Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Edwhirl posted:

How do I only fire a single shot with an autopistol in SotS: The Pit? The tutorial said it was control but that doesn't appear to be working.
You don't. The auto pistol will always fire two bullets per attack. Iirc, control is the key you use to designate several targets for burst weapons. Not sure if the pistol can do that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah, Dredmor's inventory management is what led me to quit it before ever winning. Maybe it's just because I don't have as much free time as I used to, but it feels like all the time wasted sorting through crafting ingredients could actually be spent playing the game.
Crafting skill's are also kinda OP in that game. Why yes, I would like to make myself a clockwork chainaxe, then make another clockwork chainaxe and combine them into a clockwork ravager, then make another two chainaxes for another clockwork ravenger so I can dual-wield them. :getin:

Doing that nonsense is the only reason I kept with dredmor as long as I did. Once I did that and had beaten the game, I'd had more than enough with it.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Tin Tim posted:

You don't. The auto pistol will always fire two bullets per attack. Iirc, control is the key you use to designate several targets for burst weapons. Not sure if the pistol can do that too.

Ah.

So what stats are useful? So far I've been playing the ranger (because the tail swipe is pretty cool). I mean, should I focus on might? Brains? Finesse?

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

Might until 80 (For biggest inventory), also get Forage up to 100 so you can get sweet loot.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Edwhirl posted:

So what stats are useful? So far I've been playing the ranger (because the tail swipe is pretty cool). I mean, should I focus on might? Brains? Finesse?
Prioritize might for inventory space, resistances and melee damage. Finesse is for shooting, so it's okay to ignore it for the first ten floors or so. You will eventually need it, but might is your main stat. Brains is debatable, as the Ranger has very little room for psi powers. It does boost related skills, but only by a small amount. Though, it also governs your chance to spot traps and resist some status effects, so I usually end up putting 10 points into it when I feel that my other stats are good for now. Psi Power is also not important for the Ranger, but I usually can spare the five points to get it to 60.

Yeah, the tail swipe is a super great crutch early on, but will not scale well later. I personally go for pistol/blade/forage/psi def on the Ranger, and later branch out depending on what stuff I could loot.

BobMcFartsens posted:

Might until 80 (For biggest inventory), also get Forage up to 100 so you can get sweet loot.
This is not entirely correct :spergin:

Every ten points of might give you six more inventory cells, and you max your natural inventory at 100 might.

Forage is a tricky skill, and I think that 100 is a waste of good points. The thing is that every eight points in Forage will improve your loot rolls by +1. So the natural breakpoints are at 40 and 80. Skill boost from attributes go beyond your natural cap, so it's possible to get to 120. But you'll need a very specific build for that. I've never really noticed a difference between 80 and 100 in my runs, so I stick with 80 for classes that get enough skill points. Suckers like the Marine have to make due with 40 or a little more, but can't afford to pump this skill instead of others. A thought of mine is that a too high forage skill may also work against you a bit. Like, when you open an ammo box, a high forage skill may give you a fancy ammo type that you don't need, while you can't find any goddam pistol or rifle ammo. I'm not too sure about the mechanics, but I think too much Forage can make you shoot past the basic loot that you still would like to have.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 21, 2014

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keeperrl-v1-0

KeeperRL reached its goal on Indiegogo.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ADOM Deluxe should be GreenLighted soon since it's most of the way there. Thomas is more realistic about pricing than I would have guessed though I think he's getting sidetracked a bit by people that hate any kind of DLC.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:siren: Dungeonmans is on Steam :siren:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/288120/?snr=1_702_4_

We have a (somewhat woefully outdated) thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558729

It's early access, so if paying for such bugs you, stay away.

That said, it has wonderful music (really), charming art, very simple controls, and lots of mans to bash monsters in various ways. I'll never get tired of watching loot literally spew out of monsters.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yep, Dungeonmans has been nothing but promising and the dev has been stellar at making strides on the game the entire while. If the world never gets a more over-the-top and secretly Bombastic love letter to the classic Castle of the Winds than Dungeonmans, well, it had a pretty good run spinning about space for awhile there.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Couple of games to keep an eye on. Both are a bit similar to BOI

First is Tiny Wizard

Second is Pixel Boy, which is out tomorrow on steam!

Can't wait to see how either of these are.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

For those interested, ToME just came out with a fairly large update that has more than a couple class revamps. Brawler is apparently the new hotness.

http://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2014/05/news/tales-majeyal-120-aka-exercise-vital-powers-released

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

For those interested, ToME just came out with a fairly large update that has more than a couple class revamps. Brawler is apparently the new hotness.

http://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2014/05/news/tales-majeyal-120-aka-exercise-vital-powers-released

Noooooooooo, years of careful study, lost...

