Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

Alouicious posted:

Didn't Ole Miss finally integrate in like 1991 or something ridiculous like that

They're awful, but it happened in the 60s...but required the national guard and included multiple fatalities in the ensuing riots.

We actually integrated a year or two later, but I'd like to think that the "Game of Change" and the fact that we now have one of the most diverse campuses in the country make up for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
Being a Tennessee fan, I'm obliged to vote for Bama in everything this tournament.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

Administrators

6. Jeff Ireland

Scrappy underdog who could win it all

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007

Rasczak posted:

Scrappy underdog who could win it all

I don't think a poo poo owner has made it past the second round before. They're doucheyness comes over time, making them much more suited for the lifetime award.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Players
2. Jameis Winston

Administrators
2. Bret 'Bert' Bielma

Media
1. Darren Rovell

Wildcard
6. Tallahassee PD

Calling this for a final four, even though it is college-heavy the Winston stuff was high-profile enough and crab legs takes it over the top. Only one I don't have a feel for is the Wildcard bracket, there's a lot of strong contenders and whoever Charles Chavarria is.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2014/05/first-round-pick-taylor-lewan-charged-assault.html

He probably won't win, but he'll be the scrappy lower seed that makes Incognito work until the last minute

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I hope Bama Fandom goes far, but I realize it's really tough to comprehend the sheer slobbering magnitude of it if you've never lived within its clutches. I don't have a problem with (most) Alabama students or alumni, really, but they're massively outnumbered by the people who haven't attended a single class on that or any campus and yet still say "we" when referring to the football team. I wish I could have been there for the wailing this past year, because the only the average fan was more sure of than a third straight Alabama title was that climate change is a myth championed by the scientific elitists.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Tricky Ed posted:

I hope Bama Fandom goes far, but I realize it's really tough to comprehend the sheer slobbering magnitude of it if you've never lived within its clutches. I don't have a problem with (most) Alabama students or alumni, really, but they're massively outnumbered by the people who haven't attended a single class on that or any campus and yet still say "we" when referring to the football team. I wish I could have been there for the wailing this past year, because the only the average fan was more sure of than a third straight Alabama title was that climate change is a myth championed by the scientific elitists.

I imagine that in the first match-up, even if that roll tide commercial was made this year it would wilt in the face the onslaught that was the Seahawk facebook memes.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Tricky Ed posted:

I used to work with a guy like this. He became a huge 'Bama homer cause his wife went there for a couple of years. Dude has lived his entire life in California.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Has it been determined if "The 12th Man", in this year's tournament, refers to:

a) Seattle Seahawks supporters, who have exploded in douchitude this year due to their on-field success
b) Texas A&M supporters, who are long known as being not only douches, but also insane (just go to the NCAAF thread and look at the past few weeks of content, several people who were in the Corps of Cadets popped by and tried the "no, it's not as crazy as it used to be" line but most of us--including the Ags that post there--remembered that this is aTm we're talking about and posted the requisite images)
c) Both, seeing as that a sizable number of people in this forum (myself included) primarily know/interact with only one of the two groups that identify themselves as "The 12th Man", and ergo arguments could be presented that the entire concept of groups that refer to themselves as such in top-flight American football is fraught with douchebaggery?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
From everyone who I can remember nominating or talking about them (edit: in this thread) I think the Seattle version is the douche who made the tournament. Not that both aren't worthy obviously.

It seems like cheating if both of them are in under one name, like if Kurt Warner the QB made it and Curt Warner the running back from way back when did something terrible to pump up the Warner votes.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's clearly Seahawks fans, and deservedly so--we're all loving terrible.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

We've been terrible for years, but because of that East Coast Bias we don't get the attention we deserve.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I nominated them and it was the Seattle version I intended. Willingly patterning themselves after the Texas A&M contingent is part of the case against them, for sure.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
"We're all loving terrible" could easily apply to either, and I'd argue A&M has the edge there. Although I stand by my opinion that the Seahawks version is the contestant here.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Gerund posted:

We've been terrible for years, but because of that East Coast Bias we don't get the attention we deserve.

I've heard people unironically argue that the mainstream media is still ignoring us...after we won a Super Bowl and guys like Wilson and Sherman became household names. We'll always be terrible.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007

It's the Seattle version. While I'd give A&M an advantage if it was lifetime, Seattle EASILY has the edge for the year.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Can I just say Bret Bielema should probably win this thing? The man has made LANE loving KIFFIN look sane.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kirios posted:

Can I just say Bret Bielema should probably win this thing? The man has made LANE loving KIFFIN look sane.

Lane Kiffin has always seemed sane. You can't fault a guy for making money and falling up in the manner that he did. Hell, we all want to be Lane Kiffin in a way, suck at your job and get promoted to a better one for more money. Bret Bielema makes even the most psychotic of schizophrenics look sane with his claim that the hurry up offense caused the death of a player who died from a congenital abnormality exacerbated by a jog.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

It's the Seattle version. While I'd give A&M an advantage if it was lifetime, Seattle EASILY has the edge for the year.

Consider my question answered.

(Also, as a fellow--albeit new--SEC member, I love, LOVE how you managed to get both Ole Miss on the bracket, partially out of a fellow appreciation for a proper rivalry and partially because they really do deserve it.)

