Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

bringmyfishback posted:

I looked at the first entry on that site and immediately because so loving pissed because

1. Why would you put food coloring in pizza crust?!

and

2. THAT shitbird has a Kitchenaid mixer and I don't.

I have one too, very harndy tho i mostly use it for making mashed potatos and butter. I should look into getting some of the attachments for it. Its not that expensive either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Upshot is you can buy a Kitchenaid eventually but he'll never not be a shitbird.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cimber posted:

I should look into getting some of the attachments for it. Its not that expensive either.

Kitchenaids go up in wattage and price hand in hand. Some of the attachments are hella expensive too, like the one trick pony pasta attachments (of which there are about 5).

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

Kitchenaids go up in wattage and price hand in hand. Some of the attachments are hella expensive too, like the one trick pony pasta attachments (of which there are about 5).

I rescued a top of the line one that's probably over 30 years old from my grandma's house when we where moving her. It also came with an entire cabinet of attachments including the meat grinder and a pasta maker.

All I have ever done with it is make a batch of brownies from a box.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ColHannibal posted:

I rescued a top of the line one that's probably over 30 years old from my grandma's house when we where moving her. It also came with an entire cabinet of attachments including the meat grinder and a pasta maker.

All I have ever done with it is make a batch of brownies from a box.

I've done the same, the only things I've made with the one I borrowed personally are failed rye bread recipes and some fairly decent baguettes.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Party Plane Jones posted:

I've done the same, the only things I've made with the one I borrowed personally are failed rye bread recipes and some fairly decent baguettes.

It seems like a great tool that I use far too infrequently. I really should break it out more.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

slidebite posted:

To contribute to the thread, how about a drink disaster?

When I was a kid my folks were hosting some sort of cocktail party and everyone was having a great time mixing drinks. I asked my mom if I could too and she said OK as long as I left the "adult" bottles alone.

Milk and apple juice do not mix very well. :barf:

This reminds me of mixing 'drinks' in middle school with my brother. We made drinks called "Michael J Fox." These would be various combinations of different soda and flavor additives. Usually just a few different sodas mixed with a splash of flavor syrup or some kind of extract from the spice cabinet. Generally terrible, but fun.

Then one day we found the peppermint extract. We knew that you only ever used a little of the stuff, and if a capful was used in desserts and whatnot that a tablespoon or two would really punch up our Michael J Foxes.

They were so peppermint-y and unpalatable we probably laughed for ten minutes. Then we went and gave them to our parents as a nice cool refreshing beverage (it was a hot day and they were working outside). I think we were grounded for a month and forbidden to go into the spice cabinet again.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Not only is that recipe horrid, that side is amazingly bad. Everything is just a horrible recipe. He has a jambalaya recipe features Hillshire Farms sausage and a bay leaf as the only seasonings. Not even garlic :psyduck:

his chili is also depressing.

The first mistake in that recipe is "Chicago-style deep dish" and it just cascades from there.

NyoEi
Sep 6, 2008
I managed to set fire to my kitchen at 2am after deciding that I wanted to eat some mashed potatoes. I put some potatoes on to boil and then promptly forgot them until the smoke alarm went off about four hours later. My bleary eyed husband had to get out of bed to shut off the alarm and then to extinguish the smoking mess in the kitchen. I am not allowed near a cooker unsupervised any more:(

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

NyoEi posted:

I managed to set fire to my kitchen at 2am after deciding that I wanted to eat some mashed potatoes. I put some potatoes on to boil and then promptly forgot them until the smoke alarm went off about four hours later. My bleary eyed husband had to get out of bed to shut off the alarm and then to extinguish the smoking mess in the kitchen. I am not allowed near a cooker unsupervised any more:(

I would say I've done something similar but it would be a lie because potatoes are god's own food and I could never waste them.

I have had to go outside in the freezing cold for 30+ mins before when I messed up stove-popping popcorn and gassed my entire house with burnt oil and popcorn smoke.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I once melted a plastic spatula into a skillet filled with leftover ravioli. Fell asleep on the chair right next to the stove. Threw the whole mess in the trash, then went to bed still hungry, still drunk, and super disappointed.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I once made spaghetti with some friends once, drained it into a colander, and then put the plastic colander back onto the pot, and promptly forgot about it. Drinking was involved, you see.

After about fifteen minutes, I remember my pasta and look at it. The heat from the pasta and the pot has melted the colander into a sticky red mess, and it is impossible to separate. Welp.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I pulled an allnighter working on a final project, and at 5:40, I put a frozen pizza in the oven. I sat in my chair and continued working, and I was suddenly awoken at 6:30 when my parents got up for work. All that was left in the oven was a giant black hockey puck.....

