Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

straight jerkers posted:

I haven't had any problems with the audio. Do you have 5.1 enabled in your PS3 settings w/o actually having a surround setup?

The game does have some fairly bad audio issues. I run a 5.1 speaker system and the audio was completely unbalanced between gameplay and cutscenes; I had to force my PS3 to start outputting in stereo to resolve the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

BattleCattle posted:

Drakengard spoilers ahead, go read The Dark Id's LP. Seriously, it's a good read.

"Giving Up Time": For Seere's pact with the big rock-bro, he gave up his relation to time. For all practical purposes, he's incapable of aging beyond being a whiny bitch child, so he's a bit of an anomoly as far as space-time's concerned.

"Black Goop": Turns out, when you huck a Shinji Space-Time Anomoly at a colossal lady-demon who's in the process of eating said space-time, you end up slowing time down to a halt. Since light, as fast as it is, still relies on time to work correctly, the light can't pass from the giant freakish demon lady to your retinas, and what you end up seeing is darkness wherever time was effected: Hence, the "Black Goop".

"Babies": :psyboom:

So basically, you chucked a colossal tool into the universe's works, and wound up breaking local physics. Good job, guy.
That's the LP I was reading, actually. So it's not necessarily that Seere required to die, just that he needed to be launched somewhere near the giant pregnant lady? And doing so stops time, so instead of everyone being eaten, they just kind of stop doing everything altogether? Does this happen to the whole world, or just where all the giant evil space-babies are?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

That's the LP I was reading, actually. So it's not necessarily that Seere required to die, just that he needed to be launched somewhere near the giant pregnant lady? And doing so stops time, so instead of everyone being eaten, they just kind of stop doing everything altogether? Does this happen to the whole world, or just where all the giant evil space-babies are?

I don't think even the writers could answer that question.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Flytrap posted:

I don't think even the writers could answer that question.

I can.

See the areas that are not covered with "black goop"? Physics isn't making GBS threads itself in those places, so light's able to pass through unabated, which is a sign that time's still ticking. There may or may not be straggler space-babies who flew beyond the range of Seere's time bomb (heh), but otherwise the world should be able to continue (RELATIVELY) unmolested. It just has a big black pimple now. A pimple filled with canibal space babies, a giant magic singing lady, a dipshit, a half-eaten dragon, and the biggest rear end in a top hat in a world filled with assholes.

So yeah, the world made out okay in this ending, just so long as noone bursts the pimple.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

So, is there anything as mind-numbingly tedious in Drakengard 3 as the Nier sidequests?

Yes. Drakengard 3. :downsrim:

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Play on Easy and look up the last ending on Youtube. You will not be able to do the last ending. It involves a rhythm game which requires 49 button presses in half second secession flawlessly by the end of it... But hey this is the Drakengard 3 thread...

It's actually really easy because you can just keep constantly pausing the game and memorizing the the next few button presses from the screen.
:goonsay:

But yeah I probably wouldn't have even tried pausing if the physical pain hadn't first forced me to.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I, uh, just... "experienced" E ending of Drakengard 1. I'm, uh, I'm not sure I have any words, aside from "I think I'm done with video games now."

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Butt Ghost posted:

I, uh, just... "experienced" E ending of Drakengard 1. I'm, uh, I'm not sure I have any words, aside from "I think I'm done with video games now."
Drakengard 1's increasingly insane endings combined with the most experimental video game soundtrack I've ever heard really rose that game to near-art status.

The gameplay was tedious and mindnumbing, but when you're blaring that soul-crushing music and the characters are all shouting about the end of the world, you really feel as if there's this heavy, menacing emotional cloud over you. It's almost a masochistic experience.

I'm way early on in D3, but I'm hoping it'll capture a little of that same spark of originality.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Cleared Ending C. That was uh...a thing.

Let the great weapon grind commence. I only need...hundreds of thousands of gold...

poo poo.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

jonjonaug posted:

Cleared Ending C. That was uh...a thing.

Let the great weapon grind commence. I only need...hundreds of thousands of gold...

poo poo.

I feel like I only had to do the third (?) survival challenge a few times to collect all the money I needed after C, but I did this (fifth post) when I was grinding everything to level 4 for plat. I don't know what the spear is named in the English version but the sword is Bloodletter.

edit: the spear is Final Knell

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 23, 2014

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
The anticipation is killing me. Despite getting my Collector's Edition shipping confirmation last week my estimated time of arrival isn't till the middle of next month. Now I remember why I never order anything online.

