Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Nina Walker
TV Ratings: 9.5

"That little piece of drek.." Nina taps her deck a few more times as she notices what her opponent's trying to do. She sends some spikes down the route through the agent, not bothering to look back around to try and see where they go. She's more intent on trying to end this quickly, making the guy pay for this strategy.

She tries to shout at her agent, thinking it might help given the stress of the moment. "Don't just sit there! Do something!" A few more taps, and it goes to trying to clear off the protocol hooks her opponent has into her system.

Deck Setup:
Firewall 11/Attack (11) 10/Sleaze 9/Data Processing 8
Programs: Agent 5, Armor, Hammer, Decryption, Mugger, Guard
Defensive Rolls:
Defense vs Hack on the Fly: 16d6t5 5 2 Marks on him
Defense vs Erase Mark: 16d6t5 6 Still 2 Marks

Free Action (last round): Spike (1 mark)
Complex Action (this round): Brute Force
Free Action (this round): Spike (2 or 3 marks)
Complex Action, Agent: Erase Mark

Spike (1 mark): 14d6t5 2
Brute Force: 14d6t5 8
Spike (2-3 marks): 14d6t5 6
Erase Mark: 10d6t5 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Nightengale starts working on the lock, but after maybe thirty seconds she curses under her breath. "poo poo, I can't do this. It's... the mechanism is pickable, but there's something else here. A tripwire? Let me see if this is gonna..."

She fiddles for another second, and the door swings open. As it does, a loud alarm starts to ring through the entire premises, screeching at the intruders. She doesn't look like she's given up, though, as she mutters to you under her breath. "Can't you gremlins that poo poo or something? If not, the cops are gonna come!"

Cpl. Mirialis "Miriya" Santana A. Co, Squad A4 (Recon) (Connections 2/Loyalty 1)
You can hear the disappointment in Mirialis' voice. "Cross-training was today, bud. Shoulda been there, though! I won a cool twelve grand off of the rest of Alpha Company's snipers. I don't think I'm going to be able to convince my CO about that tomorrow, though: something about you being a 'trouble player' or some poo poo."

Shiner: Ares corp helicopter pilot in Tamanrasset (Connections 3 /Loyalty 1)
Shiner laughs as you suggest drinks. "poo poo, you burn this late every night? I got time, though. Maybe we can go find us some good beer. Where you wanna meet up?"

Rolling the gangers, you find about ten thousand nuyen in bills and enough fake gold that it would probably pay for your lunch. Aside from that, there's a bundle of Jazz doses in a bag and a few low-end Meta Links like the ones you had the night before. Bang laughs of your concern. "Don't worry, I got some form-fitting poo poo I wear everywhere. I'll have a few bruises, but that's about it. How's that arm, though? Still clean?"

The two of them pretend to ignore your drain, and truth be told Jared looks a little winded, too: whatever he had thrown down to wreck those gangers, he probably paid about the same price you did. He collects the gaudy jewelry with a forced smile. "Looks like lunch is on our late friends here. Where do you guys want to eat? In the mood for anything special, Wolf?"

Relieved that you aren't going to shoot him, the man insists on buying the first drink. "Naw, friend! You 'bout to win me a whooole bunch a money, right? Excuse me, can we get us two Jack and Cokes? I'm a big fan, and we always bring in a big ol' bundle a' manufacturin' contracts for it, too. Oh, I'd be proper remiss if I didn't give you my card. Name's Lawrence Tallahassee."

He passes you the ARO-laden tag, which identifies your new drinking buddy as the Vice President of Manufacturing of Exxoco Petrochem. He also gets you to sign a credstick in sharpie, and asks about your setup in your arms while mispronouncing your name. "Where'd you go and get those things, France? Any way I could get in on sponserin' 'em? When you shippin' out to the sand? Any way I could get you usin' my explosives 'fore then?"

I went with the truncating policy.
HE Mag: your scores for the first set become 5 1 2 1, total of 9. Still need 3, starting at a DP of 8.
Extra Mag Rolls: 8d6t5+7d6t5 5, you got the 3 you needed on the 8d6 so 10 minutes for a total of 50 minutes.
Frag Mag: 4 1 1 4, total of 10. Still need 2.
Extra Mag Rolls: 8d6t5+7d6t5 3, so 20 minutes for a total of 60 minutes. To keep times okay, I'm going to fudge this into your leaving the Meet and Greet at about 10:30 a.m., sneaking off.

You mangle your way through a conversation, the hostess looking doubly-intimidated when you walk in and ask for a table. Soon enough, though, you've got a table on the patio and a human waiter that seems like he knows how to take an order without being overly-social. The beer they bring you is a liter big, in a frosted glass mug, but the noon sun gets it up to a room temperature in less than five minutes.

The cigar smoke hangs over the steak, and it's damned-good: served on a slab of wood with a large steak knife, the entire 60 ounces is incredible. It's the best you've ever had, that's for sure, char-cooked in a 1700-degree wood-burning oven. As you sit on the patio, relaxing, you see Mic Finn walk by, and he notices you and stops, talking to you across the little railing that closed in the patio. "Hey, man, that poo poo looks good. What you up to? Got a spare cigar?"

He hops the railing and sits down across from you, trying to flag the waiter down for a beer.

