Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Here is the cover Criterion Cast is using for Y Tu Mamá También if anyone was interested.

I don't think its too bad if it's official. It fits the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The_Rob posted:

Out of focus and with occasional lens flares? I don't remember the look of the movie so I don't know if that's accurate

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

The_Rob posted:

Here is the cover Criterion Cast is using for Y Tu Mamá También if anyone was interested.

This is hideous.

TrixRabbi posted:

It's seems like such a superfluous thing to complain about, but I despise the StudioCanal bumper on older films. It's hideous and obnoxious and completely clashes with the tone of the movies they stick it in front of.

They've had like, three bumpers and they've all been awful. I mute my TV when they play.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

mod sassinator posted:

Basically as soon as I hear a Criterion is going out of print I immediately think about buying it now, even if I might not be a huge fan.

How do people usually find out that a Criterion is going out of print?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mercaptopropyl posted:

How do people usually find out that a Criterion is going out of print?

They announce it before they're gone.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

StudioCanal has a nice logo now, but all the previous logos are beyond obnoxious. Goddamn French. Up there with MGM slapping Leo on every film with the overly loud roar.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

TrixRabbi posted:

It's seems like such a superfluous thing to complain about, but I despise the StudioCanal bumper on older films. It's hideous and obnoxious and completely clashes with the tone of the movies they stick it in front of.

HUNH!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Swagger Dagger posted:

They announce it before they're gone.

Yeah folks usually post in this thread with a heads up about OOP stuff. It doesn't happen that often, maybe a half dozen times a year.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Cacator posted:

I've got the others you listed except for Ran, had to settle for the studiocanal version :(

The StudioCanal version of Ran isn't awful. It's just not as good as the Criterion.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Egbert Souse posted:

StudioCanal has a nice logo now, but all the previous logos are beyond obnoxious. Goddamn French. Up there with MGM slapping Leo on every film with the overly loud roar.

That doesn't bother me as much, partly because there's the nostalgic old Hollywood appeal of the MGM bumper. The StudioCanal thing however looks like it was made on an iMac in the 90s. Doesn't exactly set the mood when you're trying to watch Ran or Pierrot le fou.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
I feel like Criterion is running out of steam on the Eclipse series. They're announced/released less and less often, Kobayashi feels like it was mid-last year, Fassbinder in December and Satyajit Ray in February(?). Kinda reminds me of the ill-fated Art-House Essential series (which, I'll admit was doomed from the start).

I would love it if they released a set every other month, no matter how obscure it is or how many titles are included therein. For example there are only 3 titles in the newest Satyajit Ray set and it's still one of the most sought after releases among all the cinephiles I know both online and off. I know it all comes down to licensing and rights ownership, but how about a Mexican Bunuel set? Or a Late Chabrol? Or something wacky like an 80's Korean Cinema set?

I dunno, I guess I'm just sad to see a good thing on its way out.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
I think it's less to do with running out of steam and more to do with not wanting to release something for the sake of releasing it. Which is preferable.

On a related note, I've never grabbed an Eclipse set...which ones are among your favourites?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Ratedargh posted:

I think it's less to do with running out of steam and more to do with not wanting to release something for the sake of releasing it. Which is preferable.

On a related note, I've never grabbed an Eclipse set...which ones are among your favourites?

Pearls of the Czech New Wave

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Ratedargh posted:

My favorites are the Basil Dearden, Mikio Naruse and Raffaello Matarazzo sets.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Ratedargh posted:

I mean, if streams are up and Eclipse sales are way down then that would make business sense, although initially I thought it was part of the conscious change in approach that has them licensing big studio films to give them the deluxe treatment.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Ratedargh posted:

Louis Malle's documentaries.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

On that note I wonder how the Fassbinder set has sold. Back before Blu-Ray (let alone what led to combo packs) and the rise of streaming it used to be a huge deal when Criterion provided a much-needed upgrade to a lovely Fox Lorber transfer, but now the baseline expectation for a customer base that's nearly 2/3 Blu-Ray, the baseline expectation for an upgrade has shifted to, say, the Demy box.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Lubitsch Musicals is a lot of fun. The Love Parade is one of the funniest classic comedies.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Ratedargh posted:

The out-of-print Carlos Saura Flamenco trilogy is really good, and I really love Nagisa Oshima's Outlaw Sixties, though Oshima is a bit of an acquired taste.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I bought the Eclipse Kaurismaki Proletariat Trilogy because it was in the bargain bin at Borders when they wrre going out of business. I have no clue about any of the movies and haven't watched any yet. Which one is a good place to start?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Just watch them in release year order.

