Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Flytrap posted:

Drakengard and NieR take place on entirely different planes of reality. Drakengard is its own world, NieR is our world.
Didn't the ending of D3 contradict that? It's all time travel, now, right? I mean, the ending wasn't in English when I watched it, so I was going by some guys in Twitch chat and also some people in this thread earlier I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Didn't the ending of D3 contradict that? It's all time travel, now, right? I mean, the ending wasn't in English when I watched it, so I was going by some guys in Twitch chat and also some people in this thread earlier I think.

Not exactly. Big ending spoilers!

D3 Route A leads into the first Drakengard, which results in Nier, which results in both their and our world getting totally hosed. The Accord units are trying to find a way to screw with events in D3 so that all that other stuff will never happen. They finally pull it off in Ending D.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oxxidation posted:

D3 Route A leads into the first Drakengard, which results in Nier, which results in both their and our world getting totally hosed. The Accord units are trying to find a way to screw with events in D3 so that all that other stuff will never happen. They finally pull it off in Ending D.

which leads to robots taking over the planet instead of shades. So humanity is still doomed, it's just doomed in a slightly different way. DRAKENGARD!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Disc read error like 75% through installation. Drakengard :argh:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

And so the player hate begins...

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Butt Ghost posted:

And so the player hate begins...

Drakengard!

I warned you fuckers!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alright yeah, I can confirm that Three is voiced by Mela Lee and Octa is Todd Haberkorn. I honestly am pretty surprised they casted Haberkorn as Octa given how he looks, but it works pretty well with Haberkorn being able to pull off a pretty aged voice while still sounding young given that Octa is 22. These boss fights have not been spectacular so far either, it's pretty lovely of the game to open itself up with you fighting all four of the sisters at one time then it just tosses really boring boss giant bosses at you that you fight with Mikhail.

If I have to say anything, I guess I like how the singing of the Intoners leads into their boss themes and some of the humor is actually pretty good, especially Mikhail. Like, the game has surprisingly not been beating me over the head with its bad game design, it really feels kind of toothless right now. That being said, from what a friend's been telling me it gets stupid around Ending C, so we'll see then.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Oxxidation posted:

Oh, that's what that after the rhythm game was? Saw it in Japanese, so the fifty or so of us in Twitch chat were baffled and/or could not stop laughing. That... actually makes a shitload of sense. Kind of. I mean, assuming it's explained what they are, etc.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Does "No Chests" next to a verse mean there's no chests in that verse? Trying to get all the chests and the verses I've completed are marked with either "Completed" or "No chests."

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Mercurochrome posted:

Does "No Chests" next to a verse mean there's no chests in that verse? Trying to get all the chests and the verses I've completed are marked with either "Completed" or "No chests."

Yes

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

okay, thanks!

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

I have been waiting all day for the Australian psn store to update just so I can download this game. God drat sony needs to get this sort of stuff worked out at some point.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

The soundtrack is absolutely Gorgeous.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Yeah, I think the soundtrack is basically the only thing that I liked about the game.

I don't know. I feel like the developers were in a time bubble from when Drakngard 1 came out and didn't learn anything that happened since.

It's like Howard Stern or South Park, but for video games.

precision posted:

I'm pretty sure any sane person will tell me that between this and Lightning Returns, the better "game" is LR, but I really loved how hosed up Nier and the first Drakengard were. I don't want to overdose on Japan so, I guess, is this game really so awesomely insane to justify dodgy grindy gameplay?

No, not really.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 21, 2014

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Anatharon posted:

No, not really.

This guy likes Lightning Returns. He's an untrustworthy oval office.

This in no way suggests my opinion on Drakengard 3. I may agree with him. But gently caress this guy. This fully suggests my opinion on Lightning Returns.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

This guy likes Lightning Returns. He's an untrustworthy oval office.

This in no way suggests my opinion on Drakengard 3. But gently caress this guy.

You played through Drakengard more then once, what gives you the right to call anyone 'untrustworthy' about the quality of their taste.

Also I have never played a final fantasy game.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Anatharon posted:

You played through Drakengard more then once, what gives you the right to call anyone 'untrustworthy' about the quality of their taste.

Also I have never played a final fantasy game.

I thought all three Drakengard games were terrible. I just warned others. :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

And if you've ever played Lightning Returns, you still haven't played a Final Fantasy game! :haw:

I'm thinking I'd rather watch someone else play Drakengard 3 first before diving into it myself. Wallet's spread pretty thin lately. But I do want to see it!

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Speedball posted:

And if you've ever played Lightning Returns, you still haven't played a Final Fantasy game! :haw:

I'm thinking I'd rather watch someone else play Drakengard 3 first before diving into it myself. Wallet's spread pretty thin lately. But I do want to see it!

Give me to loving September-ish and it will happen.:smith:

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 21, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Dark Id posted:

Give me to loving September-ish and it will happen.:smith:

Ughg, sorry! I hope you didn't take my last post as me passive-agressively asking for an LP of it. Sorry, dude...

