Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
there seems to be a dependence on rice subsidies, so I'm guessing that they're not actually very free of Bangkok's reins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I can ride over and check it out, that's my hood. I'm not a foreign journalist ^__^

ronya posted:

there seems to be a dependence on rice subsidies, so I'm guessing that they're not actually very free of Bangkok's reins
The rice subsidies are something you should read up on just for general interest. They're a very recent and strange development of the last couple of years. Sort of an anomaly and also probably the single biggest case of Thaksin's people crossing the line from social development programs to disgusting handout schemes that are not at all what they look like. The reason they're so important politically right now is that they couldn't be paid, the way they were handled of course benefited the local machine politics red party bosses and the end result is that the poor got hosed by both sides. However, they're a new and passing phenomenon and aren't exactly indicative of the longer-term relationship between Bangkok and Isaan. They'll go away in their current form while many of the other social programs will stay.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Hah, do it if you want. Although apparently the police are berating the crowd for "having faring husbands" since they "take their side," heh.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
if the rice subsidies are withdrawn, does the network of local party bosses erode? Are the bosses merely loyal to whoever that doles out subsidies?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
They're one club in the bag. Basically, as in most agrarian economies (the US relationship is a bit more complex, with companies like ADM keeping local farmers under contract), there are farmers, then there are the mills and then there are the large companies that do import/export and domestic supply. Guess who gets the money first.

EDIT: Part of the reason Suthep is so vocal as the Yellow protest leader is that he wanted the same program for his Southern rubber plantations instead. And, of course, guess who would end up controlling the money in that deal. Not the dudes tapping the trees, that's for sure.

EDIT EDIT: The rail modernization deal was the other huge overreach economically by Yingluck's government. It was totally a good idea in concept, but good God the loving graft that must've been built in to hit 2-3 trillion Baht - and that was just the projected outlay. There's always another 20% that somehow becomes necessary before the project closes.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 26, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

MothraAttack posted:

Hah, do it if you want. Although apparently the police are berating the crowd for "having faring husbands" since they "take their side," heh.

How about goonettes banging Thai dudes? Or all those muey thai trainers?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Thailand's not particularly aggressively xenophobic on a day to day basis, but when you're roughly an ethnic monoculture it doesn't take much to flip the switch. Still, I can't imagine personally facing any weird retribution. Coming from a massively multicultural, multiethnic country and local area it's all kind of bizarre (though I'm used to it now).

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Is Thailand really that homogeneous? I figured they had heaps of minorities like all its neighboring countries do

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
They have minorities, sure, but when all your minorities are from neighboring Asian countries that you've traded borders with for centuries it's a lot like a Swede and a Norwegian arguing about how culturally distinct they are.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
yeah the waves of distinct migrants elsewhere are related to colonialism

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ReindeerF posted:

And they've been putting the infrastructure in place for years should they need to flip the switch:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/07/us-thailandelection-idUSTRE75614T20110607

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ae34b6ce-52d0-11e1-9f55-00144feabdc0.html#axzz32obG37IV

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/29/us-thailand-protest-redshirts-idUSBRE9AS0E520131129

EDIT: "Let's create a new Ireland!" seems so loving stupid on its face, but that's what this situation has led to. Currently the Yellow Shirts have been the real morons behind it all, but the Red side is hardly favorable in any positive sense.

I lol'd when I read "18 coups since 1930s." Well its 19 now. If the big man in military/yellow shirt don't want red shirt candidate to win election, why don't they rig elections like the other countries do instead of getting the Constitution Court/military to do the dirty work?

edit: how many times has ConCourt ended a Thai government?

