Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:

Endorph posted:

I've started messing with ambition mode after going through the stories - when exactly do you get access to bodyguards? I've gone through a few sets of 3 or so maps but I still haven't gotten a tutorial about that.

I think you can set bodyguards as soon as you get any allies. You set them in the same menu you change weapons I think (officer info?). At first you can only have stupid generic guys, you level up your leadership by having them do their unique ability from bodyguard commands in the pause menu--Gather Supplies, Forage, Call Enemies, Poison Attack, that stuff. Just do all your abilities every battle and you'll be at 99 pretty fast. Leadership is per-character though, which is stupid.

edit: And don't blow a bunch of officers to Strengthen Bodyguards early because you'll still need to get 700 total allies to advance the Touvlaki or whatever and then you'll be sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

poo poo, somehow I never noticed the bodyguards tab in the officer menu. Thanks.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i wish more characters had EX moves with the gloves. it is the second best weapon in the game behind huang gai's canoe

I loving love the gloves, and I resent KOEI for not allowing Ding Feng to keep his EXs when using gloves.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Endorph posted:

poo poo, somehow I never noticed the bodyguards tab in the officer menu. Thanks.

A little extra advice if you're just cracking into ambition mode- level up some 'Gather Supplies' officers so you can set it off more than once on a map. It adds time to your clock relative to the number of KO's you have. Burn your way through a map, then just before fighting the objective officer for the win, punch out as many 'Gather Supplies' as you can so that you can go into the next map with as refreshed a clock as you can manage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thanks for the tip.

Also the best thing is when you finish a map with Zhang Chunhua's 1st musou. The dramatic slowmotion kicks in with everyone still in the air, so all the guys you knocked in the air just slowly float down to the ground while you just wander around in normal speed waiting for all the notifications to go off.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Nurge posted:

I'm not doubting the values you pulled but there is the possibility that it only checks the skill once, at the start of the stage, and sets a straight up crit multiplier or whatever it's supposed to do somewhere else when doing so. Is that possible?

Sakurazuka posted:

'Luck' is more likely a hidden stat that it applies a direct modifier to. I assume that if you use the skills that give a bonus to defence or attack it never actually checks those during the game, either?

No, whenever you do any action or are in any situation where a skill might apply, the game checks each of your 4 equipped skills on whether they apply, and reads the current skill level when they do. Every time. Likely because you can change skills on the fly during battle and they can also increase at any time.

Here, i checked it with the attack/defense boosts and went to a random stage to clobber one officer:

Havoc is checked every time your weapon fires a "hit", whether you hit or not. Attack Boost is checked for every hit you land on each enemy. Defense Boost for every hit on you. Mighty Roar for every hit on an officer.

Fortune Hunter: never.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
Sorry if this has been asked before, but how often after a DW game comes out do they start talking about releasing an Empires version? There's something amusing to me about completely bastardizing history with a created officer, and if I could do that with DW8's gameplay, that'd be really sweet.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I'm kinda wondering whether they'll...bother. Ambition, especially with this 'second part', is practically an Empires Mode already. Maybe a DLC rather than a full release, sort of thing?

'Feats' as currency. That's usually a 'Romance of Three Kingdoms' currency, not a 'Dynasty Warriors' currency. The day approaches when they'll merge the two outright.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 21, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Have they even been making the ROTK games recently? I know they haven't brought any of them over since the mid PS2 era, but have they stopped in Japan too?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 12 came out 2 years ago and even got a PC port that is partially translated into English.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

They just put out a new Nobunaga's Ambition.

e: on PS4 even

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I wish more of the games in that Nobunaga's Ambition & ROTK genre were translated into English and ported to PC, but KOEI is dead set on keeping them overseas.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I can't find the story offhand, but someone asked one of those Japanese Tecmo Koei reps at some anime convention panel years ago why they don't localize the ROTK/NA games anymore and they were like "could you guarantee 30,000 people would buy it?" and laughed at the guy.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Policenaut posted:

I can't find the story offhand, but someone asked one of those Japanese Tecmo Koei reps at some anime convention panel years ago why they don't localize the ROTK/NA games anymore and they were like "could you guarantee 30,000 people would buy it?" and laughed at the guy.
Yes: put it on Steam.

