Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Pyroclastic posted:

I just can't justify buying a full box at those rates

Oh, I'm sure you'll manage :homebrew: We all end up spending way more on little plastic parts than we like to think about.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

InfinEight posted:

Oh, I'm sure you'll manage :homebrew: We all end up spending way more on little plastic parts than we like to think about.

Ugh, tell me about it. We all have that 'Why am I buying this? I could probably just as easily download the instructions and build it from the spare bricks I have at home.' moment, right?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

InfinEight posted:

Well, if I get the job reclassification that might happen this summer, I might be able to.
But if I'm dropping $240 on a box of minifigs, how am I supposed to afford my fleet of Benny's S3s?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

Well, if I get the job reclassification that might happen this summer, I might be able to.
But if I'm dropping $240 on a box of minifigs, how am I supposed to afford my fleet of Benny's S3s?

Sperm banks.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DrChud posted:

Found this list of the next series of mini figs.
Loosely translated from Hungarian, the figures included

Battle Goddess
Dino Tracker (Dinosaur Hunter?)
Fairy Tale Princess (I hope it’s Elsa, but I’m sure it isn’t)
Genie Girl
Hun Warrior
Jester
Lifeguard (Male?)
Pig Guy (Guy in Pig Costume?)
Pizza Delivery Man
Prospector
Rock Star
Space Miner
Spooky Girl (Goth Girl?)
Swashbuckler
Video Game Guy (Gamer?)
Wizard

I think it said the msrp is gonna be 3.99. Boo. I was hoping after the licensed stuff it would go back to normal. Don't get me wrong I'm still gonna be all over these, but a bucks a buck.

I'm liking this list! Glad they're coming back strong after the Movie/Simpsons series, sucks about the price though :(

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
They all sound promising, pizza guy is a great idea.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh no, I've stumbled upon the Lego Ideas website and I can't stop flicking through. There's some crazy stuff there.

Including this huge fucker that will never see the light of day but is awesome. I like those little micro-planes too.
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/63951

22,694 bricks apparently, which got me thinking, what was the biggest set? It's the Taj Mahal, at 5922, according to Bricklink. So that Helicarrier would probably cost All The Money. And it would probably need its own room, as it is 217 x 115 cm. Also you would need to hire an enormous bodybuilder to swoosh it about for you.

edit: oh wow, never knew you got 1% of the sales if your project got made.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 21, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That helicarrier is the type of build that can only exist in a computer. It's got tiny pieces stuck all the gently caress over the place, and appears to be mostly hollow. Seems like it would collapse under its own weight.

It is super pretty though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I wouldn't say no to a Helicarrier kit in some form or one of the cool SHIELD jets from Cap 2. The Avengers one is kinda cool but not enough.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think something like this is pretty nifty

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/23275

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Lizard Combatant posted:

They all sound promising, pizza guy is a great idea.

There's only one Lego pizza guy for me. :colbert:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

This poor poor man: http://www.thelocal.se/20140504/swede-puts-lego-up-for-sale-to-save-marriage

:smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only bummer I see in that article is that he doesn't live in my town.

Or country.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Sad thing is it won't likely won't help. Those "It's me or that thing I don't like" ultimatums generally don't work out. The relationship will continue to sour, then he'll be out an enormous Lego collection and the money he sold it for will be long gone.

He's overpriced it, too. 300kg=660lbs. 660lbs at typical bulk rates is only $6600; sorted and with instructions would bump it up, but you just can't sell it in bulk for as much as you'd get selling as complete sets. I can't imagine bulk Lego is worth twice as much in Sweden as it is in the US.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

Sad thing is it won't likely won't help. Those "It's me or that thing I don't like" ultimatums generally don't work out. The relationship will continue to sour, then he'll be out an enormous Lego collection and the money he sold it for will be long gone.

He's overpriced it, too. 300kg=660lbs. 660lbs at typical bulk rates is only $6600; sorted and with instructions would bump it up, but you just can't sell it in bulk for as much as you'd get selling as complete sets. I can't imagine bulk Lego is worth twice as much in Sweden as it is in the US.

The article also mentions he has an almost complete run of Lego space sets, so I'm sure thats adding to the cost.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

FadingChord posted:

There's only one Lego pizza guy for me. :colbert:

Whoah. I'm so glad they've settled on a consistent and well designed style for face printing. There were such monstrosities once.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Lego > bitches, especially ones that want you to sell it ~for them~ rite guyz?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

jeeves posted:

Lego > bitches, especially ones that want you to sell it ~for them~ rite guyz?

Jorts club 4 lyfe.

Picked up a complete set of Lego Simpsons thanks to a Lego store employee helping me. There are a few characters that weren't included that I'd like, hope they do more with the license.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I found the DeLorean today at a local TRU... for $50 CDN.

It was the last one left.

What should I do?? :ohdear:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I found the DeLorean today at a local TRU... for $50 CDN.

It was the last one left.

What should I do?? :ohdear:

Skip it and order it for $45 CDN?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, they aren't rare. My lego store had probably a dozen of them on the shelves when I was there earlier this week.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

xzzy posted:

Benny's is quite a bit bigger than I was prepared for. I knew it was a beefy ship but I really have no idea where to put the thing.