The first data spike whiffed, but as you bounced his half-rate attempt to tighten his hold on your system, you saw his metasploit server's ports in the packet headers. With that in place, it was only a matter of a few precise taps to grab the server's sockets, open up your own client, and dump a rootkit into 127.0.0.1 on his machine. And when that root terminal popped, you didn't waste a second, launching a forkbomb into his system. As the threads unraveled, the computer went with it, his rig spewing silicon smoke in the real world and his icon simply blinking out of the Matrix, replaced with two-thousand little triangular polygons that scattered as if in the wind. Your agent failed to dump the marks, but it didn't matter at that point: your icon was already being surrounded with winner's fireworks. He paid in spades.

When you got back into AR, you saw the guy across from you trying to cope with dumpshock. Oz pulled open the door to your booth, a grin on his face. "drat that was cool. Let's go collect your winnings!"

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Stun 6/10
Edge 2/3

Edit: Posting

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Stun 6/10
Edge 2/3

"You are the god drat scout, you can't handle a booby trap stating that we are loving here," Bell hisses at Nightingale, pissed off beyond all measure with how sneaking in a perfectly haunted house is getting blown to kingdom come. Well, not literally, not yet anyway.

"Fine, whatever, I got this." Again, Bell shakes her head but mentally casts her eyes over willing the alarms to stop their wailing. "Don't bother talking when we are here cause no one is going to be doing anything vocal for a bit.

If I hear another bright idea coming out of you, you are going to be going going gone

Casting Silence at Force 8(f)-1 Since I'm sustaining 2 spells, -4 10d6 3 hits
Drain at 7 hits 9d6t5 5 hits so 7-5=2 stun damage which is at 4/10

AmyL fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 13, 2014

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

¥: 33,380 TV Rating: 12.5 Cards in the Deck: 51/52
Edge: 1/4
Stepping off the elevator, he goes into his room, gets dressed quickly and goes to find Franz. Once he's sure his partner hasn't been geeked for being involved in his poo poo its time to visit the decker. He'll discuss it with Franz the recent events before they go in. While thinking about his contacts he calls up two people on his commlink.

Cpl. Mirialis "Miriya" Santana A. Co, Squad A4 (Recon) (Connections 2/Loyalty 1)
"They must need to get there ears checked. Troubleshooter is my billet here, where there's trouble I'm shooting." Tony says with a laugh. "Nah training is good, training is very good. Working is better though. See you around Miri. Oh wait one more thing, you said you made 12k off of the rest of alpha companies snipers? I'll match that bet. How about that?"

"I got to handle a thing real quick. I'll find out whats hot tonight and get back to you on that. I did the nightclub scene the other night and I'm kinda in the mood to find somewhere that does Chrome Rock or Industrial right. That sounds good to you?"

Franz
"Status?" Tony texts Franz as he heads over to his hotel room to see whats up with the guy.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 13, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

The alarm's noise immediately slips away, and Nightengale says something about phone lines and doors and shoos you inside, closing the door after you. The second you cross the threshold, though, you can feel it: the rage, the anger, the spirits, the mana. Whatever was here, is here, lives here, it's a bubbling domain of mana. The sense of dread cannot be dismissed, either: it permeates your brian and sends chills along your spine. The house is dark, and you appear to be in a great entryway, a staircase bounding up in front of you with a long hallway beside it. There are doors to your left and right, and more along the hallway, but those are secondary constructs as you try to decide if the thing at the top of the stairs of a person, a spirit, or something in between. It looks like a man, sure, but the light doesn't play on it correctly, and the putrid look on its face, with sunken eyes and a twisted grin, seem firmly in the uncanny valley. Nightengale doesn't even seem to notice the figure, bent over the alarm attached to the door frame. She' disassembling the housing, trying to get at the signaling feature and muttering about silent alarms as you pause.

Roll Logic + Willpower against a 2. If you fail, flee!

She actually just snorted with laughter. Actually. Snorted. At the idea that you'd beat her. "Sure, 'Mr. White', I'll take your money any fuckin' time. Why not now? I know a good spot, we can set up some playing cards and shoot for poker hands."

You can hear the tease in her voice, like she's either playing with you or playing out some fantasy in her head. "poo poo, I know a place. Maybe I'll even let you jump my bones, things go right."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

"I work for a living, I don't do trick shots for kicks. 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 meters. Oh and since I'm the challenger, I pick where it happens. Lets see if you can hang with me. Assuming neither of us get snagged for some extra duty, lets meet at midnight tomorrow."

"Maybe? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, the way you say that you sound like you don't even wanna go out, you just wanna skip to it. I mean we can do that too, but lets go out on the town first don't rush it. Give me the name of the place and lets say we meet at 11?"

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 19, 2014

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Edge 1/3
ooc: Oh yea? Well, Bell takes it with 7d6t5: 2 hits, spends an Edge to reroll failures, 5d6t5 for 2 more hits, making it my 4 to your 2.

Bad Luck 1d6 4

So Bell takes it and if she has to warn Nightingale, she will.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Quickly searching his commlink for the duty numbers of the rest of the team, he pulls up Nina Walker's number and sends her a text.

[Hey, I need your help for a thing and it'll pay. Can we meet up?]

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

"So, how much did I win? There wasn't a bonus for being fancy, right?" Nina grins, getting out of her little pod. "Good to get some good vibes on the deck front. If I had tech like this, the Desert Wars would be a breeze. Where'd I collect my creds?"

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Oz chuckles to himself as he drags you up to the bar along one side of the room. "Fancy? No way. But I agree. With any luck, though, you'll get free run of the host out in the desert when we get there. A show like that, I'd love to keep you in that much hardware."

