Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wonder, do our names sound as consistently funny in any other language as these (old, anyway) Chinese names sound in ours?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

What's the difference between Temper and Weapon Fusion?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder, do our names sound as consistently funny in any other language as these (old, anyway) Chinese names sound in ours?

Dick Trickle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Takoluka posted:

Dick Trickle.

Butch Otter, a real man winning real elections.

Do I have to unlock something in ambition mode to issue bodyguard orders? I'm not particularly far into the mode (just finished the first duel mission) and I haven't had/found the option yet.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Barudak posted:

Butch Otter, a real man winning real elections.

Do I have to unlock something in ambition mode to issue bodyguard orders? I'm not particularly far into the mode (just finished the first duel mission) and I haven't had/found the option yet.

Just hit the pause button when you're in the middle of battle, the orders are a really small list of possible stuff for them to do.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Takoluka posted:

Dick Trickle.
I'm talking consistently. For example, like I said earlier, "ng" is an inherently funny sound in English and a common one in Chinese. Are there sounds and patterns that that are common in English but sounds funny to someone else somewhere else?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm talking consistently. For example, like I said earlier, "ng" is an inherently funny sound in English and a common one in Chinese. Are there sounds and patterns that that are common in English but sounds funny to someone else somewhere else?

Maybe I don't see it. Like, names like Deng Ai and Man Chong sound fine to me, but Dong Tuna just strikes a chord so perfectly.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Takoluka posted:

Maybe I don't see it. Like, names like Deng Ai and Man Chong sound fine to me, but Dong Tuna just strikes a chord so perfectly.
Deng Ai would be fine with me if it weren't for the fact that they pronounce it Dung Eye and he is constantly talking about his doody.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Static Rook posted:

They'll stop to fight Unit Commanders and other named guys. At the start of the battle wipe out as many of those as you can in that big area around your main camp. You can ignore the bridge engineers event, I've never had them fail even on Chaos. Just keep wiping out commanders and named guys until the generals come out. You have to babysit them along their path and keep taking out commanders to keep them moving. After you turn the first guy a whole wave of named guys come at you. Also, if you leave Lu Bu alone too long in the center path he'll get wrecked by the ballistae.

To follow up on this, you can totally ignore the whole defecting generals if you just want to finish the stage. Not only do they get hung up on generic commanders, they also get torn apart like tissue paper if you aren't watching them. That in itself would be so bad, but as mentioned if you babysit them and not Lu Bu he gets murdered by ballistae which will fail the map.

Speedball posted:

What's the difference between Temper and Weapon Fusion?

Temper takes all of a weapons attributes and mashes them into the target weapon. If the target weapon has the same attribute (say it has Cyclone 1 and you mash in another Cyclone) they'll stack. If there are empty slots then they'll get filled with the attributes you don't have. If there are more attributes than free spaces I believe it is random which ones you end up. All of this takes Weapon Materials to do.

Weapon Fusion allows you to take attributes from one weapon and replace them with attributes from another weapon. So you can take a weapon with Agility and replace it with Jubiliation from another weapon. You can also add +1 to attack or change the affinity. All of this takes Gems to do.

For both options, the weapon you take attributes from gets destroyed, so keep that in mind.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, sounds like the Weapon fusion system of Warriors Orochi only made more needlessly complex.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Sakurazuka posted:

Gonna make my bodyguards in Ambition mode Dong Tuna, He Man and Dong Wang as soon as possible.

I don't think there is a Dong Wang, but there is a Dong Heng. It's funnier when said out loud.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Huh, sounds like the Weapon fusion system of Warriors Orochi only made more needlessly complex.
Japanese games often have this marketing things about "systems", which drive stuff to become more and more (unnecessarily) complex over time.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 18, 2014

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Maleketh posted:

I don't think there is a Dong Wang, but there is a Dong Heng. It's funnier when said out loud.

I don't know, I think chinese Don Henley is funny on it's own.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Sima Wang is still the funniest DW name. :colbert:

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Wait when you reforge weapons it just gives you random weapons? I put in three axes just to try it out and got a trident and a whip.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ChaosReaper posted:

Wait when you reforge weapons it just gives you random weapons? I put in three axes just to try it out and got a trident and a whip.
I think so.

Samurai Warriors 4, on the other hand, gives you the option to reforge any weapon as any other weapon, for free. SW4 may be the best Musou game right now.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think so.

Samurai Warriors 4, on the other hand, gives you the option to reforge any weapon as any other weapon, for free. SW4 may be the best Musou game right now.

SO WHEN THE gently caress IS IT GETTING LOCALIZED?!? :argh:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

SirPhoebos posted:

SO WHEN THE gently caress IS IT GETTING LOCALIZED?!? :argh:

Hopefully when it does it also comes out on PC, because I would buy the gently caress out of that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is there a stage for Wei after Battle of Zitong or is it just an empty space?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Tae posted:

Is there a stage for Wei after Battle of Zitong or is it just an empty space?

There is a stage there and it is fantastic. I couldn't tell you the specific conditions to unlock it, though.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Twelve by Pies posted:

Sima Wang is still the funniest DW name. :colbert:
Wang Lang. He immediately regretted traveling the world.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Maleketh posted:

There is a stage there and it is fantastic. I couldn't tell you the specific conditions to unlock it, though.

That's what I'm curious about, because I did all the star objectives and unlocked all the other stages.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

drat, don't mess with Guan Yu's daughter, I guess, she can rip boulders straight out of the ground.