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 26, 2014

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
rigging elections requires a shadow state

east asia has had plenty of dictatorships and authoritarian democracies, but I can't recall a result that didn't follow truthfully from the rules as announced. even Park, re-elected with 99.9+ of the vote, was openly handpicking electors. Pretending to have a free and fair election that somehow produces grossly skewed results is probably for societies with a less integral role for bureaucracy

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

ronya posted:

rigging elections requires a shadow state

east asia has had plenty of dictatorships and authoritarian democracies, but I can't recall a result that didn't follow truthfully from the rules as announced. even Park, re-elected with 99.9+ of the vote, was openly handpicking electors. Pretending to have a free and fair election that somehow produces grossly skewed results is probably for societies with a less integral role for bureaucracy

Malaysia's last election was coming close.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I believe the phrase of choice by observers is "free but not fair".

gerrymandering to the hilt and lots of misc obstacles to media access, but the actual results themselves are decently credible. The accusations of mass electoral fraud via immgirants are about as credible as they are when invoked in the West

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Obviously you are not as skilled as America yet at encouraging self-deportation!

Thai elections are hilariously corrupt on all sides. Anytime there's an election and you're in the office you can hear the open discussion about who is going home to vote for how much money (as voting is tied to property registration, typically through the parents until mid-30s for people). This is with white collar university graduates as well as the typical targets of these charges, the working class, it's all over the map until you hit upper- middle class.

The openness with which it's discussed is staggering for someone from, say, America, frankly. That and protest payola discussion, which does tend to be more working class and is equally entertaining. I recall the maid at one office bitching that she wouldn't be going to the protests anymore because they had dropped the pay from 1,000 to 500 or something around there. Just slip it in the styrofoam box beneath the ga pow!

EDIT: I've often argued that the protest money makes a lot of sense, really, as poor people can't afford to just quit life for months on end to protest their government. It's still an influence, and a corrupting one at that, but it's understandable. The election tea money, on the other hand, people should frankly be ashamed of taking in exchange for their votes. Still, it's a feudal society at the core and that only becomes more true the further you get from the international schools and hives of the new rich. By the time you're at the village level it's completely transparent patronage networks, quite often, from what I can discern.

EDIT EDIT: Ashamed is strong, that's just wrong, but there's some emotion that should bubble up in a country that's basically been on the brink of civil war specifically on the topic of self-rule for about 8 years.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 27, 2014

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

ronya posted:

I believe the phrase of choice by observers is "free but not fair".

gerrymandering to the hilt and lots of misc obstacles to media access, but the actual results themselves are decently credible. The accusations of mass electoral fraud via immgirants are about as credible as they are when invoked in the West

I wasn't really referencing the claims of immigrants being bussed into to vote for BN/UMNO. It's pretty clearly corrupt though; anyone currently working in the civil service is pretty much forced to vote for the current government, People in small kampungs being paid (an incredibly small amount but it's still there) to vote against their own best intersts as well as some of the shenanigans that went on in some of the polling stations and with the ballot papers. The opposition is quite shrill and has a tendency to latch on to some really stupid poo poo but the free elections in malaysia are dodgy as gently caress and there's a reason bersih rallys happens so often even if they tend to be focused on some of the wrong reasons.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
there's a lot hiding in the phrase "pretty much forced"

to my knowledge there's a massive amount of propaganda and quasi-religious superstition that... somewhere.... the government has a List of People Who Vote Wrong, but no regular practice of actually conditioning rewards on voting the right way. there is a nominal commitment to the ideal of a secret ballot as civic ritual

the main way this is important is that it allows a flexible transition to liberalization two, three decades down the road. One of the more traumatic transitions that Western liberal democracy went through was delegitimizing the public ballot

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

ReindeerF posted:

Obviously you are not as skilled as America yet at encouraging self-deportation!

Thai elections are hilariously corrupt on all sides. Anytime there's an election and you're in the office you can hear the open discussion about who is going home to vote for how much money (as voting is tied to property registration, typically through the parents until mid-30s for people). This is with white collar university graduates as well as the typical targets of these charges, the working class, it's all over the map until you hit upper- middle class.