Alternatively, my sister tried making mac and cheese and cooked the noodles so long that all of the water boiled off and the massively inflated noodles caught fire and burned into the pan

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
I was in a rush trying to multitask by cooking something in a cast iron at the same time I was baking something else in a pyrex baking dish. They both finished at the same time so I took the cast iron off the electric stovetop, searched around for my oven mitts, got the baking dish out...and set it down right on the burner that had just been heating the cast iron skillet. Apparently I'd forgotten I moved it and figured the open burner was a cold one. Cue me realizing this a minute or two later, and I grab the dish with my mitts, all excited that I managed to save it before something terrible happened. I sit it down on the counter, and then I hear a little pop. Uh oh. The baking dish just explodes, and I get to spend like 20 minutes hunting down shards of pyrex in the kitchen and living room. And that's how I learned about thermal shock, or something.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Full Fathoms Five posted:

I was in a rush trying to multitask by cooking something in a cast iron at the same time I was baking something else in a pyrex baking dish. They both finished at the same time so I took the cast iron off the electric stovetop, searched around for my oven mitts, got the baking dish out...and set it down right on the burner that had just been heating the cast iron skillet. Apparently I'd forgotten I moved it and figured the open burner was a cold one. Cue me realizing this a minute or two later, and I grab the dish with my mitts, all excited that I managed to save it before something terrible happened. I sit it down on the counter, and then I hear a little pop. Uh oh. The baking dish just explodes, and I get to spend like 20 minutes hunting down shards of pyrex in the kitchen and living room. And that's how I learned about thermal shock, or something.

My dad and I had a pyrex dish explode when we cooked lasagna and set it out on the counter afterwards. There was no water or cold/warm, just a normal countertop. We had just done home-made lasagna so we dug the pyrex out and ate it anyways, cheers. Occasionally I would feel a crunch and realize I had some glass in my mouth.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Not as extreme as some of these but today I tried making some rice to pour my soup over (being sick sucks) and went by the package directions---which call for a cup of rice and a quart of water. That seemed like a lot but what do I know? So I filled a saucepan, dumped in the rice, covered it, let it do its thing for the five minutes---and then went to stir and fluff it. Predictably, the rice was submerged at the bottom of five inches of water. Drained out it tasted okay, but in the meantime I'd used a dishtowel to cover my bowl of soup while I microwaved it and somehow the broth had wicked up into the towel, leaving me with very little broth and a strangely-slick, chicken-scented towel.

The rice and soup were both delicious, though.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
You were a fool to not take comfort in the chickentowel.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I worshipped the chickentowel for the heaven-sent gift that it was, and then I washed the chickentowel.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

What kind of rice packet asks for a quart of water per cup of rice?

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Not only is that recipe horrid, that side is amazingly bad. Everything is just a horrible recipe. He has a jambalaya recipe features Hillshire Farms sausage and a bay leaf as the only seasonings. Not even garlic :psyduck:

his chili is also depressing.

I realize this is from a month ago, but http://damngoodfood.blogspot.com/2005/12/american-food-for-german-company.html

Stew recipe: Browned meat, chopped vegetables, and then stew the whole loving thing in V8.

Holy poo poo.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

pandaK posted:

What kind of rice packet asks for a quart of water per cup of rice?

Not a packet; it's from a box (and came from Walmart, if that tells you anything.) And it was supposed to make two servings. I may have used the wrong size measuring cup; I have no idea.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

lousy hat posted:

I realize this is from a month ago, but http://damngoodfood.blogspot.com/2005/12/american-food-for-german-company.html

Stew recipe: Browned meat, chopped vegetables, and then stew the whole loving thing in V8.

Holy poo poo.

Are we sure that he's not doing a How To Basic?
http://youtu.be/upxw2eiPQwU

franco
Jan 3, 2003

lousy hat posted:

Holy poo poo.

Not to defend that recipe, because it looks pretty lousy, but when I first got a slow cooker I figured a fairly spartan beef stew would be a good first thing to use its abilities. A friend linked me this recipe which ALSO uses the pre-browned meat, veg and tomato juice and I was hugely skeptical (especially about the juice...hell, it even lacks the herbs of the above!) but followed the recommendation anyway. Maybe it was down to having the crockpot slow cook (I'm not convinced about "yours" at all) but it was a pretty decent, if basic, stew :iiam:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

lousy hat posted:

Holy poo poo.

