash my car before I put them on. Then I can post actual pictures.

Those look good, I'd rock Hockenheims or Nurburgrings on drat near everything. Looking forward to final pics.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Somewhere between Barstow and Las Vegas...

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Fucknag posted:

Boost pressure pushes against a fixed spring tension; the wastegate will not open until that pressure is reached.

It'll take longer to spool, sure, since it has to spin faster to pressurize the thinner air, but unless something is very wrong it should still hit the same absolute pressure. That means the same air mass into the cylinders, same fuel burn, same power on boost.

Why do you think some of the very first applications for superchargers (both belt- and turbine-driven) were for high-altitude aircraft engines?

Mechanical wastegate springs and boost gauges operate on relative pressure, not absolute. A 9psi spring will give you 23.7psi absolute at sea level but only 20.7 at 5000'. There are ways to have the wastegate adjust to reach a target absolute pressure (usually electronic), but to hit 23.7psi at 5000' the spring and the boost gauge will both be at 12psi instead of 9.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 16, 2014

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Muffinpox posted:

Mechanical wastegate springs and boost gauges operate on relative pressure, not absolute. A 9psi spring will give you 23.7psi absolute at sea level but only 20.7 at 5000'. There are ways to have the wastegate adjust to reach a target absolute pressure (usually electronic), but to hit 23.7psi at 5000' the spring and the boost gauge will both be at 12psi instead of 9.

I guess you can tell who's made power at altitude and who hasn't...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SouthsideSaint posted:

Buy a few cans of Ozium and spray the car and let it sit for a few hours and repeat till it no longer smells. Or sell it to me for 500 and ill drive out there ASAP

Will do. I don't actually have it here yet as the front tires are so busted they flattened in the two days it's been sitting in front of her apartment.

Chriskory posted:

yo teal Civic

'sup.

As I was never really familiar with the car, can anyone tell me if it's some ideal 2F2F wetdream motor based on the pic?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 15, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Krakkles posted:

It's probably the D16Z6, which is to say ... ehhhh no not really.

If you want to be sure, the engine code is stamped on the front of the engine, under the upper radiator hose in that shot, to the left of the exhaust manifold.

I will look when we go to rescue it on Monday. According to my brother's old fuel log he was getting 44mpg on average in that car.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Das Volk posted:

I guess you can tell who's made power at altitude and who hasn't...

To be fair Florida doesn't really have "altitude" as such.

Also lol.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Rhyno posted:

Will do. I don't actually have it here yet as the front tires are so busted they flattened in the two days it's been sitting in front of her apartment.

'sup.

As I was never really familiar with the car, can anyone tell me if it's some ideal 2F2F wetdream motor based on the pic?

Looks like a d15b2 to me, which is the stock motor on those cars. You can do a couple of things to it, but you'd be better off with a different engine if you want to go faster.

D16z6's get really fun when you throw boost at them.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Fucknag posted:

Boost pressure pushes against a fixed spring tension; the wastegate will not open until that pressure is reached.

It'll take longer to spool, sure, since it has to spin faster to pressurize the thinner air, but unless something is very wrong it should still hit the same absolute pressure. That means the same air mass into the cylinders, same fuel burn, same power on boost.

Why do you think some of the very first applications for superchargers (both belt- and turbine-driven) were for high-altitude aircraft engines?
As Bajaha says below, the wastegate references local air pressure. If it's a 7psi spring, all that means is that it takes 7psi above local air pressure to move it. I'm pretty sure there isn't a 2nd vac hose coming off my wastegate and running all the way to California for it to reference sea level air pressure. No, all it knows is my local air pressure, which at 5300ft, is about 3-4psi lower than sea level on a good day.

This is all very easy to demonstrate, when I power up my Megasquirt without the engine running, the MAP is about 78-82kpa while at sea level it would be 100kpa. I have to build 3-4 psi of boost on my boost gauge before my MAP sensor reads 100kpa, while an NA Miata at sea level would pull 100kpa at WOT.

