Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
incorporeal
May 6, 2006

This is the first time I've ever been lied to. I don't know how to handle it. This is the worst thing that has ever happen to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

incorporeal posted:

This is the first time I've ever been lied to. I don't know how to handle it. This is the worst thing that has ever happen to me.

Does your city have a clock tower? Might want to start making plans.

Any update on if there is an earlier release in Australia yet?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Bobtista posted:

It's true. There's no tie to the morality system for the hacks, it's just whether you personally think it's ok to steal that persons $200 and can live with the guilt of loving over some digital cancer patient or whatever the game assigns them. The entire premise of the game is flawed in the same way. You got caught robbing people and as a consequence of your actions your niece died, so you go out and continue robbing people despite the fact your sister and nephew could still be targetted whilst on your quest for revenge because.

I am curious - can you actively just decide not to hack certain people (Good or needy people)? Does there need to be a tie to the morality system when you, yourself have the agency to decide these things?

I doubt this was the intention - but it could be a subtle attempt at getting the player to think for themselves and target intelligently instead of just following the carrot.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

IchGestalt posted:

I am curious - can you actively just decide not to hack certain people (Good or needy people)? Does there need to be a tie to the morality system when you, yourself have the agency to decide these things?

I doubt this was the intention - but it could be a subtle attempt at getting the player to think for themselves and target intelligently instead of just following the carrot.

seems pretty clear that the one line of history plus the bank account value you get about the person is solely to make you consider as a hero vigilante whether this person deserves to have their account hacked or not

i personally only target the poorest of the poor, and only women.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Fag Boy Jim posted:

It seems like they blatantly lied in their preview footage. You would have to be mentally ill to purchase the game at this point.

I am mentally ill with autism and chronic fedora syndrome.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Fat Marilyn Monroe posted:

I am mentally ill with autism and chronic fedora syndrome.

gamers.txt

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

RE: Halo 2, Aliens and the others - OK so it happens. No big deal, last gen graphics are just personally not my thing so I'll pass this one.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Image dump incoming. All settings on Ultra, except the very last which is on low. The game just about ekes out 30 fps on Ultra on my rig (core i5 3570k + 7850 2gb) but it gets worse at night in the rain, etc etc.

This is the extent of the radio. It's terrible.

"Electronica"

Wouldn't be an Ubisoft game without a skill tree.

Your sweet trenchcoat flaps in the breeze when riding a motorcycle

ULTRA DRAW DISTANCE

All settings on low

The world map is large. This is about a quarter of it.

edit: uncompressed images: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6jjjuzyzv77dowg/worch%20dog.rar

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 26, 2014

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

IchGestalt posted:

Sure, if you don't want the money you don't have to hack them. It has absolutely no impact on the game except for how much cash you have (which doesn't seem to be very important because there are other ways to get money) and your own conscience being sad with you abusing imaginary people.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just had the most bizarre experience. I think I got invaded but it was some kid (not guessing, I heard some high pitched screaching over voice chat) from who the gently caress knows where because we had a ten minute firefight. We killed about forty pedestrians and twenty cars but couldn't hurt each other before the game finally told me I had been invaded, at which point I was on a train headed west and the invader "left".

Also while trailing a potential criminal from a fair distance he pulled out a pistol and killed a dude on a bench before I could get anywhere near him. :smith:

Orv fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 26, 2014

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Bobtista posted:

Sure, if you don't want the money you don't have to hack them. It has absolutely no impact on the game except for how much cash you have (which doesn't seem to be very important because there are other ways to get money) and your own conscience being sad with you abusing imaginary people.

there are also the people you hack for the crime intervention side missions though which can be fun and does have more of an impact on the game

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Bobtista posted:

Yeah I thought this would be the case.

The idea of giving the player agency to make the moral choice to not hurt innocent people falls down once you include the pavlovian conditioning we've seen in gaming to 'get the reward to get better stuff'. Although it is a nice idea in theory to let the player go "Hm, no I do not want to do this" but.. it falls down when there is little impact inside the virtual world.