The openness with which it's discussed is staggering for someone from, say, America, frankly. That and protest payola discussion, which does tend to be more working class and is equally entertaining. I recall the maid at one office bitching that she wouldn't be going to the protests anymore because they had dropped the pay from 1,000 to 500 or something around there. Just slip it in the styrofoam box beneath the ga pow!

EDIT: I've often argued that the protest money makes a lot of sense, really, as poor people can't afford to just quit life for months on end to protest their government. It's still an influence, and a corrupting one at that, but it's understandable. The election tea money, on the other hand, people should frankly be ashamed of taking in exchange for their votes. Still, it's a feudal society at the core and that only becomes more true the further you get from the international schools and hives of the new rich. By the time you're at the village level it's completely transparent patronage networks, quite often, from what I can discern.

EDIT EDIT: Ashamed is strong, that's just wrong, but there's some emotion that should bubble up in a country that's basically been on the brink of civil war specifically on the topic of self-rule for about 8 years.

that's why I asked above the dependence on party bosses, above. the contention that local rural networks are highly dependent on handouts is also my impression, but it suggests that civil war is not actually likely. Uprising would end the handouts

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

ronya posted:

there's a lot hiding in the phrase "pretty much forced"

to my knowledge there's a massive amount of propaganda and quasi-religious superstition that... somewhere.... the government has a List of People Who Vote Wrong, but no regular practice of actually conditioning rewards on voting the right way. there is a nominal commitment to the ideal of a secret ballot as civic ritual

the main way this is important is that it allows a flexible transition to liberalization two, three decades down the road. One of the more traumatic transitions that Western liberal democracy went through was delegitimizing the public ballot

As far as I'm aware if you are in the civil service you don't get a choice in how to vote your ballots are done through your job, which you will lose if you don't vote for the current government. This is hearsay though and I can undersand the propaganda, secret government lists and superstitious poo poo being closer to reality.

Civil service is massive in this country but I still think the biggest contribution is with the rural population being bribed to vote for the current government every year. The opposition promises made to rural people have nothing to back them up and at the end of the day that 100 RM from some shitbag in BN who lives two villages away, means a lot more than an empty promise from some DAP/PKR guy you've only met once begging for a vote. It's complicated and calling it fraud is over simplifying it but at the end of the day it's still bribery.

It's kinda like the opposite of what I see in Thailand where the rich guy who figured out it's the rural poor you need to get on your side to carry the country was already in charge.

lemonadesweetheart fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 27, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

ronya posted:

that's why I asked above the dependence on party bosses, above. the contention that local rural networks are highly dependent on handouts is also my impression, but it suggests that civil war is not actually likely. Uprising would end the handouts
I understood your question, but I was trying to clarify it. It might not, and that's the problem. The rice subsidy was put in place by the red-aligned government as part of its campaign planks, which included a free tablet for every child, big first-time buyer discounts on cars and homes, the train modernization and several benefits. Typically, when there's a coup, the coup government tries to continue or pay off these programs (often reformed) as a gesture of goodwill and that's what's happening now.

However, Thaksin and his political machine have been the direct source of all of the election and protest payouts, that's non-governmental, and that group of people is insanely wealthy and nowhere near the end of their resources - plus they get a shitload more if they can capture control of resources. So, the thinking goes that if there were some kind of actual split that resembled a civil war or insurrection, it would involve the same group as a government in exile and probable attempts at territorial secession in order to gather resources. It's a longshot still, like I said, but it gets closer every time these people and their votes are shat upon by a military coup and all of that activity is being bankrolled by wealthy people who keep a shitload of their wealth offshore. It's also why Chiang Mai is packed full of military right now - it's Thaksin's hometown and sort of the base of the upper echelon red support (the grassroots is largely Isaan, which is Northeast).