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Speedball posted:

Ughg, sorry! I hope you didn't take my last post as me passive-agressively asking for an LP of it. Sorry, dude...

Nah. I liked doing LPs but between the universe making GBS threads on me, having two kids, and being upper management in my current job that is not really a feasible thing... But I'm still going to eventually do Drakengard 3 goddammit... That's the last one though! :suicide:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's too late, I impulse-bought it and it should be done downloading in about an hour. I plan on getting as drunk as possible before then to maximize my enjoyment/hatred.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Having played a few hours now and fought the first intoner, I'll definitely say this game is odd. I'm oddly reminded of playing Ninety Nine Nights 2 in some ways, for those of you who ever touched that game. I'll definitely say though that, of all the things I expected to see in this game, EDF-style soldier chatter was not one of them.

Quick localization question for those of you with the Japanese version. After the fight with the first intoner, did the Japanese version cut away to some "inappropriate for everyone" dialogs during both the initial murder and post-corpse bashing of the dead Intoner? I couldn't figure out if this was intentional meta humor or a localization change.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Brackhar posted:

Having played a few hours now and fought the first intoner, I'll definitely say this game is odd. I'm oddly reminded of playing Ninety Nine Nights 2 in some ways, for those of you who ever touched that game. I'll definitely say though that, of all the things I expected to see in this game, EDF-style soldier chatter was not one of them.

Quick localization question for those of you with the Japanese version. After the fight with the first intoner, did the Japanese version cut away to some "inappropriate for everyone" dialogs during both the initial murder and post-corpse bashing of the dead Intoner? I couldn't figure out if this was intentional meta humor or a localization change.

That was there originally. It is better for it.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The Dark Id posted:

That was there originally. It is better for it.

Here's a video of the scene uncensored.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Wait, if it shipped in Japan like in NA, how did that video get out?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Brackhar posted:

Wait, if it shipped in Japan like in NA, how did that video get out?

That's Zero's VA in the corner so it was probably from some preview thing. Why you would pick that scene I dunno.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Trust TheDarkId's words. He is wise and terrible.

I like Drakengard 3, but that's only because I have terrible taste.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Yeah I've seen it. I stand by my statement.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

straight jerkers posted:

That's Zero's VA in the corner so it was probably from some preview thing. Why you would pick that scene I dunno.

It IS a pretty gruesome scene, so maybe they wanted to get her shock on camera. You can practically see her reaction turn from "Oh, Zero just stabbed her sister, that's understandable, haha~" to "...Oh my god, I played a villain."

As for the game itself, I like it. I sure as hell like it better than the first two. The combat's pretty fun, especially when the weapon options start opening up and inter-weapon combos become an option to play around with. The dynamic music system is simple but effective, and the soundtrack is beautiful (but could use more oomph at times). The banter between characters is also pretty great. I'm not a fan of the lock-on system though, since it disengages whenever you kill what you're locked on to, and the difference in perspective between locked on and not is big enough that it can get jarring.

I'm certainly not in a position to recommend it, since my tolerance for wonky game design is seriously high, but I'm definitely enjoying myself.

P.S. gently caress Lightning Returns. If you're not going to make a good story, then at least make some entertaining loving characters. :argh:

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 21, 2014

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Oxxidation posted:

But more importantly, how does Hatoful Boyfriend fit into the timeline?

Edit: Mikhail is the goddamn best (when he's not being a giant racist)

Forgall fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 21, 2014

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Forgall posted:

Mikhail is the goddamn best (when he's not being a giant racist)
:3: Dawww...wait what!? he's racist?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Golden Goat posted:

:3: Dawww...wait what!? he's racist?
Wyverns took our jerbs!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Digital River said that if I wanted any of the preorder bonuses I would have had to preorder the collectors edition and not just the game. Also despite preordering back in October the only bonus I was qualified for were the themes, which they didn't provide a code for.

The only take away from this is never use digital river, it's 2/2 on being screwed over by them.

Game's alright though :shobon:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The cutaway for Five's death is probably the funniest thing in the entire game.

I typically think of the game as bad in a bad way as opposed to bad in a good way, but that WAS a pretty good moment.

The Dark Id posted:

I thought all three Drakengard games were terrible.

Just like your LPs :iceburn:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 21, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
eeeeee Feels so good to be playing a new Drakengard! Not very far in but so far it's a bunch of fun! I like the new combat changes, aerial combos really mix things up.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Just read the Kotaku review here

Steve Bowling posted:

"A Badass Heroine. Zero is a woman on a mission, hell-bent on cutting down any and all obstacles in her path, whether it's a man, a monster, or one of her own sisters. For Fans of Strong Female Leads"

Didn't Taro in the launch interview mention how he didn't want players thinking that a character that mows down people was super cool?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
This is Kotaku. They're dumbasses.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Golden Goat posted:

Just read the Kotaku review here

Didn't Taro in the launch interview mention how he didn't want players thinking that a character that mows down people was super cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I just didn't expect them to be this dumb about it.

I was just about to post that too.

• Locked thread