Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Tuxedo Jack posted:

NuTrek is really polarizing. A lot of die hard Trek nerds hate them (myself included). That being said, I really enjoyed Cloverfield and early LOST, but Super 8 is garbage.

Super 8, however, is some serious proof that the guy can emulate other styles, which is paramount in giving him the reigns to a sequel over a reboot.

He's not entirely awful as a director or writer, but lets not treat JJ like he's some auteur. He's had some missteps.

The problem with Super 8, though, is it feels like he's emulating Spielberg without understanding how Spielberg makes that sort of stuff work. Like he threw a bunch of Spielbergian elements together without that much thought and just assumed it would mesh. He's competent on a technical level, but you need heart as well, and for whatever reason Abrams just seems to lack that in his films. Hopefully Kasdan can make up the deficit.

Neo Rasa posted:

I actually think he'd be a really good fit for Star Wars because Star Wars itself is such a great pulpy adventure story compared to how the best Trek goes above and beyond that. If he can just emulate the snappiness of the original trilogy's scripts I think we'll get a really fun movie out of it. Stuff like the effects, the acting, I mean these things will be fine even if I'm going to nitpick every silly little thing I dislike about them like all are.

Star Wars is a pulpy adventure story, but it still deals with greater themes, and that's a major part of why it's so beloved. That's what I don't get when people say JJTrek was more like Star Wars than Star Trek. JJTrek is just mindless, sterile space action movies. That's not Star Trek or Star Wars, frankly.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I thought the first halves of Super 8 and Star Trek Into Darkness were pretty good. Not great but very enjoyable. Unfortunately for both films, the second halves were where the stories fell apart.

I still thoroughly enjoy all of Star Trek (2009) though. I haven't seen Cloverfield since it came out but it was also really entertaining on first watch.

I have no doubt he can make a well put together and great looking Star Wars movie. The overall quality of the movie, however, will always reside in the writing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Benedick Cuckold posted:

Star Wars is a pulpy adventure story, but it still deals with greater themes, and that's a major part of why it's so beloved. That's what I don't get when people say JJTrek was more like Star Wars than Star Trek. JJTrek is just mindless, sterile space action movies. That's not Star Trek or Star Wars, frankly.

Except neither of the JJTrek movies were that.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Well maybe we can get this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PALjbTo1D5U

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If the Star Wars movie is as good as the first Star Trek movie I'll be loving ecstatic.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

MrBigglesworth posted:

Hey I have a crazy loving idea! Let's reserve judgement until we view the final product? Is that too much to ask?

I'd much rather read ill-informed Ep 7 speculation, than any more of these bloody awful academic essay-style effort posts about the symbolic subtext of Boss Nass's chin scrotum, or whatever the gently caress.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

kiimo posted:

If the Star Wars movie is as good as the first Star Trek movie I'll be loving ecstatic.

I don't know, man, Star Trek: The Motion Picture seems like a pretty low bar

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

kiimo posted:

This sets a mediocre bar but I agree with it. I don't expect that the new movies will be the height of cinema like the original trilogy. As long as they are solid, fun, slightly emotional, and entertaining, I'll be happy.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

kiimo posted:

I really liked JJTrek myself. And I'm a serious Trek fan. Evaluated on its merits rather than "oh no my favorite property" I liked both movies he did, and I was happy to hear he was in charge of the new ones, it's his wheelhouse.

I also really like the puppet he just showed off today. It's a clear message from him and the production the crew that they're putting their best foot forward. And the contest to see the set is pretty baller. I'll enter (the cheapest option) because that's a hell of a cool prize.

vvvvv people started calling it that and I'm easily swayed by public opinion

hhhat fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 21, 2014

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It would just be nice if a Star Wars movie was truly enjoyable again and I enjoyed the hell out of JJTrek if that's what we're calling it.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I hope this guy is a sith lord

Hmmmm. I'm getting some unnerving Phantom Menace flashbacks here, but that's probably because this guy reminds me of Sebulba. (That and TPM also had its fair share of stiff-looking puppets too).

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

I'd much rather read ill-informed Ep 7 speculation, than any more of these bloody awful academic essay-style effort posts about the symbolic subtext of Boss Nass's chin scrotum, or whatever the gently caress.

Nobody has written anything like that, but now that you mention it...