God drat it I saw the video on the pizza and I want to try the recipe which is completely different than the one he had written.

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
I made meatballs using a recipe that had an alternative recipe for meatloaf on the same page. The only real difference was the cooking time -- 20 minutes vs 90 minutes. Whoops.

Fortunately I only had room to bake half the meatballs, so after I threw the first batch out, I only had to wait 20 minutes to eat some that weren't rock hard and tasteless.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
A few of mine, mostly cockups:

1. I decided to try making some delicious zucchini muffins. I grated the zucchini, mixed the batter and the zucchini together (not too much because they're muffins), baked them and let them cool. It came time to try them and they were impressive and very moist! It was then mum asked what the were. I said with pride, Why they're zucchini muffins mum! She told me we didn't have any zucchini, only cucumbers. So I ended up inadvertently making cucumber muffins instead. Surprisingly good, but not one I'd attempt again.

2. My future father-in-law grows chillies. A good variety of them. One time after visiting he gave me a big bag of a whole heap of different types to try. He had to harvest the lot because the deer kept on wandering by the vege patch and eating them all. Not really knowing what to do with all these chillies I figured I should at least cook with some of them and found a nice recipe for a pea, ham and chilli pasta sauce. I was going to cook this for a nice dinner for two with my future wife. The recipe called for a medium chilli. I looked in the bag and found no medium sized ones but there were two smaller orange ones -perfect! I cut these up as directed and popped them in to the pan with garlic and olive oil. It was sauteeing away nicely and I was looking forward to this yum pasta. The sauce finished without any dramas, pasta was ready - it was time to eat! We hungrily digged into our pasta with gusto. First bite - delicious! A triumph! What's that slowly building up? Inconceivable heat! Oh my gods! Turns out these were habaneros that I added. I like chilli, my wife not so much, but even for me that was ridiculous.

3. I like to homebrew. I've slowed down a lot lately because I don't have time, but I used to do a lot of experimental stuff. One time after successfully brewing a partial mash (which is using grains as well as malt extract) I had a heap of yummy smelling grains and figured it would be great to try to make some bread out of it. I need to let it rest for a little while to lose some heat so I could knead it without getting my hands burnt off. Once it was cool enough to handle, I added some extra flour to compensate for the additional liquid, threw in some yeast and got to work. Soon enough I had a great bread dough that smelled awesome. I let it rise a couple of times, impressed that it was actually working then put it in the oven. I had no idea how long in the oven it needed so pulled it out after 40 minutes and gave it a tap on the bottom - needed a little longer so let it cook another 10 minutes and it's done. We were all excited to try it so I got the breadknife out and sliced it up. Hot bread with butter? The best! We all buttered up a slice then took a bite. Everyone made appreciative noises at first then came the screwed faces and spitting out of the bread - it was a homebrew, and I forgot I'd added hops to the grain bag as well. A lot of fine fuggles hops to be sure, but these are what gives beer that lovely herbal floral bitterness as well. You don't leave it in the beer for a reason, and we all found out why that was that day. I'll try that bread again sometime, but will definitely put the hops in their own bag.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Hops and grains shouldn't be in the same vessel, dude.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Filboid Studge posted:

Hehe I'm not that much of a brewer to be honest!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Filboid Studge posted:

First Wort Hopping is pretty great.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Anyone have any bright ideas for removing plastic from an electric stove element?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Low heat windows open is what my friend did, but it was gross as hell when I visited a day later. At worse, pick up a new element from a hardware store?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

angerbot posted:

Anyone have any bright ideas for removing plastic from an electric stove element?

It's a metal element, right? Try a razor blade and your nails. I use that for when plastic gets melted to my dremel bits

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

It is, and the hops still don't come in contact with the grain, just the wort. Hence the name.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

angerbot posted:

Open windows. Put fans in windows. Turn element on high. Go outside and barbeque tonight.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

It's a metal element, right? Try a razor blade and your nails. I use that for when plastic gets melted to my dremel bits
Yeah. If it's not feasible to pick up a replacement element, scrape it off as best you can and then turn it on with the windows open, fan on, until the residue burns off. You may wish to put a shower cap over your smoke alarm; just remember to take it off when you're done.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Pull it off the stove and hit it with a propane torch, outside.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Sweating into the gravy. I still blame the turkey.

When I was little I suppose I did not do measuring well. I emptied our cinnamon. 1/4 teaspoon does not equal 1/4 cup.

