Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fezball
Nov 8, 2009
I think Geddoe is by far the most fitting (plot) choice here, Hugo is still too young and rash and Chris is too much of a Zexen figurehead in the minds of people - Geddoe is a neutral outsider, actually knew and fought with the previous Flame Champion and can obviously handle the burden of being a rune bearer.

That said, I actually know Geddoes path from back when I played this. So in order to see something new i'll cast my vote for Chris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

As much as I love Geddoe, this is all Hugo. Giving up the perfect combination of Geddoe and TLR so soon just hurts, and Hugo taking the True Fire just works best from a story standpoint.

yokaiy, will you be showing any of the stuff exclusive to each of the characters' chapters?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Geddoe is just so much more interesting and far, far better-written than the other two.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Voting for Hugo because (in order)...

- I like Geddoe better and want him to keep the better rune.
- It fits best story/theme/character-wise, and yeah, it's canon for what it's worth.
- If you plan to LP in the form of "show how things play out normally and then later show what the differences would have been", Hugo is the best choice as a normal baseline for LP purposes.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Voting for Hugo, like you said it makes the most sense plot wise and for god's sake, why would you ever want to take that True Lightning Rune off of Geddoe?

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

dancingbears posted:

yokaiy, will you be showing any of the stuff exclusive to each of the characters' chapters?

Vil posted:

If you plan to LP in the form of "show how things play out normally and then later show what the differences would have been", Hugo is the best choice as a normal baseline for LP purposes.

Yep, that's the plan. I will be showing off the alternate versions of things, so no worries there.

Or, I'll be attempting to. We're through the better part of the game by now, but there's still a pretty big chunk of game left for playing it three times. I will try my best to show it all off, though. :)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hugo because I figured the game would just put it on him by default and then later when Wyatt inevitably died they'd stick his rune on Chris so no rune-shuffling would have to occur. Hell, that's a thing that can happen? I figured Geddoe would just have both if you voted for him, you know, become the God Hand with the power of fire and lightning in his arms.

...But yeah, Hugo should become the Flame Champion.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

wokow6 posted:

Hugo of course. To me, this is the only choice that makes sense. This honestly feels more like the best fit thematically, plot-wise, and gameplay-wise. Hugo has been slowly building up to this role from the very beginning, and I don't think it would work as well with the others.

This. I vote Hugo.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Chris because she's the only true rune bearer I haven't seen in a runthrough.

I don't think you need to wait until Monday, though, yokaiy. :shobon:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Chris even though I know she won't win the voting.

Geddoe's too old for this poo poo (and removing True Lightning from him is a gameplay travesty), and isn't really the "leader" type.

Hugo is a little kid, and I like that Suikoden 3 gives the option of finally having an army leader who isn't a kid. (Though I guess the Tenkai Star still is regardless).

Chris is already a leader. And True Fire is so dangerous to all involved that you might as well just never cast it.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

Voting for Geddoe because he is the best. And also... minor spoilers for an upcoming battle, I guess.

To give you a hard time in the upcoming battle you can optionally win. I'm not sure if I ever managed it without Geddoe + True Lightning.

I'm expecting Hugo to win, of course, and that's fine too. Letting Geddoe keep the most awesome rune is fitting.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

alcharagia posted:

Hugo because I figured the game would just put it on him by default and then later when Wyatt inevitably died they'd stick his rune on Chris so no rune-shuffling would have to occur. Hell, that's a thing that can happen? I figured Geddoe would just have both if you voted for him, you know, become the God Hand with the power of fire and lightning in his arms.

...But yeah, Hugo should become the Flame Champion.

I think if you had more than one parasite-god in your body, you would just straight-up die. Even if you were Geddoe. But yeah, a person can't wield more than one True Rune. There's probably a lore-explanation that I can't remember right now, but that is established in the series and does come up.

Poque posted:

I don't think you need to wait until Monday, though, yokaiy. :shobon:

Apparently not. :haw: I'm kinda surprised.

The deadline is actually because I am going to Toronto for the weekend for a thing, so I won't be back until Monday anyway.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
I'm going for canon. Hugo.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Geddoe has been poo poo upon enough in his long life, he doesn't need one more burden. He's better off letting the kids take this one. He can be a surly old mentor figure and melt faces with True Lightning.

Chris is still being dragged along by circumstance. She understands that being thrust into a position of command and responsibility really sucks. Given the choice she's not going to accept this burden.

Of these three, Hugo is the one I see who could possibly want this. He's wanted to play the hero of the Grasslands, and even exposed to war and loss he still wants it. He would step forward for this one.

And I like how Iroh fits the mold of all the other Suikoden leads, save the guy from S IV. Pseudo-Chinese clothing and a peasant weapon, making him look kinda like the Monkey King.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Vil posted:

Voting for Hugo because (in order)...

- I like Geddoe better and want him to keep the better rune.
- It fits best story/theme/character-wise, and yeah, it's canon for what it's worth.
- If you plan to LP in the form of "show how things play out normally and then later show what the differences would have been", Hugo is the best choice as a normal baseline for LP purposes.

Gotta go with this.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I guess, according to Graham Cray, lopping off your arm is an ancient Cyndar technique.

In any case, the only choice that makes both narrative and mechanical sense is Hugo.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Fister Roboto posted:

I guess, according to Graham Cray, lopping off your arm is an ancient Cyndar technique.