Would've been cool to have some feedback.

Orv
May 4, 2011
:siren: So there is another way to get invaded if you don't go the "the more you invade the more you get invaded route". If you hack the bank account of a Blume associate (or anyone from that company) they will put a hacking bounty on you. So be aware. I think it's only good for one invasion, but I've racked up four potentials in confirming this.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Don Lapre posted:

A trailer sure, but e3 2012 was apparently a live demo.
You're telling me they let executives or project leaders or whatever actually demonstrate games on stage, live? I always thought they were just pretending and that some guy standing there fiddling with something that looks like a playstation controller was just part of the show. I mean what if the guy makes a mistake or runs into a graphics glitch during the live demonstration. I'm not sure that I would want to run that risk considering that these are 100+ million dollar projects... I'd be willing to bet that these demonstrations are pre-rendered recordings.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The demos are usually live. They're certainly rehearsed on stage a lot, of course, to iron out the kinks. It's very rare for it to be a completely staged pre-rendered demo, and it's usually just more work than just getting the game ready in time. A lot of these demos have technical glitches, however small, as well.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Something that people seem to forget that is Ubisoft had no idea what the PS4/Xbox One were going to be at that point. You're talking E3 2012, a full year before the consoles would even be announced.

I'd rather them show what they are doing rather than hold back because a few people will loudly bitch about any changes. I feel sorry for devs sometimes.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

The demos are usually live. They're certainly rehearsed on stage a lot, of course, to iron out the kinks. It's very rare for it to be a completely staged pre-rendered demo, and it's usually just more work than just getting the game ready in time. A lot of these demos have technical glitches, however small, as well.

Still the best e3 demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwrp9hndH_U

behold the power of the cell processor

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I can confirm that you can unlock the game now on Steam by using a VPN to connect to Australia. Plenty of people, myself included, have unlocked games on Steam with a VPN without getting banned or hacked or all our games removed. I used FlyVPN free trial to do it. Before connecting shut down Steam and anything you don't want going over the VPN and make sure you pre-load before connecting to the VPN. Go http://www.flyvpn.com/freetrial for the free trial login and installer. Once you run FlyVPN login with the first set of credentials, the second one does not have Australia as an option for the free trial.

Once you're connected start up Steam, go to your library, and hit play on Watch_Dogs. Once it starts decrypting your game you can disconnect from the VPN and continue complaining about video games in this thread. The VPN will install itself as a network connection, so go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections (I'm on Win 8 but it should be similar for 7) and delete the FlyVPN connection once you're done.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 26, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Any update on if there is an earlier release in Australia yet?
It's out in Aus. Physical (As in EB Games and I believe some JB Hi-Fi's did a midnight launch) and Digital (It's unlocked on Steam and uPlay). It is the 27th for us already so it's nice to see they're actually giving it to us on the 27th and not US 27th.
GMG is UK right? Would that mean UK midnight for the codes or US time?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

-Dethstryk- posted:

Something that people seem to forget that is Ubisoft had no idea what the PS4/Xbox One were going to be at that point. You're talking E3 2012, a full year before the consoles would even be announced.

I'd rather them show what they are doing rather than hold back because a few people will loudly bitch about any changes. I feel sorry for devs sometimes.

Does the PC version look as good as the e3 demo?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Does the PC version look as good as the e3 demo?

when it's dark and raining, yeah pretty much

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
To be honest the only thing I see in the E3 2012 demo that isn't in the actual game is a couple really minor details and nakedly scripted stuff (There was a comparison video with the initial showing and the uploaded version that proved exactly what was scripted about it, too). I don't know if the mission is still in the game (and even if it is it's probably scripted a bit differently), but yeah everything Aiden does and the way the civilains react to stuff is basically the same or at least similar.

Stuff still blows in the wind, streets are still lively and there's lots of different civilian smalltalk and animations. At worst the daytime lighting is a little more flat in the release version (Which I suspect is a result of the outdoor textures being designed more around rainy conditions). Hell, civilians even have clothing physics like Aiden does.