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.

Ratedargh posted:

TrixRabbi posted:

Pearls of the Czech New Wave

This and Nikkatsu Noir are the only two I've bothered buying after getting them from the local library.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I have the Robert Downey Sr. set and it's worth a look if you can get it at a discount. Even if it's just for Putney Swope alone.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Ratedargh posted:

I haven't seen many, but I watched and enjoyed everything in the Sam Fuller set. I wish The Steel Helmet would have gotten it's own spine though

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Dr.Caligari posted:

I haven't seen many, but I watched and enjoyed everything in the Sam Fuller set. I wish The Steel Helmet would have gotten it's own spine though

Every set generally has one of these. Putney Swope and Daisies are totally deserving of their own releases. It would have been amazing to get an audio commentary fro Vera Chytilova while she was still alive.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I may have asked this before, but would anyone be interested in trading some Criterion DVD's? (I don't have and am not looking for Blu Rays, which maybe makes this a moot point for most of you.) I'm willing to part with Sanjuro and Vengeance Is Mine, if anyone would like to make an offer.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
So, about that new interview Criterion was going to put on the Life Aquatic Blu-ray but then apparently cancelled, the one where they were going to talk with Goldblum, Murray, Dafoe, etc.

Turns out they actually did film the interview, but it didn't make it on the disc for some reason. So they posted it online!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Is it possible to get replacement cases? I got a copy of Nashville and one of the DVD holding center things is broken, and the back of the cardboard slip is kinda hosed up.

This wouldn't be an issue if they used the normal PS3 game type cases for all their releases :mad:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Contact them, they're super friendly about case replacements and will ship you a new one for free.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Was wondering when the next flash sale would be and came across this oddity: http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/criterions-flash-sale-just-say-no

quote:

I've come to the realization that I don't need to own a film to feel ownership of it. Once I've seen a film, no one can take that experience away from me. Watching something grants me entrance into a community with whom I share that common ground and if I want to refresh that knowledge, that can easily be accomplished without bringing an extra possession into my home, no matter how impressive the transfer or enticing a bonus feature.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

fenix down posted:

Was wondering when the next flash sale would be[/url]

It's going to either be in September or October.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Contact them, they're super friendly about case replacements and will ship you a new one for free.

I guess they've changed their policy, they said I can order replacement cases for 5 dollars each

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Thanks for the recommendations on Eclipse sets, everyone! That was a really varied selection. I have a lot of viewing to do.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Did anyone recommend the Allan King set? It's great. A Married Couple is so good it could've justified its own Criterion release.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Ratedargh posted:

Thanks for the recommendations on Eclipse sets, everyone! That was a really varied selection. I have a lot of viewing to do.

I didn't see Silent Ozu mentioned so let me mention that.

Silent Ozu.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Did anyone recommend the Allan King set? It's great. A Married Couple is so good it could've justified its own Criterion release.

I really need to watch them, I bought the set a year ago and haven't taken it off the shelf yet.

Seems like everyone has a different favourite Eclipse set, which is definitely a good thing. Mine are: Late Ozu and When Horror Came to Shochiku.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Pick up the Eclipse Jean Gremillon set if you're into 1930s French dramas (Renoir, Vigo, Carne, Duvivier, et al), even though all three films are from the 1940s.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Starscream posted:

When Horror Came to Shochiku.
I was hoping this one was good. I blind bought it - which I never do - simply because it sounded fantastic. Haven't gotten to watch any yet.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Dying at Grace is my favorite... so powerful.

These are the ones I own:

Early Bergman
Aki Kaurismaki's Proletariat Trilogy
Aki Kaurismaki's Leningrad Cowboys
Nikkatsu Noir
Carlos Saura's Flamenco Trilogy
Late Ray
The Warped World of Koreyoshi Kurahara

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I hope Things to Come is as rad as it sounds. And I feel like I'm going to know if I'll find Slacker funny or super obnoxious pretty much immediately.