So, is it likely to happen? No. Could it work for a while? Yeah. Could it really work if the One Big Thing happens? More likely, yes, as any country needs some unifying mythology to work. They can definitely fund it out of pocket for quite some time, though. Just look at Ratchaprasong back in 2010. Huge expenditure to fund that for months and months, including logistics, stages, AV, international telecommunications, food, water, sanitation, payments to those involved, payments to the organizers who act as the faces, payments to the injured and the families of the dead, payment for weapons & ammo, payments for hit men, you name it. It's very expensive to fund something like that and it didn't even make a dent. Imagine if the same people could basically do this but also capture a non-zero chunk of the ag exports, funneled through Cambodia for international sale. I doubt this will happen, but it's actually being talked about for the first time these last few years and that talk has intensified in this latest round of protests.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
it is bribery, and in much the same fashion as the PAP announcing that opposition districts will get lift upgrading and block-to-carpark covered walkways later than PAP-held districts, but it's still the case that the voters did in fact vote for BN in a secret-ish ballot that emulates the rituals, if not the spirit, of public democratic participation. When the villages are richer - when it becomes harder to bribe them with just tea money - it will be at least possible for opposition candidates to peacefully make headway, rather than having to overturn the armed gangs of incumbents a la Central America or central/western Africa. This stuff matters

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

ReindeerF posted:

I understood your question, but I was trying to clarify it. It might not, and that's the problem. The rice subsidy was put in place by the red-aligned government as part of its campaign planks, which included a free tablet for every child, big first-time buyer discounts on cars and homes, the train modernization and several benefits. Typically, when there's a coup, the coup government tries to continue or pay off these programs (often reformed) as a gesture of goodwill and that's what's happening now.

However, Thaksin and his political machine have been the direct source of all of the election and protest payouts, that's non-governmental, and that group of people is insanely wealthy and nowhere near the end of their resources - plus they get a shitload more if they can capture control of resources. So, the thinking goes that if there were some kind of actual split that resembled a civil war or insurrection, it would involve the same group as a government in exile and probable attempts at territorial secession in order to gather resources. It's a longshot still, like I said, but it gets closer every time these people and their votes are shat upon by a military coup and all of that activity is being bankrolled by wealthy people who keep a shitload of their wealth offshore. It's also why Chiang Mai is packed full of military right now - it's Thaksin's hometown and sort of the base of the upper echelon red support (the grassroots is largely Isaan, which is Northeast).

So, is it likely to happen? No. Could it work for a while? Yeah. Could it really work if the One Big Thing happens? More likely, yes, as any country needs some unifying mythology to work. They can definitely fund it out of pocket for quite some time, though. Just look at Ratchaprasong back in 2010. Huge expenditure to fund that for months and months, including logistics, stages, AV, international telecommunications, food, water, sanitation, payments to those involved, payments to the organizers who act as the faces, payments to the injured and the families of the dead, payment for weapons & ammo, payments for hit men, you name it. It's very expensive to fund something like that and it didn't even make a dent. Imagine if the same people could basically do this but also capture a non-zero chunk of the ag exports, funneled through Cambodia for international sale. I doubt this will happen, but it's actually being talked about for the first time these last few years and that talk has intensified in this latest round of protests.

ehhhh it is very different to persuade aspirational students to organize political activity if you provide their food money, the Communists recognized that long ago, it's not actually as expensive as it seems because you only need a charismatic core and you get a vast labour pool of young adults for cheap. But those treating it like a dating & social club vanish easily when the government brandishes actual threats to an upwardly mobile lifestyle, the anti-communists also recognized this long ago, it's why the first move of everyone from Suharto to Mahathir was to simply condition scholarships and civil service entry for students on non-participation in politics. This dance has very familiar steps. Urban aspirational young adults are straightforwardly not reliable as militants - war isn't glorious, pretending to be a warrior is.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Oops. You were replying to him above, not me, but without a QUOTE I couldn't tell. Earlier comment retracted.

