Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr E posted:

I've made it up to FF7 while playing all the FFs. Should I bother getting Aeris' last Limit? I figure I can just use Enemy Skill and the materia cave to get the kills, but I don't know if it's worth getting it or if it's just an extra goal to have before the end of disk 1.

Unless you're a completionist there is absolutely no reason to get it. There are no enemies worth using it on before you lose the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mr E posted:

I've made it up to FF7 while playing all the FFs. Should I bother getting Aeris' last Limit? I figure I can just use Enemy Skill and the materia cave to get the kills, but I don't know if it's worth getting it or if it's just an extra goal to have before the end of disk 1.

There's no real point to it unless you want to be able to say 'why yes I did do this entirely arbitrary thing.'

And who doesn't? Go for it!

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I feel sorry for the guy who first played VII and didn't realize that Aeris would die, and grinded her last limit break.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Terper posted:

No reason to get offa this train we're on.

Two of my favorites are the two different themes for the Garlean bases, the first one is just Xenoblade as all hell (that part around 2:50 in, oh man :h:), and the second one that plays in the final story dungeon is just great.

Yeah, the Castrum track is great. Sounds kind of Mass Effect-y?

It's really funny, if you had told me last year that FF14 was going to be the best least worst game in the series in almost a decade, I would have laughed at you and said that FF13 wasn't that bad.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Motto posted:

I think I'll put my faith in the exclusive information procured by the good folks at EpicStream dot com.

edit:

Honestly March 2015 seems early to me. Maybe they'll show something at E3 but I had the impression the game is barely progressing.

Also I have a PS3 account of FF14 I haven't redeemed yet (It was on sale for really cheap) and I'm waiting to get a PS4 so I can remote play to the Vita for the free month. Vita MMOS!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Honestly March 2015 seems early to me. Maybe they'll show something at E3 but I had the impression the game is barely progressing.

Also I have a PS3 account of FF14 I haven't redeemed yet (It was on sale for really cheap) and I'm waiting to get a PS4 so I can remote play to the Vita for the free month. Vita MMOS!

The free upgrade offer elapses around December, so if you haven't redeemed it by then, you should probably do so.

You need to install the PS3 version to redeem it, but you don't need to patch it. After that you can go to the Mogstation and upgrade to PS4 without needing a PS4 at all.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

It's kosher. Heck, LPs regularly post links to game songs.

The last time I regularly posted in games there was a giant VGM sharing thread but that was like 2005 so idk :shrug:

Most composers don't really work for a company fulltime these days it seems like. Makes way more sense to freelance the work out to a guy rather than pay him a yearly salary when he's probably not working year round.

I also didn't know The Black Mages broke up and he made a new band, need to check that out if I can find a way to listen to it online.

Edit: Basically I'm asking for a way to listen to it online

Yeah, all the "big name" composers have since gone freelance and founded their own production studios. Mitsuda with Procyon, Uematsu with Dog Ear, Hamauzu with Monomusik, Sakuraba with Misty Inn, Sakimoto with Basiscape, Ito with ??? (I know he went freelance, but I can't recall if he formed his own studio).

Anyways I got a good-enough-for-me-OK from a mod so here is some vidja game music

Earthbound Papas - Octave Theory
Earthbound Papas - Dancing Dad

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

BloodWulfe posted:

The last time I regularly posted in games there was a giant VGM sharing thread but that was like 2005 so idk :shrug:

Yeah, all the "big name" composers have since gone freelance and founded their own production studios. Mitsuda with Procyon, Uematsu with Dog Ear, Hamauzu with Monomusik, Sakuraba with Misty Inn, Sakimoto with Basiscape, Ito with ??? (I know he went freelance, but I can't recall if he formed his own studio).

Anyways I got a good-enough-for-me-OK from a mod so here is some vidja game music

Awesome! Thanks for both of these.

These days usually when people discuss music of any kind on the internet they always link an accompanying Youtube just because it's nice to get instant feedback on if you'd like something or not. Music threads are basically just a giant wall of youtubes and none of them are usually officially sanctioned so I don't think anyone really cares about music rights anymore :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

These days usually when people discuss music of any kind on the internet they always link an accompanying Youtube just because it's nice to get instant feedback on if you'd like something or not.
The problem with Dancing Dad, of course, is that searching it on Youtube will get maybe one relevant hit and everything else will be "my dad dancing like a dumb rear end" :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

The problem with Dancing Dad, of course, is that searching it on Youtube will get maybe one relevant hit and everything else will be "my dad dancing like a dumb rear end" :v:

Yeah I could barely find any of it, it really didn't catch on like Black Mages did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BloodWulfe posted:

Seeing froM "Hyper Dimension Neptunia V" in there made me oddly depressed.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Just left midgar in 7. Anything important I need to know ?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Facepalm Ranger posted:

You're coming up to the first place you can recruit the first optional character relatively soon. (Well, relatively soon after the long-rear end flashback you're coming up on.) Once you leave Mythril Mines hang out in forests a bit and you'll probably find Yuffie. Don't save after fighting her, don't fall for her bullshit and she'll join.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Unless you're a completionist there is absolutely no reason to get it. There are no enemies worth using it on before you lose the character.

Demon Wall is annoying but for the grinding to get it hes a pushover at that point:colbert:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Talk to the chocobos in the ranch after Kalm and watch 'em dance for a goodie.

