Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aers
Feb 15, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

Instead, one of 'em will now be a guy. Somehow.

http://wikimoon.org/index.php?title=Prince_Uranus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Counterpoint: while I wouldn't recommend that anyone watch all 200 episodes, there's a lot of legit great stuff here. I went through it a few months ago using this guide from a now defunct site, that thankfully was in the internet archive, and it makes some really good choices, and points out some episodes that aren't essential but are worth watching. Start with the guide and depending on how much you enjoy it watch more or less.

While this is something you can enjoy now, there is a remake coming this summer that regular people should be able to watch all the way through.

Your link was broken: https://web.archive.org/web/20120629054713/http://animania.eclectic-world.com/post.cfm/sailor-moon-essential-episodes

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

I don't know what's absolutely batshit retarded about the way they're releasing it. Want to clarify on that?

Releasing it 2 episodes at a time? :psyduck: For a new show, or even one that wasn't 75% filler and 200 episodes long, I could understand that, but this show is ancient, I'm assuming they're gonna be putting it up sub-only since they'll be outpacing the DVD/BD releases, and there's going to be spans of several weeks at a time where they're not really putting anything worthwhile up.

I dunno, maybe I'm just spoiled by stuff like Toei just unceremoniously putting all of Hokuto no Ken up on streaming and Bandai streaming pretty much everything Gundam-related (even if they rotate what series are currently streaming), but this seems like a really oddball way to handle it at best and a straight-up terrible decision at worst.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that someone already thought about it, in way too much detail, in 1998.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that someone already thought about it, in way too much detail, in 1998.

Gotta explain away the gay somehow.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Look, as long as it has a "Sailor Moon Says, hehe" at the end of every episode, it'll be fine.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Postal Parcel posted:

Look, as long as it has a "Sailor Moon Says, hehe" at the end of every episode, it'll be fine.

Why would they have those? Sailor Says was added to the show for the American version in order to satisfy educational television requirements, and while I can see Viz making a one off joke about them they aren't going to be doing them for each episode.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Releasing it 2 episodes at a time? :psyduck: For a new show, or even one that wasn't 75% filler and 200 episodes long, I could understand that, but this show is ancient, I'm assuming they're gonna be putting it up sub-only since they'll be outpacing the DVD/BD releases, and there's going to be spans of several weeks at a time where they're not really putting anything worthwhile up.

I dunno, maybe I'm just spoiled by stuff like Toei just unceremoniously putting all of Hokuto no Ken up on streaming and Bandai streaming pretty much everything Gundam-related (even if they rotate what series are currently streaming), but this seems like a really oddball way to handle it at best and a straight-up terrible decision at worst.

They're probably recording as they go along honestly, that's a lot of material to record for ahead of time and this probably gives them some flexibility for it as opposed to getting all of that dub work done before release. Plus hey, ad hits!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

The Devil Tesla posted:

Why would they have those? Sailor Says was added to the show for the American version in order to satisfy educational television requirements, and while I can see Viz making a one off joke about them they aren't going to be doing them for each episode.

It's almost like he was making a joke.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I haven't seen this show in ages, so finally getting a chance to rewatch from the beginning is awesome! I hadn't noticed how bad Luna is screwing up in the first few episodes. Usagi obviously has her own issues, but Luna is shoving her into battles with no strategy and almost nothing to fight with.

VVVV drat it, wrong thread. I meant to post there in hopes that people would stop posting about dvd quality and nothing else.

Dogwood Fleet fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 20, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I haven't seen this show in ages, so finally getting a chance to rewatch from the beginning is awesome! I hadn't noticed how bad Luna is screwing up in the first few episodes. Usagi obviously has her own issues, but Luna is shoving her into battles with no strategy and almost nothing to fight with.

There's a whole thread for all things Sailor Moon that's probably an even better place to keep the discussion about this awesome and unexpected new release of the original show.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Meanwhile in the UK, All the Anime has picked up Wings of Honneamise. So, standard All the Anime acquisition.

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 22, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh, presumably this'll be the first time the un-cut version has officially been released here. I don't think we ever got it on DVD anyway, the only release it ever saw was good old Mangle Entertainment VHS.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In "Let's just make this official" news, Crunchyroll is streaming SAO II starting July 5.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Huh, presumably this'll be the first time the un-cut version has officially been released here. I don't think we ever got it on DVD anyway, the only release it ever saw was good old Mangle Entertainment VHS.

I mean, you're not actually missing anything with the cut version, literally the only thing that got taken out was a 30-second attempted rape scene.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but Patema Inverted, a.k.a. movie made by the Time of Eve people, completely blew me the gently caress away. That's a movie worth seeing in a theater. I read somewhere that a US release was perhaps planned for Spring 2014, but it seems flaky. Anyone got info on that?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

AnacondaHL posted:

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but Patema Inverted, a.k.a. movie made by the Time of Eve people, completely blew me the gently caress away. That's a movie worth seeing in a theater. I read somewhere that a US release was perhaps planned for Spring 2014, but it seems flaky. Anyone got info on that?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-11-15/gkids-to-release-patema-inverted-in-n-american-theaters

2014 is right, but Spring is off base. Probably sometime in the winter as the article states "2014 or later"

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

AnacondaHL posted:

Okay wait, I'm so confused by the geometry presented in this movie. They fall into the sky and it turns out to be an actual solid ground where all the things so far have fallen onto, but there's no signs of the buildings that fell at the very beginning of the story. No, it turns out that they actually fell into another world underneath the bottom of inverted world and I'm just like :psyduck:
I know it's anime, but what??