ronya posted:

ehhhh it is very different to persuade aspirational students to organize political activity if you provide their food money, the Communists recognized that long ago, it's not actually as expensive as it seems because you only need a charismatic core and you get a vast labour pool of young adults for cheap. But those treating it like a dating & social club vanish easily when the government brandishes actual threats to an upwardly mobile lifestyle, the anti-communists also recognized this long ago, it's why the first move of everyone from Suharto to Mahathir was to simply condition scholarships and civil service entry for students on non-participation in politics. This dance has very familiar steps. Urban aspirational young adults are straightforwardly not reliable as militants - war isn't glorious, pretending to be a warrior is.
The Red Shirt movement does have a few leftover communists, but not a shitload of students. The grassroots are the poor and working class who haven't a lot of options or wealth and who can thank Thaksin's regime for just about everything they've gotten in the last 15-20 years. No one's saying it will be war or secession or anything as of yet - though a shadow government is openly talked of now - but Red Villages are not some soft-headed student plot with LF types sitting around debating what to put in the manifesto, that's for the wealthy offshore refugees like Ji Ungpakorn. The last round of serious red protests they had, at any given time, between 20,000 - 100,000 people from all over the country logistically based in central Bangkok for a period of (IIRC) about six months, building fortresses, fighting the police and so on. They proved no match for a military assault of course, but they didn't shrink and they weren't cowards and that was still civil disobedience. At the same time, it was the first time we saw these paramilitary wings of the protests emerge and they carried out targeted assassinations of military personnel and political figures with pretty cracker jack timing. It's been four years now that they've been building red villages in the countryside, organizing, blasting propaganda and building their regional support networks.

You know, the people in the South come from a somewhat different situation and aren't at all analogous, but their insurrection makes just as little sense on its face - yet it goes on, still.

I suspect this time we will see toe-dipping in the waters of fracturing from the state, but no full fracture.

\/\/\/ Good! I was being a dick, heh.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 27, 2014

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I didn't see what you posted before you ninja'd it away, so :v:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
We actually have a Thai goon, but he never posts. I wish he would because I'm probably off-base on a number of things and he surely knows 1000x what I do.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

ReindeerF posted:

The Red Shirt movement does have a few leftover communists, but not a shitload of students. The grassroots are the poor and working class who haven't a lot of options or wealth and who can thank Thaksin's regime for just about everything they've gotten in the last 15-20 years. No one's saying it will be war or secession or anything as of yet - though a shadow government is openly talked of now - but Red Villages are not some soft-headed student plot with LF types sitting around debating what to put in the manifesto, that's for the wealthy offshore refugees like Ji Ungpakorn. The last round of serious red protests they had, at any given time, between 20,000 - 100,000 people from all over the country logistically based in central Bangkok for a period of (IIRC) about six months, building fortresses, fighting the police and so on. They proved no match for a military assault of course, but they didn't shrink and they weren't cowards and that was still civil disobedience. At the same time, it was the first time we saw these paramilitary wings of the protests emerge and they carried out targeted assassinations of military personnel and political figures with pretty cracker jack timing. It's been four years now that they've been building red villages in the countryside, organizing, blasting propaganda and building their regional support networks.

okay that's a little more alarming. I hadn't heard about assassinations. Implies that the money flow is a lot greater, too. Is everything being paid out of diverted subsidies here?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Isn't there supposed to be a lot of red sympathy among the lower ranks of the military?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

ronya posted:

okay that's a little more alarming. I hadn't heard about assassinations. Implies that the money flow is a lot greater, too. Is everything being paid out of diverted subsidies here?
The support money comes from private coffers when they're out of power as far as I know. Thaksin was believed to have about $5 billion (US) overseas when he was tossed out. Some other amount has been held by the Thai government as part of his prosecution in absentia for fraud. The global financial collapse surely hit him and he's whittled it down, but he never stopped doing business so I'm guessing he can fund this insurgency on interest alone - but he also has a big pack of high profile wealthy people on his side. They don't have bottomless pockets, but they're insanely wealthy. Thailand is like Brunei wealthy and part of the goal of seizing power is for someone to get control of things like the CPB that makes the Thai monarchy the wealthiest in the world. The amount of money in Thailand is staggering given the country's size and economic stutter-stepping.