Also brace yourself for one of the longest background exposition scenes in gaming. It's actually pretty interesting but after you see it once it's pretty painful on subsequent playthroughs.

E:

Also IIRC one of the enemies just outside of Midgar teach you an Enemy Skill.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 26, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Kanfy posted:

Talk to the chocobos in the ranch after Kalm and watch 'em dance for a goodie.

Also brace yourself for one of the longest background exposition scenes in gaming. It's actually pretty interesting but after you see it once it's pretty painful on subsequent playthroughs.

Uh-huh, MGS4 says 'Hi'.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Flytrap posted:

Uh-huh, MGS4 says 'Hi'.

And I said "one of the longest". :colbert:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Yeah I could barely find any of it, it really didn't catch on like Black Mages did.

I guess there's a limit to how many times people are interested in hearing Uematsu throw some electric guitar on the same songs he made 20 years ago

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Attitude Indicator posted:

I guess there's a limit to how many times people are interested in hearing Uematsu throw some electric guitar on the same songs he made 20 years ago

Luckily FF only exists to milk old games at this point so the games themselves will just have remixes or old songs, like Gilgamesh in FF12 and FF14, rearrangements for the entire OST like all of Dissidia, or gently caress IT let's just make the songs themselves into a standalone game at this point

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't really think 'a character who has been established as a running gag since FF5' reappearing in 12 and 14 is a good example of rehashing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Endorph posted:

I don't really think 'a character who has been established as a running gag since FF5' reappearing in 12 and 14 is a good example of rehashing.

I actually liked it a lot but it says something about the modern games that they basically have to refer to the old games constantly

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I actually liked it a lot but it says something about the modern games that they basically have to refer to the old games constantly

He's been a running gag since FF6, unless you consider that a modern game I don't think it really supports what you're saying.

Hell, they've been remixing previous songs forever too so I don't really think you mentioned anything that comes across as rehashing yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gilgamesh has been referred to in poo poo already, though, even in the older games. You might as well say that modern FF games having a Cid is them rehashing poo poo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

YoshiP stated that he was going to make ARR have a lot more traditional iconic elements from the old Final Fantasy games to help people feel more immersed in the game or something. That's why you end up trotting around in Magitek Armour and why Crystal Tower is FF3 influenced and such.

The lines between fan service and rehashing tend to be sort of thin.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I wouldn't call any of that rehashing though. Rehashing implies a lack of effort. Somebody had to design the magitek armor and Crystal Tower and the Gilgamesh fight from the ground up. Rehashing is a million sloppy ports of FF4.

Terper posted:

The important thing is, ARR still manages to be its own thing while still having tons of references and being Final Fantasy as gently caress.

Also this.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The important thing is, ARR still manages to be its own thing while still having tons of references and being Final Fantasy as gently caress.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yeah like it took until the last boss of CT that I realized this entire dungeon is one giant FF3 JP homage. That takes a certain level of talent honestly.

Don Gato posted:

I feel sorry for the guy who first played VII and didn't realize that Aeris would die, and grinded her last limit break.

What's up

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rei_ posted:

Yeah like it took until the last boss of CT that I realized this entire dungeon is one giant FF3 JP homage. That takes a certain level of talent honestly.

Really? I realized it as soon as you took the fangs to destroy the statues. Maybe it's just because I love the game being referenced? :shobon:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

He's been a running gag since FF6, unless you consider that a modern game I don't think it really supports what you're saying.

Except he wasn't? He was only around as a boss and Esper in the remake.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
As someone who did this (got Aeris' final limit break) recently, it's really not that bad of a grind in the grand scheme of Final Fantasy grinds. Hell it's not even the worst grind in the game depending on how much you want to complete.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Except he wasn't? He was only around as a boss and Esper in the remake.

...Do you not understand what a running gag is? Maybe if I said he's been a reoccurring reference since FF6, would that help?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Oh wait, I understand now, he wasn't in the original FF6. I got you now, that does damage my point a little. What was the first game to bring him back then?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

forbidden lesbian posted:

Oh wait, I understand now, he wasn't in the original FF6. I got you now, that does damage my point a little. What was the first game to bring him back then?

FF8, I believe? I can't remember if he was in FF7 anywhere.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FF8, yeah. He was in FF9 too, though not in his usual form.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I don't remember him being in X or X-2 either, it does feel like it was more recently that they started consistently putting Gilgamesh in remakes and optional bossfights and the like.

But yeah one thing S-E's never stopped being decent at is keeping references to past games from becoming too obnoxious. You'll get your Cids or your Biggs/Wedges in the main story but the game won't nudge your shoulder and go 'hey here's something only us TRUE FF fans will understand wink wink'.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Endorph posted:

He was in XIII-2 as well (DLC).

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Kalenn Istarion posted:

He was in XIII-2 as well (DLC).

Notable in this version because he replaces his swords with machine guns.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Isn't it hinted in Dissidia 2 that he's basically the same guy through the entire series, he just stumbling through the Void or some weird poo poo like that?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TARDISman posted:

Isn't it hinted in Dissidia 2 that he's basically the same guy through the entire series, he just stumbling through the Void or some weird poo poo like that?
It's not 'hinted', it's outright stated. And it was outright stated in FF8, too - he literally says Bartz's name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Notable in this version because he replaces his swords with machine guns.

Well, he does at first but after a brief fight where he has barely 1/10th of his normal HP, he decides they're lame, ditches them, switches to his normal weapon set and turns into a real pain in the rear end.