Edit: Hopefully the DW8 sales numbers encourage them to reconsider things like that.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Policenaut posted:

As Armor-Piercing pointed out maybe the era of digital distribution will lead to more Japanese game companies being neglectful of overseas distribution. Maybe. We can hope.

But Japanese game companies are notoriously scornful of overseas markets for reasons.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They HATE developing for the PC, because it's almost worse than the Ouya in terms of market presence in Japan, and the world is Japan as far as most of them are concerned.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Special Weapons are a rip-off. I heard somewhere that you can get a rare weapon through that, and i'm gonna file this under 'false rumours', too.

The game actually generates a list of 8 weapons when you load the Special Weapons list, it doesn't generate them on the fly when you buy them. So i can take a look at what the weapons are before buying them via CheatEngine.
I just spent like 10 minutes just refreshing the Special Weapons list to see if there were rare (star) weapons mixed in. That's over 2000 generated weapons i checked.
Not a single one.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Rotk11 had an english release and actually holds up pretty well still.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Armor-Piercing posted:

Yes: put it on Steam.

Edit: Hopefully the DW8 sales numbers encourage them to reconsider things like that.

Sadly Japan is completely oblivious to how PC Gaming works <anywhere that isn't Japan> as evidenced by them being utterly perplexed every time they put something on Steam and it sells.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Tae posted:

They HATE developing for the PC, because it's almost worse than the Ouya in terms of market presence in Japan, and the world is Japan as far as most of them are concerned.

This is very important. Japanese people don't really play PC games, so Japanese developers don't really try very hard on the ports. Dark Souls 2 and FFXIV are two exceptions and those were made entirely because both of those games have huge English player bases. Japan focuses far more on the Playstation consoles and the Vita/3DS.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Tae posted:

Good thing non-handheld japanese sales are rapidly declining so eventually they'll either go broke or start making games with a focus on the western market.

Which is worse in japan, PC or anything made by microsoft?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mortimer posted:

Good thing non-handheld japanese sales are rapidly declining so eventually they'll either go broke or start making games with a focus on the western market.

Which is worse in japan, PC or anything made by microsoft?

I'm pretty sure heavy xenophobia beats out anything by a long mile.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

HenryEx posted:

Special Weapons are a rip-off. I heard somewhere that you can get a rare weapon through that, and i'm gonna file this under 'false rumours', too.

The game actually generates a list of 8 weapons when you load the Special Weapons list, it doesn't generate them on the fly when you buy them. So i can take a look at what the weapons are before buying them via CheatEngine.
I just spent like 10 minutes just refreshing the Special Weapons list to see if there were rare (star) weapons mixed in. That's over 2000 generated weapons i checked.
Not a single one.

Not sure what you're referring to here, but weapons with stars are rare drops. The 5 and 6 star ones have specific criteria to get.

Seems like you should worry about specifics less and just enjoy killing dudes. You're putting more effort into this than Omega Force at this point.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The only thing I really want out of weapons in this game is a way to filter by element. I'm getting tired of sifting through hundreds of weapons just to find three more points of Velocity. :saddowns:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Dewgy posted:

The only thing I really want out of weapons in this game is a way to filter by element. I'm getting tired of sifting through hundreds of weapons just to find three more points of Velocity. :saddowns:

You can, in fact, do this. You have to go into the "list all" section, then there should be a "sort by" option, which has a few pages of options on how to sort, some of which are elements.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Captain Oblivious posted:

Sadly Japan is completely oblivious to how PC Gaming works <anywhere that isn't Japan> as evidenced by them being utterly perplexed every time they put something on Steam and it sells.
They have a Ferengi train of thought when it comes to marketing their adult visual novels. You see game prices that are on par with Australian game prices because their die-hard base will pay any amount to get their next fix.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Captain Oblivious posted:

My main hope is that From's recent push towards cracking open the PC market with Dark Souls 1 and 2, combined with whatever numbers DW8XL will have pulled in, might lead to further releases on Steam as we go along.