The outcry is mostly caused by hyperactive imaginations and rose-tinted glasses IMO. It looked like a prettier GTA with an emphasis on being an rear end in a top hat and people reacting to you being an rear end in a top hat, and it's still exactly that. Hell, the biggest disappointment I have with it is that the demo seemed to have some nice Bokeh DOF effects that I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anymore.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Yaos posted:

I can confirm that you can unlock the game now on Steam by using a VPN to connect to Australia. Plenty of people, myself included, have unlocked games on Steam with a VPN without getting banned or hacked or all our games removed. I used FlyVPN free trial to do it. Before connecting shut down Steam and anything you don't want going over the VPN and make sure you pre-load before connecting to the VPN. Go http://www.flyvpn.com/freetrial for the free trial login and installer. Once you run FlyVPN login with the first set of credentials, the second one does not have Australia as an option for the free trial.

Once you're connected start up Steam, go to your library, and hit play on Watch_Dogs. Once it starts decrypting your game you can disconnect from the VPN and continue complaining about video games in this thread. The VPN will install itself as a network connection, so go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections (I'm on Win 8 but it should be similar for 7) and delete the FlyVPN connection once you're done.

I'd just like to echo that this works like a charm. Thanks a bunch!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
You guys can't just wait for 12 hours?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Suspicious Dish posted:

Why play later when you can play now?

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

dreffen posted:

Why sperg later when you can sperg now?

Corrected it for you :)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yaos posted:

Thanks for posting this. I'm sick and it's raining out so this is the perfect day to waste on video games.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I pre-ordered the boxed version on uPlay, will I get a code in the mail when it unlocks or do I have to wait till it arrives?

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Truly next gen gaming is here!

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 26, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Orv posted:

:siren: So there is another way to get invaded if you don't go the "the more you invade the more you get invaded route". If you hack the bank account of a Blume associate (or anyone from that company) they will put a hacking bounty on you. So be aware. I think it's only good for one invasion, but I've racked up four potentials in confirming this.

Killing off invaders is worth a LOT of XP, too, you can level up quite a bit this way!

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

I pre-ordered the boxed version on uPlay, will I get a code in the mail when it unlocks or do I have to wait till it arrives?

why would you buy disc based media in our year of our lord 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SplitSoul posted:

They come with your bad idea jeans.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
GMG's current 20 percent coupon works on Watch_Dogs. Has anybody bought the game on GMG and can tell me if they give out the key today already so I could preload?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Randler posted:

GMG's current 20 percent coupon works on Watch_Dogs. Has anybody bought the game on GMG and can tell me if they give out the key today already so I could preload?

Not had my keys from them yet. But then again, I'm in GMT+0. Maybe they'll send them out later on today?

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

IchGestalt posted:

Not had my keys from them yet. But then again, I'm in GMT+0. Maybe they'll send them out later on today?

Just remember GMG has a poo poo mass mailer so your key will probably appear on the site (Under https://www.greenmangaming.com/user/account/#games probably) considerably before you get your email.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
My main interest in this game is the hacking mechanics. Anyone get a ton of hours in on that comment on it? Is there any neat hacking combo type stuff you can figure out to solve missions or is it basically "press the button to play a trick haha you really got them by pressing that button" no strategy at all.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Spiky Ooze posted:

My main interest in this game is the hacking mechanics. Anyone get a ton of hours in on that comment on it? Is there any neat hacking combo type stuff you can figure out to solve missions or is it basically "press the button to play a trick haha you really got them by pressing that button" no strategy at all.

The latter, it's basically "hack (object) to distract/kill NPC" ad infinitum.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Spiky Ooze posted:

It's pretty limited in strategy but it's there. Overt things that eliminate dudes will immediately put them into look for you mode, whereas options that can't kill a dude will not.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Some of us work tomorrow, yet don't today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

How soon before a mod for PC version so it is always nighttime and always raining like a true hacking game should be?

• Locked thread