It was amazing anyways, will definitely go and actually see it in theaters when it comes out.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

pandaK posted:

Okay wait, I'm so confused by the geometry presented in this movie. They fall into the sky and it turns out to be an actual solid ground where all the things so far have fallen onto, but there's no signs of the buildings that fell at the very beginning of the story. No, it turns out that they actually fell into another world underneath the bottom of inverted world and I'm just like :psyduck:
I know it's anime, but what??

It was amazing anyways, will definitely go and actually see it in theaters when it comes out.

Super duper spoilers of the movie :siren: The sky that Age and Patema fell into (via the weight connected to Patema's leg) wasn't another world, it was the artificial sky the scientists made out of guilt for the people that got gravity inverted. So the planet's core.

Patema's people are the original right-side-up people and the world they "fall into" at the end is actually just them coming up from underground to the real surface. It's stated or implied that the right-side-up people moved underground as part of the guilt of loving all the poo poo up, but my mind was pretty :psyduck: by that point.

So buildings that "fell upwards" are the space trash orbiting the moon at the end.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

AnacondaHL posted:

Super duper spoilers of the movie :siren: The sky that Age and Patema fell into (via the weight connected to Patema's leg) wasn't another world, it was the artificial sky the scientists made out of guilt for the people that got gravity inverted. So the planet's core.

Patema's people are the original right-side-up people and the world they "fall into" at the end is actually just them coming up from underground to the real surface. It's stated or implied that the right-side-up people moved underground as part of the guilt of loving all the poo poo up, but my mind was pretty :psyduck: by that point.

So buildings that "fell upwards" are the space trash orbiting the moon at the end.

Okay wait, I needed to actually draw this poo poo out to fully understand. So is the right side what you're saying the plot twist was?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

pandaK posted:

Okay wait, I needed to actually draw this poo poo out to fully understand. So is the right side what you're saying the plot twist was?

Yes, like that.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
You guys might as well make a thread for it.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
It's okay. It's not up to episode 3 yet.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I didn't even know it was in any sort of licensing limbo, but K-On has been picked up by Sentai for DVD and streaming.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The new Harlock movie is going to be streaming on US Netflix starting August 1.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bullshit! Only the bass-player is lefty! As a lefty, this picture offends my sensibilities! :byodood:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

The new Harlock movie is going to be streaming on US Netflix starting August 1.

Between Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill, and now this, it's neat that they've been streaming shows before they get dubs.

I just wish the Harlock movie was better, but oh well, it's not *terrible*.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

a kitten posted:

I didn't even know it was in any sort of licensing limbo, but K-On has been picked up by Sentai for DVD and streaming.

A Maplestory/Kei-On collab...wha...

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

a kitten posted:

Specifically, season 1, which was one of Bandai's last releases before they wound up US operations.

Talking about Patema Inverted, friendly reminder that if you're in the UK, Ireland, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland and Monaco, you can Kickstart an Ultimate Edition of the film for £35. It includes a lot of bells and whistles, including a localised version of the Official Design Works, which is pretty cool. You can also put your money down for an early copy at a fairly significant discount, too.

Alternatively, All the Anime is showing it in a bunch of cinemas in the UK (mainly Scotland).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Postal Parcel posted:

A Maplestory/Kei-On collab...wha...

This was also my first thought and I am equally confused.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for posting about K-ON without having any real cool news about けいおん, thanks.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

K-ON news: The second season begins airing on Disney Channel Japan next week! Tune in weekdays at 9:30 PM JST, right after Phineas and Ferb! If K-ON isn't enough kids music show for you, you can watch Disney sitcom Shake it up! immediately afterwards.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

The Love Live! rhythm game for cellphones has an English version out now. I'm really enjoying it. While there's an option to buy extra energy in the store, I've been playing about an hour a day with just my free daily amount.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

MagicalDuck posted:

The Love Live! rhythm game for cellphones has an English version out now. I'm really enjoying it. While there's an option to buy extra energy in the store, I've been playing about an hour a day with just my free daily amount.

Awesome. I've immediately downloaded the game. Looks good so far.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

pandaK posted:

Well, it's not really the earth's core, it's just a giant cavern for the Aigans to live in. Who promptly turned against the scientists' descendants for some reason or another.

Doesn't really explain why those Patema's village decided to live out a scavenging lifestyle, you'd think they'd have recolonised the surface world properly.

I think Yoshiura loves certain motifs and imagery. Tall buildings standing alone in a grassy field. Bright post apocalyptic concrete jungles. Bridging an impossible gap.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Pretty much hooked on the Love Live game. Gameplay is fun and collecting, upgrading and leveling your characters is pretty compelling.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Pretty much hooked on the Love Live game. Gameplay is fun and collecting, upgrading and leveling your characters is pretty compelling.

It seems pretty good. I don't really understand special practice, though. Two of the same 1-star makes a 2-star, but you can't combine two of the same 2-star then?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

There are four grades of rarity:
N, R, SR and UR.
Each grade can be idolized once. There is no way to get from N idolized to R!

* is N
** is N idolized
*** is R
**** is R idolized

and so on.

So basically idolize each unique card you have once. Then level that card. Use duplicates for practice and send them away for money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Oh, okay. Thanks for the explanation.

• Locked thread