Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle
Assault Rifle 1946

When designing this weapon we of course drew much inspiration from the StG 44 (Sturmgewehr 44) which was one of the first modern assault rifles. The 3D model underwent a couple of redesigns.

We added a front grip that could be folded out so the gun could be held in the more recognizable MP 40 grip as well.
This design was a little too close to the real StG44 and besides most fps players have already fired this weapon in numerous WW2 shooters already.

So we added a couple of things to make it a little more unique.

I fattened it up a bit and gave it little more details close to the player view. As many things during 1946 the Nazis were still trying to figure things out and see what could be done. So why not just stick two "bullet acceleration" tanks on the side of the old StG 44.

Ingame model:

warning big 1920x1200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Was there ever a consideration to add bayonets to the 1946? Because going ape with double wielded ARs with bayonets on the end sounds fun.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Jack Trades posted:

Maybe it's just me but I didn't notice laser version doing much damage, i actually think it's quite bad, and there is barely any ammo for bullet version during that level.

It does a fuckton of damage compared to other weapons, especially in doubles.

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle

Party Plane Jones posted:

Was there ever a consideration to add bayonets to the 1946? Because going ape with double wielded ARs with bayonets on the end sounds fun.

Yup we tried it out. That's all I can say :)

Btw a cool youtube vid showing of big part of our work that not many may have realized:
http://youtu.be/1hK4Px4O8aE

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

PAnick posted:

Assault Rifle 1946

When designing this weapon we of course drew much inspiration from the StG 44 (Sturmgewehr 44) which was one of the first modern assault rifles. The 3D model underwent a couple of redesigns.

We added a front grip that could be folded out so the gun could be held in the more recognizable MP 40 grip as well.
This design was a little too close to the real StG44 and besides most fps players have already fired this weapon in numerous WW2 shooters already.

So we added a couple of things to make it a little more unique.

I fattened it up a bit and gave it little more details close to the player view. As many things during 1946 the Nazis were still trying to figure things out and see what could be done. So why not just stick two "bullet acceleration" tanks on the side of the old StG 44.

Ingame model:

warning big 1920x1200

I restarted the campaign today and I did notice the ironsights on the Assault Rifle 1946 were basically the StG 44's. And the change between that and the 1960s variant, at least for me, seems to be just about the sight.

It's a shame the Thompson didn't make it into the rest of the game. I really liked that gun.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

PAnick posted:

Assault Rifle 1946

The weapons look great I must say. I have to ask though, was there any plan on having a MP40 variant as well? It was weird playing a wolfenstein game with no MP40. And also a complete lack of submachine guns outside the first level.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Heh, remind's me of Singularity's assault rifle, which was a Kalashnikov enhanced with sci-fi technology, and cooling fans on the side.

Seeing it from the side, it's clearly the Stg 44 with some extra bits. When actually using it in first person it is less obvious, because the extra sci-fi bits are prominently in the player's view.

I've never been interested in WW2 stuff, the only WW2 games I've played are the Wolfenstein franchise because they are sci-fi/occult that just happens to be set during WW2! The only time I've used an Stg 44 before was in Wolfenstein 2009 (where it was the MP43, which was the original name for the Stg 44).

So personally I'd have loved to dual-wield actual Stg 44s in the opening chapter of The New Order, as for me it would have just evoked nostalgia due to the previous game. And the fact that the Assault Rifle 1946 already looks somewhat futuristic means that 1960 version doesn't seem like much of a contrast.

Of course, I completely understand why you made the 1946 rifle futuristic, - there are other gamers that have played loads of WW2 games, and you wanted it to be clear right from the start that this wasn't yet another WW2 shooter.

PAnick posted:

Yup we tried it out. That's all I can say :)

Btw a cool youtube vid showing of big part of our work that not many may have realized:
http://youtu.be/1hK4Px4O8aE

I've gathered that German gamers are pretty pleased with the game. Especially since they've been able to get it with full violence. (I gather that if you buy it retail in Germany it has toned-down violence, but if you buy it digitally you get it uncut?)

That eurogamer video was wrong about it being the first official release of a Wolfenstein game in Germany, though. The previous games were released in Germany too, except the Nazis were called 'the Wolves', in reference to the name Wolfenstein I guess.

