Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shima Honnou posted:

Aside from potentially funny names or possibly liking their looks, is there any reason to use generics over playables when it comes to guards?

No, none of the generics upgrade as well as the playables. The only reason to use them is to get the bond event gems as far as I can tell.

Kind of wish there were pairing bonuses to power bodyguards up - Yan Liang/Wen Chou, the oath brothers, the Sima clan, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ExMortis posted:

Has anyone run into the Ambition mode objective "Obtain the Medicine" on the fame-related maps? It popped up after I killed the enemy leader, the objective marker was on a big solid piece of terrain. I killed everything on the map except for the mobile unit commanders spawning in. Had to exit back to camp, weren't no drat medicine nowhere.

edit: ^^^ the animals aren't one-time only. Used puchi red hare a bunch.

The medicine appears as a Recover All item and comes from said spawning mobile unit commanders.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
Wei Yan sounds just like Animal from the Muppets.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So as someone who has super fond memories of Dynasty Warriors from playing 4 and 5 back in the day, how is the PC port of DW8XL that's on Steam? I was thinking of giving it a whirl for the nostalgia :unsmith:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

So as someone who has super fond memories of Dynasty Warriors from playing 4 and 5 back in the day, how is the PC port of DW8XL that's on Steam? I was thinking of giving it a whirl for the nostalgia :unsmith:

It runs well/looks good, crashes for some people, doesn't have online play. I have no problems with it, YMMV.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hakkesshu posted:

It runs well/looks good, crashes for some people, doesn't have online play. I have no problems with it, YMMV.

The lack of online play totally sucks and is lame but as long as the crashes aren't major or frequent that all sounds good to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The crashes are 'trying to load a second stage in one session,' but it only happens to a few people. You can generally fix it by fiddling with game or computer settings.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
As usual, AMD computers have more trouble than not.

lets be best friends okay
Jun 1, 2000

okay

Chevalier Cat posted:

Is there even a legitimate reason to hold onto weapon materials in XL? Weapon fusion (which uses gems) seems far superior to temper and I've never used reforge.

Also, Yu Jin and Chen Gong are the best new characters by a long shot, particularly the former. Zhu Ran's EX weapon move set is atrocious.

Not really, Weapon Fusion is the best way to improve weapons by far, and it only requires gems, not weapon materials. Just don't mess up like I did and level your merchant to 50 before you're done with the other facilities, because then you lose the 2:1 weapon for facility materials trade.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Here's a random tidbit:
Gather Supplies (the time extension skill) adds one second for every three KOs. So 180 KOs get you another minute. 1,000 KOs get you a little over 5 and a half minutes.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

HenryEx posted:

Here's a random tidbit:
Gather Supplies (the time extension skill) adds one second for every three KOs. So 180 KOs get you another minute. 1,000 KOs get you a little over 5 and a half minutes.

Sweet. Kill lots of fools and get more time for future missions.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

Sweet. Kill lots of fools and get more time for future missions.

It profits alot from leveling the skill up and being able to use it multile times. It doesn't count the KOs since you last used the skill, just your KO counter in the lower right. The longer you wait to use it, the better it gets.
Maximum time limit seems to be 15 minutes, though.

Also, i did some experimenting with bonds.
Bodyguard duty for one fight fills the bar by a tenth. Whatever you do during the mission means jack. Ordering bodyguards around, doing musous with them, whatever, nothing matters or increases bond, just the presence alone.
Also, whoever said that using the skills would get bodyguards skill exp is a filthy liar.

Talking to people in the village (as in, the 'supervisors') also does squat. No effect. Not sure if the vilalge banter has any effect on anything but it sure as hell doesn't strengthen bonds.
Having people (on your side?) in battles with you does increase bonds ever so slightly, by about one 100th of the bar. Not the most efficient way to do things, though.
Oh yeah, one of the 'scripted' dialogues with a bodyguard fills the bond bar by about one 20th. I don't know how or what triggers them though.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 18, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Actually once I talked to Dong Zhuo as the farming supervisor and he forked over a ton of materials. So supervisors do do something, sometimes.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Other people have mentioned this but to reiterate the biggest bottleneck in the first part of Ambitions mode is facility materials. As soon as you unlock one, always send your barracks troops (use the maximum amount of money each time) to get Weapon Materials as you can trade them at the merchant for two facility materials. The game only gives a poo poo about a couple building types so be aware when you upgrade. You can also get materials from the stables.