The bar is a huge slab of some synthwood, lacquered into a mirror finish, with two trolls behind it making drinks and one slick-looking elf that seems to be employed primarily to scribble on a paper. Oz points him out. "That's Kindz, 'with a Z', he does the payout here. It comes down to odds, but since you're a newcomer... Well, I covered your one-kay entry fee, but then I put another ten on you. With a payout of, what, three-to-one, based on your TV ratings and poo poo, that comes to 30,000 nuyen clean. Plus the two-kay winner's purse, that mean 16 thousand easy for each of us, right? Want a drink while we wait for the payout?"

One of the trolls lumbers over to take a drink order, and he leans in and sniffs you, like it's going to do it for him. It's awkward and weird, but he brings you what you ask for afterwards. Kindz shows up a moment later, shoving a credstick across the table at you and another one at Oz. Oz takes them up quick and transfers some funds. He offers you your credstick while slurping down his White Russian. "Nice work, Walker. Got a handle?"

Nightengale rises and spins around, holding out a circuit board. "See, easy as pie!"

When you look back, the shade is gone, but the uneasy feeling isn't. (Treat your Magic as if 3 lower than it is for the rest of your bout in the haunted house due to background count. Also LOL background count is only mentioned in Qualities in the Shadowrun 5E corebook.) She gives you her stupid little smile and points at the top of the stairs. "Let's go check the bedrooms. Maybe there will even be blood!"

She starts up the staircase, and it becomes clear that Miss Nightengale isn't all there.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
Darius
Nuyen: 15030 TV Rating: 11 Armor: 9 Condition: 0/11P 1/11S Edge: 1/3

"Yeah, arm's fine I'm sure. Glad you're ok though."

Turning to Jared: "Hell, y'all know the local eating better than I do. I could go for burrito though. That is, if ya'll are in the mood and know a place. We're not going to miss training are we? I tend to have a habit of pissing off my superiors and I'd rather not get off to a bad start." Looking down at the money he continues: "So split the remainder after the cheque three ways then?"

OOC: I'm assuming that in total all three of us discovered 10k rather than just my share being 10k. If its the latter then ignore the 2nd comment.

Arkangelus fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 14, 2014

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Nina takes her credstick, transferring some of her own. "Nah, don't need a handle. Handles are for spooks and cooks. As far as a drink goes, I'll just go simple. Gimme something with caffeine, soykaf if you've got nothing better."

Nina smiles at Oz, counting the nuyen in her head. "I'm good right now. Kinda wanted to make sure to get some of the training down."

IN THE EVENING, TIME TRAVEL IS FUN

Nina looks at the message, shaking her head a bit. ["This urgent, White? I'm kinda busy right now."]

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 14, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
@thelazyblank: for what it's worth, thanks to PBP time dilation, you get White's message about 8 o'clock that evening.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Matches
Nuyen: 7480 TV Rating: 7 Cigars: 12 Edge 5/5 Karma: 0

Oi, Mic, grab a seat. Matches tosses the ork one of his cigars. Just trying to get as much real fuckin grub as I can in me before we start spending all our fuckin time in the fuckin desert.

The grub here is fuckin tops but is pricy as poo poo and they don't have much in the way of beer. If you don't wanna eat then let's bug out and find somewhere else to grab a few quarts.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Sorry for the delay in updating; I am trying to get all of the pieces of the inter-squad training 'run' together before kicking it off. I am going to try to finish up tomorrow or Sunday.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

thelazyblank posted:

Nina smiles at Oz, counting the nuyen in her head. "I'm good right now. Kinda wanted to make sure to get some of the training down."

IN THE EVENING, TIME TRAVEL IS FUN

Nina looks at the message, shaking her head a bit. ["This urgent, White? I'm kinda busy right now."]

[Very, can you do me the favor and get unbusy for an hour or two? Where can I meet you?]

ViscerusIgnea
Mar 21, 2014
[quote="ViscerusIgnea" post="429462559"]
Franz Talhoffer
Assets: 24500¥
Rating: 15

With Lawrence

"You are a manufacturer? Vell, so long as you are not an Ares competitor, I am sure zey vould love to have your company sponsor me. As for ze arms, zey're top of ze line Ares Cybertech. Electronic Myomer muscle arrays, Hydraulics in the hands, and hyper-dense armour, all of it embedded throughout my entire upper body. Both of zem integrate an experimanetal cyberweaponry system, designed to give me ze ability to fight effectively at all ranges. Who needs a side arm, when your arm is a gun?"
Franz sits back a little, sipping his J&C. "Zis is good. I am almost glad to say zat I nearly tore your head off Herr Tallahassee. Zis is quite a nice relaxing vay to do business, ja? On ze subject of when I leave, I vill be out of here, and doing my new job in two or three days, giff or take."

Now he leans forward, resting his elbows on the table, and his chin on splayed hands.
"Now, I do believe I heard you say ze vord 'Explosives'. Zat is one of mein favourite vords. Please, do go on."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Jared takes up one of the shotguns to 'sell off', as he puts it, and then Bang suggests lunch of Los Roberto's. It turns out to be a small taco truck, halfway across town, with scratch-made tortillas and the beautiful smell of fresh fajita-flavored soy and, if you were willing to pay, pork. Bang orders three tacos, and Jared gets a quesadilla, all with real pork. The guy looks at you and asks what you'd like. The three of you eat in a small park across the street, the sun beating down as the three of you eat. Your arm hurts a bit, but the pain is subsiding as you let it sit without heavy use. You shoot the poo poo while you eat, and by the time you're done it's time to head to the Ares Training Facility to prep for the afternoon's work. Splitting up the cash, you net yourself a clean 3500 nuyen.

