Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Except your Achilles isn't in your knee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.
I'm going off the fact that officials are saying hamstring issue for right now, which are technically connected to your knee.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Edwin has a .949 SLUGGING PERCENTAGE over the last 15 games.

loving dingers.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

MassaShowtime posted:

Edwin has a .949 SLUGGING PERCENTAGE over the last 15 games.

loving dingers.

He started out slow but I definitely had "Faith" that he'd heat up :razz:

Sorry, I'll stop with the fake George Michael song posts, that one was most definitely Limp Bizkit.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.
He's not even the guy with Careless Whisper as his walkup song :psyduck:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

BasicFunk posted:

Carlos Gomez and a couple guys from the Braves visit the boy hit with the foul ball.

Did Gomez go there to finish the job? :ohdear:

But seriously, good on ya, guys.

I'm kind of surprised they haven't extended the nets further down the base lines. I get people would bitch about it being impossible to see or obstruct the view but whatever. I'm just shocked it doesnt' happen more often. And yeah, eventually a kid will die ala that hockey game where the little girl died.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's really easy to see through the nets, you never hear anyone sitting behind home plate complaining about the view. I agree, it's going to take some poor person dying :(

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Last night, Michael Wacha had a ball lined back at his head. He caught it.

The next inning, when sitting in the dugout, Matt Adams lined a foul ball into the Cards' dugout, hitting Wacha in the elbow. Wacha was removed from the game. Not sure if he'll miss time or not.

No elbow is safe.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Wacha Destination

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

FairGame posted:

Last night, Michael Wacha had a ball lined back at his head. He caught it.

The next inning, when sitting in the dugout, Matt Adams lined a foul ball into the Cards' dugout, hitting Wacha in the elbow. Wacha was removed from the game. Not sure if he'll miss time or not.

No elbow is safe.

Wacha was supposed to be hit with the first one. The observers had to make a correction.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

tadashi posted:

Wacha was supposed to be hit with the first one. The observers had to make a correction.

Someone with photoshop talent needs to put Wacha into a Final Destination poster.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Groucho Marxist posted:

Jeter is retiring so Lawrie is going for the unnecessary jump throw crown

He has a hard time seeing over all that rear end.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Cubs are going forward with the Wrigley renovations because gently caress the rooftop owners: http://m.mlb.com/video/v33045675/ricketts-discusses-need-to-expand-and-restore-wrigley/?partnerId=as_mlb_20140522_24439044

Lowering plywood to protect the TV. Wrigley loving Field, baby!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Deathlove posted:

Cubs are going forward with the Wrigley renovations because gently caress the rooftop owners: http://m.mlb.com/video/v33045675/ricketts-discusses-need-to-expand-and-restore-wrigley/?partnerId=as_mlb_20140522_24439044

The parasites will perish as they should.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Deathlove posted:

:lol::lol::lol: holy poo poo I knew Wrigley was bad, but I didn't know it was that bad.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Sexual Lorax posted:

:lol::lol::lol: holy poo poo I knew Wrigley was bad, but I didn't know it was that bad.

I don't think I agree that it's the worst facility in MLB - I mean, it's no O.Co, but the stories are pretty hilarious.

I also love how this video is just straight up, literally "gently caress the rooftop owners." Not even hedging it a bit.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

As much as I don't care for the Ricketts and don't care about the Cubs in general, gently caress the rooftops.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Deathlove posted:

There's a ton of info, including that video, at http://www.wrigleyfield.com/ that explains the plan in detail. :eng101:

The thing I'm looking forward to most is no more men's room troughs.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Pander posted:

As much as I don't care for the Ricketts and don't care about the Cubs in general, gently caress the rooftops.

This entire delay is just the Ricketts trying to avoid getting stuck in arbitration with the rooftop owners. It's all absurd.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Deathlove posted:

I don't think I agree that it's the worst facility in MLB - I mean, it's no O.Co, but the stories are pretty hilarious.