Best enemy officer defeat line so far: "That was like a splash of cold water in my face!"

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

ChaosReaper posted:

Yeah, you have to level up the blacksmith more to get the good weapon making abilities.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Luckily building up your town speeds up considerably once you get the merchant, since you can exchange a single weapon material for two facility materials.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I'm glad you start off with several animals in Ambition(It's under DLC. A variant of Red Hare, two pandas, and a fox that heals and/or gives Musou when critical. I have no idea whether they're one-time-only).

But I wonder when these were given out in the original releases, if at all?

Got this yesterday, it finished installing earlier today. Thanks to advice here, it ran well till overheating made it reboot. We'll see if having the fans on Turbo helps. Also up-to-date BIOS(Which forced a refresh of 8.1, don't ask me why-which means reinstalling it AGAIN) and fan control software. So many things needed when dealing with a new build, ugh.)

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 18, 2014

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:
Has anyone run into the Ambition mode objective "Obtain the Medicine" on the fame-related maps? It popped up after I killed the enemy leader, the objective marker was on a big solid piece of terrain. I killed everything on the map except for the mobile unit commanders spawning in. Had to exit back to camp, weren't no drat medicine nowhere.

edit: ^^^ the animals aren't one-time only. Used puchi red hare a bunch.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is Ambition mode like way harder than DW usually is? Am I supposed to be using characters I've levelled up during the Story or playing on easy first or something?

I guess it's not hard exactly, just everything takes ages to kill.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'd suggest not really doing Ambition mode until you have a level 25-30 character at the least, unless you want to start on beginner/easy. The way it's designed means you're fighting hard tier enemies after just a few battles so things just take forever.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Yeah, going into Ambition mode after Story mode is definitely the way to go. At least run through the story of the nation your favorite/starting character is in, If you want to start Ambition mode right away you'll probably have to do all the battles on easy or beginner until that character gets built up. Story mode is basically the "main" mode, so KT seem to expect you to get through that before tackling Ambition.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah, thanks, I started out with Wang Yuanji at level 1 since I leave Jin for last.

Also lol what's up with Pang Tong's hat in 8? :v:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Luckily building up your town speeds up considerably once you get the merchant, since you can exchange a single weapon material for two facility materials.

The first thing I did was exchange pretty much every weapon material I had, since I don't loving need them until I get the good upgrade abilities and I had like 60 sitting around.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

When I eventually get to ambition mode, do you value attacks that rain on crowds like Zhou You or specialize in single-target like Meng Huo?

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shima Honnou posted:

The first thing I did was exchange pretty much every weapon material I had, since I don't loving need them until I get the good upgrade abilities and I had like 60 sitting around.

Is there even a legitimate reason to hold onto weapon materials in XL? Weapon fusion (which uses gems) seems far superior to temper and I've never used reforge.

Also, Yu Jin and Chen Gong are the best new characters by a long shot, particularly the former. Zhu Ran's EX weapon move set is atrocious.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tae posted:

When I eventually get to ambition mode, do you value attacks that rain on crowds like Zhou You or specialize in single-target like Meng Huo?

Why not a combination of both with a pair of suped up gloves. :black101:

Gloves are almost always my second slot if someone can even remotely use them well, all the power moves going straight through armor and whacking everyone nearby most of the time as well is just too good.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
What exactly are the Ally Bonus goals in Ambition mode? Aside from impossible more often than not.

Does a completed goal just give you a random bonus officer at the end of the stage or what?

And screw the "kill officer who you juggled for 5+ seconds" goal.The game's not precise enough for that. Also the "have 1000KOs before killing an officer" is ridiculous, it's only even remotely possible in Duels.

Oh yeah, is there a write-up on all the bond mechanics somewhere? Gaining, results, events etc.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

HenryEx posted:

What exactly are the Ally Bonus goals in Ambition mode? Aside from impossible more often than not.

And screw the "kill officer who you juggled for 5+ seconds" goal.The game's not precise enough for that.

They up bonds with your bodyguards I believe and also give you a reward at the end of the map. Not really that important.

Juggling for 5+ seconds is doable with a single storm rush, though.

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

And screw the "kill officer who you juggled for 5+ seconds" goal.The game's not precise enough for that. Also the "have 1000KOs before killing an officer" is ridiculous, it's only even remotely possible in Duels.

Oh yeah, is there a write-up on all the bond mechanics somewhere? Gaining, results, events etc.

As far as juggling goes, it's really character specific. Yu Jin and Zhang Liao, for example, can effectively keep enemy officers in the air indefinitely with strong attack combos. For the 1000 KOs, if you're running out of time, try stacking the "Gather Supplies" bodyguard skill - if you just need more goons to smash, try "Summon Enemy".

I've never come across a bond guide, unfortunately. There isn't much to it, though: you gain bonds with an officer when you use them in battle as a bodyguard or assist them as an allied officer. I believe nine battles with any given bodyguard are required to max out bonds and once maxed a new passive support skill is unlocked. The associated events are just stupid poo poo like Guan Yu pledging to be your oath brother or Diaochan saying she's prepared a special dance for you - each event happens at a third of bond completion with an accompanying gem reward.

Time Serpent fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 18, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Aside from potentially funny names or possibly liking their looks, is there any reason to use generics over playables when it comes to guards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They're cheaper, so you can use them before you hit leader level 99.