You watch at one of the bartenders nods and sets about making your drink. At first it's unclear she heard your order, but then you realize what's taking so long: she's making an honest-to-God espresso, with fresh-ground beans and steamed water forced through it. The double-thick chocolate-brown liquid trickles out into a miniature coffee cup, double-full, and in a little under a minute you've got a real double-shot in front of you. The ceramic mug is hot, the foam on top a perfect, rich golden-brown. The bartender grins at you and says, "Don't worry, hon, it's on the house. You just come back and do that again some time."

The coffee tastes like a dream, maybe the best you've ever had, and Oz nods when you mention training. "Oh, poo poo, it's about time. I gotta be there to make sure everything is lined up just right for the transport team. Gotta split. See you around?"

He offers you his hand before bolting. It's about time to head to training.

Mic shrugs and settles in, ordering two steaks and six doubles of Laphroaic 18. He laughs when you suggest heading elsewhere as he downs his first double in a single gulp. "gently caress no, man. This place is as good as any, in't it? Am ur gantin' for a steak, burn the nuyen while I'm minted. Whatchoo thing of the new Ares poo poo they showed off today? Ah can't wait to get my hands on that fookin' grenade launcher, pop a few dozen downrange in the sand."

He gets properly drunk over the next fifteen minutes, laughing while you get more liters of beer. He asks you about where you came from, and how you learned your way around a machine gun, just shooting the poo poo until it's time to go. You get a bill for 300 nuyen, and Mic's is probably double that the way he kicks back expensive scotch. He's rightly drunk by the time he pays, and he laughs when your alarm goes off to head to Ares Training Facility A. "poo poo, you got that fookin' training, eh? Armory doesn't get that poo poo, we off the afternoon. Have fun, though."

He wanders into the Tamanrasset streets, grinning and drunk, and it's time for you to head to training.

When you describe the precision and work in your arms, the large Texan grins. "That's drat cool, man. drat cool. I got me one for my bum leg, but it just kinda gets me around, it don't shoot or nothin'. Maybe you can send me to your designer sometime, after you get back from the drat desert."

When you inquire about the explosives, the large man laughs, wiping sweat from his brow. "Sheet, yeah, explosives! I can even get 'em delivered right to ya door out in tha desert. Tell ya what, France, I got me a bus'ness meetin' at one o'clock, but you got my comm number on that there card. You gimmie a ring, send me an order, gasoline, tee-n-tee, whatever you right well need. All you gotta do is tell 'em where it came from on the screen. We got a deal?"

He pays for the drink and rises, offering you his hand to seal the arrangement before he heads off to his next meeting.

To keep things moving, I'm going to run your Haunted House Adventure concurrently if that's cool. Alternatively, you can find me on IRC and we can do it there.

Everyone mark 5 Karma for lunch time adventures.

@Schizotek, BigassMoth: You still with us?

You all arrive at Ares Training Facility A for the preliminary staging for practice. The rest of Platoon A is milling about in the main training area, performing last-minute preparations and otherwise lining up their gear. At 1305, Platoon Leader Mirian Lance arrives at the front of the room and her voice rings out. "Soldiers! On your feet! We've got inter-squad training today, and that means this jack-off platoon is gonna have to get their poo poo together and get an objective done. We're headed out to the desert for a breaching exercise, defusing a hostage situation. When we set down, Squad Alpha-Four is going to perform information gathering and recon. After that, Squad Alpha-One will perform a frontal assault, Squad Alpha-Two is going to perform rear entry and room-clearing, and Squad Alpha-Three, you're responsible for recovering and evacuating the hostages, so try not to gently caress it up."

Lance continues, "Now, before we head out, there are a few other things we have to get out of the way: first, this will be recorded. That means you're going to be wearing our armor and using our RIGs so that we can broadcast this stunt and make a profit. We've got three options for that, including including some light-weight jumpsuit poo poo, full-body armor, and some light milspec stuff. It's your call which you want, but you have to strap into one so we can record the scene. Second, this is a training exercise. That means gel rounds and stick and shock, and we've got a number of gas grenades if you want them, but do not engage with lethal force. We've got Firewatch running defense on this one, and those assholes might try to kill you if you try to kill them first. And third, no cowboy poo poo. It might give you a spike in the ratings now, but you try that against a red sam in the field and you're likely to become another stain on the desert. Are there any questions? Squad Bravo-Four will be here in two minutes for transportation to our staging location where you will find the armor and ammunition."

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I'm here, I check the thread daily but I haven't been involved with anything recently by choice.

Karl Bradford
Rating 9 / Nuyen 24683 / 13 Karma

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3616949&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post427111195

Karl has been waiting for this briefing for hours, and sighs as the rest of the team roll in just a few minutes before the meeting starts. "At least they made it," he thinks. "I was beginning to think I'd have to do this damned war alone..." Classic Karl; as experienced and capable as anyone in the Desert Wars, but his overwhelming insecurity always has him second-guessing until the bullets start flying.