Of course that means that the ruling side is infinitely more wealthy at the moment, but they're also much more fractious currently.

EDIT: Brunei wealthy meant to reflect odd and disproportionate nature of wealth, heh.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 27, 2014

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
now perhaps it is just me but ST seems to be editorializing in favour of the blogger.

bizarre!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Following the coup formula:

http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1401363586&typecate=06&section=

quote:

Coupmakers Repackage Former Govt's Economic Policies

BANGKOK — The military junta is now touting three new economic measures, all of which were lifted clean from the playbook of the government it overthrew one week ago.
In its bid to shore up support from the public, the National Council of Peace and Order (NCPO) announced that its central priority is to ensure the "well-being of citizens.”

After seizing control of the country, the NCPO quickly began distributing billions of baht to the more than 800,000 farmers that are still owed money for participating in the former government’s rice-pledging scheme.

The NCPO ordered banks to provide the funding for the rice payments, which military-controlled media is portraying as the NCPO’s ability to solve a problem that the former government spent months trying to tackle without success.

In reality, Ms. Yingluck's government tried laboriously to convince banks to lend the money needed to pay farmers, but such efforts were blocked by the anti-government protesters that threatened to withdraw their money from any bank that provided a loan. Anti-government protesters, who argued that the money had to come from selling rice on the market, also staged rallies and blockades at the banks' headquarters.

In addition to the rice payments, the NCPO has promised to conduct a massive flood prevention project along the Chao Praya River, which spans many provinces, including Bangkok, Ayutthaya, Ang Thong, and Chainat.

The project is a part of the water management project drafted under the Yingluck administration in a response to the disastrous flood that submerged parts of central Thailand and Bangkok in October 2011.

According to a report by Manager ASTV, the flood defense project now being pursued by the military has already been "40-50%" completed by the former government.

The army's latest effort to repackage economic policies from the Yingluck administration concerns the 2.2 trillion baht infrastructure mega-project that was struck down by the Constitutional Court in March.

The project calls for the construction of a high-speed rail link and new roads, harbours, and flood-defence projects in important industrial areas.

"I insist that we will go ahead with investment in all aspects of basic infrastructure, in the land, water, and air," Air Chief Marshal Prachin Chanthong, deputy director of the NCPO, told the press yesterday. "It will increase safety and convenience in travel for the citizens."

The Constitutional Court prevented the Yingluck administration from going forward with the infrastructure project by striking down the bill that would approve the necessary loans, citing irregularities and possible corruption in the bill.

A prominent judge of the Constitutional Court also expressed his skepticism toward the project during a court hearing, claiming that Thailand should focus on upgrading dirt-roads in the country before engaging in the construction of high-speed railway.
This stuff does calm things down a bit, but fewer people are fooled every coup. The anti-government protesters who stopped the rice scheme payments, like any rabid partisans (e.g. Republicans with Benghazi), would've gone after anything anywhere, but they weren't wrong to demand that the government be accountable for its financially disastrous scheme to use price controls on an international ag commodity. Same with the infrastructure bill, which definitely was a good idea in broad concept, but needed an overhaul.

With all the current rancor over the yellow side, which is deserved, it can be easy to forget all the horseshit with Chalerm's many ridiculous escapades and the various Thaksin amnesty bills and so on. The government that was tossed out was hilariously corrupt by any measure, but they're being replaced by a corrupt junta and they deserved to be thrown out at the ballot box. If the powers behind the coup spent half as much time and money campaigning as they do losing elections, whining and then overthrowing legitimate governments they could win, but it's entirely a psychological/sociological issue. They simply cannot conceive of having to lower themselves before the peasants they see themselves as controlling and all their political ineptitude flows from that basic issue.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 29, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Oops, actually good foreign journalism on the topic:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/30/opinion/thailands-army-tears-up-the-script.html?hpw&rref=opinion&_r=0

quote:

Thailand’s Army Tears Up the Script

There is a script for Thai coups: a day or two of shock and awe, seizure of television stations, token tanks on the streets — and then swift international reassurance, a plausible interim prime minister, an appointed national assembly, a committee to draft a new constitution and promises to hold elections within a year.