The second part of Ambitions mode kicks out almost the entirety of your forces and you need to recapture them. Typically, each province will have one playable character as the leader each battle, so once the leader shifts over to a generic officer you'll know it's depleted of playables, and once it shifts over to Unit Commander you'll know it's completely empty. Characters you lose in battle can be gotten again by talking to the dude who sends you on the original ambitions mode missions. There's not really any trick to beating this mode quickly, just try to take control of every base before you beat the leader and you'll take each map in 3-4 tries

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So what exactly is the benefit of assigning supervisors to my facilities? I've gotten materials from the farm supervisor once, and I know that assigning someone to the training facility gets them experience, but I've never seen any benefits from anybody else.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What's this about a second part? When does it happen?

Should i just throw my 600 generic officers into the skillcinerator before that happens when they'll be gone afterwards anyways?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chevalier Cat posted:

Is there even a legitimate reason to hold onto weapon materials in XL? Weapon fusion (which uses gems) seems far superior to temper and I've never used reforge.

Also, Yu Jin and Chen Gong are the best new characters by a long shot, particularly the former. Zhu Ran's EX weapon move set is atrocious.

Fusion is good for removing the RNG about getting properties onto the weapon you want. Instead of constantly reloading a blacksmith and hoping to get the weapon you want with only the properties you want, now you can grab one that's good enough and use Fusion to replace properties you don't want.

That being said, Temper can also be used to help increase attributes that can stack (like Jubilation) so you can spend more gems doing +1 damage upgrades once you've run out of the need for facility materials.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Chevalier Cat posted:

You've never used reforge is your problem. Once you do, you will simply just not have enough weapon materials. Hang on to what you have.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Should i just throw my 600 generic officers into the skillcinerator before that happens when they'll be gone afterwards anyways?

The second part happens immediately after you complete the first, so once you've gotten the Allies, Fame, and Facility Ranks up and completed the Tongquetai (check under Camp Management). As far as the officers go thats up to you but keep in mind that you need a certain quota to complete the Tongquetai, and you'll lose most of the officers you've skilled up too, though, and need to recapture them. The skills are more useful in part 2, so you can just wait till then if you want.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

The skills are more useful in part 2, so you can just wait till then if you want.

You wanna explain this? Do you get more slots, do the skills change, do you get upgrades, what?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Bloodly posted:

You wanna explain this? Do you get more slots, do the skills change, do you get upgrades, what?

Well, in the second half it's harder to raise your forces morale, and controlling bases is more important if you want to take territory in as few battles as possible, so I found that the bodyguard skills at a higher level helped out more in winning without getting my own army wrecked. Caveat I generally did not go very far down the battle chain in the first half so it may all balance out.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I guess I'm just one of the unlucky ones that this game is unplayable for.

Bought it earlier today and it'll get to the main menus but whenever I try to start a game it gets stuck on an endless black screen. Can't play any of the story mode or tutorials, and no ambition mode either, all go straight to a black screen. I've tried every fix I can find on the internet, and running in compatibility mode gave me one fully loaded game which then proceeded to black screen and hasn't worked since.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Vitamins posted:

I guess I'm just one of the unlucky ones that this game is unplayable for.

Bought it earlier today and it'll get to the main menus but whenever I try to start a game it gets stuck on an endless black screen. Can't play any of the story mode or tutorials, and no ambition mode either, all go straight to a black screen. I've tried every fix I can find on the internet, and running in compatibility mode gave me one fully loaded game which then proceeded to black screen and hasn't worked since.

