Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Sorry, bit of an old running joke from their Kingdom of Loathing podcast.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

HMS Boromir posted:

Sorry, bit of an old running joke from their Kingdom of Loathing podcast.

I love when the old running jokes show up like Blive Barker because they are a hilarious and b must confuse the gently caress out of people.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
After listening to the most recent WOFF, I was going to post here to defend my use of the word "tryhard", but then I realized that if I'm that bugged by someone disagreeing with me on the Internet I should probably turn my computer off and go outside, so thanks?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

Twitch posted:

After listening to the most recent WOFF, I was going to post here to defend my use of the word "tryhard", but then I realized that if I'm that bugged by someone disagreeing with me on the Internet I should probably turn my computer off and go outside, so thanks?

In fairness, I was being cantankerous about the term. I just opted to shoot my mouth off about it on a podcast rather than go outside.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I haven't been outside in weeks.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Outside is for tryhards.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

VGHD stats: ow my brain.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
One time I went outside and it was really bright and hot. Now I podcast in a room with air conditioning and semi transluscent drapes which has become my complete reality.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Just listened to the newest Idle Thumbs and I wanted to point out that a lot of Japanese indie games have actually gotten translated releases on Steam after Recettear and Cave Story proved that there's definitely a market for them. I'd say I'm patiently waiting for the Touhou series to hit Steam but the creator is a famously insane drunk who hates money and westerners, so gently caress him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Except ZUN actually came to the US and was completely blown away by how big a fanbase Touhou has in the west, to the extent that he has spoken about exploring options for distributing his games here, possibly digitally through services like Steam. He had always thought that western fans were just a vocal minority online until he filled an entire theater with fans, mostly in full cosplay, when he held a panel in a US anime convention. There's a really great picture of him amidst a sea of fans out there.

And yeah, I had reached out to Spacedrake to get the full feel-good story on the foundation of Carpe Fulgur and the massive success of Recettear so I could send it in to the Thumbs, but he never replied and the article I had read ages ago that gave a rundown of it all seems to have vanished between then and now. Recettear was really the catalyst for releasing Japanese indie games on Steam, what with it selling something like 500 times what it had originally sold in its existence in Japan.

I would also love to see them play the game and talk about it, because it is a great, unique idea for a game; hiring adventurers to explore dungeons for loot to sell in your capitalism and haggling simulator of a JRPG item shop is really something. I put sixty hours into the game which was mostly satisfying, it has some jank and grindiness in the Zeldalike dungeons but has a ton of heart and can be both surprisingly funny and emotional in turn. The translation was outstanding too. I am really glad CF convinced Easygamestation to make an instrumental of the title theme music though, the singing of the original was ear piercing. :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I hadn't heard the phrase "salty dog" used in years until the latest Thumbs episode, so thanks for that.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Silentman0 posted:

Just listened to the newest Idle Thumbs and I wanted to point out that a lot of Japanese indie games have actually gotten translated releases on Steam after Recettear and Cave Story proved that there's definitely a market for them. I'd say I'm patiently waiting for the Touhou series to hit Steam but the creator is a famously insane drunk who hates money and westerners, so gently caress him.

I'd wager a lot of westerners would be uncomfortable with children in sexy costumes so maybe he's better off.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
There's no sexy costumes in Touhou, let alone worn by children, so I'm not sure where you're coming from with that one.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

HMS Boromir posted:

There's no sexy costumes in Touhou, let alone worn by children, so I'm not sure where you're coming from with that one.

Maybe I've only seen creepy fan art but I was under the impression that Touhou entirely stares prepubescent girls in costumes.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The actual games are pretty much 100% clean and creep-free. It does have an all-female cast of fairly young-looking characters though, so it attracts the kind of awful fanart you've presumably seen.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Al! posted:

Maybe I've only seen creepy fan art but I was under the impression that Touhou entirely stares prepubescent girls in costumes.

Yes, but they're only sexy costumes in the aforementioned creepy fan art.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, judging something based on creepy fanart is really dumb. While there is a shitload of Touhou fanart(there's well over a million individual images on Pixiv alone), there is a large portion of it that isn't creepy. Try GISing "Utsuho" and you'll find that there's very few examples of creepy images of her. Considering she is a Yatagarasu, a three-legged hell raven from Japanese mythology, that's impressive that ZUN managed to make an entirely non-creepy character out of that premise.