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Hmmmm. I'm getting some unnerving Phantom Menace flashbacks here, but that's probably because this guy reminds me of Sebulba. (That and TPM also had its fair share of stiff-looking puppets too).

I'm just assuming it'll be enhanced by CG somewhere during post.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

THE BAR posted:

I'm just assuming it'll be enhanced by CG somewhere during post.

Or, as is so sadly often the case, painted completely over with CG.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I guess this means we're back to loving Tatooine again. Well...as a ground zero for a new era I guess it's alright. But seriously, for the most boring place in the galaxy there sure is a lot going on.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Say what you want about Episode I, I certainly do. But Sebulba was a good character.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

euphronius posted:

LOST pilot is really good though.

Yeah, this. Probably the best pilot episode of any show I've seen in the last decade honestly. That opening beach scene with Jack running around, with the score driving it. So good. I loved his iteration of Star Trek, so I've got stupid high expectations for his take on Star Wars.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

teagone posted:

Yeah, this. Probably the best pilot episode of any show I've seen in the last decade honestly. That opening beach scene with Jack running around, with the score driving it. So good. I loved his iteration of Star Trek, so I've got stupid high expectations for his take on Star Wars.

Have you ever read the shooting script for the pilot? It's amazing.

quote:

And Boone hurries off -- Jack, just relieved to be rid of
him, goes back to Rose -- trying to bring her back -- when
suddenly: WREEEEEEEEEEORRRRRR!!! -- a LOUD METALLIC WHINE
which makes Jack TURN AROUND to look --
Dear God, it's --
28 THE loving WING 28
-- THE 75-FOOT WING POINTING TOWARD GOD -- IT'S ACTUALLY
BENDING AT THE FUSELAGE WHERE IT'S CRACKED -- IT'S STOPPED
FOR THE MOMENT, BUT IT'S CLEAR: THIS THING IS MOMENTS AWAY
FROM CRASHING DOWN UPON THE SAND -- WHIP PAN down to the sand
-- WHERE HURLEY AND CLAIRE REST ON THE SAND, oblivious -- and
in the direct path of the enormous metallic WING FULL OF FUEL
-- HORRIFIED --
29 JACK WORKS ON THE WOMAN FASTER NOW 29
JACK
-- Come on! Come on!
30 AND THE WING BENDS AGAIN -- 30
about to go -- a SHOT FROM ABOVE THE WING -- FUEL SPRAYING
FROM IT --
31 JACK KEEPS PUMPING -- PUMPING -- 31
Suddenly ROSE GASPS FOR BREATH -- horrified, disoriented, but
ALIVE --

Corek fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 22, 2014

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I guess this means we're back to loving Tatooine again. Well...as a ground zero for a new era I guess it's alright. But seriously, for the most boring place in the galaxy there sure is a lot going on.

It wouldn't have taken much to see that coming... it's a callback to A New Hope, fitting in with the mood the marketing folks are presenting at this point. Not to mention a fair assumption that after the war ended Luke moved back home? Alderaan was blown up, maybe Leia and Han ended up there also. You get the impression Han lived on the ship before he met her. Of course, Leia and Han don't actually have to be together at this point. And Yaavin was just a secret Rebel base. So yeah, Tatooine's possibly the only place that anyone has roots seemingly. If you're going to start the new trilogy before things go to poo poo, you start at home.

Plus it's like poetry...

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I hope this guy is a sith lord

So I've been looking at this guy and thinking he looks cool as hell and how I hope they are gonna do more aliens like him. Then it dawned on me, Disney owns Star Wars...they also own Jim Henson. I'm sure JJ or some Disney exec has half a brain to call Brian Henson and say "Hey Brian wanna do some puppets for Star Wars?". At worst it would look like the first season of Farscape(Which was still amazing), at best it will be some beautiful CG and puppet hybrid that will bring new life into the franchise.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
They own the Muppets but not the Henson Creature Shop which does everything else- I wonder if there might be some bad blood as a result of that.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Maxwell Lord posted:

They own the Muppets but not the Henson Creature Shop which does everything else- I wonder if there might be some bad blood as a result of that.

I thought they had the whole thing, my mistake. Still would probably be cheaper and more effective to do it with the Creature Shop than some other company.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The only one who ever says it's the most boring place in the galaxy is a frustrated teenager who can't wait to get away from it.

