Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Dewgy posted:

If they have the blue thing over their head, their currently equipped weapon is weak to yours. Red exclamation means strong, no icon means neutral.

Oh hey, that's useful... thanks!

Completely unrelated note: the curved sword is obscenely awesome. I was getting my pirate lols out with zhou tai earlier, and went from one musou and nearly dead to full e'erything just by standing in a crowd of mooks and spamming his 'everything around you dies' musou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Skills only have a chance of upgrading, dependant on difficulty level. Have fun!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Speedball posted:

Sonova--health recovery seems a lot harder in DW8, and Ambition Mode too. I guess I need to make sure to bring bodyguards who can give me recovery items?

When you get to the point you can reforge weapons in Ambition mode, having 10'd out Recovery and Velocity just about trivializes any worries about health maintenance. Adding Jubilation to the weapon would likely denecessitate ever having to hold down block again.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Captain Duvel posted:

Has anyone found this on sale anywhere else besides steam? Seems kind of strange thats the only distributor for it.

The PC version is through Steam only because Koei doesn't care about the pc very much. They like the sales and whatever, but the PS versions are where all the attention is going.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Stelas posted:

Skills only have a chance of upgrading, dependant on difficulty level. Have fun!

It's worth noting that this is dependent on the inherent difficulty level of the stage and the difficulty setting that you have it on.

For example, Wei's Hu Lao Gate on Normal will give you less of a chance to learn a skill than say Lu Bu's historical last stage on Normal.

Also it's a straight random chance, as in it's not "predetermined" or anything so you can actually save before doing the task that could give you a level and reload if you wanted to when you don't get it.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

HenryEx posted:

What's the deal with learning skills? I seem to only be able to do it on like every 10th officer i defeat.

I'm pretty sure i defeated 5 or so officers via Storm Rush, but only got 1 Mighty Roar skill so far.

It's random. Just keep meeting the requirements and they'll gain levels eventually.

EDIT: drat, gotta learn to refresh before I post.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

5er posted:

When you get to the point you can reforge weapons in Ambition mode, having 10'd out Recovery and Velocity just about trivializes any worries about health maintenance. Adding Jubilation to the weapon would likely denecessitate ever having to hold down block again.

Yeah, lifesteal is the most luxurious quality in any beat them up.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 17, 2014

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

So does anyone have a sort of guide to Ambition mode? I already noticed that doing material maps seems the best but other than that I have no idea how to maximize my time in that mode. Also doing 30 missions in a row seems really difficult since I think I did maybe 8 with a level 102 Lu Bu and the health bars and defense on the guys was already high. Are you just supposed to do that on beginner?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ChaosReaper posted:

So does anyone have a sort of guide to Ambition mode? I already noticed that doing material maps seems the best but other than that I have no idea how to maximize my time in that mode. Also doing 30 missions in a row seems really difficult since I think I did maybe 8 with a level 102 Lu Bu and the health bars and defense on the guys was already high. Are you just supposed to do that on beginner?

You have Lu Bu to level 102 and eight rounds is tough? I took Zhou Tai at level 50 to round 9, and the only reason I stopped is I wasn't doing enough damage to hit the time limit, I'd figure at 102 you'd have a bit more oomph. Do you have bodyguards? Are you upgrading them? How are your weapons?

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

No bodyguards because I didn't see the point of them. I'm using Lu Bu's sixth weapon and Yuan's fifth weapon. I started on normal if that matters.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ChaosReaper posted:

No bodyguards because I didn't see the point of them. I'm using Lu Bu's sixth weapon and Yuan's fifth weapon. I started on normal if that matters.

Bodyguards make people face away from you by way of distracting them, which is handier than it sounds. Are your weapons upgraded at all? You can stack some crazy poo poo on there if you reforge weapons at the armory.

e: Oh yeah, bodyguards also collect items for you, give you stat buffs, and give gems to you after you use them for a few rounds too. Even if they're useless in combat, they give you extra free poo poo.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Dewgy posted:

If they have the blue thing over their head, their currently equipped weapon is weak to yours. Red exclamation means strong, no icon means neutral.

To add to this, the system is literally rock-paper-scissors, except with primary colors.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Which facility in Ambition gives you the ability to level up other guys? I want to know which to build up first.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Question, if I wasn't a fan of DW7 because of the stiffness of the controls but liked Sengoku Basara, is DW8XL any better or just more of the same?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The one you get for having 700 recruited officers at once.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

The one you get for having 700 recruited officers at once.

drat, I'm still only at 400-something. Guess I need to grind out a few more easy-mode battles.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Falcon2001 posted:

Question, if I wasn't a fan of DW7 because of the stiffness of the controls but liked Sengoku Basara, is DW8XL any better or just more of the same?
It plays like a Dynasty Warriors game. If you want a Sengoku Basara game, get a Sengoku Basara game.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I was going to ignore the Bond thing in ambitions mode until it turned out that, over the course of about six lines of dialogue, every opposite sexed character confesses love and every same sexed character either says you're friends or "friends" to whoever you're currently playing which is silly enough that I'm grinding everyone

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
I'm currently streaming this dw8 pc version because I'm a huge nerd in case anyone wants to watch:
http://www.twitch.tv/kreczor

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

RentACop posted:

I was going to ignore the Bond thing in ambitions mode until it turned out that, over the course of about six lines of dialogue, every opposite sexed character confesses love and every same sexed character either says you're friends or "friends" to whoever you're currently playing which is silly enough that I'm grinding everyone

If you choose to do this, this will be by far the longest grind in the game. But you should get all the other Ambition mode trophies along the way.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Haha, the siege spear is so awesome. That's one thing WO3 doesn't have.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

It plays like a Dynasty Warriors game. If you want a Sengoku Basara game, get a Sengoku Basara game.