"I can take charge of Alpha-One. It should be simple enough to rush in and make sure our logo is shown while we create a diversion for the other squads to do the extraction. I'll take the milspec armor and advise anyone else in a direct combat role to do the same. I trust the armor comes with a built-in gas mask? My trusty Ares Alpha(tm) should be enough for the combat simulation, but I'll need 12 mini gas grenades and 300 rounds of Stick N Shock for the op."

Karl also packs his Crusader II, Shock Glove, and Survival Knife as standard loadout.

\/\/ forget what I said, Alpha-Three to the rescue!

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 20, 2014

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

I'm here, I check the thread daily but I haven't been involved with anything recently by choice.

Karl Bradford
Rating 9 / Nuyen 24683 / 13 Karma

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3616949&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post427111195

Karl has been waiting for this briefing for hours, and sighs as the rest of the team roll in just a few minutes before the meeting starts. "At least they made it," he thinks. "I was beginning to think I'd have to do this damned war alone..." Classic Karl; as experienced and capable as anyone in the Desert Wars, but his overwhelming insecurity always has him second-guessing until the bullets start flying.

"I can take charge of Alpha-One. It should be simple enough to rush in and make sure our logo is shown while we create a diversion for the other squads to do the extraction. I'll take the milspec armor and advise anyone else in a direct combat role to do the same. I trust the armor comes with a built-in gas mask? My trusty Ares Alpha(tm) should be enough for the combat simulation, but I'll need 12 mini gas grenades and 300 rounds of Stick N Shock for the op."

Karl also packs his Crusader II, Shock Glove, and Survival Knife as standard loadout.

:laffo:

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
OOC: We're A3 Bigass Moth. I had to go back and check as well.

Darius
Nuyen: 18530 Karma: 5 TV Rating: 11 Armor: 9 Condition: 0/11P 1/11S Edge: 1/3

Darius wolfed down two al pastor burritos and enjoyed the lunch with his friends. He was glad to have connected with a few more people. Especially since he still wasn't sure what kind of help, if any at all, Aleksi would be. When he got to training he started to feel a bit anxious but quickly talked himself down. After all, he was here right? He must be good enough if they'd gone to all this trouble to bring him out. Right..?
He was worried when they starting talking about using Ares rigs that he'd be stuck with a crude assault rifle again but then lance mentioned stick-n-shock and breathed a sigh of relief. He'd been reading about them last night and if anything he was interested to see them in action.

Darius approaches Karl and tries to show off his new "tattoo". "Check it out, pretty crazy right? I've never seen this kind of artificing before but it definitely works."

Other than that he sits tight. When they get to the staging ground he grabs stick-n-shock arrows and some gas grenades. He also asks whoever is outfitting their armor if there are any mods for the full body and milspec respectively or if its strictly off the shelf. If not, he just grabs full body armor.

OOC Edit #2: Are we going to be responsible for making the plan or are the commanders going to give us one to execute? Also are static shafts available with the stick and shock arrowheads?

Arkangelus fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 19, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Matches
Nuyen: 7180 TV Rating: 7 Cigars: 12 Edge 5/5 Karma: 5

As his comm alarm goes off, Matches guzzles the last of his beer, plays his tab, and saying goodbye to Mic, he heads to this loving training thing.

After the briefing, Matches sits in stunned silence for a moment. loving gel rounds and fuckin gas grenades? What kinda loving lame pussy rear end poo poo is this? I mean come the gently caress on, they are giving us loving armor. And our loving assignment is gonna be hand-holding some fuckers dumb enough to get caught? Such lame loving bullshit.

[i]Matches is looking to get the following gear, lame as this poo poo is:

A set of the Full Body Armor

1 @ 100r belt and 2 @ 50r clips of Stick-n-Shock for his M202. Also a pouch of 5 gas grenades for the underbarrel launcher

4 clips of Gas grenades for his Antioch 2

He is also going to bring along his riot shield and medkit. Unless he is searched he is also going to bring two .5kg charges of Rating 15 Plastic Explosive with some wireless loving detonators.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

In The Underground Place

Nina grins back, raising the cup gently towards the bartender. "Sure thing, especially if we can keep paying out like this." As Oz gives the hand out, Nina closes her fist and taps it up against the hand. She nods, checking her own deck for the time. "Right, right. I'll be right behind you."

Nina finishes her coffee without being in too much of a rush. As soon as she's done, though, she's back in a rush to catch up.

In the FUTURE

[Fine, fine. But this better not be something that'll get me fired. Just gimme that much before I clear something out for you.]

In the facility

Nina sits quietly in the back, trying her best not to be noticed. Deckers and shouting Platoon leaders rarely are on the same wavelength, but the least she could do was not make it too obvious.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

@bunnielab: they didn't search you; they're just hoping you don't do something stupid.
@Arkangelus: Oh, yeah, Ares wants their Static Shafts showcased on this one.

Some of the members of Squad A1 seem to be snickering at Karl until Lance gives them a killing glare. Then she nods at Karll. "Private Bradford, you will, ah, be appointed to your Squad, A3, for the duration of the mission. I hope that's alright. The other gear will be on-site. Any other questions?"

One of the spooks from Squad A4 raises her hand, an elf in ruthenium-coated armor with a large rifle between her legs. "Platoon Leader Lance, this private would like to request operationg climate information. And expected operation length."

Lance answers concisely. "It's about a hundred outside. Transit will take fifteen minutes, then a fifteen-minute recon period, ten minute squad planning, and the hostages should be secure and out within the hour. Any other questions? No? Then load up, air transit is setting down on the roof."

