Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
Is the whole "pitchers with an inverted w in their motion are more susceptible injuries" thing true or just bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
isn't an inverted 'w' an 'm'?

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

Laderhan posted:

Is the whole "pitchers with an inverted w in their motion are more susceptible injuries" thing true or just bullshit?

It might be, it might not be. Lots of inverted W pitchers get hurt, but also lots of pitchers get hurt. Nobody is really sure what causes tendon injuries in general, or what is responsible for the sudden rash of Tommy John surgeries.

Turns out throwing a ball 90+ miles per hour is not good for your arm :(

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
The main proponent of the Inverted W being bad is a joke in baseball circles these days, so it's pretty much a dead theory

Knockknees posted:

isn't an inverted 'w' an 'm'?

if you write M's like some sort of weirdo it is

Groucho Marxist fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 19, 2014

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
basically if you bet on any pitcher getting hurt you'll probably be right eventually

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Laderhan posted:

It's so hard to say, given how every pitcher differs in health and pitching motion. I tend to believe the theory that "pitching a ton when you're young makes you more likely to gently caress your arm up than any specific mechanics with your pitching".

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Is there a GDT for tonight? I'm using the Awful app and don't know how or can't be assed to make one.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What happened to Morgan Ensberg? Did his performance just drop off a cliff?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Crion posted:

An aside about LD%: it's also worth noting when looking at LD% that not all LD% are created equal. Just take a look at Matt Carpenter (26.5 career LD%, .348 career BABIP, .827 career OPS) and Reuben Tejada (26.0 career LD%, .297 career BABIP, .632 career OPS). This has more than a little bit to do that of the remaining 3/4 of their balls in play, a lot more of Tejada's are on the ground, and hit with much, much less authority. It's also worth noting that while Fangraphs has Tejada as a 26.0 LD% hitter, Baseball-Reference has him at 24%; meanwhile, Baseball-Reference has Carpenter up at 29%. While those differences might reinforce the preconceived narrative of Carpenter vs. Tejada and persuade you to think B-R's numbers are more accurate, the safer takeaway from all this is that LD% is a stat that doesn't tell you much of anything in a vacuum, is extremely opaque in its calculation and varies wildly depending on where on the internet you go to look it up. It's probably safer just not to use it.

Just to tack on to this aside about ignoring LD rates, LD rates don't correlate well year-to-year which suggests it's not a skill. We think of it that way because just about every baseball player is trained from a young age to "hit line drives". This is pretty hard for most baseball fans to wrap their head around and you can get someone to give you an extreme "What the gently caress are you talking about?" look if you say this to their face. Hitting the ball well seems to be a skill but hitting "line drives" doesn't appear to be.

There's a chart here (granted it's fangraphs not BBRef but I'm guessing their numbers would be in the same ballpark):
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/basic-hitting-metric-correlation-1955-2012-2002-2012/

tadashi fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 20, 2014

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
Baseball payrolls mystify me. Whenever anyone brings up years left on a contract this or Rule V that or salary cap the other thing, I just smile, nod, and think "hit ball with stick good, drop ball on ground bad, run fast good, throw hard good, yell at umpire funny but bad". Are there any good resources out there for someone wanting a better understanding of the money game and strategy around the majors?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sexual Lorax posted:

Baseball payrolls mystify me. Whenever anyone brings up years left on a contract this or Rule V that or salary cap the other thing, I just smile, nod, and think "hit ball with stick good, drop ball on ground bad, run fast good, throw hard good, yell at umpire funny but bad". Are there any good resources out there for someone wanting a better understanding of the money game and strategy around the majors?

And baseball is probably the most easy to understand of the major sports. The NFL contains contracts with made-up numbers that don't actually mean anything and are frequently renegotiated to circumvent the cap, and the NBA's cap holds and trade exemptions and bird rights and max contracts are only understood by a weird guy with a Top Gun mustache.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

R.D. Mangles posted:

And baseball is probably the most easy to understand of the major sports. The NFL contains contracts with made-up numbers that don't actually mean anything and are frequently renegotiated to circumvent the cap, and the NBA's cap holds and trade exemptions and bird rights and max contracts are only understood by a weird guy with a Top Gun mustache.

Don't forget about paying a hockey player until he's 60 to lower his AAV hit against the cap.

Which I think is gone now, but that was hilarious.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ayn rand hand job posted:

Don't forget about paying a hockey player until he's 60 to lower his AAV hit against the cap.

Which I think is gone now, but that was hilarious.
reminder that Bobby Bonilla is still on the Mets payroll, and will be for at least another decade.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Everblight posted:

reminder that Bobby Bonilla is still on the Mets payroll, and will be for at least another decade.
Make that two decades. Bobby Bo is making $1.2M a year from 2011-2035.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Everblight posted:

That was a different scenario. The Mets settled with him to take the $6M he was owed, pay him 8% annual interest, and safely invested it with a 10% annual ROI in a fund owned by the best man at the owners wedding.

