Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm about to use dried beans instead of tinned for the first time, I assume once I soak them overnight there isn't much else I need to do? I'm guessing they'll take a bit longer to cook, so I'll throw them in earlier. I'm using a mix of pinto and black beans is this ok?

I'm also a little unsure about quantity. When I used tinned beans, I used two 400g tins of beans with around 2kg of meat. How many cups of dried beans do you think I need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Wrong thread, the beans thread is here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592735

This is the chili thread.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

d3rt posted:

Wrong thread, the beans thread is here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592735

This is the chili thread.

The beans were going in my chilli, silly.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm about to use dried beans instead of tinned for the first time, I assume once I soak them overnight there isn't much else I need to do? I'm guessing they'll take a bit longer to cook, so I'll throw them in earlier. I'm using a mix of pinto and black beans is this ok?

I'm also a little unsure about quantity. When I used tinned beans, I used two 400g tins of beans with around 2kg of meat. How many cups of dried beans do you think I need?

When I put beans in my chili like a terrible person, I cook them almost to doneness before adding to the chili. I'd do 2 cups dried beans

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Schmeichy posted:

When I put beans in my chili like a terrible person, I cook them almost to doneness before adding to the chili. I'd do 2 cups dried beans

thanks. I ended up experimenting on my own, I put in one cup of pinto and 1 cup of black beans and it was perfect. I cooked them in the pot though, I added them 2 hours before the chilli was ready and it was pretty great.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
For those who've used red wine to make chili, how different is it to using beer? I imagine its not as sweet for one but curious about any other changes

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jose posted:

For those who've used red wine to make chili, how different is it to using beer? I imagine its not as sweet for one but curious about any other changes

The amount of "stuff" in beer that isn't water is so low that I'm not sure adding a single beer to a 5 pound batch of chili is noticeably affecting the flavor.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The amount of "stuff" in beer that isn't water is so low that I'm not sure adding a single beer to a 5 pound batch of chili is noticeably affecting the flavor.

Depends on the beer

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Having made chili without and with beer, I'm pretty sure that you're wrong.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have never noticed any flavoring in finished chili from beer other then maybe some sweetness if it was a super malty beer.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

bunnielab posted:

I have never noticed any flavoring in finished chili from beer other then maybe some sweetness if it was a super malty beer.

You must be using bland beer.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Wait is it Schlitz in the chili and Old Brown Dog in my glass or the other way around? Or a suitcase of Schlitz for everything and not be steady enough to give a rat's rear end?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

You must be using bland beer.

What flavors exactly are you picking up then?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

bunnielab posted:

I use a smoked beer that tastes like bacon. I get a subtle Smokey bacony flavour all through my chilli.

Use something well over 5%, dark and strong tasting.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The alcohol content won't matter because it will just evaporated during cooking. I can see how using a beer with that much flavor would translate into the chili. Something less unique might get lost in the other flavors.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

I use a smoked beer that tastes like bacon. I get a subtle Smokey bacony flavour all through my chilli.

Use something well over 5%, dark and strong tasting.

Well yea, a rauchbier is going to give some noticeable flavor, but I still contend that even a super matly stout or porter will not have any real effect on the final flavor other then some sweetness.

On the topic of smoke flavoring, I am all excited to make some pork green chili out of a smoked pork butt. The Wegmans near my house sells fresh roasted green chilies when they are in season and now that I have a chest freezer I am going to buy a bushel of them. Has anyone tried to make chili with smoked pork before? I wonder if I should cook it all the way in the smoker or just for a few hours to get a crust, then finish it in the pot. I have read about people making chili out of overcooked brisket as a way of salvaging it but never really with pork.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

bunnielab posted:

Well yea, a rauchbier is going to give some noticeable flavor, but I still contend that even a super matly stout or porter will not have any real effect on the final flavor other then some sweetness.

On the topic of smoke flavoring, I am all excited to make some pork green chili out of a smoked pork butt. The Wegmans near my house sells fresh roasted green chilies when they are in season and now that I have a chest freezer I am going to buy a bushel of them. Has anyone tried to make chili with smoked pork before? I wonder if I should cook it all the way in the smoker or just for a few hours to get a crust, then finish it in the pot. I have read about people making chili out of overcooked brisket as a way of salvaging it but never really with pork.

Pork chili is a thing that is good. I have been known to take my left over pulled pork and toss it right into the crock as my protein base for chili. Pulled pork lends itself very well to this application imo. I recommend smoking to completion but after the crust forms it really doesn't matter too much.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Crazyeyes posted:

Pork chili is a thing that is good. I have been known to take my left over pulled pork and toss it right into the crock as my protein base for chili. Pulled pork lends itself very well to this application imo. I recommend smoking to completion but after the crust forms it really doesn't matter too much.

This recipe makes my mouth loving water but I've never gotten around to actually making it. Maybe that's what I'll do this weekend.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

bunnielab posted:

Made the mistake of using a bit of Lagunitas IPA once in a batch of chili (which I love love love outside of chili). :barf:

Guinness or brown ales work the best. Red wines like grenache also work great as well if you want to make something a bit different.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Midniter posted:

This recipe makes my mouth loving water but I've never gotten around to actually making it. Maybe that's what I'll do this weekend.

