Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I didn't know mini cattledogs were a thing till recently. I took my regular sized cattledog to the vet and they took him back to do some bloodworm, and then the vet tech came back in with a mini cattledog and told me they'd stuck him in a shrink ray :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I didn't know mini cattledogs were a thing till recently. I took my regular sized cattledog to the vet and they took him back to do some bloodworm, and then the vet tech came back in with a mini cattledog and told me they'd stuck him in a shrink ray :3:

A delivery guy for the Chinese place I order from has two minis. They're soooo cute :3

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Ahhhh! Our vet tech has a full sized (55 pound) cattledog that she scared the poo poo out of us with stories from right after we got her and she had a couple of health problems. Once he ate a bathroom door (and broke a bunch of teeth) because it closed behind him while he was home alone and he freaked out. The doggie daycare had to raise the doorknobs on the doors because he's able to open the lever-style door-handles. He will drag chairs to climb up on so he can counter-surf. Sometimes he stares her down like a herder. Luckily ours is very submissive to us and also the perfect size for our place, but those stories freaked me out for a little while. I think I read that the males tend to be a little more aggressive and stubborn.

Today after lunch I'm taking her to the dog beach again because there is nothing I love more in life than a tired cattledog.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

Thank you for this! Now I have another search term, creeping tan, I didn't know about! Do you have any recommended reading material on dog coat genetics, or dog genetics in general?

http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/

That's my favorite lay site about dog coat genetics.

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

It's laundry day; I'm down to my priest outfit.
Wirehair mutts

(mine)

(from the dog park)
Don't know if this guy was even a mix, but I didn't recognize his breed(edit2: saw them again and confirmed he is an "I dunno.")

^ That dog's smaller doppelgänger

said she was maybe a yorki mix

boxer and poodle mix; she says she shaves his coat, apparently it grows out long

edit: oh yeah and this guy, wolfhound mix. He was really tall.

loldance fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 18, 2014

NoonOwl
Aug 6, 2004
If I don't think does that mean I don't exist?
I'll follow that with my own wire hair mutt. She's a street rescue, so I really have no idea what she is. I usually just tell people that she's a Schnauzer mix. I love her to bits, though.

She's about 35 pounds and smart but with a definite terrier personality. She has a double coat that gets pretty long if we don't make our trip to the groomer's every two months. She also has really long eyelashes, which I'm told is a Schnauzer thing. Any ideas?

Edit:
After reading through that Dog Genetics site, I'm wondering if she doesn't have the greying gene. Her color has changed really dramatically since she was a puppy.

When we first found her:

A few months later with her schnauzer buddy:

NoonOwl fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 12, 2014

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

She did change a lot. Neat to see the change. And she is really leggy!

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

loldance posted:

Wirehair mutts

said she was maybe a yorki mix

Looks kind of like the smushy-faced version of my hard-to-photograph terrier mutt.

Terrier/pom? Sheltie? I give up.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Mini cattledogs are a thing the way labradoodles are a thing. Their existence bugs the crap out of real cattledog people and ever breeder page for them is full of deformed nightmare dogs and obvious chihuahua mixes. Tiny traditional cattledogs are definitely a thing, keep in mind they've only been part of of the AKC since 1980. The ones I grew up with were maybe 25 pounds, tops. 30-40 lbs is normal if the dog isn't fat. 50+ and you're looking at show dogs. Apparently I'm one of those people who goes on about how conformation has ruined my breed now, sorry.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
A "labradoodle" came into my clinic for shots today. He was over a year old and 17 pounds even. Some breeder totally sold this lady a poodle under a stupider name.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

OMG this thread got good with all these scruffdawgs. I approve. :3:

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

Yep, a mutt

Some kids in the hotel lobby asked me what kind of dog I had, and I said "some terrier mix or something" and they responded with "so A Dog, huh?" They're absolutely right.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
You guys I have the derpiest cattledog ever at my house right now.

I'm fostering him for a rescue and they keep asking for nice pictures of him and I'm like "No seriously, that's what he looks like in real life. He always makes that face."

Pretty sure he's an Australian cattledog/Australian shepherd mix.

He's also good with big dogs, little dogs, rowdy dogs, cats, kids, turtles, and weird homeless people. He's been listed less than a week and we already have four applications to adopt him. He's a gem...unless you're a photographer...

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
That face is amazing :3:

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Out of curiosity, what rescue and is it based in LA? Also agree, his face owns. More pics.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Scary Ned posted:

He has the greatest crazyeyes.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

pizzadog posted:

Out of curiosity, what rescue and is it based in LA? Also agree, his face owns. More pics.

4Life, based in Orange County. I didn't see him on their website, but he's on their Facebook.

A serious portrait.

On. My. God.

I think this is his official rescue picture at the moment.

Just chilling in the fish department...

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Scary Ned posted:

A serious portrait.

I mostly lurk this thread and sob quietly because I can't have a dog right now but I've got to unlurk for a moment because this dog has the best face. Look at him. Aw. :3:

You should make an Instagram account for your dog. I'd follow it.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Scary Ned posted:

4Life, based in Orange County. I didn't see him on their website, but he's on their Facebook.

A serious portrait.