I should mention: loving up got me to ask for a cookbook for Christmas. It didn't help.

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 1, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
When I was in college I shared a house with three other people. None of us really knew how to cook. I did scrambled eggs. One of the others would fry up some hamburgers out of one of those 2-foot tall sleeves of frozen, waffle-shaped ground beef patties sometimes. A girlfriend made up a binder full of basic recipes for him to try so that he could actually eat real food other than what the school cafeteria had (Grade D, Institutional Use Only meat: Prisons and Schools).

On a Friday he informed us he would be trying the Chicken Enchiladas recipe. That was cool, but I was going out that night so I didn't get to partake. Came back and died at 2 in the morning so no chance to ask how they were.

Everyone was out of the house by the time I rolled out of bed the next morning. I went in to the kitchen to make some eggs for breakfast, and noticed the main counter. It was completely covered in a clear, slightly pink fluid. I stared. There was a remnant of very thin plastic wrap suspiciously stuck to another counter. I stared at that too. I opened the freezer to look for something to microwave, since I wasn't going to touch that counter. There, perched on a precarious slant atop every other food item in the freezer, was the leftover raw chicken, just sitting on its styrofoam tray in the open air, no plastic wrap, no ziploc bag, no plate.

The rest of the kitchen was not very clean; the stove was covered in dead grease from the hamburger frying and most of the surfaces had random dry goods and grocery bags and random trash on them. There were no cleaning products in the house, not even bleach. So I went to the store, got a deli sandwich for my breakfast, and came back with a bunch of cleaning supplies and made that whole motherfucking kitchen shine.

My roommates were rather stunned when they returned home to a sparkling kitchen. As payment for this service, I made them sit through a lecture about salmonella and food poisoning. I taught them about cross-contamination, I demonstrated proper handwashing and how and when it should be performed. I told them how to store raw meats (i.e. not on top of every other loving edible). I was surprised to find out that it was mostly news to them, that they didn't realize that leaving raw chicken juice on the counter might cause health problems. I wasn't an authority, I just learned about basic food safety when I had to get my handler's card for being a pizza delivery driver. And I had experienced food poisoning once before.

None of them got sick from eating the enchiladas, thankfully, but they probably owe that to good clean chicken and luck. At the time I was happy I had missed that particular meal. Happily the kitchen was kept reasonably clean from then on.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
This week I did a fuckup that was several days in the making.

Over the weekend I made my standard bread dough recipe, which is enough for two loaves. I decided for some reason to only make one, which turned out great as usual! So then I had a bread worth of dough just sitting around, which is not in itself terrible because it can survive pretty well in the proper conditions. It would have been fine except:

1. I decided I was too lazy to make room in my fridge so it sat on my counter
2. The weather got really hot, and
3. I just started my new job this week, and left my windows open all day because I wasn't home to realize how hot it was getting.

So this dough sat out for multiple days, heating up to 80+F. The nagging thought in the back of my head that I should really be baking the rest of the dough finally got loud enough to get me to act on wednesday night. So I floured my surface, turned on the oven, and attempted to knead the dough. It was...soupy.

Here is where things go downhill rapidly.

Instead of just giving it up and throwing it away, I poured soupy dough into a bowl and stuck it in the fridge, then promptly forgot about it. So it sat in there overnight, uncovered...

The next morning I woke up later than usual, but by god I was going to bake that bread. I turned on the oven again, pulled out the dough from the fridge, and plonked it onto my floured countertop. It was solid now! And crusty on top! It was like kneading a block of clay, but whatever. Also I could only give it half an hour to rise becuase I couldn't be late to work, but whatever. Also I realized too late that I had forgotten to put the pan in the oven to heat up, but whatever. It probably won't be fine but I can't stop now, got to keep making terrible decisions!

So what came out of the oven was a blob with very little rise, stuck to the pan. I had to chip away at it with a spatula for quite a while to get it off. I haven't eaten any of it but it's dense like a brick and smells incredibly sour.

I took a picture that somehow makes it look good, just try to keep in mind that it's like four inches tall

...in my defense I've recently started on some antidepressants that destroy my ability to make rational decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zeluth posted:

When I was little I suppose I did not do measuring well. I emptied our cinnamon. 1/4 teaspoon does not equal 1/4 cup.

I've done that but with chili powder. I didn't realize that there wasn't a top on it so about 9 tablespoons went into a chili that I made. Managed to scoop some out but between that and having some rice to put it on it was actually a glorious mistake that I haven't been able to replicate since.