As opposed to sticking it in the contract outright.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
For those who don't know, the Mets ownership was bffs with a Mr. Bernie Madoff.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

We'll gladly pay you Tuesday for some baseball today.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

And the only reason why they're still owners is because they're good friends of Bud Selig.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sexual Lorax posted:

There's no cap in baseball but teams who spend more than $189 million are subject to a luxury tax based on how many years in a row they've spent over that amount.

Basically, payrolls in MLB break-down into players with guaranteed contracts (players who were signed in free agency or players who have signed a guaranteed multi-year extension who were already on the team) and players who are young and are under team control. If you sign a player to a 5 year deal and then release him in the middle of season 3, you have to pay him the remaining 1+ years.

Players who you promote from your minors for the first time are under your team's control for 6 seasons (mostly). They only have to be paid the league minimum for those 3 seasons (most teams will give good players small raises after each season). After their first 3 years of service time, they are eligible to go to arbitration in the off-season before each of the next 3 seasons to determine how much they will make (the team submits a number and the player submits a number and the arbitrator picks one side).
It kind of looks like this:
code:
Year 1-3: minimum, 4: arbitration 1, 5: arb2, 6: arb3, 7: free agent unless the team and player agree to an extension
A small portion of players are eligible for arbitration after 2 years ("super 2" players) and some players become free agents after only 5 seasons when certain conditions are met. You can release a player under "team control" any time after the season and before a given deadline without having to pay them any money for the next year. Most of the time, teams and players will come to an agreement for a 1 year deal rather than going to arbitration.

If you look at the A's payroll: link you'll see players with "arb1, arb2 or arb3" in later years and those are the years they are projected to hit arbitration. "FA" signifies that the player does not have a contract with the team starting that season. When you see a very small number in the final year of a player's deal, it usually means that is what the team has to pay the player to get out of the optional year.

There are a few exceptions to these rules:
1. International free agents from countries other than Japan can sign contracts with any MLB team. That player is then under the terms of that contract which may contain clauses preventing them from going to arbitration. There are restrictions about international amateur free agents (players under 23).
2. There are a few players in MLB who signed MLB contracts as part of their signing bonuses when they were drafted (the draft currently only applies to US amateurs and Puerto Rican amateurs). This is no longer possible under the 2012 CBA.
3. Certain Japanese players are eligible to be posted by their professional team which kicks off a series of bidding for the rights to negotiate with the player. The maximum bid is $20 million for the posting fee (paid to the player's team) and the teams who bid the highest can negotiate with the player like they're a free agent. (This is how Tanaka was signed before this season. Lots of teams bid the maximum and then he accepted the Yankee's offer making him a Yankee under the terms of the negotiated contract and they had to pay his former team $20 million).

Just google Rule V draft and you'll find plenty of articles on the subject. All you really need to know is that if a team takes a player in the Rule V draft, he has to stay on that team's major league roster for the full season or returned to the previous team.

Other keywords you might look for would be "MLB arbitration", "MLB international amateur free agency", "MLB super 2", "NPB posting fee"
:effort:

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 20, 2014

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

tadashi posted:

3. Certain Japanese players are eligible to be posted by their professional team which kicks off a series of bidding for the rights to negotiate with the player. The maximum bid is $20 million for the posting fee (paid to the player's team) and the teams who bid the highest can negotiate with the player like they're a free agent. (This is how Tanaka was signed before this season. Lots of teams bid the maximum and then he accepted the Yankee's offer making him a Yankee under the terms of the negotiated contract and they had to pay his former team $20 million).

For those teams who posted the $20 million bid but did NOT sign Tanaka, are they still on the hook for the $20M to Tanaka's team? Or is it just the Yankees that have to cough it up?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Midniter posted:

For those teams who posted the $20 million bid but did NOT sign Tanaka, are they still on the hook for the $20M to Tanaka's team? Or is it just the Yankees that have to cough it up?

Only the team that signs him. Signs being the key word, because if you win the bidding but can't sign the player then he goes back to his Japanese team and you don't have to pay them.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Quick question for tadashi: have you ever referred to Miller Park as "Wrigley North"?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sexual Lorax posted:

Quick question for tadashi: have you ever referred to Miller Park as "Wrigley North"?

That was appropriate when Houston was given a home series there because of the hurricane and then Zambrano no-hit them, which was coincidentally the last time it was even vaguely fun to be a Cubs fan.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sexual Lorax posted:

I have not personally. I would be totally OK if the two teams switched stadiums, though. Wrigley's a dump and it's not going to change for years.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

That was appropriate when Houston was given a home series there because of the hurricane and then Zambrano no-hit them, which was coincidentally the last time it was even vaguely fun to be a Cubs fan.

Why do you have to bring this back up :mad:

And that was back before the Astros were super-mega-ultra-terrible and just "not good" (that was their last winning season, in 2008)

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

tadashi posted:

I have not personally. I would be totally OK if the two teams switched stadiums, though. Wrigley's a dump and it's not going to change for years.

