Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Something about how privileged Americans "discovering" it now consume significantly more than they can produce and that this once staple cheap food source is now too sparse or expensive for the original cultures to eat.
I believe it. I see the price thing happening in a much smaller way even locally. Stuff like oxtail and beef heart and short ribs used to be really inexpensive, but now that they've been discovered by fancy pants foodies, they're not substantially cheaper than anything else. Even soup bones are surprisingly costly most places.

I mean, I don't want to judge people for wanting to elevate peasant food or whatever it is they're doing, but it seriously messes with my budget.

bartolimu posted:

Yay American agribusiness.
Washington state apples are making orchards here in BC unsustainable, too. It's often more cost-effective to let the fruit rot than it is to pay people to pick it, even with subsidies. America :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Cimber posted:

Well today I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and got the meat grinder attachment for my Kitchenaid Mixer. I then went to the store and got three types of meats (Steak rib, sirloin and chuck), as well as some onions and cheese.

My Kitchenaid grinder manages to shoot specks of blood 5+ feet away, so watch where you point it. It's really a minute amount, but still worth accounting for because who wants meat on their walls across the room?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

geetee posted:

My Kitchenaid grinder manages to shoot specks of blood 5+ feet away, so watch where you point it. It's really a minute amount, but still worth accounting for because who wants meat on their walls across the room?

When I use mine, I point it at the side of the fridge. All the specks are easy to see, and the steel won't soak anything up so I can just wipe it down with bleach.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well I just ground the meat. I used a few different cuts and ground it the first time using the large setting. It all came out as a mush into the bowl, so I ran the mush through again using the small setting and it looks beautiful. Good fat content, it looks like ground beef. I'm letting it rest for a little while in the bowl, then I will make it into patties.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

First outdoor grilling of the year: homemade burgers (sadly, didn't grind the beef myself), kielbasa, homemade potato salad, and Bush's baked beans.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Still have my wisdom teeth. :smugdog:

Don't have any.

Born without them. I'm a genetically superior human to all you loving Cro Magnon man types.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
BEST. BURGERS. EVER!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Cimber posted:

BEST. BURGERS. EVER!

Now make sure you sterilize it and if you don't make steak tartare I'd be sternly disappointed in you.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Croatoan posted:

Now make sure you sterilize it and if you don't make steak tartare I'd be sternly disappointed in you.

And kitfo. Do kitfo.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Croatoan posted:

sterilize which, the grinder or the meat. If you mean the meat how would that be done?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Cimber posted:

sterilize which, the grinder or the meat. If you mean the meat how would that be done?

The grinder.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

NosmoKing posted:

Don't have any.

Born without them. I'm a genetically superior human to all you loving Cro Magnon man types.

Yea about this. I said this off-hand to some Muslim girl who revealed she had no wisdom teeth ("Oh neat, no wisdom teeth, you're more evolutionarily advanced!") and then later in the conversation it came up that she didn't believe in evolution. That was awkward.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Over the weekend, I had my bloodiest kitchen accident in a LONG time. No knives involved, either. Any of you use this stuff?

Well, I hadn't bothered to install the Slide Cutter, which also acts as a cover for the razor sharp serrated cutting blade. I opened a cabinet, some stuff shifted, the box of wrap fell out... and I grabbed it. The blade ripped a slot in my thumb in a bad place. SO MUCH blood, those serrated blades really tear you up.

Butterfly closures are miraculous, though: once I got the bleeding to stop, I hauled it back together with a butterfly, and it's healing nicely already. Scar won't be too bad.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Told you not to shop at Costco. :smug:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

Over the weekend, I had my bloodiest kitchen accident in a LONG time. No knives involved, either. Any of you use this stuff?

Well, I hadn't bothered to install the Slide Cutter, which also acts as a cover for the razor sharp serrated cutting blade. I opened a cabinet, some stuff shifted, the box of wrap fell out... and I grabbed it. The blade ripped a slot in my thumb in a bad place. SO MUCH blood, those serrated blades really tear you up.

Butterfly closures are miraculous, though: once I got the bleeding to stop, I hauled it back together with a butterfly, and it's healing nicely already. Scar won't be too bad.

