Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004
A little gnome hasn't hurt anybody

gary oldmans diary posted:

good citations this definitely proves your points against borrow and carry

Quit changing the goal posts. I showed you why the current curriculum is failing. I showed you that reform math didn't hurt people. Now you want me to show why particular algorithms are bad. No, we are going to improve it all. I even said we can teach borrow and carry, and I don't mind having plenty of algorithms.

You are saying we should go back to just teaching math like it is 1996.

So what's next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

I want to be clear here. You are actually arguing against Common Core?
i am arguing against a very narrow subset of common core from the second example in this thread and the policy of disregarding basic mathematical proficiency and in fact replacing teaching techniques that make that proficiency attainable in favor of calculators

Gulzin posted:

Quit changing the goal posts.
gee i guess prevent new subjects from coming up in conversation then if you think im moving goal posts
maybe you should reach the original goal post at least

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 26, 2014

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

shut the gently caress up already you retard

post a single link that supports ur stupid bullshit or get out

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004

babypolis posted:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

babypolis posted:

he hasnt you dolt
his arguments on the specific examples are backed by "these groups support common core"

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

i am arguing against a very narrow subset of common core from the second example in this thread and the policy of disregarding basic mathematical proficiency and in fact replacing teaching techniques that make that proficiency attainable in favor of calculators

I'm sure that you would have argued against principals that would have assisted students in using the Abacus, the Slide Rule, and now the calculator.

You are literally what is holding back this country as the rest of the world consistently advances in mathematics. You are also arguing in bad faith.

:frogout: you insufferable shitheel.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

Moridin920 posted:

See what I mean?

Can't get good teachers in hs let alone grade school because our system is set up in such a way such that nobody gives a poo poo about teachers. They don't get paid enough, they don't get trained enough, etc. Schools that don't perform well get less money the next year. It's nuts.

Next to systemic flaws like these changing up the math curriculum seems like tossing a mentos into a vat of hydrocloric acid. Not that we shouldn't do it but drat dude our education system is hosed.

Whoa dude chill out all I said was that low grade teachers should be teaching because they want to teach. I never said they shouldn't get paid more.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommonTerry posted:

Whoa dude chill out all I said was that low grade teachers should be teaching because they want to teach. I never said they shouldn't get paid more.

It also depends on where they teach. In Washington state, to teach even grade level, you need a bachelors, then you also need your credential, then you also need an endorsement specifically in elementary school education with field work. In addition, you have to pass a couple of state tests.

Its loving hard core.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

I'm sure that you would have argued against principals that would have assisted students in using the Abacus, the Slide Rule, and now the calculator.
while mastery of a tool enables frenetic speed while it is available he is advocating policies that are designed to require calculators for basic math

basic addition and subtraction

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

whatever happened to zoombinis?

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
im the basic mathematical proficiency. i can mean anything you want me to

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

while mastery of a tool enables frenetic speed while it is available he is advocating policies that are designed to require calculators for basic math

He is advocating policies that teach people to use mental math. What is being described is how I have done math since forever. I have always scored above my peers at math because they never bothered to do mental math.

Try again.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

He is advocating policies that teach people to use mental math. What is being described is how I have done math since forever. I have always scored above my peers at math because they never bothered to do mental math.

Try again.
i would invite you to the appealing idea of spending a year of grade school proving that was your technique for mental math on paper, long form
changing a curriculum is not as subtle as your favored internalized approach to math
we are giving these kids retard work that could be entirely mitigated by proper teaching of a simple concept

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

he hasnt you dolt
his arguments on the specific examples are backed by "these groups support common core"

yeah except for all the links he psoted about educators and math people saying this poo poo is good

as opposed to you who doesnt know gently caress about the subject except ur own personal experience which is completely meaningless

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

babypolis posted:

yeah except for all the links he psoted about educators and math people saying this poo poo is good
you should note the scope of whats being discussed now and then

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

i would invite you to the appealing idea of spending a year of grade school proving that was your technique for mental math on paper, long form
changing a curriculum is not as subtle as your favored internalized approach to math
we are giving these kids retard work that could be entirely mitigated by proper teaching of a simple concept

Children need to understand the concept so they can perform it rapidly later. They can learn these concepts rapidly at a young age. I don't think you are an educator, or this wouldn't be a question for you.

There is no reason for this thread to be this long with dozens of people arguing with just you.

Final word:

Common Core will happen, it is a superior way to perform math, which I know from personal experience, and our youth need it. If you are against it, its because you are an ignorant curmudgeon who has literally no experience in educating youth or developing educational tools.