Have you tried changing the affinity to 1 core? Set the game to high priority? While the game is running, open up Task Manager and go to the details tab, find Launch.exe, and right click. The priority and affinity options should be in there.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I'll quote myself here to make your life, hopefully, easier:

gschmidl posted:

You can make [the fix] permanent by creating a shortcut:

pre:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C START /HIGH /AFFINITY 0x1 /D 
"D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Dynasty Warriors 8" launch.exe
(replace path with your own, obviously)

(put the command all in one line)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
The weird thing is that doesn't seem consistent. I have an 8 core AMD CPU and DW8 has run better for me than a lot of other games do.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

What the hell, Lu Bu, your daughter is clearly awesome, stop treating her like a liability.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shima Honnou posted:

The weird thing is that doesn't seem consistent. I have an 8 core AMD CPU and DW8 has run better for me than a lot of other games do.

It is REALLY inconsistent. I just got to Consecutive Battle #76 in Ambition mode and then, when i clicked next battle...

Black screen, crash. :tizzy:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

HenryEx posted:

It is REALLY inconsistent. I just got to Consecutive Battle #76 in Ambition mode and then, when i clicked next battle...

Black screen, crash. :tizzy:

Save after EVERY fight, even with the fix I save obsessively just because I'm so paranoid about losing my progress.

gschmidl posted:

I'll quote myself here to make your life, hopefully, easier:

(put the command all in one line)

This works, by the way. I just have to do it manually 90% of the time because I launch games through Steam out of habit. :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is there a limit to the number of saves you can make in any difficulty?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FUUUUUUUUCK

That was not worth it. Who thought that would be a good idea. Even on beginner that took hours and hours.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

HenryEx posted:

Skill levels get rest when part 2 begins, so you can't cheat the game that way.

HenryEx posted:

FUUUUUUUUCK

That was not worth it. Who thought that would be a good idea. Even on beginner that took hours and hours.

I just finished this (for the second time!) a few days ago, so I feel your pain. At least it's worth it for Red Hare. Not fun, but worth it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is the real Red Hare that much better, or can I just rely on the DLC hare if I don't care about collectibles?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tae posted:

Is the real Red Hare that much better, or can I just rely on the DLC hare if I don't care about collectibles?

is this free dlc? Im not seeing anything on the ps4 copy

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Fauxtool posted:

It's on the PC version at least in ambition mode.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It's kinda weird, but you claim them from the Blacksmith even though they're animals.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

It must be PC-only, because my PS4 copy doesn't have it either.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

http://steamcommunity.com/app/278080/discussions/0/558755530439709143/ posted:

This version includes the free DLC from Dynasty Warriors 8 and Xtreme Legends:
BIG Puccho collaboration skins (panda, bear, Red Hare)
Toukiden: The Age of Demons collaboration support animal Tenko
V-Jump 20th Anniversary Guan Xing costume
V-Jump Special Zhang Bao costume
Wallpapers (Wei/Wu/Shu/Jin/Others)
BGM Sets 1 to 10
Additional BGM from Dynasty Warriors 3 to 7

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 19, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Woo, all NPC officers gotten! Though if what I hear about Phase Two of ambition mode is true, that won't last long. When you start that, do your playable officers also take a hike?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Speedball posted:

Woo, all NPC officers gotten! Though if what I hear about Phase Two of ambition mode is true, that won't last long. When you start that, do your playable officers also take a hike?

You pick one character to play (and can change to anyone you unlock, as normal), and keep, is memory serves, 35 officers: 34 generics and 1 unique. (This number makes sense with the mechanics used in part 2.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Maleketh posted:

You pick one character to play (and can change to anyone you unlock, as normal), and keep, is memory serves, 35 officers: 34 generics and 1 unique. (This number makes sense with the mechanics used in part 2.)

I just started part 2, and I kept 4 playable officers (all from my character's normal faction) and 43 generic officers. It seems random which playable ones you keep as well; it does not appear to prioritize people you have bonds with.