That stuff is so much better than saran wrap. It sticks to stuff that saran wrap won't. Plus, one of those big boxes lasts about 10 times as long, and the slide cutter is boss.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Told you not to shop at Costco. :smug:

Yeah, I totally deserve that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That stuff is so much better than saran wrap. It sticks to stuff that saran wrap won't. Plus, one of those big boxes lasts about 10 times as long, and the slide cutter is boss.

Been using the stuff for three years, and I never bothered with the slide cutter until the other day. Works awesome! And yeah, the rolls last forever.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I'm still on my first roll. We bought a pack like 10 months ago.

To be fair I use a lot of resealable containers instead of plastic wrap but it's pretty crazy.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

we just killed our first roll. I inherited it from my now wife who bought it before we met 10 years ago.

yeah.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

I heard a thing on NPR a while back about how bad quinoa actually is for the environment and south american farmers and stuff. Something about how privileged Americans "discovering" it now consume significantly more than they can produce and that this once staple cheap food source is now too sparse or expensive for the original cultures to eat. That combined with the usual international trade price fuckery and shafting along with low environmental regulation allowing people to gently caress the earth to grow more as cheaply as they can.

so yay quinoa I guess.

Digging this subject back up, I was just made aware of this website. It sells quinoa grown in Canada, so you can feel smug about your hippie rice eating ways without taking a staple crop away from the people who need it.

http://www.quinoa.com/products.html

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Squashy Nipples posted:

Over the weekend, I had my bloodiest kitchen accident in a LONG time. No knives involved, either.

Worst cut I ever saw in a kitchen, waitress knocks industrial box of tinfoil down off the top shelf of the pass, broilerman I was working with instinctively tried to catch it. Fuckin ouch. If I drop a knife or a box with a cutter on it you will see me fuckin jump, I tells ya.

Edit: OMG BEST THING EVER

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gwarbar

Too bad Dave's dead. :/

pr0k fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 27, 2014

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
I spent about 6 months trying to figure out why I had parallel cuts (like a gillete mach 3 would make) on the outside of my hand and arm until I realize one day, as I was knocking the plastic wrap down along the cutter that that's where my cuts were coming from.

I'd still probably have to fight the urge to not catch a falling box of plastic, but I'd never try that with a foil box. They're way heavier than they look.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
We had these aluminium takeaway dishes at the restaurant where I worked. They'd attach with a plastic domed lid. The square ones had rolled edges. The round ones didn't. To shut it quickly, I'd slide my thumb along the (SHARP AS gently caress) edges, and wonder why my thumbs were always shredded to little bits. Because the calluses made it so that I didn't break skin, and the gloves also helped, but gently caress if I didn't wind up with /weird/ scrapes along my thumb.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

pr0k posted:

Worst cut I ever saw in a kitchen, waitress knocks industrial box of tinfoil down off the top shelf of the pass, broilerman I was working with instinctively tried to catch it. Fuckin ouch. If I drop a knife or a box with a cutter on it you will see me fuckin jump, I tells ya.

Edit: OMG BEST THING EVER

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gwarbar

Too bad Dave's dead. :/

I have bagged up too many fingers in my day.

I learned way, way back to NEVER catch or grab at poo poo that falls. I also instinctively jump backwards as far as I can.

Finger bagging stories: do you want to hear about the guys who...

tried to stop a sliding freezer door with his hand?

Was washing a meat slicer WHILE IT WAS RUNNING?

Decided a rack to carry an Urschel dicer knife set was FOR PUSSIES?
b
Wanted to help shredded cabbage SHRED FASTER?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

NosmoKing posted:

I have bagged up too many fingers in my day.

I learned way, way back to NEVER catch or grab at poo poo that falls. I also instinctively jump backwards as far as I can.

Finger bagging stories: do you want to hear about the guys who...

tried to stop a sliding freezer door with his hand?

Decided a rack to carry an Urschel dicer knife set was FOR PUSSIES?
b
Wanted to help shredded cabbage SHRED FASTER?