So can Stonewarden skills be taken on the Adventurer class without a mod now, or what?

E:

Removed Aim rooting effect
Sunder Armour now also reduces saves and shatters damage shields

Lookin pretty sweet!

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012
For everyone owning a iOS device:

Dream Quest by Peter Whalen
Roguelike Deck Building Game.

Feels like a mix between Desktop Dungeons and Dominions (the boardgame).

Great game! I enjoy it a lot!

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-dream-quest/

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I've been playing dungeonmans and am enjoying it, and I was wondering if there was any other straight up roguelike games that had a similer kind of progression system? I really like having a consistent thing you are still building up while playing a permadeath roguelike. I know there are rougelikeish games that have that going on (Rogue Legacy for example), but any other just plain roguelikes with that?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I really can't think of anything off the top of my head, at least anything that would be considered a 'major' game in the genre. There's gotta be at least a few smaller titles out there with some sort of persistence.

I get the feeling that among the diehard roguelike dev crew, the idea of making the game easier for 'failing' is anathema, but I could be wrong.

Me personally, I love it. It retains the fun aspects of roguelike gameplay, lets you shortcut the most boring part (weak earlygame), and is a sort of built in difficulty setting - better players will finish with less (or no!) academy development.

I'll love it more once he's got Dungeonmans to a place where the scaling of the player is matched by the scaling of the world, so you can potentially go and explore areas that are progressively more lethal no matter how buff you think you are.

(insert angry oblivion/skyrim scaling argument here)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
ToME4 at least has a bunch of stuff to unlock as you play. The simpler classes start off unlocked but you have to earn the more complex ones. It's not strict progression like in dungeonmans, but it's a feeling of meta-progress as you play and splat. I think it's pretty cool even though I don't love the game.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Desktop Dungeons also has a lot of unlocking/building stuff in it. Though the core gameplay is a bit more puzzle orientated than a pure RL. It also get's really tricky in the later stages. One day I'll beat the loving challenge dungeons..One day... :qq:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Tin Tim posted:

Desktop Dungeons also has a lot of unlocking/building stuff in it. Though the core gameplay is a bit more puzzle orientated than a pure RL. It also get's really tricky in the later stages. One day I'll beat the loving challenge dungeons :qq:

Yeah Desktop Dungeons is huge on that but it makes me feel like an idiot. I could write a computer program that could do pretty well at it I think, but playing myself is Hard.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I beat the main campaign of Desktop Dungeons, but I'm still not convinced that some of the postgame content (Vicious Steel :qq:) isn't functionally impossible to clear.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ProfessorProf posted:

I beat the main campaign of Desktop Dungeons, but I'm still not convinced that some of the postgame content (Vicious Steel :qq:) isn't functionally impossible to clear.

Oh, it's doable. Even the ludicrous three-tier dungeons in the Goatperson DLC can be finished. Apparently those are considered to be the peak of "fair" difficulty by the designers, I asked if the taunt at the end about harder quests would ever come about and they said it wasn't really meant to be requested.

Oops.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

LibbyM posted:

I've been playing dungeonmans and am enjoying it, and I was wondering if there was any other straight up roguelike games that had a similer kind of progression system? I really like having a consistent thing you are still building up while playing a permadeath roguelike. I know there are rougelikeish games that have that going on (Rogue Legacy for example), but any other just plain roguelikes with that?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'straight up roguelike' but you should play Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer on DS if you haven't already. Besides being an amazing turn-based roguelike with fantastic sprites and sound, it also allows you to carry items and completed quests over through playthroughs.

It's awesome and you should definitely play it. Unfortunately only that one DS release has an official translation, but you can play Shiren 3 the Wii or PSP in English I believe (Wii version I think is official, the PSP version is a fan patch).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The fan translation of Shiren for SNES is pretty good. Some item names are a little cryptic but it's perfectly playable.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Ryoji posted:

For everyone owning a iOS device:

Dream Quest by Peter Whalen
Roguelike Deck Building Game.

Feels like a mix between Desktop Dungeons and Dominions (the boardgame).

Great game! I enjoy it a lot!

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-dream-quest/

Also enjoy. The art and UI are terribad, but the game so far is addictive.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

victrix posted:

I get the feeling that among the diehard roguelike dev crew, the idea of making the game easier for 'failing' is anathema, but I could be wrong.