Well, fair enough. :\

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't mean that in a cockish way, I just meant that Dynasty Warriors is its own franchise and Sengoku Basara is its own franchise. No Dynasty Warriors game is ever gonna get to a point where it plays as fast as Sengoku Basara, so it's best not to get your hopes up for that if that's what you're looking for.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

I didn't mean that in a cockish way, I just meant that Dynasty Warriors is its own franchise and Sengoku Basara is its own franchise. No Dynasty Warriors game is ever gonna get to a point where it plays as fast as Sengoku Basara, so it's best not to get your hopes up for that if that's what you're looking for.

Yeah, that's a fair answer, just a disappointing one, since SB3U and SB4 haven't (and probably won't) make it stateside.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Verranicus posted:

Hey guys, been really enjoying DW8 on PC, but was curious about the PC version of DW7. Is there any sort of English patch worth a drat for the game floating around out there?

Quoting myself because this didn't get an answer. Really looking for some more DW goodness on PC once I finish 8. I've seen an English patch mentioned on some sites but I've been too wary tot ry downloading any of them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think I see why they have themes for the Ambition Mode as DLC…since it's a grindy thing and you keep going back to the hub, it's so you don't get sick of looking at the same dirty village all the time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
DW8's random insertion of Three Kingdom scenes is really jarring, especially the inclusion of the Lu Bu bow bet. I kick Yuan Shu's rear end and then randomly Lu Bu brings up a bet to make them stop fighting?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Speedball posted:

I think I see why they have themes for the Ambition Mode as DLC…since it's a grindy thing and you keep going back to the hub, it's so you don't get sick of looking at the same dirty village all the time.

Well, it changes once you finish the big building. Then you have a choice between cobbled Chinese town or feudal Japanese (so muddy instead of dirty).

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
How do the bonds work in Ambition?

Do i have to use the guy/gal as a bodyguard? If so, how to inrease the bodyguard points?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Do i have to use the guy/gal as a bodyguard? If so, how to inrease the bodyguard points?

You increase your Bodyguard level by using orders. That isn't pressing the d-pad to switch between guard and attack, that's actually pausing the game and going to Bodyguard Skills. Fire off everyone's unique at the start of the battle, then keep using Point Defence as you move around the map, and you'll probably jump 15 levels in a single go.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
In Ambition mode, is it possible to order allies (Not bodyguards) to attack or otherwise not just stand around? I've only seen them move in unconventional battles (To the exit or following me) and great battles (Where they tend to instantly get crushed).

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Stelas posted:

You increase your Bodyguard level by using orders. That isn't pressing the d-pad to switch between guard and attack, that's actually pausing the game and going to Bodyguard Skills. Fire off everyone's unique at the start of the battle, then keep using Point Defence as you move around the map, and you'll probably jump 15 levels in a single go.

By bodyguard level you mean the Fee threshold, to 'equip' stronger bodyguards, right? You increase your maximum Fee by using orders?

And what about that Leadership level? Where do i get EXP for that, or is that what you meant with bodyuard level? Also, what does it actually do?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Dong Tuna: Great name, or greatest name?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's usually done 'Dong Tu Na' Not 'Dong Tuna'. But that seems to vary from game to game.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Dong Tuna: Great name, or greatest name?

He's no He Man.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

HenryEx posted:

By bodyguard level you mean the Fee threshold, to 'equip' stronger bodyguards, right? You increase your maximum Fee by using orders?

And what about that Leadership level? Where do i get EXP for that, or is that what you meant with bodyuard level? Also, what does it actually do?

The quick answer is: issue orders and all the numbers go up. Moreso when they are successful.

The longer answer: Every character starts at Leadership level 0. Playing a character, assigning bodyguards for that character, then issuing orders to those bodyguards in a battle will get you "FEAT." Feat is Leadership EXP basically. You get 5 Feat for issuing an order (besides the basics Guard and Mobilize) and another 30 Feat if that order is a success. The higher your Leadership level, the higher your maximum fee can be. When your Leadership reaches level 99, you'll have a 99 Fee limit that lets you have 3 playable character bodyguards.

Issuing bodyguards orders also builds up those bodyguards' skill levels (the 1/2 or 1/4, etc numbers by their names) and your bonds with them. You can also raise their skill levels by using other allies to "train" them at camp. The higher the skill level of a bodyguard the more times they can perform their unique action (Fire Attack, Ambush, etc) and they may learn another one.

Basically, always take 3 bodyguards and always issue orders even on easy battles. As soon as one order is successful, issue another, and on and on. Even if you only like using certain characters, you should still build up others. That way they'll give a bigger boost when you use them to train your main people. Also always talk to playable characters in camp to build up your bonds with them there, too.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Say what you want about the english voice acting, it could be worse :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFA08BJUtPo

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 17, 2014

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Prism posted:

He's no He Man.

Aren't most of these guys Nanman troops? It would be cool if in 9 they get their own campaign Lu Bu style, but then again I have no idea how much backstory they have either historically or ROTK.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Yeah, sorry, my bad. They're one and the same - Leadership level ups your Fee threshold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gonna make my bodyguards in Ambition mode Dong Tuna, He Man and Dong Wang as soon as possible.