I've made it and it really is amazing. Thanks for reminding me to make it again :-D

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I was going to add some unsweetened chocolate to my chili, but forgot to pick some up while I was shopping, would it work to just throw some coco powder in?

meastwoo
Jan 11, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

I was going to add some unsweetened chocolate to my chili, but forgot to pick some up while I was shopping, would it work to just throw some coco powder in?

try coco pops

Cranberry Jam
Apr 8, 2011

Hollismason posted:

What's something that would be like a low to medium heat but with a kind of smokey flavor.

I use this:
http://www.amazon.com/Incas-Food-Aj...Aji+Panca+Paste

It's a little salty but its good. Not too hot either.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Patrick Spens posted:

Yes. I've found cocoa powder works just as well as unsweetened chocolate. Add very little though. When I'm using it I put something like half a tablespoon in a batch with 5 pounds of meat and 3 pounds of beans.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

Made the mistake of using a bit of Lagunitas IPA once in a batch of chili (which I love love love outside of chili). :barf:

Guinness or brown ales work the best. Red wines like grenache also work great as well if you want to make something a bit different.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland is my go to chili beer. None of the sweetness comes through when mixed with the chili and drank on the side it is drat near perfect.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone used smoked sausage of some sort in chili?

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Do it. Smoked Italian sausage in chili rules.

Nibbler
Feb 13, 2007

America's Game, the way it's meant to be played.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The alcohol content won't matter because it will just evaporated during cooking. I can see how using a beer with that much flavor would translate into the chili. Something less unique might get lost in the other flavors.

Just to add a voice to the mix, every chili I've ever made has been with beer and each one is so different. I love stouts and that's mostly what I use but you can really tell the difference between different bottles. It's the base of the flavor of the entire dish. A stout is great because they already have the chocolate/coffee flavor that people are seeking.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
I did it guys. I finally chilied like a man.

Marinated and braised beef, jalapeno, serrano, and haberno chilies, and appropriate spices ground whole simmered until it was a big brown mess of spicy love:

Only problem is that none of my friends or family likes actually spicy food. Guess I'll have to eat it all myself. Such a shame :devil:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That chili needs to cook for several more hours so that the chunks break down.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Nibbler posted:

Just to add a voice to the mix, every chili I've ever made has been with beer and each one is so different. I love stouts and that's mostly what I use but you can really tell the difference between different bottles. It's the base of the flavor of the entire dish. A stout is great because they already have the chocolate/coffee flavor that people are seeking.

I like a light-ish ale in my chili, though I'll use redneck waterbeer (usually Coors Light) if it's all I've got around or I don't feel like pouring half a bottle of the good stuff into a pot.
Question: I make a round of powder about once a year, and I went a little too hot with this year's batch (which I made last night). That's not a big issue I can always cut it down with paprika or a milder pepper, but I made a huge pot of chili today and used the recipe I made up using last year's powder, which was much milder. My chili is now spicy to the power of :supaburn:, is there something I can use to cut the burn down more effectively than just retroactively upscaling all the other ingredients? I have enough room in the pot to do that right now but it's going to tax my freezer space rather heavily if I do.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Scientastic posted:

That chili needs to cook for several more hours so that the chunks break down.

I can't get chili to break down at all. I use a chuck roast, cut into 1/2" cubes, and it seems no matter how long I cook at a temperature where the liquid is barely bubbling it doesn't seem to break down. Any ideas? It's still delicious mind you I just can't achieve this break down thing that I read about.

edit for more detail: I start with the liquid level above the meat, and as I simmer for hours I add more stock/water to above the meat again. Eventually I give up on it breaking down and just eat it, and it's good. I've also tried half chuck half lamb with the same results.

Hollis Brown fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 21, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Hollis Brown posted:

I can't get chili to break down at all. I use a chuck roast, cut into 1/2" cubes, and it seems no matter how long I cook at a temperature where the liquid is barely bubbling it doesn't seem to break down. Any ideas? It's still delicious mind you I just can't achieve this break down thing that I read about.

edit for more detail: I start with the liquid level above the meat, and as I simmer for hours I add more stock/water to above the meat again. Eventually I give up on it breaking down and just eat it, and it's good. I've also tried half chuck half lamb with the same results.

How long have you kept it simmering? For me, it's taken 12 hours sometimes to get meat to break down in chili. Other times, 4 hours - it really varies.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
it's gotta go for like 6 hours. It also probably needs a little more liquid. I usually just make sure the meat's submerged

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hollis Brown posted:

~8 hours, also stir with some force.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I use bone-in short rib and just chuck the whole pot into the oven for 3 hours at 300F. 90 minutes covered, stir, 90 minutes uncovered. Enameled cast iron is awesome.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I use bone-in short rib and just chuck the whole pot into the oven for 3 hours at 300F. 90 minutes covered, stir, 90 minutes uncovered. Enameled cast iron is awesome.

I cube up chuck eye steaks to make burritos or whatever, I throw in onion/green pepper/tomato/chilis, and in only about 45 minutes it gets pretty dang soupy.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

mindphlux posted:

~8 hours, also stir with some force.

This did it y'all. I gave up at 5-6 hours before. It was pretty good, I liked the texture more.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hollis Brown posted:

This did it y'all. I gave up at 5-6 hours before. It was pretty good, I liked the texture more.

:)

now save that poo poo a few days and make some tacos or something out of it. avacado, radish, lime, onion. boom

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Quick, dumb question since I can never remember which cut is what and beef is on sale this week. Between Boneless Chuck Steaks, Roast Beef Chuck, and Boneless London Broil Beef Round, which would work best for chili. Gonna make a pot this week and try out the GWS chili powder recipe.