Squads A3 and A4 get an Ares Dragon between them, and an ork named Hunan is wired into it as you climb aboard. The ride is smooth, full of you lot and the 8 spooks from Squad A4, who mostly spend their time arguing about the relative merits of Stick'n'Shock versus gel rounds and studying trideo maps of the target building and its surroundings. It doesn't look like there's a decker among them, but there is a rigger and two people who look like mages. The Dragon takes the lot of you west across the city, out to the burning-hot sands of the Sahara, flying in formation with two more transports: one contained A1 and A2, and the other contained COs and last-minute supplies. The choppers set down near a small staging area, three beige tents in the middle of the desert. One of them is full of munitions and the promised armor, another looks to be set up for CO observation, and the third is large enough to house all four squads with cots and tables.

Squad A4 embarks from the Dragon post-haste, the elf from earlier barking orders and last-minute ruthenium settings to her troops as they vanish into the blazing-hot sands. The armory tent is promising, with a complete compliment of the promised gear. Squads A1 and A2 get outfitted and then head to the large tent, where A1's decker sets up ping-pong grenades on the interactive trideo display tables. The soldiers generally shoot the poo poo and try to kill time, waiting for A4 to return with intel.

Anyone can collect up to 500 rounds of gel and 500 rounds of Stick'n'Shock. The gel rounds are a new Ares design with some non-euclidian fluid suspended in the core. They look like they're made to transfer more force through armor, and should be treated as 0S / -2 AP. There are also enough Ares Alphas that anyone who wants one can get it. Thermal Smoke and Pepper Punch gas grenades are available, too, enough for every soldier to have 5 to throw, 10 for an Alpha, or two clips for an Antioch 2. There are also two flash-paks per squad. The body armor is as follows:

Light Hardened Mil-Spec Battle Armor [15 Armor / 15 Capacity]

- Custom Fit, Gear Access, +2 Social Limit on Intimidation, Restrictive
- Chemical Seal, Environmental Adaptation (Desert), Response Interface Gear, Biomonitor, Micro-transciever, Medkit 6
- Helmet [+3 Armor / 8 Capacity]
-- Environmental Adaptation (Desert), Response Interface Gear, Thermographic Vision, Atmosphere Sensor, Motion Sensor

Full Body Armor [15 Armor / 15 Capacity]
- Chemical Seal, Environmental Adaptation (Desert), Response Interface Gear, Biomonitor, Micro-transciever, Medkit 6
- Helmet [+3 Armor / 6 Capacity]
-- Environmental Adaptation (Desert), Response Interface Gear, Thermographic Vision

Urban Explorer Jumpsuit [9 armor / 9 Capacity]
- Biomonitor
- Environmental Adaptation (Desert), Response Interface Gear, Micro-transciever, Medkit 6
- Helmet [+2 Armor / 6 Capacity]
-- Environmental Adaptation (Desert), Response Interface Gear, Thermographic Vision

Within fifteen minutes, a human male, Dorsey Basset, from Squad A4 marches into the main tent. He touches one of the tables, replacing the ping-pong game with a trideo display of the target building's exterior. completely wandered back from the desert, and they pull up the trid picture of the facility and start to fill in details they've managed to gather up. It's an ancient water treatment plant that was abandoned in the last 2020s.

Dorsey starts pointing things out, explaning the glass-front lobby and the intact garage bay and loading dock doors. The facility lacks a security system, but they spotted a few troops patrolling outside. It didn't look like the hostages were in either of the water treatment rooms. There is also a large water main running to the facility that could be cut into for an underground approach. Squad A1 starts discussing the initial lobby assault while Squad A2 starts to plan a breach along the back wall. That just leaves Squad A3, and Sgt. Dayton price, a wared-out Ares veteran and your CO, rounds you up over your own trideo table of the partially-detailed map. "Hiya, soldiers. Nice to finally meet most of you. Karl, haven't seen you in a few years. Those of you who don't know me, the name is Dayton Price. I've been in these wars six times now, and they've given me this poo poo job of coordinating you remotely. I'm going to stick here at base camp with a trideo display including all of your vitals, and try my best to keep you all alive. That will be our SOP in the Desert Challenge. But down to business."

He spits some tobacco juice from his mouth onto the sand before he continues. "Now the way I see it, we got some options for the hostage rescue. I don't think going in with Squad A1 is a good plan, but we could stack up with A2, or breach a wall, window, or door on the east side of the compound. Alternatively, you're all parachute trained if I recall correctly, so we could get a Venture to do an air-drop, or we could go trekking up the water main. Now when A1 and A2 start their show, it should draw plenty of attention away from us, we just have to be in position to make the move. Any of those plans sound ideal? You lot got another idea?""

There's a large amount of freedom in how you'd like to approach this. I've tried to give you at least four options, but if anyone wants to propose an alternative, I'm happy for whatever you collectively want to do. Just know that the people you're hitting are going to be playing hard-ball, so a direct approach may get hairy.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

[This is company business Nina. You'll be fine, on that note don't leave your deck at home. We'll need it for this thing.] Tony says in response to her comm.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Matches

[B]I didn't bring much in the way of loving explosives, on account of this baby rules poo poo, but I don't head to the loving shitter without enough to blast in a door or a thin fuckin wall.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

The Future

[I didn't expect you wanted to grab a cup of soykaf and talk, White.] Nina nods to herself, tapping on the deck a few more times. [So, where am I going?]