The 2006 coup followed the script almost perfectly, but still ended in farce: The influence of the ousted prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, was far from removed; indeed, pro-Thaksin parties won the first post-coup election, and the one after that.

Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha said at a news conference Monday that the military would create a “genuine democracy” but gave no time frame for doing so.

The leaders of the May 22 coup are not sticking to the 1991 or 2006 scripts. For one thing, their seizure of power was prefaced, two days beforehand, by a declaration of martial law and demands that the warring political factions attend negotiations hosted by the army — accompanied by assurances that this was not a coup. When those talks failed to reach agreement, the army’s commander in chief, Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha, told shocked politicians that he was seizing power and arresting them. Whether this sequence of events reflected a cunning plan or a fit of pique on his part remains unclear.

No interim constitution has yet been proposed — though Thailand has drawers full of such documents from earlier coups, ready to be recycled. When royal endorsement of the army’s intervention was finally granted, four days later, it took the unusual form of a military-style ceremony. There was no visit to the palace, and the customary pictures of the king and queen were nowhere to be seen.

General Prayuth has appointed himself interim prime minister and shows no sign of handing over power to a more neutral figure. Asked by reporters on Monday about the timeline for future elections, he abruptly quit the stage without responding. His staff later summoned the reporters to be reprimanded for asking “inappropriate” questions.

The mass summonses issued by the National Council for Peace and Order (as the junta now calls itself in English; the words “and order” are absent in the softer Thai version) asking more than 300 people — including politicians from the former government, protest leaders, critical academics, journalists and former political prisoners already released or royally pardoned — to turn themselves over to the military are an alarming move. The brief arbitrary detention of the wife, son and daughter of a current lèse-majesté defendant was especially troubling. University presidents have been told to bring dissident lecturers and protesting students into line. The junta has announced that those charged with certain political offenses will henceforth be dealt with by military courts.

Such attempts to create a climate of fear have no place, given Thailand’s long democratic tradition. The harsh media clampdown, including the blocking of international TV news channels, and the ban on criticizing the junta are missteps in a country where smartphones are increasingly ubiquitous and only fantasists would believe they can control access to information. All these moves suggest that the Thai military remains wedded to an outdated anti-Communist mind-set, believing that those who oppose the army are a small minority of subversives.

The junta’s pledge to overhaul Thailand’s political system sounds ominously like a call for “reform before election,” a slogan for the past few months of the anti-government protesters from the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (P.D.R.C.). This suggests that the military’s idea of a “genuine democracy” involves the creation of an unelected assembly and a reduction of the role of elected politicians.

Such a rollback of the democratic order might be good news for the royalist elite and their middle-class supporters, primarily in Bangkok and the upper south of the country, but will alarm voters in the rest of Thailand, most of whom have voted consistently for pro-Thaksin parties in every election since 2001. The elite has responded by staging two military coups against the Shinawatra clan, not to mention numerous legal challenges and backdoor maneuvers, including the judicial ouster of Thaksin’s sister, Yingluck Shinawatra, from the premiership earlier this month.

If the army continues to parrot the talking points of the P.D.R.C. demonstrators who engineered the political vacuum into which the military has stepped, it will cross a dangerous line. After the army shot protesters in 1992, a penitent high command amended its longstanding motto “For the Nation, Religions, King,” adding the words “and People.” But Thailand’s people are now terribly polarized, and bridge-building is urgently needed. For every Bangkokian cheering the coup, there are at least two Northeasterners looking on in horror.

Siding with the people means listening to all sides. To preserve what remains of the army’s legitimacy, General Prayuth needs to call a halt to highhanded measures to curb dissent, and to create broad, inclusive platforms for a reasoned debate about Thailand’s future direction. Otherwise, the regime’s positive goals of ensuring national peace are bound to fall flat.