Almost every single Touhou character is a girl wearing extremely covering, frilly, outrageous getups and silly hats. Nearly without exception. ZUN is just a bad artist(since he is determined to make each game entirely himself, all the art, gameplay, code, story, and music is done by him for every mainline game). He's an excellent composer and game maker, but is a terrrrrrrible artist.

POLLY WAS NOT MEANT TO BEEEEEE

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 24, 2014

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There may not be anything stand-out creepy about the Touhou games, but having the instinct that you should avoid them anyway is one that probably has developed for very good reasons, and has likely served you well so far.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

doctorfrog posted:

There may not be anything stand-out creepy about the Touhou games, but having the instinct that you should avoid them anyway is one that probably has developed for very good reasons, and has likely served you well so far.

Please elaborate. :allears:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Captain Invictus posted:

Please elaborate. :allears:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3612103&pagenumber=15&perpage=40#post430055591

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nah that's not really a valid argument for your case but okay dude, don't put any effort into a response then.

Touhou story-wise is about girls in frilly dresses and silly hats being assholes to each other and then having a huge party at the end of every game with all the protagonists and antagonists. That's really all there is to it.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 24, 2014

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Silentman0 posted:

I'm the one who wrote that reader mail, and you're right; the games on that list and a few others that aren't on Steam are what I meant by "occasional instances". But as far as I know, none of them have been overwhelming successes like Recettear or gotten much (if any) press.

What Recettear and Cave Story proved is that games on Steam live and die by their merits, regardless of their nationality. But most doujin developers just don't have the resources or necessarily even the desire to give their games much in the way of polish or iteration or refinement, and that does hurt their marketability.

I'll be interested to see what happens if the Touhou games ever do show up on Steam. Touhou fans are used to getting all their poo poo for free day-and-date with the Japanese release, so who knows how it will go if they're suddenly expected to pay for it months after the fact.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
The Idle Thumb guys have been tweeting about Neil Cicierega's Mouth Sounds mashup album and it is really good while also being incredibly stupid.

If you want to hear Smash Mouth's Rockstar mashed up with John Lennon's Imagine, give it a listen.

Old Swerdlow fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 24, 2014

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

FractalSandwich posted:

I'll be interested to see what happens if the Touhou games ever do show up on Steam. Touhou fans are used to getting all their poo poo for free day-and-date with the Japanese release, so who knows how it will go if they're suddenly expected to pay for it months after the fact.

I'd probably buy PCB and IN if they were decently localized and were cheaper than $15.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Old Swerdlow posted:

The Idle Thumb guys have been tweeting about Neil Cicierega's Mouth Sounds mashup album and it is really good while also being incredibly stupid.

If you want to hear Smash Mouth's Rockstar mashed up with John Lennon's Imagine, give it a listen.

No you need to hear the theme of Full House on loop. It is literally artful.

Also, if this isn't legitimately great then I don't want to know what is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRdSoZO-5mM

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Touhou's problem is more or less the same problem with "visual novels" and anime in general - thanks to the more vocal, more visible elements of their fandoms, they've basically got a reputation on the Internet as being "for perverts".

In other words, weeaboos keep poisoning the well of Japanese culture in the West by being garbage people.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Re: idle thumbs latest episode:

There was actually a TF2 event years ago when they gave out random Golden Wrenches to 100 different players and a bunch of them got together and started a charity drive where they raised 31,000 dollars for Child's Play and then destroyed 13 of the Wrenches after the drive ended. So Sean could maybe do something like that???

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

TetsuoTW posted:

Touhou's problem is more or less the same problem with "visual novels" and anime in general - thanks to the more vocal, more visible elements of their fandoms, they've basically got a reputation on the Internet as being "for perverts".

In other words, weeaboos keep poisoning the well of Japanese culture in the West by being garbage people.

