Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mindphlux posted:

...and started to get out of my car

Last time I did that a couple of years ago the dude pulled a gun on me (well flashed it at me but still pant-shittingly-terrifying). Yep, not going to confront assholes anymore. Obviously the dude needed to be somewhere way before me so I'll just let them be crazy elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
Dashcam = the answer for the crazies in Atlanta. Go ahead and brake check me, pull a gun, etc... It's worth it for ITP food.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

mindphlux posted:

true story atlanta-driving-talk : I was getting ready to turn onto one of the main egress points of the wholefoods ponce shopping strip. saw a cr-v barreling down from like literally 250 yards away, figured I was fine, made my turn.

as soon as I started turning, from 200 yards, this loving jackass lays on his horn. as he barrels down, not slowing at all. I of course notice him and kind of stop in the middle of the road, before determining I still have plenty of time and room, and continue to turn. dude loving speeds up, and then screeches to a halt right next to my car and is just loving cursing his head off looking me directly in the eye - still laying on his horn the whole time.

I just shook my head at him deadpan and started to get out of my car and he sped off. D.C. plates.

jesus christ assholes

your first mistake was going to that strip mall because it has legit the worst parking lot ever

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

I've been really disappointed with the new Sweet Auburn BBQ location in the old Pura Vida spot. Been there a few times, and the meat has been really subpar. Dry brisket, greasy pork. They both come pre-sauced, too, which is a big knock, imo. It's a great location, and the restaurant itself is nice, but I just wish it had better food. I'd much rather head to Fox Bros or Community Q, even when Sweet Auburn is much closer.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

jooky posted:

I've been really disappointed with the new Sweet Auburn BBQ location in the old Pura Vida spot. Been there a few times, and the meat has been really subpar. Dry brisket, greasy pork. They both come pre-sauced, too, which is a big knock, imo. It's a great location, and the restaurant itself is nice, but I just wish it had better food. I'd much rather head to Fox Bros or Community Q, even when Sweet Auburn is much closer.

I kept meaning to try that place when I did my laundry

Thanks for keeping me away from more of this city's traditionally dry brisket.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I need to try more of the places intown for barbeque. I've had fox bros, sweet auburn, daddy d'z, and heirloom market, and honestly just none of them seem that good to me. need to check out DBA and I don't know, there's another I'm blanking on but...

man I wish there were some more outstanding places. very open to recommendations if anyone thinks something stands out.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

mindphlux posted:

I need to try more of the places intown for barbeque. I've had fox bros, sweet auburn, daddy d'z, and heirloom market, and honestly just none of them seem that good to me. need to check out DBA and I don't know, there's another I'm blanking on but...

man I wish there were some more outstanding places. very open to recommendations if anyone thinks something stands out.

Community Q

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

mindphlux posted:

I want to check out the guy with the trailer and the big barrel grill who is always out front the Ace Hardware on Howell Mill every Saturday and sometimes throughout the week. It always smells nice driving by at least. Maybe I'll grab a lunch there if he's out today, and report back.

By the way, does anyone know a good Jamaican restaurant? I've tried the One Love truck, and Jamaican Jerk in Marietta, and they were just ok...my problem is I went to UGA, and grew up there eating Kelly's and have never had Jamaican as good as that, and I've been craving it again.

I mean check this out, spicy cabbage, jerk chicken, not pictured is the cornbread made with half vanilla cake mix...so good:

kontona
May 3, 2003

AgentHaiTo posted:

I want to check out the guy with the trailer and the big barrel grill who is always out front the Ace Hardware on Howell Mill every Saturday and sometimes throughout the week. It always smells nice driving by at least. Maybe I'll grab a lunch there if he's out today, and report back.

i thought it was good. not like "change your life" good, but something about the whole setup appeals to me.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Varuni Napoli follow up report:

I went to Varuni Napoli tonight at roughty 8:45pm and it was rather full. I think this is only the third weekend they've been open, so it seems like they're doing well. There were a few single seats available, which worked for me, but there may not have been anywhere for three or more people to sit together. Despite this, the place was not a clusterfuck like Antico.

Pizza crust was slightly different than my last visit with a little more char and the outer crust was slightly less thick than last time. I suspect the nature of the preparation makes these variances basically unavoidable. That's not to say it was better or worse tonight, just that it will vary like the crust at Antico.