DRAKENGARD!!! :argh:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I just got passed Three and the encounters with each sister are wonderful.

Squallege fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 23, 2014

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
What determines how many hits are in your weapon's combo chain, your level or the weapon's level? I want to upgrade one of the two swords I've picked up so far (I'm only up to Chapter 1 Verse 3), but I'm not sure which one yet.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

What determines how many hits are in your weapon's combo chain, your level or the weapon's level? I want to upgrade one of the two swords I've picked up so far (I'm only up to Chapter 1 Verse 3), but I'm not sure which one yet.

Weapon level.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I want to kill Cent and make it so he never joins my party, is that normal?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

alcharagia posted:

I want to kill Cent and make it so he never joins my party, is that normal?

Yes.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Cent is the best you people are crazy

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please stop hating on trivia and bad jokes guy voiced by Weiss, thank you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Liam O'Brien's in rare form as Cent. He's usually better at voicing pompous, intellectual types but Cent just does not give a gently caress and his every line shows it.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Here's an analysis on how Drakengard 1 is about the alteration of the truth, and how a terrible person is turned into a legend. Spoilers, of course. It seems like a fairly solid interpretation, though this guy also says that Persona 4 is about how Yu Narukami is a sociopath, so he could just be looking too far into it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
"That conceal their secrets beneath their skirt, like a coy transvestite."

I'm sure that he'll have a great analysis.

Brackhar posted:

I am broken. I'm enjoying Drakengard 3 more than Transistor. What's wrong with me.

I straight up don't get 'enjoying' Drakengard. I mean it's an experience but it's more like watching a trainwreck. Interesting to look at but not fun.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Anatharon posted:

I straight up don't get 'enjoying' Drakengard. I mean it's an experience but it's more like watching a trainwreck. Interesting to look at but not fun.

Drakengard 3 is one of the best games I've played in a while. I'm enjoying it as much as I am Bravely Default.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Anatharon posted:

No, it's plenty of fun for the right kind of people. I mean Hell, how long have people been playing the Dynasty Warrior games? And there have been a shitload more of those.

gently caress, as I said earlier I still go back to the first two games because I genuinely enjoy the gameplay.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Well, some people like out of tune music, but these people are wrong too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dynasty Warriors games have more to them than this game does. It is the bottom barrel of gameplay mechanics and it can't even keep the actual game working properly. Like I'm not hating playing it, but it's very clear this is not a good game from any objective perspective. The game looks ugly as poo poo too, I can see the jagged edges of the pixels as they come off of the environment, it's like playing God Hand again (Although that game is good). The level design is also not good and straight up terrible in the desert areas.

There are a lot of obvious problems with the game unlike Dynasty Warriors where those games are at least competently made even if they do get samey. I don't blame people for saying they like the game, it's cool that you do, but really trying to use Dynasty Warriors as a comparison is very silly.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I'm digging it so far after about 90 minutes. It has that janky Cavia charm to it. Holy crap is the Dual Shock 3 an adjustment after six months of PS4, though.

I assume getting all of the endings is contingent on completing the weapon collection. Do they all need to be max level too or is that just for earning trophies? I'm trying to avoid looking at trophy lists.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
To get all of the endings you just need to complete one ending and then you unlock the branch into the next. It's not until Ending D that you need to do specific requests to get that one. Nothing is tied to weapon upgrades except trophies.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Anatharon posted:

Yeah, that joke was in pretty poor taste, but "Drakengard is a trace-back from a legend to the truth" is essentially what the guy says. The first path, ending A, is the idealized and final take on Caim's story. As you go through each branch, the main cast is less a group of heroes, and more a bunch of child-murdering assholes. The very end is in a modern-setting, when Caim actually existed, and his tale is taken by his followers and turned into some heroic fantasy. Or, something of that nature. Though I'm not sure Drakengard is meant to be interpreted like that, everyone seemed like an rear end in a top hat from the get-go, imo and the series continuity doesn't really take "none of this really happened like that" into account, but I guess that doesn't mean anything. I just thought this was an interesting way to look at the game. :shrug:

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 23, 2014

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Anatharon posted:

Well, some people like out of tune music, but these people are wrong too.