A lot of Japanese media really is created with check-boxes, and marketed solely towards perverts, but I don't think Touhou is anywhere close to being an offender. It's just that if you make a game where the main characters are the age of high schoolers, that's what the characters have to look like. It's no more offensive than something like Dexter's Laboratory, because the characters aren't really doing anything except shooting each other with magical energy bullets.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Captain Invictus posted:

Re: idle thumbs latest episode:

There was actually a TF2 event years ago when they gave out random Golden Wrenches to 100 different players and a bunch of them got together and started a charity drive where they raised 31,000 dollars for Child's Play and then destroyed 13 of the Wrenches after the drive ended. So Sean could maybe do something like that???

I feel like this had to have been in Sean's brain somewhere when he said "we could do a charity thing" and then "I don't know how." I still don't really know how that convinced people to give them money for charity.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I remember that episode of Punky Brewster. When she realized all her friends were monsters she panicks and runs down a tunnel and then finds her dog - but it's a skeleton dog and it barks and wags her tail and I had nightmares for a loving month about my dog turning into an undead.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Those noises from that noah game at the end of idle thumbs genuinely had me laughing. I'm so glad there was 5 mins of it. How is that things like that are funny? If you described that to some one they would look at you like you were an idiot.

Not actually seeing the game I think made it funny.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

The Video Games Hotdog guys are running a livestream right now, developing content on the fly for Kingdom of Loathing. See how video game is made!

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

Jippa posted:

Those noises from that noah game at the end of idle thumbs genuinely had me laughing. I'm so glad there was 5 mins of it. How is that things like that are funny? If you described that to some one they would look at you like you were an idiot.

Not actually seeing the game I think made it funny.

Yeah, I was cracking up at that too. Thinking about it now reminds me of whatever 1up podcast would play audio from some terrible batman game.com thing to similar effect, just this weird goofy music and bad sound effects becoming more hilarious the longer it went on.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Davedave24 posted:

Yeah, I was cracking up at that too. Thinking about it now reminds me of whatever 1up podcast would play audio from some terrible batman game.com thing to similar effect, just this weird goofy music and bad sound effects becoming more hilarious the longer it went on.

It sort of bothers me that as soon as I read that all those sound effects came back into my head.

OOAH OOAH

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Found Sound posted:

The Video Games Hotdog guys are running a livestream right now, developing content on the fly for Kingdom of Loathing. See how video game is made!

in my head jick still looks like neil from the young ones to this is literally TORTURE

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

He didn't get to my gil gerard galaga galaxian gilbert godfried or the ur quan masters question

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Tyma posted:

A lot of Japanese media really is created with check-boxes, and marketed solely towards perverts, but I don't think Touhou is anywhere close to being an offender. It's just that if you make a game where the main characters are the age of high schoolers, that's what the characters have to look like. It's no more offensive than something like Dexter's Laboratory, because the characters aren't really doing anything except shooting each other with magical energy bullets.
My point wasn't that Touhou's bad, it was that the worst of Touhou's fans have poisoned the well of "common knowledge" about it by being awful. Most anime, and most Japanese media in general, is produced for normal people. There's a lot marketed to perverts, but that's not even close to a majority, it's just thanks to weeaboo anime fans that's the image.

quote:

Each man kills the thing he loves
The fisherman caught in his own net
It's frightening that you deserve
The audience that you get.

The Beatles found out with Helter Skelter
And John Lennon saw it in Mr Chapman
And the Stones learnt from Gimme Shelter
You're only as good as your fans.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TetsuoTW posted:

This has nothing to do with east or west though. People who play videogames have a terrible reputation because of sheltered idiots telling people how much of a Gamer they are and then acting in a way they would never act in real life because they'd get beaten

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Fair point. I thought about including My Little Pony, Tool, and Homestuck too. Although I don't know, Homestuck might deserve it, I've never read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

My point wasn't that Touhou's bad, it was that the worst of Touhou's fans have poisoned the well of "common knowledge" about it by being awful. Most anime, and most Japanese media in general, is produced for normal people. There's a lot marketed to perverts, but that's not even close to a majority, it's just thanks to weeaboo anime fans that's the image.
That's a real shame in general, but even moreso in this case; for my money, the actual Touhou Project as it's officially released is one of the better portrayals of women in video games. Not that that's saying much.

• Locked thread