That collar... :ranbowdash:

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

That collar... :ranbowdash:

Holy poo poo that dog is a brony. Also I'm not super creepy I swear but I also live in OC and I knew it was local cuz of the rocks on the beach. :awesome:

Here's the dog I'm fostering at the moment
She's 45 lbs but pretty underweight, can see all her spine and ribs. Ginnie never stops wagging her tail, in fact it bleeds all over unless I wrap it with vetwrap. I'm guessing she is either american bulldog or boxer/pit mix?

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 20, 2014

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:

Scary Ned posted:

Obligatory.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

oh my god

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Noice.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

That is amazing.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

loldance posted:

Wirehair mutts

My wire haired mutt.

Salacious R. Crumb
Feb 15, 2009
This dawg is all wrong, and the best ever. :3: She's four years old, and was spayed just before we adopted her a month ago. She has the biggest nips I've seen on anything.

Part sharpei?

Part basset?

Part puppy?

Part Scrappy Doo?

Part pig?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS BUT I NEED IT

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That head/body ratio is quite something. Super cute

Succ-U-Bus
Mar 6, 2009
So- fellow owners of mutts! I'm going to be adopting a Bichon Frise/Yorkie mix soon, visiting him every week (he's 9 days old) so that he's used to my smell by the time we get him. Mum is full Bichon, and dad is half Bichon/Yorkie. Anyone have any experience of the temperament of these dogs? Met both parents (rescue dogs) and they're both really good parents and totally relaxed, so I'm hoping that's a good sign!

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I would be concerned as to why these people are breeding rescue mutts. I don't know if they're a lovely backyard breeder or maybe they're just people who had two unfixed dogs and a gross lack of supervision/management.

I'm personally not fond of yorkies or bichons. I've found they're notoriously difficult to house-train. They're pretty much just living decor. But I'm pretty biased in that I really like larger, functional dogs with drive and a purpose. To each their own. So it really depends what you're looking for in a dog.

Succ-U-Bus
Mar 6, 2009
She didn't breed them- when they were rescued they found out the female was pregnant. Dad has now had "the snip". I'm only 5ft tall so never been a big dog fan. My previous dog was a Scottie, who was a brilliant dog but she died in her sleep aged 16. I was just after a smaller breed that enjoys walks, can get on with the occasional visiting child and can fit on the sofa to be honest!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Whatevs, you're getting a rescue and that's what counts. Both the breeds can be p temperamental, but I've never seen an rear end in a top hat dog without an idiotic or incompetent owner, so best of luck to you.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

I've never lived with either breed but I do like Bichons. I don't really have a problem with "companion dog" being a breed's function, just socialize the poo poo out of it so it doesn't turn into a snappy defensive little dog. Yorkies are hit and miss, they can be awesome scrappy little dogs with a lot of personality, or just trembly little things that aren't much fun. Since yours is more Bichon than Yorkie I imagine you'll want to read more about their temperament, needs, grooming, etc.

I know there's a writeup on preparing a puppy for the groomer's somewhere on these forums but I don't remember what thread it's posted in.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah (properly) socialize it to children and everything and you should be fine. The critical socialization period is roughly 4 to 16 weeks of age. Definitely look into the training megathread for stuff on house-training. Be prepared to spend money on grooming a fair bit (but you may have done that with your Scottie anyway), and def do what Fat Dio recommended on looking up the grooming prep. Getting your puppy comfortable with grooming early can save you and the dog from a lot of stress later. We currently live with my boyfriend's mom's bichon and she's okay, but very poorly house-trained and a bit bitchy with some dogs. I'm sure with better training/socialization she could have been a cool little dog. I'm fine with "companion dog" being a dog's purpose too, they're just really not for me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Holy gently caress the bit about grooming is so true. Our mutt thankfully doesn't need baths unless she gets muddy, but nail trimming is so much more of a pain than it has to be.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Yeah, for a dog that will need a full groom every 2 months for its whole life it makes a huge difference. Probably offtopic for this thread so come talk in the grooming thread :D

Here's a filthy mudblood:

By chance, my boyfriend ran into Ticco's original owner who had him from puppy-2 years old. She said he's a Pom/Chi, I think she may have been lied to.

SqueakovaPeep
May 6, 2007

I am the night.

This, my friends, is Gozer.

He is a rescue we got as a puppy. He is around 17 weeks old.

He likes howling when alone, eating our other dogs butt fluff tufts, and opening doors.

This is a picture of his mother from the shelter.

So, what y'all think he's got up in him? He's got tongue spots and looks a little GSD, and the mom and his sisters look like weird border collie aussieish things we were thinking. But honestly who knows past brown dog.

It's you. You know. Tell me.

SqueakovaPeep fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 30, 2014

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Maybe a heeler cross? A cross of a cross of a heeler cross?

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Looks like 1/4 aussie 1/4 heeler/cattledog 1/2 german shepherd blood. Dad definitely shepherd, he was the only one in the litter that looked more like the dad not like the mom??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SqueakovaPeep
May 6, 2007

I am the night.
Yep, there were only 2 of 6 that didn't look like the mom. The other non-mommer was a Black and Tan colored lil guy who was the runt. Further suggesting (to me) some gsd shenanigans.

If he has heeler/ cattle dog in him, it would explain the sense of slight dread and fear we feel when he comes barreling into the room.

SqueakovaPeep fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 30, 2014