Then you're officially the coolest Cubbies fan I've ever met on the strength of that effortpost alone. For being full of such unpleasant unrepentant unredeemable fuckstains in the big forums, SA's smaller forums consistently impress me with their knowledge and willingness to share it.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that, prior to your explanation, MLB payroll was a completely black box to me. Money went into one side of it, and dingers and Tommy John surgeries came out of the other side.

As a fellow NL Central fan, allow me to say this in closing: gently caress the Cardinals. gently caress them right in their stupid faces forever.

Edit: vvvv :lol::lol::lol: That's great.

Edit edit: And it led me to his wonderful quote "First of all, you don't smoke peyote," so it's doubly great.

Sexual Lorax fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 20, 2014

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Sexual Lorax posted:

As a fellow NL Central fan, allow me to say this in closing: gently caress the Cardinals. gently caress them right in their stupid faces forever.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Can somebody either explain how team injury insurance on contracts work or point me to a reliable explanation of it?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Phil here displays all the spelling proficiency of a typical St Louis native.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Mornacale posted:

Phil here displays all the spelling proficiency of a typical St Louis native.

He's drunk on smug like all of us BFIBs

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I like baseball, I especially like pitchers. So.. I guess a lot of the good pitchers are injured right now? Who are the really great guys I should make a habit of watching? I know Hernandez and Iwakuma are pretty fabulous, who are some of the great pitchers in the MLB right now?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Kershaw, Grienke, Tanaka, Darvish, Sale, Price, Verlander, Wainwright, Cueto, Hamels, Strasburg, Gonzalez

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget winless yet MLB leading 1.62 ERA Jeff Samardjiza.

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
dallas keuchel

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Can somebody either explain how team injury insurance on contracts work or point me to a reliable explanation of it?

It's just like how movie studios will insure a star actor's health while making a movie. Or even like car insurance, for a simpler example. Rates, terms, and conditions will vary, depending on whatever the team negotiates with the insurance company for whichever player contract they want insured.

Does that answer your question?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Jered Weaver if you like watching guys unable to catch up to mid 80s fastballs. Also 3-0 changeups.

Also because trying to throw a ball stepping 3 feet across your body is impossible what the hell.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Closer seems an interesting position, they're just there to play a single inning? Why? How valuable to a team is a good closer?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
If a hitter argues a called first or second strike aggressively enough for him to get ejected, what happens? Is it an out? Does a pinch hitter take over the at bat? Does the ph get a fresh set of balls and strikes or inherit them fro. The ejected hitter?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
The pinch hitter would take over the plate appearance at whatever count the batter left with. All records go to those that finish the PA. Same with a reliever coming in if a pitcher was hurt/ejected.

Relievers nowadays only go 1 or 2 innings. Most of the time closers are saves for the 9th inning with a lead and are very rarely used in non-save situations. Even rare is the 4 out save. Relievers are usually max effort and lose their edge pretty quickly. You can thank modern times with pitchcounts and specialized lefty/righty usage to guys like tony la rusa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

Closer seems an interesting position, they're just there to play a single inning? Why? How valuable to a team is a good closer?

More or less, the closer is there to throw the ninth, though it can vary. Sometimes they'll come in for 4 or 5 outs in a particularly close game and if a reliever has been hot, the coach may leave him in and let him finish things off.

Mo Rivera was worth something like 56.6 wins across 19 seasons, or about 2-3 wins per season, and is widely considered the greatest closer of all time. (WAR isn't a great stat for comparing relievers, but that should give you an idea in value terms.)

As to the why, the formal "closer" role really evolved with Dennis Eckersley in Oakland (you can blame Tony La Russa). Before that, your best reliever was usually called something like a "fireman" and usually came on whenever your lead was in trouble or things got tight but might pitch 2-3 innings. TLR basically formalized it into the "closer pitches the ninth" role since the As were in the lead a lot.

There's a lot of mysticism around the closer role. Is it worthwhile to have your best reliever throwing in high-leverage situations? Most definitely, and a lot of those occur in the ninth. However, a lot of old school coaches now stick to the closer thing like glue. Like it's the 8th and the bases are loaded and you have a one run lead, but you call in a lesser reliever rather than your closer because "closers pitch in the ninth."

There's an idea of "closer mentality" where in addition to being a good pitcher, they have the mental toughness to deal with the stress of closing the ninth, which may be true or may be more baseball voodoo bullshit. Rowdy Kyle Farnsworth was a godawful reliever for the 2008 Yankees but picked up 25 saves as Tampa's closer in 2011. Did he suddenly develop previously unforeseen closer powers? Who knows? Baseball is weird and pitchers are even weirder. LaTroy Hawkins is legendary for being okay in any inning BUT the ninth but even he has a couple saves this year.

To that end, savvy GMs have learned that they can stick a reliever in the closer spot, get him a bunch of saves, and then flip him to dumb GMs close to the trade deadline because he has CLOSER MENTALITY.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 22, 2014

• Locked thread