Samurai Warriors 4, I don't want to buy you on Playstation... :pray:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Does Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends not contain the main story mode? It looks like it's an expansion, but it also requires a disc of the original game to play Story Mode and Conquest Mode.

I'm used to expansions like Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, which contain the original game in addition to all the new content and improvements, so for someone new to the series, I should just go with the regular version of Dynasty Warriors 7?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
XL does not come with the base game. Get 7.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bloodly posted:

My issue is almost the opposite. Of course you keep your EX weapon, the problem is not using one specific secondary on everyone ever-Lu Bu's halberd is obvious, but things like Sun Jian's weapon or the harp. Compatibility isn't a concern, so you can go so crazy.

Of course, most of this is because we have everything open from the start, that wasn't the case in normal 8. We'd have to unlock people to use their weapon and use them in Ambition, for instance.

I generally try to keep my characters with their Ex weapon and a second 4 star weapon that "feels" right, for lack of a better word. For instance, I've got Ma Chao with his spear and as a backup is using Wei Yan's double volgues. I tried his other 4 star options, but most just didn't appeal to me (some of the larger weapons just look a bit off to me on the more normal officer bodies).

I know I don't really have to use the 4 star weapons, but I kind of feel like if I didn't I wouldn't be forced to experiment and would end up with everyone using the same secondary.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Does anyone else just use two ex-weapons for their characters? Like, I've got Zhong Hui using one heaven and one earth set of flying swords. Like, if I want to use another weapon, I'll use another character.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

HenryEx posted:

Not a single one.

Buying special weapons was the source of the vast majority of my star weapons for filling out the gallery. Maybe you're doing something wrong or you don't have your blacksmith at a high enough level.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

This seems like as good a place as any to ask this question:

When the Wu officers in the 2010 Three Kingdoms adaptation are talking about "The Southlands" where the poo poo are they talking about if not Jing Province? Yang? Yi? Probably Yang, right, considering that's where they ended up?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

nutranurse posted:

When the Wu officers in the 2010 Three Kingdoms adaptation are talking about "The Southlands" where the poo poo are they talking about if not Jing Province? Yang? Yi? Probably Yang, right, considering that's where they ended up?
Correct, with Yi being "the Riverlands" (aka Sichuan / Shu) and Jing in between both.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Just thought to bring it up, preordering DW Gundam Reborn in the EU gets you the Bearguy and a mission where you fight all the "Reds" of the series. They're probably going to be week one download bonuses in the US.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate PS4 trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXhS4gUZwzk

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Shinjobi posted:

One thing remains constant: Lu Meng was the coolest. His story has always ruled, and it continues to rule to this day.:colbert:

I always hated Lu Meng until 7. His character model was awful and his moveset sucked. Fortunately they made him better in 7 and now I think he's cool.

As far as the 2010 Three Kingdoms series goes and casting I'm just disappointed in Xu Chu/Xu Zhu. I mean it's probably impossible to find an actor who fits the body type but it's so disappointing to see him look like just a regular guy.

Policenaut posted:

Still no word on a North American release I take it? I know that there was the leak about it for Australia.

I'd be getting the PS3 version anyway, not enough money for a PS4 right now. Looks like all I'll miss out on is nicer graphics, more enemies on screen, and three scenarios in Unlimited Mode (though Unlimited Mode doesn't really appeal to me anyway).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

I...don't think I need to buy this game again. It's good but I've already bought it twice and played through it at least three times. Also, after the massive improvement the Japanese characters got in SW4, it would be hard to go back.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Does anyone else just use two ex-weapons for their characters? Like, I've got Zhong Hui using one heaven and one earth set of flying swords. Like, if I want to use another weapon, I'll use another character.

I'm sure this is what most folks do. Some CRAZY people like to mix things up with non-EX weapons, but we don't talk about those perverts here. *crazyeyes*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

5er posted:

I'm sure this is what most folks do. Some CRAZY people like to mix things up with non-EX weapons, but we don't talk about those perverts here. *crazyeyes*

Hey, man, you don't have the right to judge my preverse, deviant lifestyle.