Even mentioning Graham Cray makes me irrationally angry

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Fister Roboto posted:

Poque posted:

Even mentioning Graham Cray makes me irrationally angry

Say what you will about Graham Cray and Suikoden IV, but I appreciate the man for being one of the very few (probably ever) to have the guts to tell a True Rune "no."

Of course, he loses points for then wanting it back later.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Voting for Geddoe.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I might've picked Geddoe if he weren't already tricked out, plus Chris seems like she'd want to move on to do something else with her life beyond protecting the Grasslands for a theoretically unlimited life span. Hugo it is.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
My vote's for Hugo. Not just because he's the canon bearer, but both because Geddoe's so much better with Lightning, and for a spoilery, though not so spoilery, reason. Hugo has a terrible water magic stat from what I remember. Chris's isn't much better, but she's better with that one rather than fire

Tinkertonk
Sep 11, 2013
Hugo. Any other choice makes too little sense to me. Excitement.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Chris.

Bullshit in-universe reasoning: Hugo is the teen-aged son of a Grassland clan chief who still hates the ironheads for burning his village, not the right choice to lead a Zexen-Grassland defense force for a number of reasons. Geddoe doesn't want to lead an army, already has a true rune and I can't see him wanting to dump the lightning rune on poor Hugo either. Chris is a proven military leader, is downright beloved in Zexen and has friends in at least some of the grassland clans. Her journey from burning down Karaya in Chapter 1, then traveling through the Grasslands, learning more about the people who live there and then finally stepping forward as their champion and defender makes for a nice arc, too.

Actual reasoning: Yeah, I haven't seen Chris's path either.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
The real true successor of the True Fire Rune should be Koroku. After all, he has the highest natural fire affinity out himself, Thomas, and the three main characters.

However, Konami thought that would make the game too awesome so that part of the game had to be cut out.

That said, I choose Hugo. If a dog can't have it, at least give it to the party with Sgt. Joe.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Hugo both because he is narratively most suited and because the notion of Geddoe separated from the TLR causes me physical pain.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Speaking of elemental affinities, can anyone guess who, among the currently recruited characters, has the highest wind magic affinity? The answer may surprise you!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Twaikin.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Fubar?

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I'm joining the bandwagon and voting for Hugo, both because he makes the most narrative sense and because this game didn't make Thomas a choice.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

How is Hugo's lightning magic? Will the TLR see use on him or just rot?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Speaking of elemental affinities, can anyone guess who, among the currently recruited characters, has the highest wind magic affinity? The answer may surprise you!

I feel like it's either Queen or Hugo

Bruceski posted:

Hugo is atrocious at any magic that isn't Wind or Fire. He is passable at Fire.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hugo is atrocious at any magic that isn't Wind or Fire. He is passable at Fire.

Then I vote to give Hugo the TFR.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Bruceski posted:

Hugo has a B in Lightning, but his magic stat is fairly low if I remember right meaning he won't get many casts.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Bruceski posted:

It would probably still get some use, solely because it is the TLR and it is awesome even with a lovely caster. Also because it's general casting time is short enough that, provided we throw a wizard hat on Hugo beforehand, he should be able to get the lower casts off with no real problems. I don't remember what he caps his Lightning magic at, though.

Pre-emptive edit: Well, I guess you sorted that out quicker than I could type a response.

Actual edit: B rank! Thanks, man.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Won't answer since I looked it up, but I'll note that while nobody with an S rank in Wind has joined, there is someone with an A+, which is the slow growth/high cap rank.

Oh, and while I never did get around to seeing Geddoe's scenes, I'll vote for Hugo anyways.

Besides, it should totally go to Juan; A+ in Fire and it could take the place of that awful Waking rune.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Voting for Chris just because I'd like to see her route.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Unoriginal One posted:

Won't answer since I looked it up, but I'll note that while nobody with an S rank in Wind has joined, there is someone with an A+, which is the slow growth/high cap rank.

Oh, and while I never did get around to seeing Geddoe's scenes, I'll vote for Hugo anyways.

Besides, it should totally go to Juan; A+ in Fire and it could take the place of that awful Waking rune.

Juan already has the True Narcolepsy Rune.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Hugo.

We can't take away Geddoe's :science:!

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I assumed (since before the Geddoe reveal) Iroh would be alive, Hugo would get True Wind or get True Fire passed on to him, and Chris would inherit True Water.

Either way, it makes sense to me thematically that Hugo should get it. Why would Geddoe want to force a true rune off of his hand just to replace it with his buddy's true rune? It's a nice tribute and all if there were no other proper bearers, but finding someone else to take the responsibly sounds right in his :effort: wheelhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Something to comfort Geddoe lovers, like this chap:

Defiance Industries posted:

Geddoe is just so much more interesting and far, far better-written than the other two.

I prefer Geddoe as a character myself and still go with Hugo's route. Trust me. Making Hugo the Champion doesn't mean we're not going to be seeing plenty of Geddoe.

PFlats posted:

I assumed (since before the Geddoe reveal) Iroh would be alive, Hugo would get True Wind or get True Fire passed on to him, and Chris would inherit True Water.

Either way, it makes sense to me thematically that Hugo should get it. Why would Geddoe want to force a true rune off of his hand just to replace it with his buddy's true rune? It's a nice tribute and all if there were no other proper bearers, but finding someone else to take the responsibly sounds right in his :effort: wheelhouse.

Something to keep in mind about Geddoe...he's not half as :effort: as he appears. He's just patient. If he really was done with things, he would have done what the Flame Champion did. But as we'll soon see...Geddoe has uh, opinions about what Iroh did.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 21, 2014

• Locked thread