Next time, argue a topic you are actually familiar with. People might believe you.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Children need to understand the concept so they can perform it rapidly later. They can learn these concepts rapidly at a young age. I don't think you are an educator, or this wouldn't be a question for you.

There is no reason for this thread to be this long with dozens of people arguing with just you.

Final word:

Common Core will happen, it is a superior way to perform math, which I know from personal experience, and our youth need it. If you are against it, its because you are an ignorant curmudgeon who has literally no experience in educating youth or developing educational tools.

Next time, argue a topic you are actually familiar with. People might believe you.

gently caress you gay oldman

gently caress you for making me agree with rhonyn

Slurin
Jul 17, 2008
I am a coward who makes grandiose claims and then runs away when asked for evidence. Please ignore everything I have to say.

Final word:

People who think common core math is good are faggots your welcome in advance

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

It also depends on where they teach. In Washington state, to teach even grade level, you need a bachelors, then you also need your credential, then you also need an endorsement specifically in elementary school education with field work. In addition, you have to pass a couple of state tests.

Its loving hard core.

yeah dude I know I was thinking about teaching there

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

why the gently caress can't you just give a lecture explaining the theory behind stuff and derive the algorithm for the class then have them memorize it?

this is how literally every math class i have ever taken works

apparently you need to make kids write a paragraph every time they multiply two numbers and leave them unable to loving add and subtract without a calculator in order for them to learn, for some reason. maybe i'm some sort of genius superman because i could add, subtract, multiply and divide arbitrary base 10 numbers by the time i left elementary school

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

why the gently caress can't you just give a lecture explaining the theory behind stuff and derive the algorithm for the class then have them memorize it?

this is how literally every math class i have ever taken works

apparently you need to make kids write a paragraph every time they multiply two numbers and leave them unable to loving add and subtract without a calculator, though, for some reason

because children are loving retarded

srsly any of you talking about explaining this poo poo to children ever interacted with 3rd graders?

second grade they are barely smart enough to understand crap like "underline the correct answer" for fucks fsake

im sure your college level classes are totally comparable to grade school tho

babypolis fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 26, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

babypolis posted:

because children are loving retarded

OK so how will making them write a paragraph every time they multiply two numbers and leaving them unable to add and subtract without a calculator make this better?

you'd think this would be a key point, but it's mysteriously never elaborated on.

i don't believe kids will learn the properties of the base 10 number system by osmosis or whatever you think is going to happen when you make them memorize your much more tedious, much less useful algorithm instead of the general purpose algorithm. if the kids are too stupid to learn from a class lecture why do you think they'll just sort of figure it out if forced to write down huge strings of numbers every time they calculate a tip?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

babypolis posted:

im sure your college level classes are totally comparable to grade school tho

that is how my grade school classes worked too? if the classroom is filled with hungry parentless hooligans they're not going to learn from an even more tedious, longer algorithm. like you keep saying how loving dumb they are but in that case why do you think this would work better?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Children need to understand the concept so they can perform it rapidly later.
you are literally not making a point for one methodology or the other here
you can teach the concept and have it understood either way
it is generally regarded as ideal that they understand the concept before starting the work

this version of addition and subtraction literally has all the same steps, but rearranged with a separation of going up the digit places and then back down
it teaches nothing that isnt inherently obvious from the classical process but adds numerous terminology and aspects of testing to what is something intrinsically basic and any kid can be taught to do regardless of their internal processes

Slurin
Jul 17, 2008
I am a coward who makes grandiose claims and then runs away when asked for evidence. Please ignore everything I have to say.

icantfindaname posted:

OK so how will making them write a paragraph every time they multiply two numbers and leaving them unable to add and subtract without a calculator make this better?

you'd think this would be a key point, but it's mysteriously never elaborated on.

i don't believe kids will learn the properties of the base 10 number system by osmosis or whatever you think is going to happen when you make them memorize your much more tedious, much less useful algorithm instead of the general purpose algorithm. if the kids are too stupid to learn from a class lecture why do you think they'll just sort of figure it out if forced to write down huge strings of numbers every time they calculate a tip?