Whoever came up with calling them The Regime is a genius. Cause that's not actually naming the baddies at all. They're still the Nazis, it's just that nobody actually calls them that.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Maybe it's just me but I didn't notice laser version doing much damage, i actually think it's quite bad, and there is barely any ammo for bullet version during that level.

Do you have the battery upgrade? They last forever then.

Anyways, any goons want to start compiling a list of LKR upgrades? By the end it was my favorite weapon, but I'm sure I missed a few things.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
So I just beat the game. Thoughts!

I guess the Nazi ED-209s were not a coincidence with what happened at the end of Deathshea'ds compound level. Clear where they take the inspiration from...

The final battle was great.

The ending... it's Bionic Commando 2009 all over again. What is it with these Swedes and the unsatisfying endings? Where does the series go from here?

All in all, I don't think I've had such a visceral reaction to a video game in, well... ever. The horror bits really were gut-wrenching. I need some time to process it before playing it again on the other timeline.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Turned the difficulty right down so I could dual wield through the final couple of levels with zero problems. No regrets. :colbert:

BTW, does anyone know what happens with Zeklar if you don't sleep and get that little cutscene of teaching her to shoot? Do the same events play out, or does that cutscene end up happening anyway? Oh, and this (spoilers!) screenshot cracked me up like a complete loving idiot.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 23, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just beat it. That ending was actually really sad. I know, I know. "A Wolfenstein game with a sad ending?! :stare: " But yeah, it really was.

Deathshead preserving Fergus' brain, or Wyatt depending who you chose in the intro, and then you having to destroy his robot housing and then fry his brain with your laser blowtorch was horrifying. It was like some Robocop 2 poo poo.

I guess that's the end of BJ? I mean we don't see him die, but he got blown up by a grenade at close range and then was in the proximity of a nuclear blast, so we can kind of assume he's dead, right? So is this the last Wolfenstein game ever? I guess if there are any future Wolfenstein games, they'd have to be prequels, right?

If this were the last Wolfenstein game, I'd be okay with that. This game owned and was a lot more fun to play and much better written than I was expecting. It blew Wolf '09 out of the water.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is anyone else experiencing slideshow-level framerates in certain scenes and total smoothness in others? I'm running 2x670 GTX in SLI with the 337.50 beta drivers, a Core i7-3770K and 12GB RAM, so I don't think it's my compyooter.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I guess that's the end of BJ? I mean we don't see him die, but he got blown up by a grenade at close range and then was in the proximity of a nuclear blast, so we can kind of assume he's dead, right? So is this the last Wolfenstein game ever? I guess if there are any future Wolfenstein games, they'd have to be prequels, right?

Something of note about the ending:
If you sit to the very end of the credits, the song fades out, and you then can hear a helicopter getting louder, and louder and louder. As it sounds like it's right on top of you, it goes back to the main menu. Bit of a hint that they rescued BJ at the last moment.

So, bring on an expansion! Or a sequel! Because we've still got plenty of Nazis left, plus a really loving pissed off Frau Engel was totally set up as a plot hook, don't you think?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Just beat it. That ending was actually really sad. I know, I know. "A Wolfenstein game with a sad ending?! :stare: " But yeah, it really was.

Deathshead preserving Fergus' brain, or Wyatt depending who you chose in the intro, and then you having to destroy his robot housing and then fry his brain with your laser blowtorch was horrifying. It was like some Robocop 2 poo poo.

I really really really wish you had to do both of these things yourself, in first person. It was my only complaint with a surprisingly touching sequence.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dominic White posted:

Something of note about the ending:
If you sit to the very end of the credits, the song fades out, and you then can hear a helicopter getting louder, and louder and louder. As it sounds like it's right on top of you, it goes back to the main menu. Bit of a hint that they rescued BJ at the last moment.

So, bring on an expansion! Or a sequel! Because we've still got plenty of Nazis left, plus a really loving pissed off Frau Engel was totally set up as a plot hook, don't you think?
Oh yeah, I heard that, but does that mean BJ is going to be brought back as a brain inside a robot suit like Fergus/Wyatt? I mean, he still had some pretty loving severe injuries, assuming he wasn't blown away by the atomic blast. Although he's come back from pretty severe injuries before, so.....

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oh yeah, I heard that, but does that mean BJ is going to be brought back as a brain inside a robot suit like Fergus/Wyatt? I mean, he still had some pretty loving severe injuries, assuming he wasn't blown away by the atomic blast. Although he's come back from pretty severe injuries before, so.....