The Desert

Nina decides on her lighter gear, ready to only get involved if she had to. Having a built-in medkit was probably more important than taking more bullets. She's screwed if she's getting shot at. She does load up on some of the Stick n' Shock ammo, as it's pretty useful stuff. "Sergeant, do we have any clue on their cyberwarfare capabilities? Old security systems? Anything?"

Stick n' Shock for her pistol, Urban Explorer Jumpsuit for her armor.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

At Matches' comment about the explosives, the sergeant just grins and pulls a few plastic-wrapped things from one of his cargo pockets. "Yeah, don't worry about explosives. I was a frogman back in the day. Herea re two breaching charges, enough to blow out a wall without killing whatever's on the other side. It should work for anything in the facility, but there's a chance it'll hurt anyone within about two meters, so be careful."

Then he taps as the trid a few more times, marking some locations. "I was listening to the radio, and recon reported some motion sensors on the northern side of the building, here, and here. Said they were slaved to a deck, but their decker didn't want to light the area up for fear of getting traced and blowing the information gathering. Apparently A4 has most of their devices on the single deck. So there's that, and maybe they've come up with some clever trip-mines or whatever else Firewatch uses nowadays, but you aren't about to run up against a host."

"Is there anything else? Anything I can try to requisition any of you before you go in?"

Making relevant knowledge checks may garner more information about how they're likely to set things up or the major concerns for any of the approaches.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

[Place of your choosing or come out into town and meet me at the Chatsubo. AR coordinates are attached to this message. See you when I see you.]

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
Darius
Nuyen: 18530 Karma: 5 TV Rating: 11 Armor: 9 Condition: 0/11P 1/11S Edge: 1/3

"Parachuting or water main. That's my vote. You sure all of us could make the jump?" He looks at the team's decker and rigger and raises an eyebrow. "Where the hell is everyone going anyway, first Dess now our sniper?"

He was thinking hard but he'd never really done hostage rescue before. He tried to remember what the swat guys would do.

Police procedures knowledge check: 3d6t5 2

Darius grabs full body armor and as many stick-n-shock arrows (w/ static shaft) as he can carry comfortably and a complement of gas grenades.

So we're missing mr. White and Franz. Everybody else here? Gonna need to be significantly stealthier without all that fire power.

Edit: Oops

Arkangelus fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 26, 2014

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

No you have franz, you just don't have me.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Matches

Matches starts looking over the charges Sarge handed him. This, plus the poo poo I brought should be enough to blow us an entrance and a fuckin exit if needed.[b]

Setting down the explosives, Matches takes a second look at the plans to see if he can see a good spot to make the team a door.

Knowledge Check (LOG + Structural Engineering): 8d6t5 [b]2

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
"I vote for the parachuting and water main entrance - should keep the heat off of us more than blowing a hole in the side of the building. If the security is as light as we think, an aerial insertion makes a lot of sense. Once we're in and the other teams are distracting any opposition, we can make sure our logos are shown, and extract the target with minimal combat. The real issue may be how we would want to get back out, but that may be a good time to think about the explosives we've got."

ViscerusIgnea
Mar 21, 2014
Franz Talhoffer

With Lawrence
"Ve haff a deal Herr Tallahasse. I look forward to showing ze vorld ze value of strategically placed high explosives."

Franz stands with him, and returns the handshake. "I look forward to vorking vith you. But I am afraid I must run, I am due to be at a training session in half an hour."

At the Training Meet
"I haff Neurostun Gas grenades. Ze map shows an AC vent on ze roof. If you can get me up zere, I can fill ze entire complex vith knockout gas."

Franz is gonna fill his arm clips up with Gel rounds in one arm, and S&S in the other. And I'm gonna be taking the Milspec armour.

Also Firewatch SOP knowledge roll to see what other options we should try.

Firewatch SOP knowledge check: 9d6t5 3

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

The Future

[Sure thing, boss. I'll be down there quick.] Nina checks inside wherever she is, making sure to keep her head up for this one. While she's pretty sure White wouldn't want her dead, this whole thing seems unusual for the time.

The Desert

"Alright, then I should be ready to go whenever. I'll try and stick closer to the group this time, if only in case people get shot up."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Police procedures knowledge check: 3d6t5 2

Police procedures in this situation are usually to set up sniper positions and breach a wall. Lucky for you, there's already a team of snipers in play waiting on opportunistic shots and a set of well-trained Ares operatives going through the front door. The one problem, of course, is that the people holding this place aren't exactly a low-life thrill gang that grabbed a bunc hof people "because we didn't have anything else to do that afternoon". Knight Errant dealt with them the same way, stacking up on either side of the back door and popping a breaching charge and two flashbangs before flooding the room. The thing that really stuck from the trids and the training was the rule of the backdrop: when you're hitting a place with hostages, there are a lot of innocent people that can get hurt if your bullet goes wide, or penetrates too well. And your gut told you that a trid of gel rounds eating into hostages wouldn't exactly make the ratings better.