The idea that I'm wrong for liking something is laughable. You're operating under the assumption that your standards are the only valid ones, which is fine if you're only accounting for your own taste. However, when you expect others to conform to your personal tastes, and chastize them when they don't, it's not only rude, but it also highlights your lack of experience.

You don't have all the answers. Nobody does. Why do I mess with broken machinery? 'cause I like fixing poo poo. Why do people like listening to out-of-tune music? Maybe they're exposed to perfection too often, and need something lovely to break up the monotony.

Why do I like Drakengard 3? I don't fuckin' know. That's the beauty of taste: I don't have to account for it, because I can't. Neither can you.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He was being facetious, no one that says that poo poo actually means it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Woosh.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

They chose a good name for Branch C

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Anatharon posted:

Maybe you can get in on the "I dislike it so much that I enjoy hate-playing it and posting about it" shtick, reaching a level of closeness with the ghosts of Cavia previously thought unattainable. I'm enjoying it so far though so I'm not sure on the exact mechanics of that.

Squallege posted:

I just got passed Three and the encounters with each sister are wonderful.

Four. :smith:

For some reason I'm really hoping One won't turn out to be a horrible person, but, well, the odds aren't great.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Halfway through the D branch.

That second fight against Five was pretty crazy. I'm actually having legit fun with the combat in the C and D branches, I kind of wish the game was more challenging in the early stages. The gameplay is pretty fun when every encounter is a legitimate threat.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
So I got to the first ending. :stare: That sure was an ending.

edit: Huh? Branch? Who are you? What?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I don't give a poo poo about this loving stage. Someone tell me where the two not-obvious golden chests in the desert are? Holy gently caress, is this ever an atrocious level. I didn't even have difficulty clearing it, it was just obnoxious.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Oxxidation posted:

Liam O'Brien's in rare form as Cent. He's usually better at voicing pompous, intellectual types but Cent just does not give a gently caress and his every line shows it.
It's funny to compare him against his japanese voice, where he sounds incredibly whiny.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't give a poo poo about this loving stage. Someone tell me where the two not-obvious golden chests in the desert are? Holy gently caress, is this ever an atrocious level. I didn't even have difficulty clearing it, it was just obnoxious.

Here's a link to a bunch of guide stuff. It has all the chest locations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Cent's voice is Liam O Brien's regular voice which you will very rarely ever hear given the characters he plays. Just finished the B Branch and oh man, I have no idea what just happened.

I figured that Zero sacrificed her life for Mikhail, but she's like in his head or something as a little girl? This is some incredibly silly poo poo. That boss fight required more thinking that previous ones but it still sucked. I was totally cool with just beating down Cent and Two, then another giant monster walks up and is like "FART POISON". I guess the implication at the end there too is that Two killed One, but man impalement by some random titan's spear seems overcomplicated.

Also I am getting very noticeable screen tearing just on the ending credits, holy poo poo.

EDIT: So Zero just created pacts? Hahaha oh man.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Beef Waifu posted:

Cent's voice is Liam O Brien's regular voice which you will very rarely ever hear given the characters he plays. Just finished the B Branch and oh man, I have no idea what just happened.

I figured that Zero sacrificed her life for Mikhail, but she's like in his head or something as a little girl? This is some incredibly silly poo poo. That boss fight required more thinking that previous ones but it still sucked. I was totally cool with just beating down Cent and Two, then another giant monster walks up and is like "FART POISON". I guess the implication at the end there too is that Two killed One, but man impalement by some random titan's spear seems overcomplicated.

Also I am getting very noticeable screen tearing just on the ending credits, holy poo poo.

EDIT: So Zero just created pacts? Hahaha oh man.

Couple things about Ending B, which I agree is kinda confusing. These are just the impressions I got, so don't assume this is all true.

1. That voice is the flower, not Zero.
2. Ending B is the result of One becoming aware that Zero, Three, and Two are all in the forest, so she uses some magic poo poo she found in one of her books to poison it, intending to use it to weaken Zero, Two, and Three so they'll be easier to kill, after which she'll have herself killed. But since Two is completely out of her mind at this point, the poison just makes her even more erratic, so she kills One. Zero succeeds in causing the death of all of the Intoners, but since Mikhail has the flower in his eye very bad things are going to happen eventually.

• Locked thread