Well, there's always Caroline's super-suit, if she's willing to part company with it for a while. Lots of potential plot hooks set up there.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
#AlwaysBetOnBJ

B.J. LIVES

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Set is still alive and you still have the U-boat, why not just find more tech? Surely they made more than one Iron Man suit, and Set said there were plenty of those caches. If Caroline can somehow still be alive after Wolf 09, a little something like a grenade can't keep BJ down.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I would play the gently caress out of a sequel to this game in which you play as robot BJ though.

Also, man was it satisfying when you stab Bubi in the head in front of Frau Engel as she watches through the monitor and you can just see her sobbing and walking away looking all defeated.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 23, 2014

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Man Fergus is so loving funny.

"What kind of goatfuck operation are you running Blazko!?"

These enigma codes are going to kill me, I keep missing the last one of Mission one. I don't want to use a FAQ but I just might.

Malcolm Excellent fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 23, 2014

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

These enigma codes are going to kill me, I keep missing the last one of Mission one. I don't want to use a FAQ but I just might.

hint: The incineration room is still part of the level.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also, man was it satisfying when you stab Bubi in the head in front of Frau Engel as she watches through the monitor and you can just see her sobbing and walking away looking all defeated.

I'm quite disappointed that you don't get to kill Frau Engel. Thought that's the next best thing.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 23, 2014

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

I would play the gently caress out of a sequel to this game in which you play as robot BJ though.

I felt really really bad at this, quite upsetting even though she's basically pure evil

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hezzy posted:

I felt really really bad at this, quite upsetting even though she's basically pure evil
Well yeah but she simultaneously looks like she's going to come and kill you herself, and she's done tons of awful poo poo to you and your friends at that point.

Unoriginality
Jan 1, 2008
Every time I try to launch the game (TNO), Steam says it's already running. Any of you run into this poo poo?

I've tried the usual suspects like killing steam and making sure the overlay is dead too, checking DirectX and VC++, having Steam verify the files, running as admin, making sure Wolfenstein's process isn't running, and so on.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
How do I open that god drat door in chapter three? This game is making me feel like a fool!

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Well yeah but she simultaneously looks like she's going to come and kill you herself, and she's done tons of awful poo poo to you and your friends at that point.

I turned, watched and giggled along with her sobs of anguish during that event, walking through that vent afterwards kind of made me feel like a huge dick in retrospect.

Fantastic game, I'll probably replay through for the other timeline after I get some more work done in Drakengard 3.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Is anyone else experiencing slideshow-level framerates in certain scenes and total smoothness in others? I'm running 2x670 GTX in SLI with the 337.50 beta drivers, a Core i7-3770K and 12GB RAM, so I don't think it's my compyooter.

What are your in game video settings?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I've played through chapter 1 and part of chapter 2 (I just got done with the interrogation by chainsaw. I'm liking the gameplay a lot, although I've got some reservations about the tone set in the first level but it's almost entirely personal preference.

The opening 1946 level commits a few cardinal "sins" for a Wolfenstein game from my perspective:
1. The timeline change is too overt. RTCW and Wolf09 had this sort of implied aspect that BJ was stopping stuff "behind the scenes" and preventing the Nazis from fielding their crazy technology on any widespread scale, and that outside of the crazy unbelievable poo poo BJ was seeing, WWII was largely progressing the way it had in our "real world" - the only reason being that BJ was outright stopping the Nazis cold in their efforts to create crazy new occult/superscience poo poo. Wolf TNO throws that out the window by altering the timeline and having the war continue into 1946, and show the Allies as basically already losing.
2. The Nazis are too competent (except when BJ is pointing a gun at them). They've clearly got their poo poo together enough to hold off a colossal D-Day style Allied invasion and appear to be a serious, legitimate threat, when in prior Wolf games they were kinda-sorta a joke. Sure they had access to occult poo poo and had particle cannons and supersoldiers, but the tone was always that you knew BJ was going to triumph right from the start and there was going to be the illusion of a challenge for him. It's sort of like the Indiana Jones movies - sure it looks like Indy is in trouble, but right from the opening credits you know he's going to save the day no matter what gets thrown at him. Wolf TNO's 1946 level is a little too grimdark. I can understand grimdark in the 1960 stuff because the goddamn Nazis rule the planet and that's meant to be mega-lovely, but having the 1946 stuff be equally grimdark just seems "off" to me.
3. BJ is tired of killing Nazis. One of the things I like best about the character in RTCW and Wolf09 is that he (just like me) can never, ever get enough Nazi killin'. No matter how many goosestepping motherfuckers the Nazi regime throws at him, BJ always has another bullet for them and he's ready to put them down with a smile on his face. 1946 BJ is a little too Max Payne 3 for my taste, and it kind of deadens my enthusiasm for killing Nazis when the character I'm playing is moping about the war having gone on long enough and how many children have been sacrificed to the unending war machine, etc.