Bajaha posted:

Technically you still have atmospheric pressure in addition to the spring, which at a higher altitude could influence your peak boost numbers, although not as severely as was mentioned earlier.
Boost pressure is not the same as absolute pressure. Boost pressure is totally dependent on local air pressure. I drive up to the summit of Pike's Peak and my boost gauge is still reading 9psi, but the absolute pressure inside my manifold is much less than at the bottom of the mountain and I am making less horsepower.

EL Bombastico
Oct 13, 2004

* power up

Rhyno posted:

Since the wheels are steelies, I'm gonna guess that EJ Civic is a DX model that came with the 1.5L motor with no vtecs. Not worth doing anything to it at all. Thorpe is right though. Single cam D16s with a turbo are pretty fun for not much money.

Grab the hood from the junkyard and strip out the interior to get rid of that smell of smoke. $350 for that is a nice score.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Rhyno posted:

My brother's old '94 Civic 5spd. Sold it to a friend some years ago. She's being gifted a newish car from her parents and was just going to scrap the Civic. I offered scrap value and she took it. Now it needs tires and a whole new exhaust but it runs like a champ. She was in a minor fender bender so the front bumper is borked and the hood is a bit messed up but I saw no structural damage to the bumper supports.

So what should I do with my $350 Civic?

Honda legos

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only thing I had planned on doing with it was to save money on gas.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Rhyno posted:

The only thing I had planned on doing with it was to save money on gas.

Boring. You can also get good gas mileage out of the fun honda engines

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Nodoze posted:

Seriously, in my boosted d16z6 1991 hatchback I'd see insane things like 30-37 highway mpg if I stayed out of boost.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Dyno tuned the Vette today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4bAAWEgCq4

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

Thorpe posted:

Seriously, in my boosted d16z6 1991 hatchback I'd see insane things like 30-37 highway mpg if I stayed out of boost.

I'm not doing an engine swap on a $350 beater.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
I love a < $500 car.

It makes me feel like such a good owner when I buy an air freshener, floor mats or vacuum it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chriskory posted:

I love a < $500 car.

It makes me feel like such a good owner when I buy an air freshener, floor mats or vacuum it.

I want to keep it that way. Made a call about tires today, just putting used tires on it. Local place has em for $25 a corner. I hope I can just mess with the hood but she tells me it's pretty hosed. Probably do a full service when I get it.

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
Speaking of MPG, I would like to introduce the new aircraft carrier I just bought a month ago.

Its a 2014 F250 Super Duty XLT Supercab 6.2L with all the toys I wanted like power telescoping tow mirrors and shift on the fly electronic locking rear axle :swoon:.

The first new vehicle I have ever owned but I've always wanted one and finally decided to go for it. Its super roomy inside and rides so much better than my old lifted jeep (big surprise right). Shes got a pretty big rear end when it comes to parking lots, I'm just glad I didn't go for the long bed and with the power folding mirrors I can squeeze between most things with relative ease. Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do about the pansy rear end factory tires. Also Its going to be neat having a warranty I wonder what its like.

This isn't going to fit in very well with all these car posts is it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A friend just reached out to me on FB asking how much I actually want to keep the Civic. The seller and I have not really publicized the price we agreed on. This other friend offered $500 as is. Take the beer money or save the gas money?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Well huh. Lucky you. I still haven't even seen one yet.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

A friend just reached out to me on FB asking how much I actually want to keep the Civic. The seller and I have not really publicized the price we agreed on. This other friend offered $500 as is. Take the beer money or save the gas money?

I'd keep it, personally. For $350 it won't take you long to recoup the money you've put into it via fuel savings if you have a decent commute.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Sounds crazy good. Anything done to it to get that amount of hp? Aren't they rated at 460 from the factory?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Drive it, fix it up a little bit. Get the smoker smell out. Resell it later for more than $500.

superscumbag
Oct 25, 2012

2004, 6 speed, brembo, lsd

superscumbag fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Firstly we have the daily driver.... Its good on fuel and has lovely french electrical problems but it runs and drives fine.

Then we have the new... to me obviously... Ford Transit 1989 with a 2.5di in it. runs like a champ and I only paid £200 for it with tax and test! Plans are for a camper interior, after the rust removal and welding and sorting the exhaust blow.

You all can stop being jealous now. How I miss the lancia, and VW camper.