The sole mathematician who was on the original common core standards review board said the math was poo poo and wouldn't put his name anywhere close to it. It simply set sets students back and people who think its good were never good at math in the first place. Its just I cant do it so im going to change it

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004

Slurin posted:

The sole mathematician who was on the original common core standards review board said the math was poo poo and wouldn't put his name anywhere close to it. It simply set sets students back and people who think its good were never good at math in the first place. Its just I cant do it so im going to change it

Cite me this. I have listed plenty of mathematicians (aside from me) who are for this.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Slurin posted:

The sole mathematician who was on the original common core standards review board said the math was poo poo and wouldn't put his name anywhere close to it.
wouldnt surprise me and wouldnt surprise me if much of this wasnt as politicized and committied as everything else in this country

i have no doubt that the whole of common core will largely be an improvement over what were currently working with in the states but i greatly doubt those who see what is obviously a concept effective as an initial teaching tool and seek to implement it as the workload itself
theres an incoherence between good idea and implementation there

Slurin
Jul 17, 2008

Gulzin posted:

Cite me this. I have listed plenty of mathematicians (aside from me) who are for this.

James milgram just look it up, not too hard
E: posting from phone name typo

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

i dunno, pedadogy and teaching is really hard and thats why i stopped. im not an educator and dont know how to solve these problems so i leave it to smarter ppl who know what they are doing

everyone here criticizing cc is doing so from their own personal experience of old math working for them instead of making any real arguments

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004

Slurin posted:

James milgram just look it up, not too hard
E: posting from phone name typo

Even he said that Common Core is better than 90% of state standards (and his concern was 7th grade plus math). I see that he is not fond of it, but he is even more appalled by the current standards (even the 1990's ones).

Cite on the quote of him saying they are better than 90% of state standards: ftp://math.stanford.edu/pub/papers/milgram/ZimbaMilgramStotskyFinal.pdf

Again, I did not ever say Common Core would fix everything. I only said it was a step in the right direction.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
So why haven't we just made kids watch khanacademy videos all day yet
Throw an erector set at them

xjohnson
Sep 7, 2006
Johnson?
Young Orc
when kids grow up they're gonna have a better understanding of math and take our jobs from us.

what can we do about this?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Final word:

Common Core will happen, it is a superior way to perform math,

Well, it appears to be an easier way to teach basic math concepts to people who have trouble comprehending the borrow and carry algorithms and how they relate to actual quantities and not just symbols on a page and really hate subtraction in all its forms.

So it is "superior" by the metric that more people may be able to follow it, with the caveat that it is slower and more tedious to do in your head, and less efficient on paper.

Slurin
Jul 17, 2008

Gulzin posted:

Even he said that Common Core is better than 90% of state standards (and his concern was 7th grade plus math). I see that he is not fond of it, but he is even more appalled by the current standards (even the 1990's ones).

Cite on the quote of him saying they are better than 90% of state standards: ftp://math.stanford.edu/pub/papers/milgram/ZimbaMilgramStotskyFinal.pdf

Again, I did not ever say Common Core would fix everything. I only said it was a step in the right direction.

No, wrong. The right direction is not towards a confusing less effective way of solving simple problems.

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004

Slurin posted:

No, wrong. The right direction is not towards a confusing less effective way of solving simple problems.

Gulzin posted:

Common Core isn't just some bullshit thing someone threw together. They even say on their website that it is based on recommendations from the National Center for Educational Statistics. Here is a Research Article that supports Common Core.

Tell me more.

Final word for me too, as we are just rehashing arguments from pages ago. This is going to happen, and I am happy about it. Just because you don't understand why these methods are better doesn't make them wrong.

Edit: I bolded that for you Slurin. Keep telling us how this is bad when research says otherwise.

Gulzin fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 26, 2014

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

thelightguy posted:

So it is "superior" by the metric that more people may be able to follow it, with the caveat that it is slower and more tedious to do in your head, and less efficient on paper.

efficiency and speed are meaningless nowadays, and its actually less tedious to do in your head

Slurin
Jul 17, 2008

Gulzin posted:

Tell me more.

Final word for me too, as we are just rehashing arguments from pages ago. This is going to happen, and I am happy about it. Just because you don't understand why these methods are better doesn't make them wrong.

What's wrong with you?

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
I remember when i was a kid in kindergarten hating myself because i could feel my mind automatically simplifying everything i was learning. maybe If I had this style taught to me I wouldn't still struggle thinking of the alphabet out of order. Hope this helps my bright nephew.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
"hmm it seems that children are lagging in math and science"
"well this here study says that test scores are correlated to household income"
"that is interesting, let's completely gently caress up the concept of arithmetic that has been taught for 3000 years because giving money to poors is communism"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Slurin posted:

What's wrong with you?
realization that he has pages of defense for something very specific that hes been backing with citation of things extremely broad and subsequent thread eject with parting grace "gently caress you my side wins anyway because its too late to change"

• Locked thread