I also wish the visual difference in the Nazis and their weapons had been a bit more dramatic going from 1946 to 1960.

In my head, had I been writing the game, it'd have played out a bit more like this:
It's late 1944/early 1945. BJ gets word that Deathshead is operating out of some secret base developing new technology like always, so he gets sent in alone to deal with it like always. He infiltrates the base, finds run of the mill Nazis using conventional WWII weapons, shoots his way deeper into the base, gets a glimpse of some crazy new tech (a prototype Panzerhund, to make up an example), rigs some explosives to blow the place sky-high... and then things go wrong and he gets put in a coma. Jump forward to 1960 and now the Nazis are all tricked out with new guns and poo poo and they rule the planet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun with the game and maybe some of my problems with the 1946 stuff will get alleviated as the game plays out.

Also anyone who likes the visual design in this game should get the super-kickass 'The Art of Wolfenstein The New Order' book. I've only been reading it sparingly due to spoilers, but there's some crazy poo poo in there. The up-close designs for the Supersoldats are pretty loving crazy, especially their faces. :stare:
Incidentally some of the concept pitch artwork at the very start of the book shows Nazis in space suits on the moon, and their space suits are straight-up copied from Maschinen Krieger. This isn't a bad thing at all since Maschinen Krieger's visual design absolutely kicks rear end.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

quote:

3. BJ is tired of killing Nazis. One of the things I like best about the character in RTCW and Wolf09 is that he (just like me) can never, ever get enough Nazi killin'. No matter how many goosestepping motherfuckers the Nazi regime throws at him, BJ always has another bullet for them and he's ready to put them down with a smile on his face. 1946 BJ is a little too Max Payne 3 for my taste, and it kind of deadens my enthusiasm for killing Nazis when the character I'm playing is moping about the war having gone on long enough and how many children have been sacrificed to the unending war machine, etc.
Blascowitz is addicted to nazi-killing so hard the prospect of it cures brain damage.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Look, BJ doesn't like watching people not be as effecient Nazi slaughtering machines as he is, but he just wanted a vacation. Carrying the allies can get tedious when he doesn't have a competent army on his level.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I got my driver situation sorted out and finally got to play a little bit. Still in 1946, but drat it plays well. Have some issues with sound desych during some in-engine cutscenes (Fergus beating on my chest at the very beginning it was particularly noticeable), but other than that it's running smooth (slightly lower settings, I think textures might be medium? Still looks fine though).

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
I think I'll flip my poo poo if one of the small changes between the timelines is it goes from Hendrix with Wyatt to Morrison with Fergus.

Also hope there's some kind of explanation on why the Nazis decided to go with electronic keypads after Deathshead murders Fergie, and sticks to key locks with Wyatt.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Both types of locks are in either level anyway, just without knowledge BJ is stuck opening only one type of locked door.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

All I know is I want the double barreled shotgun on every level loaded with shrapnel shot. :unsmigghh:

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I wasn't expecting such emotions from this game. I had a drat good time with this. I might revisit '09 now, as I remember loving the gunplay in that.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
EUUUGH. I don't think I'm heaps far in but drat this game is good. I'm one of those people who when hearing this game was announced was all "pfffft probably just more typical modern day FPS CoD poo poo". Wasn't expecting it to be so drat enjoyable. Buy this game people!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Xenomrph posted:

BJ does love killing Nazis, but you have to admit that after seeing all the poo poo he's seen, he recognizes that it seems to be the only thing he is good at. Ironically, if he eliminates all Nazis, then he'll have no purpose in the world!

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Hey PAnick, please convince your entire team to make DLC so I can keep giving you guys money.

Please, take my money drat it. This game kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Yes, please to be making a sequel. Just killing Deathshead won't stop the Nazis completely.

On the other hand, we might be due for a new continuity. This game is the logical conclusion of the story that RTCW started.

• Locked thread