From all other indications, Tatooine is a moderately busy hyperspace trading/smuggling hub, a place where a pretty influential gangster holds court, a popular podracing venue... Not quite so insignificant or boring as Luke first makes it out. Yes, it has huge empty spaces (one of which Luke happens to live in), but so does Nevada, which also has Las Vegas.
You know, coming from that kind of thinking, I can sorta see why Lucas spruced up Mos Eisley for the Special Edition into more of a bustling spaceport than a small Western frontier one-horse town. Even if he did go overboard with the ronto butts and the flying droids.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Kart Barfunkel posted:

It sounds like you don't like sand. Please tell us more about why you don't like sand.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

It sounds like you don't like sand. Please tell us more about why you don't like sand.

It's rough and it gets everywhere.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lord Krangdar posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the vast majority of internet commenters are going to hate the new films no matter what their content is, and especially with Abrams at the helm. I can't think of any recent "nerd"-targeted film that has escaped the wrath of vocal and venemous internet fans.

Abrams is still the same guy, he's never going to cater to the standards of the RLM/Cinema Sins/tactical realism/"my immersion!" crowd. But those standards are fundamentally opposed to enjoying what movies actually are, and probably unfulfillable.

Pretty sure that RLM, at least, actually quite liked the Abrams Trek film (at least the first one).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Well it's kinda an important place for most of the heroes, it's not like Endor or Hoth where there's no connection beyond 'remember when we almost died here?'

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Yvonmukluk posted:

Pretty sure that RLM, at least, actually quite liked the Abrams Trek film (at least the first one).

Red Letter Media even said JJ Abrams should have been the one directing the prequels.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Yvonmukluk posted:

As I recall, RLM liked the first Abrams Trek but not the second, due mostly to Kurtzman and Orci's writing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

NGL posted:

As I recall, RLM liked the first Abrams Trek but not the second, due mostly to Kurtzman and Orci's writing.

Pretty much I think the breakdown was 'first one was good, second one had potential and wasn't terrible but holy poo poo bad writing'.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Between watching STITD last night and seeing that awesome-looking creature, I am confident that Episode 7 will look loving fantastic, if nothing else.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Corek posted:

Have you ever read the shooting script for the pilot? It's amazing.

This is how Lindelof writes all his scripts. The script for Prometheus is exactly like this and its hilarious.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
All scripts should be written as if it were just a really excited child trying to tell you as fast as he can the play-by-play of his new favourite movie he just got home from seeing with his parents.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 22, 2014

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Other than Empire Strikes Back, I can't think of a single Star Wars story that doesn't go to Tatooine. You've got to kind of expect it at this point.

Anyway, I have a lot of optimism for VII. I'm not familiar with any of Abrams' work outside of the Trek movies, but I really enjoyed both of those, and if his Star Wars movies could be as entertaining I'd be more than satisfied. Then again, I've never liked any incarnation of Star Trek except for his movies, which probably has a lot to do with why it worked for me but didn't for a lot of Trek fans.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
When you think about it there really aren't a whole lot of established planets in the canon if we're throwing out the EU. There's the big ones from the movies like Tatooine, Endor, Yavin, Dagobah, and Coruscant, but that's kind of it. The wookie planet is another but if they are going for planets already established in the six previous movies the options are kind of limited.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Basebf555 posted:

When you think about it there really aren't a whole lot of established planets in the canon if we're throwing out the EU. There's the big ones from the movies like Tatooine, Endor, Yavin, Dagobah, and Coruscant, but that's kind of it. The wookie planet is another but if they are going for planets already established in the six previous movies the options are kind of limited.

There's also Naboo and Geonosis.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

They can always draw more stuff from the EU. Coruscant was initially taken from there, and they said they're leaving themselves open to drawing further from it in the future. The EU has a lot of problems, but I don't think a lack of interesting settings was ever one of them. Of course, Abrams and crew can always just come up with new poo poo, which would be cool too.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The Clone Wars is still canon, and they visit a lot of planets in this series.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

The Clone Wars is still canon, and they visit a lot of planets in this series.

Good point, there's probably 10-15 new planets established in Clone Wars, although I'm sure most of those also originated in the EU. As long as their are going to pull only what they want from the EU and nothing more then I'm sure it'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Basebf555 posted:

Can't they just make up new planets, like they did in every other star wars film?

• Locked thread