I also love how this video is just straight up, literally "gently caress the rooftop owners." Not even hedging it a bit.

The Cubs clubhouse/training facilities are pretty horrid by MLB standards but the heart of the deal is still signage-development-revenue, which is why everything ended up on hold until the rooftop were dealt with. I'm not sure what's happened in the last couple of weeks to make the Ricketts say gently caress It, but it lends credence to the talk that it's just a couple of the rooftop owners completely unwilling to cut any sort of deal. I'm guessing the rooftop owners will end up getting some sort of payoff until the end of that incredibly stupid contract the Tribune signed with them in the end, then most of the buildings will end up getting converted back into condos. I'd love to see how much the rooftops ended up spending to buy the buildings and more or less turn them into sports bars with seats on the roof, and with court proceedings upcoming I'll probably get that chance!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

GoatSeeGuy posted:

The Cubs clubhouse/training facilities are pretty horrid by MLB standards but the heart of the deal is still signage-development-revenue, which is why everything ended up on hold until the rooftop were dealt with. I'm not sure what's happened in the last couple of weeks to make the Ricketts say gently caress It, but it lends credence to the talk that it's just a couple of the rooftop owners completely unwilling to cut any sort of deal. I'm guessing the rooftop owners will end up getting some sort of payoff until the end of that incredibly stupid contract the Tribune signed with them in the end, then most of the buildings will end up getting converted back into condos. I'd love to see how much the rooftops ended up spending to buy the buildings and more or less turn them into sports bars with seats on the roof, and with court proceedings upcoming I'll probably get that chance!

https://twitter.com/dan_bernstein/status/469475822512791553

quote:

Source: #Cubs hardball move due largely to one roofie who is "Too dumb to understand any negotiation. He's just a total a--hole."

That feels about right, yep.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Cubs won't win a world series until they move back to west side park.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Cubs toned down their original design for expansion a ton because of the rooftop owners and jumped through a lot of hoops to try to appease them as much as possible. You can tell from the video that Tom Ricketts is just sick of dealing with their poo poo. I hope they go back to the original plan with the bigger video board. Getting approval from the city will be easy, since Rahm really wants the renovations to happen.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

The cool part is since they're adding seats, it might be able to be deemed an expansion and get around at least some of the horrible rooftop agreement.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Ricketts will also be able to get some enormous tax breaks from the renovation, since it counts as restoring a historical monument.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Arencibia got completely outrighted and no team claimed him. He's off Texas' 40 man now. RIP.

edit: Mike Moustakas sent down to AAA, RIP.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 22, 2014

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

There's a ton of info, including that video, at http://www.wrigleyfield.com/ that explains the plan in detail. :eng101:

At eight years old, standing in a baseball stadium shoulder-to-shoulder (or shoulder-to-waist, more accurately) with full-grown men, all peeing in a trough together was a magical experience.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Harlock posted:

Arencibia got completely outrighted and no team claimed him. He's off Texas' 40 man now. RIP.

Good riddance.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DoctaFun posted:

He started out slow but I definitely had "Faith" that he'd heat up :razz:

Sorry, I'll stop with the fake George Michael song posts, that one was most definitely Limp Bizkit.

bro you are trying way too hard

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.
As someone who doesn't know much of the history behind Wrigley Field, I don't understand: How do the rooftop owners legally have any sway over the owners of Wrigley at all? What's the legalese stopping them putting a giant Safeco Field style video-board right in front of their sight-line out of spite?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Krigen posted:

As someone who doesn't know much of the history behind Wrigley Field, I don't understand: How do the rooftop owners legally have any sway over the owners of Wrigley at all? What's the legalese stopping them putting a giant Safeco Field style video-board right in front of their sight-line out of spite?

The Tribune Company, owners of the Cubs before the Ricketts, decided they wanted some of the money rooftop owners made off letting people watch the games from across the street.