Anyway, I had a good meal and recommend anyone who likes Antico check it out to see if it hits the spot for them.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

jooky posted:

Community Q

That's true, I went to bhojanic tonight and was reminded this place existed. I went about a year back - was pretty solid. nothing lifechanging, but better than any of the others I listed off for sure. gotta go again soon.

the dude on howell mill sounds interesting too. I live nearby so I should check it out.

also I just remembered there's a supermercado on buford highway, this place : https://www.google.com/maps/@33.836694,-84.336509,3a,49y,265.17h,84.24t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sSImKJquAFuUKteulrzj1sg!2e0

anyone noticed it? the last 4-5 times I've passed it, they have a giant barrel smoker/grill out front bellowing out delicious smelling smoke. I need to just stop in and see what's going on, it smells amazing.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.
I heard some poo poo on NPR today about Atlanta having the best BBQ in the southeast.

Um, okay? Your garden variety Rudy's is better than Community Q or Fat Matt's, so that's a laugh.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
dear aspiring atlanta japanese restaurant:

do not list an interesting rose, chawanmushi, monkfish liver pate, zaru udon, and sake kama on your menu if you do not actually regularly stock these things.

(eventually) someone like >>DIS DUDE<< will come in and order them all, one after another. you'll then be faced with quite the regrettable situation, as you have to - at great length and with much "checking with the chef" - eventually announce you have none of them.

(it was a meal of convenience, and I knew that getting into it - but do not go to Starfish.)

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I went and checked out their site and they kind of have a ridiculous menu.

Even if they did have the ingredients in stock to prepare those dishes I'd be very surprised if they didn't turn out to be disappointing.

I'd be pretty concerned if I went to a restaurant here and they had all of those things on their menu but also churned out deep fried spicy tuna rolls.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Ned posted:

I went and checked out their site and they kind of have a ridiculous menu.

Even if they did have the ingredients in stock to prepare those dishes I'd be very surprised if they didn't turn out to be disappointing.

I'd be pretty concerned if I went to a restaurant here and they had all of those things on their menu but also churned out deep fried spicy tuna rolls.

I hate it when restaurants put a ton of poo poo on the menu, that in no way shape or form, could turn out well on a finished plate. I only eat at places that have limited offerings, but do a drat good job focused on its dishes.

With that said, I'm actually going to Ru San's tonight, which has the longest menu known to mankind. lol

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

AgentHaiTo posted:

By the way, does anyone know a good Jamaican restaurant? I've tried the One Love truck, and Jamaican Jerk in Marietta, and they were just ok...my problem is I went to UGA, and grew up there eating Kelly's and have never had Jamaican as good as that, and I've been craving it again.

The best I have found in the area is Caribbean Fiesta. One in Alpahretta and one in Norcross.
http://caribbeanfiesta.com

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

York_M_Chan posted:

The best I have found in the area is Caribbean Fiesta. One in Alpahretta and one in Norcross.

afro-dish in the sweet auburn curb market is really good. get the goat curry with fried plantains.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Woodfire Grill and Executive Chef Tyler Williams Part Ways

I was planning to go to Woodfire Grill in the near future to say hello to their new bar manager, who is mentioned in the article, but may hold off if their kitchen is in flux.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
interesting. that place does seem to have quite the chef churn...

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

York_M_Chan posted:

Oooh. That's doable for us, apparently. Any idea if they're actually using pimento & sweet wood?

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
I just tried Fox Bros. BBQ the other day for the first time.

God is real, and his name is brisket.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

GFBeach posted:

I just tried Fox Bros. BBQ the other day for the first time.

God is real, and his name is brisket.

Go west, young man, to the land of brisket (Texas).

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

I ate at varuni napoli this week and it was just okay. I live in between there and ammazza and I'd go to the latter, definitely. Even considering the crowd.

I'll give it another try in a month or so.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

AgentHaiTo posted:

By the way, does anyone know a good Jamaican restaurant?