I'm not really big on it personally. I'm okay with ToME and ADOM style content unlocks I guess. Roguelikes already become easier as the player gains knowledge so I don't really think it also needs a game mechanic that does such.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Looks like ADOM is going to get some pretty substantial interface updates (Looks like mouse-controlled context sensitive menus are a thing now). ADOM Deluxe was put on Steam Greenlight and hearing feedback from people that haven't been playing for 15 years seems to have done some good.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

If nothing else, there's mods and even some simple file editing you can do to unlock all the classes in ToME.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

If nothing else, there's mods and even some simple file editing you can do to unlock all the classes in ToME.

I wish there was a mod that disabled the stupid random encounters in adventurer/zigurath/orc parties.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Edwhirl posted:

I wish there was a mod that disabled the stupid random encounters in adventurer/zigurath/orc parties.

You're looking at this all wrong. They're not a nuisance, they're the best source of out-of-depth quality loot in the game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Those are usually pretty easy to avoid, anyways. I think the orc parties might be temporarily removed since the Breeding Pits were nixed? Either that or it's not possible to get rid of them right now, but yeah.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Those are usually pretty easy to avoid, anyways. I think the orc parties might be temporarily removed since the Breeding Pits were nixed? Either that or it's not possible to get rid of them right now, but yeah.

According to a mod that restores the BP, yeah, you currently can't remove them.

Also, I now know you can remove them! I was playing through that game real slow before the new patch wiped all saves. Two tribes down, damnit.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Edwhirl posted:

You mean this? It doesn't actually disable them, but it gives you a "do you want to fight this party y/n" dialog every time you encounter them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You mean this? It doesn't actually disable them, but it gives you a "do you want to fight this party y/n" dialog every time you encounter them.

Highly recommend the ZOmnibus pack that that's a part of, it's just a bunch of small quality of life improvements.

The Zigot/Adventurer parties aren't a big deal because they generally don't chase after you, but the Orc parties are an enormous pain in the rear end because they psychically know where you are and will hunt you down wherever you go. And the loot isn't nearly as good for their depth as the wandering encounters in the West are.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

Highly recommend the ZOmnibus pack that that's a part of, it's just a bunch of small quality of life improvements.

The Zigot/Adventurer parties aren't a big deal because they generally don't chase after you, but the Orc parties are an enormous pain in the rear end because they psychically know where you are and will hunt you down wherever you go. And the loot isn't nearly as good for their depth as the wandering encounters in the West are.

Nor is the exp that great, and even when you can literally walk through them and watch them die around you without fear, there are just sooooo many.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ADOM just got a bunch of movement control goodness, including autoexplore and a 'walk to nearest stairs' command. Thomas has officially gone beyond my expectations in modernizing the game at this point. The steam version is going to have shared player ghosts, global leaderboards, and all that so it will be nice competition for ToME on Steam as far as 'real' roguelikes go.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

How well does the autoexplore do things efficiently since ADOM has a hunger system?

Or do things like open doors diagonally because of the trap which hits directly in front of the door?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Zereth posted:

How well does the autoexplore do things efficiently since ADOM has a hunger system?

Or do things like open doors diagonally because of the trap which hits directly in front of the door?

It's not out yet but it sounds like it'll stop if the only available path is through a closed door.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Got to floor 15 on Rogue 5.4.5 (whatever is in the standard Fedora repo, I believe it's the latest) before getting wrecked by a black unicorn. Been playing since I was a kid and I just don't see how it's possible to win. I didn't even see a single weapon drop the whole game. Anyways who has won and in what version? Are you supposed to make a sprint for the amulet once you reach a certain floor? I can't imagine sticking around for gryphons or dragons. I used to play the IBM version growing up and that one has a few different monsters (no ice monsters for that permafreeze) plus only one kind of identify scroll.

Any opinions on which version is the easiest to win? Besides the mentioned monster differences I know the PC version also has vorpal weapon scrolls. Do rings in all of the versions increase hunger rate? They seem pretty similar overall but I am not an expert.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Last played Incursion about a year ago, is the current build worth playing?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

AceRimmer posted:

Last played Incursion about a year ago, is the current build worth playing?

I haven't played the game myself, but I do know that Julian Mensch open-sourced it (opened the source?) on March 15th.

There's a fork with lots of bugfixes here, but as far as I know there aren't any gameplay changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

It's mostly bug fixes, and from what I heard, after that the plan is to start implementing all the unfinished stuff in incursion (which there's a lot of).