Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Eh, gonna be a pedantic rear end for a second but it sounds like you're coming off that Japanese television is a the sole source of Japanese culture.

I know this isn't your intention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Phone posted:

Eh, gonna be a pedantic rear end for a second but it sounds like you're coming off that Japanese television is a the sole source of Japanese culture.

I know this isn't your intention.

Oh man if you want to talk about Japanese TV that stuff is for real monsters.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I get the feeling that 90% of Japanese television involves a panel of celebrities laughing at other people's horrible misfortunes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Al! posted:

Don't be talkin' smack about kaiju culture. :krakken:

I'm only about half way into this week's Thumbs, why can't you have Danielle on every week? Would it be... Problematic?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I really like Danielle but I like Nick better. Bring back the Breckon.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

For the longest time, I couldn't tell the difference between Nick and Sean when listening to the podcast. Then, for some reason, this video fixed my brain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59AbuV498IA
Except, now I picture Nick and Sean as bobbing portraits when they talk, but this is a pretty minor issue.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

TetsuoTW posted:

Fair point. I thought about including My Little Pony, Tool, and Homestuck too. Although I don't know, Homestuck might deserve it, I've never read it.

I continue to have no idea what Homestuck is. Your post made me go to its site, and apparently it's a bunch of melodramatic .gifs of people powering up or something? I dunno.

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
:dukedog:
Buglord

bobservo posted:

I continue to have no idea what Homestuck is. Your post made me go to its site, and apparently it's a bunch of melodramatic .gifs of people powering up or something? I dunno.

I used to read Homestuck and I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not sure if you went to the wrong website, I blocked out parts of it or if you read farther than I did and the comic got worse.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

bobservo posted:

Once upon a time, a guy made some short CYOA webcomics where people would post actions in the comments and he'd incorporate them into the story. One of them took off a bit so he dragged it out for months and months until it got really boring. Then he started a new one that was even longer and more boring and insanely convoluted, and that's Homestuck.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
It's a webcomic that uses obfuscation to make it seem complex and uses that illusion of complexity to make it seem

In reality it does some interesting things with the format of webcomics and web-based media, and is also an interesting unintended experiment where a medium is defined by the fanbase rather than the fanbase being the gateway to it. On the other hand, the comic/author/fanbase (as they are all one) are stuck inside it's own rear end that they have collectively made irony and sincerity into the same thing, separated it, redefined the terms, and then stuck them back together causing some weird chain reaction that caused homestuck to become a half-sentient monster that mankind will not be able to understand for years.

However, it's predecessor, Problem Sleuth, is actually kinda good.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

This picture is pretty good.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

bobservo posted:

I thought Homestuck was that stupid cartoon/comic with the dude in the luchador mask and boxing gloves who talked about trogdor the burninator all the time.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I thought Homestuck was that stupid cartoon/comic with the dude in the luchador mask and boxing gloves who talked about trogdor the burninator all the time.

You take that back.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Al! posted:

You take that back.

Right this instant. :colbert:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Al! posted:

:ssh: Those are just dudes in rubber suits

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh my goodness, I would play the gently caress out of Wake Up Sheeple.

And so would most of D&D.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Phone posted:

Oh my goodness, I would play the gently caress out of Wake Up Sheeple.

And so would most of D&D.

You're in luck, it releases in 2 days.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

coyo7e posted:

No, that's the other thing I don't get the appeal of.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

doctorfrog posted:

No, that's the other thing I don't get the appeal of.
They were cartoons for children.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The only reason I knew it existed at all was because there was a gross neckbeard guy who rented a place next door to me back in like 2004, and he had a Trogdor sticker on his car. I assumed it was a band name for a long time until I googled it at random one day.

Ironically the next place I moved had that dude's twin, who rocked a KoL bumper sticker on his car. That was how I googled and found out what it was, too.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

coyo7e posted:

The only reason I knew it existed at all was because there was a gross neckbeard guy who rented a place next door to me back in like 2004, and he had a Trogdor sticker on his car. I assumed it was a band name for a long time until I googled it at random one day.

Ironically the next place I moved had that dude's twin, who rocked a KoL bumper sticker on his car. That was how I googled and found out what it was, too.

Two cool bros :cool:

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Homestuck is the Dark Souls of webcomics, some people just don't get it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
They're kind of polar opposites, since the whole reason people like the story in Dark Souls is that it barely exists and Homestuck is probably the longest thing ever written

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Homestuck is the Dark Souls of webcomics, some people just don't get it.

You have to give it 10 hours, is poorly documented unless if you have outside help, and everyone won't shut up about it?

:iiaca:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

The idea behind Homestuck's plot is neat, but it's pretty much impossible to read. The segmented nature intrinsic to the medium is made so much worse by how little happens in a given page. It's a problem with the user-input portion of the comic, which was probably cool when it happened but super unfrienfly for people coming in after the fact.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I fail to see why Homestuck gets more props than Axe Cop.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

coyo7e posted:

I fail to see why Homestuck gets more props than Axe Cop.
Axe Cop is good and isn't a pandering handjob for shutins.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Nah that's not really a valid argument for your case but okay dude, don't put any effort into a response then.

Touhou story-wise is about girls in frilly dresses and silly hats being assholes to each other and then having a huge party at the end of every game with all the protagonists and antagonists. That's really all there is to it.

I actually wanted to say some stuff after hearing about it on IT but then never got around to it.

Touhou is one of the most sex-agnostic properties out there. Because essentially all the characters are girls, there's never even a suggestion of sex anywhere, even far beyond "male hero rescues princess" or "these two characters might ~like~ each other" which is common in fiction aimed at kids. No one's outfits are at all suggestive, unless you count frilly dresses as suggestive, and the creator obviously doesn't give a poo poo about ever having characters form any kind of relationship besides "friends." Imagine classic Mega Man if Roll didn't exist.