Tassa on Powers Ferry is really drat good, if you don't mind a buffet place, though it's more Trinidad than Jamaica. Calypso Cafe on Walton is also pretty good, if a bit basic; used to go there pretty often for lunch when I worked downtown.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

You guys ever try the Sweet Hut? You can get really good meat buns and taro-flavored stuff there. They make their stuff daily! :3:

Also down the road from it is a really nice dumpling place. When I remember what it is called I will divulge my secrets.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

DicktheCat posted:

You guys ever try the Sweet Hut? You can get really good meat buns and taro-flavored stuff there. They make their stuff daily! :3:

Also down the road from it is a really nice dumpling place. When I remember what it is called I will divulge my secrets.

Chef Liu?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

How are you guys liking Cookout?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Safety Dance posted:

Well, it's food. They have a surprisingly good system for their drive-through line that loops around the building twice.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

mindphlux posted:

afro-dish in the sweet auburn curb market is really good. get the goat curry with fried plantains.

It's really incredible

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

Safety Dance posted:

I just moved to Denver and am sad I cannot enjoy the Cheerwine floats

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

Where is it in town? We usually stop when we have to drive to NC. I didn't know there were any around.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

York_M_Chan posted:

Where is it in town? We usually stop when we have to drive to NC. I didn't know there were any around.

Just opened on Moreland just south of 20, so I hear.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Todd Ginsberg and partners to open Israeli restaurant in Krog St. Market

As has been established, I'm a total fanboy of Ginsberg's stuff, so I'm excited.

At The General Muir on Wednesday nights, they're "previewing" the sandwiches at Fred's Meat and Bread. The last two weeks have been the cheesesteak, and they've been, in my opinion, fantastic. Cheesesteaks are my favorite food, and I've gone so long without a good one after leaving the Philadelphia area 14 years ago, so I'm utterly thrilled. I suspect the intent was to do a different sandwich each Wednesday, but I suspect that the cheesesteak was met with enough success that they did it again the following Wednesday, and then are serving it this week and next on Monday and Tuesday nights at the bar.

Next week at Gunshow, they're having Chris Shepeherd of Houston's Underbelly, who recently won the James Beard Best Chef Southwest award, in the kitchen. I go to Underbelly everytime I visit my mother in Houston, so I'm pretty excited. When Gunshow opened, it most reminded me of Underbelly, in that they do a variety of small dishes from various cuisines, so that's kind of neat.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 21, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yayy

I'm way too excited about my future proximity to krog street market. (and I guess sweet auburn for that matter)

I eat a lot at a panera near my place now during the workweek, because it's one of the only things within a short walking distance that has decent food. my lunches are going to get sooo much tastier. ^_^

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Where the heck is Krog Street Market (yes, it's on Krog St).

Is that the Stoveworks facility?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Safety Dance posted:

Where the heck is Krog Street Market (yes, it's on Krog St).

Is that the Stoveworks facility?

Basically across the street.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

Basically across the street.

Yep.

http://krogstreetmarket.com/_assets/pdfs/ksm-brochure.pdf

Cannot wait to see the sushi offerings:

quote:

Sushi Huku will open a sister spot later this year, and Eat It Atlanta posts some details. Called Craft Izakaya, the restaurant opening in highly anticipated Krog Street Market will "feature a full bar with a crafted cocktail menu." Chef Jey Oh has also "talked about elevating his sushi offerings a bit, with more prepared dishes with developed presentations and interesting combinations." [EIA]

Is it bad I'm a lot more excited about Krog St. Market than Ponce City Market?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Webbeh posted:

Yep.

http://krogstreetmarket.com/_assets/pdfs/ksm-brochure.pdf

Cannot wait to see the sushi offerings:

Is it bad I'm a lot more excited about Krog St. Market than Ponce City Market?

No. What would be bad about that? The lineup at Krog Street Market looks significantly better.

I dig Sushi Huku. That's my go-to spot for a good sushi dinner on the weekend.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

I'm jealous of the Krog st market, as we don't live that close by. But it's not too bad on the weekends for us to swing by. Really looking forward to it!

But, we did do the first night of Brookhaven Food Trucks this evening, which was pretty fun: https://www.facebook.com/BrookhavenFTN The korean style tacos were actually pretty drat good (cheap). Totally going back weekly if weather is nice. It was fun to picnic out in the park with a ton of food trucks to choose from. Very cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I'm going to Empire State South tonite for the first time. Anything I should try out?