Benny's S3 and the Galaxy Explorer by mrxzzy, on Flickr

Build is okay, it's super sturdy and there's a couple neat tricks in there but it's basically a technic chassis with some blue and grey stuck on top of it. The engines in particular are very cool and once I've admired the thing on a shelf for a while I'll be stealing those engines and building a new ship with them.

Fortunately it still looks pretty good without stickers, because I loving hate stickers.

I finished building mine today. The only thing I'm disappointed in is that the bottom where the wings are is just exposed technic boxes. I may enclose them later and add some greebling to to the bottom.

I have nowhere to put it as well. Once I finish my nephews spare bedroom at my house, I'll likely put it on display in there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, it doesn't even have landing gear. A lot of random colors under there too, maybe they wanted it to look like the parts came out of some kid's tub of pieces?

I don't like the wing extending feature either. It's clever and all but the ship looks kind of stupid with the wings extended. I'm thinking I'll play around with modifying it for fixed wings and also do something about the underside.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Sorry for the stupid question, how are you guys getting benny's ship, I thought it was supposed to be available in june?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Retailers ~breaking street dates~

FreyaXI
May 1, 2011
I don't really know much bout retailers breaking street dates but at my lego store they we're sell upon receipt.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

FreyaXI posted:

I don't really know much bout retailers breaking street dates but at my lego store they we're sell upon receipt.

Yep. Bought mine at the Lego Store. A family member works literally 100 feet from the store so I sent them over to check when I read that Xzzy bought one.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

ltr posted:

Yep. Bought mine at the Lego Store. A family member works literally 100 feet from the store so I sent them over to check when I read that Xzzy bought one.

gently caress it, day off tomorrow so I'm going to Fashion Valley Lego to see if they have that or the X-Men one. Been seeing that on instagram lately, and drat I want it hella bad.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

squarerandom posted:

gently caress it, day off tomorrow so I'm going to Fashion Valley Lego to see if they have that or the X-Men one. Been seeing that on instagram lately, and drat I want it hella bad.

X-Men set has been at my local Fred Meyer/Kroger if you have either near by.

deathsuxdontdie
Apr 12, 2004

Excellent Patient Care

The Rage posted:

Haven't opened and built it yet, so I'm not sure of its size. I've wanted it for awhile, and the $9 off + my Lego points + Revan made it worth it to me.

I have zero self control so I ended up just going to the store and buying one anyway.

It's WAY bigger than I thought it'd be. I don't have a tape measure but it looks a little under 2 feet long. It was a pretty fun build(first time I've built a Lego set that needed more than 1 instruction book) and now it's sitting on my desk being a pretty cool looking reminder that I shouldn't log back into SWTOR with my summer off. Totally worth the full price, for me anyway.

deathsuxdontdie fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 22, 2014

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Bah, the closest lego store to me is in Toronto, which means I'll pay 20-30% markup + 13% tax. Guess i'm waiting for it to be available online.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

InfinEight posted:

Sperm banks.
His jorts? How will that help?

FreyaXI
May 1, 2011

Rawrbomb posted:

Bah, the closest lego store to me is in Toronto, which means I'll pay 20-30% markup + 13% tax. Guess i'm waiting for it to be available online.

You talking about the Fairview store? Which is the same price as online?

E: Unless you're talking about state prices then yeah it's marked up.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Slugworth posted:

His jorts? How will that help?

How else would he catch the sperm? You just wring it out later.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

FreyaXI posted:

You talking about the Fairview store? Which is the same price as online?

E: Unless you're talking about state prices then yeah it's marked up.

Yea, sorry, I live in the US, bit north of Niagara falls.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Rawrbomb posted:

I found a Spaceship^3 at a Toys R Us, and surprisingly it was the same $100 MSRP without the usual Toys R Us markup. They had the other late-wave movie sets (Emmett's Mech and the police dropship thing) too.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

The Rage posted:

X-Men set has been at my local Fred Meyer/Kroger if you have either near by.

:rock: Lego store had 2 left, so I bought one! Ah Yeah.

edit: I love this build. It's such a nice quick and streamlined build, great ship, great heftyness(??) doesn't seem frail at all. Love the minifigures too. I might be slightly biased as X-Men were always my favorite and the 90's blackbird that broke up into 3 parts was my favorite toy as a kid.

squarerandom fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 23, 2014

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I haven't posted in here in a long time, but I just caught The Lego Movie, and I cannot believe how much genuine AFOL Fan-Service they managed to pack into it. And not just "hey, I recognized all those parts", they actually had the loving PART NUMBERS ON SCREEN.

I'm a little ashamed of how happy that made me.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Man, I really wish I had a Lego store close to me.

The closest ones are nearly 2 hours away..in another country...:negative:

But the PAB looks so amazing! I'm certainly no Master Builder, but I like just playing around with things. I'm really, REALLY fond of doing micro-builds, especially spaceship microbuilds (because Space is the best. Obviously. :colbert:) but those require a lot of relatively specialized pieces that aren't usually in abundance in "regular" sets. And to make them look nice, you obviously also want them in the same color scheme. I was just messing around last night, and was able to make just a couple half-assed micro ships, and the colors were just all gobbeldy-gook.

I suppose I can use the PAB section of the online store, but I was under the impression that's a lot more money...plus, being able to see giant walls of Lego would just be marvelous. :allears:

Edit: And the talk on the previous page gives me the impression you just pay a flat-rate for a cup? Not by the piece/by the pound?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Haha I just noticed the the police dropship comes with a Johnny Thunder minifig