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Look, all I'm saying is if Bielema isn't in the at the very least the Final Four then we have failed as TFF.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Literally ban anyone who votes against Bielema because "I don't watch college football"

You can vote against him for other reasons but seriously gently caress you

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007

Elotana posted:

Literally ban anyone who votes against Bielema because "I don't watch college football"

This is my favorite yearly argument because I started it in the first tourney.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Elotana posted:

seconded

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
Well I do watch college football and have literally never heard of this Bielema rear end in a top hat until this moment. But given the other caliber of douches in this tournament, I have every faith I'm going to be doing a whole lot of not voting for him.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Certain things transcend the level of sport they are committed at. Brett should get Bulimia is one of them

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

GenHavoc posted:

Well I do watch college football and have literally never heard of this Bielema rear end in a top hat until this moment. But given the other caliber of douches in this tournament, I have every faith I'm going to be doing a whole lot of not voting for him.

Seriously? He coached the Badgers forever, was in multiple major bowl games (at least 2 Rose bowls off the top of my head). He recently left for Arkansas and sort of dropped off the face of the earth (aside from the aforementioned douchey statements).

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

Douche4Sale posted:

Seriously? He coached the Badgers forever, was in multiple major bowl games (at least 2 Rose bowls off the top of my head). He recently left for Arkansas and sort of dropped off the face of the earth (aside from the aforementioned douchey statements).

Yes, seriously. I follow the Pac-12 primarily. If he were the coach of Oregon or UCLA I would know who he was. But there's three hundred and fifty colleges in the country and I haven't memorized the head coaches of every one of them, not even the ones who are occasionally in a Rose Bowl. It's hard enough keeping the 32 NFL teams straight, and especially not if he's one of the rotating cavalcade of failure that seems to run through Arkansas for some reason.

There is no question that what he did was douchy, but that's true of everyone else in this damned tournament.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

GenHavoc posted:

Yes, seriously. I follow the Pac-12 primarily. If he were the coach of Oregon or UCLA I would know who he was. But there's three hundred and fifty colleges in the country and I haven't memorized the head coaches of every one of them, not even the ones who are occasionally in a Rose Bowl. It's hard enough keeping the 32 NFL teams straight, and especially not if he's one of the rotating cavalcade of failure that seems to run through Arkansas for some reason.

There is no question that what he did was douchy, but that's true of everyone else in this damned tournament.

Sheesh, no need to freak out. I was just commenting that he wasn't really an obscure coach at an obscure program. He was consistently coaching ranked teams (with multiple "star/hyped" players), playing in major bowl games, and even being nominated for coaching awards and honors that it would be strange for someone who "watches college football" to not have heard of him. I probably just have unrealistic expectations for the extent of what "watches college football" means to the average person.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

Douche4Sale posted:

Sheesh, no need to freak out. I was just commenting that he wasn't really an obscure coach at an obscure program. He was consistently coaching ranked teams (with multiple "star/hyped" players), playing in major bowl games, and even being nominated for coaching awards and honors that it would be strange for someone who "watches college football" to not have heard of him. I probably just have unrealistic expectations for the extent of what "watches college football" means to the average person.

Yeah, I pretty much just mean "watch college football" as in sit down and watch games. I know probably a dozen to eighteen coaches by name, and half of those are probably because of this tournament or the stories that got people into this tournament. I couldn't tell you the name of a single SEC coach besides Saban to be honest.

I'm a bit more up to date on players of course, and coaches within my conference I know something about, but the NCAA is too big of a league for me to keep track of everyone, even if they're reasonably well known.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

GenHavoc posted:

I couldn't tell you the name of a single SEC coach besides Saban to be honest.

Les Miles is the source of like 80% of gifs posted in TFF.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Benne posted:

Les Miles is the source of like 80% of gifs posted in TFF.

Yeah him and Spurrier are always memorable.

And who could forget James "Probably covered up a rape" Franklin, formerly of Vandy and now of Penn State.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I "watch NFL football" and I couldn't name more than five or six coaches off the top of my head. Not everyone who watches a sport obsesses over it.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Your populated bracket!

And a link to the giant version:

http://brandynbold.com/phost/douche-of-the-year-bracket-large.jpg

(My hosting)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"yeah I mean I watch college football and post in an internet forum that you have to play money to register for that is about fooball but it's not like I OBSESS over it like you spergs"

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Militree posted:

Your populated bracket!

And a link to the giant version:

http://brandynbold.com/phost/douche-of-the-year-bracket-large.jpg

(My hosting)

Man, these brackets look amazing. I think you did an even better job this year than the previous one.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.
Two things jump out at me there: how the gently caress did Mel Kiper (who owns) get more votes than Pete 'too dumb to figure out what a twitter parody account' Prisco and Jeff Ireland somehow doesn't deserve to champ his division. What the gently caress to that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

holy poo poo that bracket pic for Bielema

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Jesus, Richie Incognito vs. Taylor Lewan? Come on, both those guys deserve Final Four spots and they won't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Alter Ego posted:

Jesus, Richie Incognito vs. Taylor Lewan? Come on, both those guys deserve Final Four spots and they won't get it.

And the Super Bowl should have been Niners vs. Seahawks, but sometimes a true contender has to lose before the final.

• Locked thread