I personally think Zun has one of the best senses for aesthetic of any game developer out there. Especially in terms of music. If you look at the OCRemix torrent tracker, there are about 56 GB of torrents of OCRemix stuff. The Touhou Lossy Music Collection, last updated July 2013, is over 280 GB. This is entirely remixes of Touhou music, sold by creators at comic conventions. The corresponding lossless collection is 1.26 TiB. It's mindblowing how big the "music remixes" scene is for this single series of games, but I don't think of it as a mistake or anything. The guy has a really good sense for video game music.

As for overall aesthetic, this is an example of something I really appreciate about Zun as a game developer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A6w_cqPGow

The stage itself is a tribute to classic arcade shooters (I think it's actually a direct tribute to Galaga). The music was made to synchronize with elements of the stage, various parts of the music lining up with the waves of enemies. And it cuts off into a long period of silence (with a heartbeat in the background) as the waves of enemies end and you get to the boss. Also from my fairly limited experience with Cave games (the other major developer of bullet hell games that is the major player in arcades/shmup communities), Zun makes much better use of color and puts more effort into making his patterns look nice/have an interesting theme. I've seen a lot of arguments about visual coherency in shmups, but I feel like Zun is more about making games that look and feel aesthetically pleasing while Cave is more about making games for insane score runners.

Sorry for sperging out there.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Hey dudes, I just put together an episode of Retronauts about speedruns and I think it's a good'un: http://www.retronauts.com/?p=776

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

bobservo posted:

Hey dudes, I just put together an episode of Retronauts about speedruns and I think it's a good'un: http://www.retronauts.com/?p=776

I'm listening to this now and wanted to ask, do you have any specific speedruns that you enjoy? I love speedruns both tool'd and tool-less, and was really excited when I saw the topic, but about 30 seconds into the episode I realized you really, really do need visual examples to talk about speedrunning (which you can't do with a podcast). There's a Mega Man 1 TAS that is absolutely insane to me, the guy somehow makes an enemy spawn those end-the-level tokens that the bosses drop :psyduck: Here it is, and I was wrong because he makes the level just spontaneously end at one point :psypop:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 28, 2014

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I'm real big into watching Speedruns and I tend towards the AGDQ stuff just because it's commentated. I'm sure you already know to look there but I'm speaking up more to mention that I haven't found any other solid sources and I'd love to hear some.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If there is one speed run you ever watch, make it the Super Metroid 4 way race from this January's AGDQ. I'll post the link when I get home, but it is 45 minutes of loving insanity and beautiful curating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU0fEc2PeSI

Phone fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 28, 2014

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
The A Link to the Past race was also really good. Not as well commentated as the metroid one, but it managed to remain tight for its entire run, and could have gone either way the entire time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JhQwJk5lL0

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ultima66 posted:

Sorry for sperging out there.
It was at least thoughtful sperging, and that's what really matters.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Super Metroid and Mario 64 are my favourite game to watch speedruns of. Here is Siglemic playing Mario 64 at Summer Games Done Quick 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUg50_SPXNE

Speedrunning is really fun try out, you don't have to be the best in the world to learn some basic tricks and mess around with your own runs. The community is incredibly helpful and all the information you need is on the internet. For example, here is a guide for speed running Mario 64 with 16 stars: Esi’s 16 star route guide. It details strategies for beginners through to experts, so anyone can pick it up. Using this guide I picked it up quickly and I was able to beat it in under 25 minutes casually playing over a couple of weeks.

If a game with such rapid and precise inputs is intimidating, I also really enjoy casually speedrunning Castlevania 1. It is more about strategy and timing rather than crazy inputs, so it's good if you don't have the fastest hands in the world. Funkdoc is one of the best at running this game, he has played it at a lot of live events and is good at explaining the game as he plays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAQ2l_5OvjA

Summer Games Done Quick is coming up towards the end of June, I'm looking forward to seeing Super Mario 3D World being played! https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

weird bleep posted:

Speedrunning is really fun try out...

This is totally true. You play the game in an entirely new way. I've got my Dark Souls down to about 2 hours and the feelings of tension during a speedrun are totally different than the feelings of tension you get from just, you know, Dark Souls.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
My friend and I recently started a podcast about Kerbal Space program: http://kerbalpodcast.libsyn.com/

We're three episodes in and it's been pretty fun. We started it on the premise that one of us had played close to 500 hours of the game and the other guy didn't have it until a week before recording.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Honestly I've never understood speedruns as an audience thing. I always got the idea from the player perspective, but it seemed like a thing you'd have to be super into the game to really be able to appreciate.

After that AGDQ Super Metroid race and the talk on Retronauts about how they're really sort of exploring what the game is capable of and how it's put together and whatnot, I actually kind of get it now.

I still can't really get into Let's Plays, but maybe I just haven't found a really good one yet. Slowbeef and Diabeetus' Retsupurae channel on YouTube is pretty good though.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Woffle posted:

This is totally true. You play the game in an entirely new way. I've got my Dark Souls down to about 2 hours and the feelings of tension during a speedrun are totally different than the feelings of tension you get from just, you know, Dark Souls.

Every time I check out Dark Souls 2 speedruns a new crazy glitch has been found, someone just found a glitch that lets you walk on air if you roll and riposte at the same time. The new record is under 30 minutes! The game is a complete mess now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq1xz1-ywFM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I wonder if the guy who wrote in with how to pronounce Vlambeer on the latest Idle Thumbs podcast even realizes it's supposed to be a pun on flambé.

• Locked thread