So far, the junta seems to have drawn the wrong lessons from the 2006 coup, which failed because it was an ill-conceived attempt to change Thailand’s political landscape: The goal was beyond the capacity of the coup makers. Democracy can always be improved, but in a society with Thailand’s traditions of openness and popular participation, it cannot be reversed.

The 2006 coup did not fail because the generals were not tough enough. Acting aggressively is always a poor way to win people over, not least in Thailand; it will not work now.

How to proceed? Thailand needs a timetable for a return to political normalcy. These arbitrary detentions and the ghastly sequence of draconian junta pronouncements — which would be laughable if they were not so serious — must end. Discussions about political reform should not be monopolized by conservatives, and any major changes proposed should be ratified by a popular referendum.

Unless he reverses his present course, General Prayuth might as well order military bases around the country to remove those recently added words “and People” from their gateposts. That would be a dark moment in the history of the Royal Thai Army, and a darker one still in the history of Thailand.

Duncan McCargo is a professor of political science at the University of Leeds and a senior research affiliate at Columbia University.
Duncan McCargo is a bit of a controversial figure here (google), but I'm just posting a NY Times article. This sentence did make me chuckle:

"Such attempts to create a climate of fear have no place, given Thailand’s long democratic tradition."

But the overall point he's making is exactly what I've been thinking. This time it's much more aggressive and hamfisted.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Amsterdam and crew are predicting a nominally civilian government to be appointed 2-3 months down the road, with Prayuth and hardline royalists still calling the shots behind the scenes and approving all positions. Not implausible, I suppose. There's a real since at their end that they'll try to thoroughly purge Thaksin's influence once and for all.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, feels like a bit of a last effort. It will completely fail, of course. Absent a total crackdown, Burma 8888 style, you can't put this genie back in the bottle and that level of organization is asking a bit much from Thailand even if they did have the chutzpah to massacre heaps of their own citizens.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So who appointed Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha? The King?

Is there an international NPO that give metacritic score on a country's democracy? What's Thailand's demo-o-meter score?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

whatever7 posted:

So who appointed Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha? The King?

If the letter is to be believed, then he approved him. It's not necessarily that he appointed him, per se, but at least granted him sanction. I think this is almost solely of Prayuth and his ally Eastern Tigers' doing, though, for reasons that might be inferred but not written from my home in Thailand (which answers your second question -- it mostly hasn't been democratic).

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, feels like a bit of a last effort. It will completely fail, of course. Absent a total crackdown, Burma 8888 style, you can't put this genie back in the bottle and that level of organization is asking a bit much from Thailand even if they did have the chutzpah to massacre heaps of their own citizens.

Yeah, that was the impression I got while reading that. Civilian government is brought back in and after that what's gonna prevent Thaksin's party from being popularly elected again?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014...r&dlvrit=992637

quote:

The junta has denied planning the coup in advance. Lt. Gen. Chatchalerm Chalermsukh, the deputy army chief of staff, told foreign media on Thursday that "planning for a coup is treason which is why we did not plan it".

"What we did was a risk, because if we don’t carry out our plan properly then we might go to jail or be put to death, Chatchalerm said. "There was no planning in advance."
Thai officials give the best word salad statements. I could write a bingo card for how bad they are at it, though I give them credit for not having the phrase, "But anyway do not worry yourself because we are in charge." tacked on as per usual.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014...r&dlvrit=992637
Thai officials give the best word salad statements. I could write a bingo card for how bad they are at it, though I give them credit for not having the phrase, "But anyway do not worry yourself because we are in charge." tacked on as per usual.

I thought it was completely clear. They winged it. Met that morning and just seemed to pull a coup. These things happen.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If they didn't plan it, then how were they carrying out their plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

If they didn't plan it, then how were they carrying out their plan?

The plan was to wing it. Very American really, setting forth an end goal and then concluding the planning session. Everything else should fall into place, right?

• Locked thread