So they made an agreement with the owners, "give us a small % of the revenue you guys make and we're cool and won't gently caress you over". This actually followed attempts by the trib to just put a screen to block the view of the owners, which pissed people off without any actual revenue-generation for the trib.

The Trib were terrible, terrible owners.

Turns out getting the loose change from the owners was peanuts compared to actually getting signage revenue, so the Ricketts want to get out of that contract.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Booooo, piss troughs rule.

Holy hell that plywood covering the TV is hilarious.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

There's a clause in the Cub's contract with the RTOs that basically says that any changes approved by the landmark commission after like year 8 in the deal allow the Cubs to do whatever they want without paying back any money to the rooftops. I think that's what the Cubs are working off of, too.

The problem with Wrigley is that there is no revenue generating signage at the moment and the Cubs have sort of a below-market tv deal (becuase their previous owner, Sam Zell, owned WGN by way of the Tribune and got some sort of ownership stake in CSN when he signed that deal). To some extent, Zell treated the Cubs like a corporate raider treats a company they take over. He didn't break the Cubs down into useless parts but he straddled them with a lot of debt in order to drive up ticket revenue and made deals that benefited other entities he could make money from.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 22, 2014

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pander posted:

Turns out getting the loose change from the owners was peanuts compared to actually getting signage revenue, so the Ricketts want to get out of that contract.

That contract runs until like 2023, though, so there's no way this doesn't wind up in court.

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.

Pander posted:

The Tribune Company, owners of the Cubs before the Ricketts, decided they wanted some of the money rooftop owners made off letting people watch the games from across the street.

So they made an agreement with the owners, "give us a small % of the revenue you guys make and we're cool and won't gently caress you over". This actually followed attempts by the trib to just put a screen to block the view of the owners, which pissed people off without any actual revenue-generation for the trib.

The Trib were terrible, terrible owners.

So basically they shot a viable long-term plan in the foot, that would have ultimately generated far more profit, for short term pennies in the present. Sounds like standard stadium management practices alright.

tadashi posted:

The problem with Wrigley is that there is no revenue generating signage at the moment.

Wow I almost didn't believe you but there really isn't. Kind of charming that a stadium isn't plastered in signage in 2014 but I think I'd rather trade aesthetics for a better funded team.

Gina like vagina fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 22, 2014

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Krigen posted:

So basically they shot a viable long-term plan in the foot, that would have ultimately generated far more profit, for short term pennies in the present. Sounds like standard stadium management practices alright.

Wow I almost didn't believe you but there really isn't. Kind of charming that a stadium isn't plastered in signage in 2014 but I think I'd rather trade aesthetics for a better funded team.
Ehhhh it's a loss of money, but the Cubs are up there with the Red Sox and Yankees in terms of universal vs local appeal. I don't get how a team that sold out for the better part of the last 15 years and has a merchandizing arm as large as it does can cry poor just because of a lack of advertising signage.

Not gonna argue that they lose out on a lot of nickel and dime stuff, like the lack of parking sales for games due to their neighborhood, but I cannot accept the concept that they're hurting and that getting signage revenue would actually let them invest in the team vs. lining the Rickett's pockets.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Tom Ricketts is still sort of a goober, but that video is gangster as gently caress. Go Cubs!

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Tom Ricketts is loving terrible

gently caress him

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Pander posted:

Not gonna argue that they lose out on a lot of nickel and dime stuff, like the lack of parking sales for games due to their neighborhood, but I cannot accept the concept that they're hurting and that getting signage revenue would actually let them invest in the team vs. lining the Rickett's pockets.

Pretty much this, I want the renovations to happen, but only because I want to go see my favorite baseball team in a place that I'm reasonably sure won't outright try to murder me, not because I think this is How The Cubs Will Finally Afford A Good Team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Trying to weasel out of a contract is very gangster. The soft rear end Stringer Bell kind of gangster.

• Locked thread