I think I speak for the whole thread when I say

:justpost:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
f) All of the above

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

NosmoKing posted:

We did this all the time in high school working in the grocery store deli. It's way faster than scrubbing. We were told to stop after a 14-year-old slashed himself open and needed some stitches. None of us were even 16 and we were all working the pressure fryers and carving up chickens and stuff. Seemed pretty normal for a small town at the time. OSHA would've had a fit though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No idea of quality, but there's a 1300-Watt Induction burner on woot for $40:
http://home.woot.com/offers/big-boss-1300-watt-induction-cooktop?utm_source=woot&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=wootapp

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So if I had a perfectly fine gas range, what would the reason be to buy one of these?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Because cooking with witchcraft is awesome.

I got one a while back so I'd have an extra burner when cooking big holiday meals. So far, I've forgotten about it every time I've cooked one.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

It also makes a great sideboard burner if you're the grilling type (and grill somewhere near an electrical outlet).

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Squashy Nipples posted:

not sure about the costco branding, but stretch tite is the only wrap I will use. it's 100x better than anything else I've used plastic wrap wise.

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Because cooking with witchcraft is awesome.

I got one a while back so I'd have an extra burner when cooking big holiday meals. So far, I've forgotten about it every time I've cooked one.

I got one a few years back and use it pretty often. The main use is taking it out on the porch, cranking it up as high as it will go, and searing proteins after they have been in the puddler for a day or two. It helps my house not look like a Cheech and Chong movie when I open a door or window.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Trip Report: Apps at Per Se.

"gently caress me."

That said, there sure were a lot of quotation marks on that menu. Ramp "aglinotti". Saffron-poached Halibut in a green garlic sauce with "something else, I forget". Roasted carrot salad was the only thing that didn't have quotes around it, and they were all goddamn fantastic. Impossibly wonderful service, even though we were just kicking it in the parlor. Having an after dinner drink looking out over Central Park was pretty rad, also.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Featured Creature posted:

I got one a few years back and use it pretty often. The main use is taking it out on the porch, cranking it up as high as it will go, and searing proteins after they have been in the puddler for a day or two. It helps my house not look like a Cheech and Chong movie when I open a door or window.

That seems like a great idea for it.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
The best part about making hard boiled eggs in a steamer basket? Cleaning up all the eggy bits from the tiny holes when one of your eggs explodes. Also filling up the kitchen with egg steam, which actually smelled pretty good.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Should've done them in the oven.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, neither Giant, nor Food Lion, nor Wegmans has whole head-on shrimp, which I need for Gumbo. Honestly the first two are no surprise, but I seriously thought Wegmans would have them. Lady at the seafood counter said they sometimes get them wild caught later in the summer...

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Vegetable Melange posted:

Trip Report: Apps at Per Se.

"gently caress me."

That said, there sure were a lot of quotation marks on that menu. Ramp "aglinotti". Saffron-poached Halibut in a green garlic sauce with "something else, I forget". Roasted carrot salad was the only thing that didn't have quotes around it, and they were all goddamn fantastic. Impossibly wonderful service, even though we were just kicking it in the parlor. Having an after dinner drink looking out over Central Park was pretty rad, also.

Very nice. My boyfriend was a chef there once upon a time and I'm mad I didn't know him then.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I'm looking up stuff to do with burdock. CAN WE PLEASE HAVE A FOOD TO EAT WITHOUT ALL THE loving WOO WOO poo poo!? Just once I'd like to try a food without some smarmy gently caress carrying on about how it cures cancer, AIDS, thalidamide babies, and will do your taxes for you. It's a food. If it's not going to kill me, chances are that it'll have /something/ in there that my body needs. I get it. Now shut up and cook the loving thing. Cripes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

I'm looking up stuff to do with burdock. CAN WE PLEASE HAVE A FOOD TO EAT WITHOUT ALL THE loving WOO WOO poo poo!? Just once I'd like to try a food without some smarmy gently caress carrying on about how it cures cancer, AIDS, thalidamide babies, and will do your taxes for you. It's a food. If it's not going to kill me, chances are that it'll have /something/ in there that my body needs. I get it. Now shut up and cook the loving thing. Cripes.

Agreed. Among other things, I've always wished they would sell Silk soy milk in a plain brown package.

Related, I'm getting sick and tired of these unqualified internet diet gurus deciding what is and isn't "safe" to eat. It's all such bullshit.