As you pull on your body armor, though, you start to think of one of those hostage situations you were involved in, at least in passing: some blood-cult assholes had taken over a Stuffer Shack with a bunch of hellhounds, and you were called in to consult. Those SWAT guys had stacked up straight and hit hard, trying to defuse the situation with sheet force of will after a breaching charge and Flack-Pak. And it had almost worked, too, until hellhounds ate two of them in the confusion and one of the mages killed three people to get some spells off. That was the real difference, then: you weren't playing with scum, but properly-trained professionals, and n

Knowledge Check (LOG + Structural Engineering): 8d6t5 2

The building plans were woefully incomplete (could recon even do their loving job?), but you find the perfect place to make a door if and when it came to that: the garage was most susceptible, and the walls there certainly weren't going to cause a building collapse if the charge was too big. Any of the other exterior walls would probably do the trick, but the large water treatment rooms would be covered in catwalks and require moving the hostages down some ladders to get to a wall worth detonating, so those should probably be plan loving Z, all the way at the other end of the alphabet, in case poo poo went really sideways.

The charges Sarge gave you were well-assembled, some weird Ares plastique poo poo that you had never seen on any shelf. It looked pre-molded into a breaching charge, four little quarter-kilo packets of explosives connected by wires. There was an old-fashioned timer, but you got the remote triggering systems linked to your comm while you were still inspecting them.

Firewatch SOP knowledge check: 9d6t5 3

Honestly, the gas grenades were only of passing interest, for two reasons: first, the hostages would be horribly susceptible to the neurostun, which would make them that much harder to move, and second, you spent enough time as a Firewatch soldier to know that the Pepper Punch grenades were a joke. The Firewatch soldiers would be wearing Ares-tailored Firewatch body armor, the kind that never got sold on the consumer market, with the next edition of Ares AirGuardtm chemical seals. The Pepper Punch was more likely to work as advertising for the AirGuard seal than help you at all.

According to your old tactics training, you could image exactly how the two Firewatch squads would be lined up inside. there would be four of them stalking hallways in sets of two, video streaming to the corner of the rest of the team's HUDs. Six would be on package duty. Two more would be on perimeter watch, high-powered rifles watching for long-range assaults, and the last four would be watching their escape route, whatever that was. It was hard to guess what they had for an escape plan, but Firewatch SOP dictated at least two viable escape options on any package-based plan, so it was entirely possible they'd try to bug out with the hostages when things got loud.

For approaches, the air drop was a Firestorm classic, rappelling in, so they might see that one coming. If the rest of your team could be deathly-silent in their armor, the best play might be to slip in a side door quietly before things got out of hand. They were, after all, prepared for frontal assaults, but an assault coming from inside before they were alert and aware would be a different beast altogether. Then again, it meant everyone here would have to be mouse-like in their stealth, and that might not be feasible.

The sergeant nods and spits away more tobacco-colored saliva. "Sounds like you're looking at the water main or a helicopter in. Sure you can all handle that parachute fun? Got any other questions or details? Need any prep time before we move out? We got maybe ten minutes."

Shiner names a place called 'Cowboys', a dance hall where they served her kind of beer, and told you she'd be there at eleven. And said something about pregaming as she hung up.

You start making plans with Nina and head for the cafe, but about a block down the street your deck of cards buzzes. In the corner of your HUD, three Clubs appear, the 2, 3, and 7, Saeder-Krupp heavy hitters. Then you see them, three large, 'wared-out soldiers, eating at the corner bar, working on a full, spitted lamb between the three of them. They're exchanging German and drinking lots of beer, seemingly happy, as you give them a second glance. The second time you look, however, one is staring back at you with his inhuman, solid emerald-green eyes. That was the seven, a man called Magnus Nebe, who allegedly held the Saeder-Krupp SSG training course record. The other two were low-level mooks, SSG graduates on their first time out in the desert. They men were armed, and you could plaining see the submachine guns, H&K, hanging on their hips. That was a scene waiting to happen. You'd probably never get as clean a shot at them, and certainly never get another one without each of them in full-body armor.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mr. White returns the glare that Mr. Nebe is giving him. He starts walking up to them whilst sends a mental comm to Franz, encrypted for his eyes only. [Efretti, Shaitain here. I recall something about you being very fond of Saeder Krupp. I happen to have 3 of their finest right in front of me while I was walking to the Chat. These guys are like a block or two off base not far, place is called Baba's Bar and Grill. I'm going to make sure they stick around, you just bring your best smile. And of course, you'll be compensated.] Well they are all soldiers and he might as well get acquainted with the gentlemen and keep them hanging about. Mirrorshades reflecting the neon blue glue of the bar's sign as he steps on in. "Do I know you? Cause you are sure looking at me like you know me!" Tony says breaking the ice in a very cocky manner. "Where are my manners, Tony White, Ares Desert Wars team. Hows it going gents?" Tony says offering a hand shake to Mr. Nebe in particular. He also scopes out the rest of the bar on his approach and when he steps in. Gotta maintain SA (Situational Awareness).

Etiquette (Default): 2d6t5 1 :laffo:
Perception: Visual (Mirrorshades): 13d6t5 5

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 27, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Matches

Matches looks less then thrilled about an airdrop, his unusual weight and size made him pretty loving suspect that any chute made for an average ork would be suited for him.

If it's all the fuckin same, I'll rather take the fuckin water main path in if we aint looking to blow ourselves a door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViscerusIgnea
Mar 21, 2014
Franz Talhoffer

At the Training Meet
"I suggest zat ve go in through ze vatervay, AND blow ourselves a vay in. Firevatch are expecting an aerial drop, or an assault. What ve do, is ve sneak in ze side, and open fire on zem zere, and zen Matches? You make everysing get loud. Massive explosion, combined vith an assault from Team A should let us breach ze room, secure ze hostages, and neutralize ze enemy."

Franz sketches out a brief play in AR, making sure everyone understands the play.

"Any questions?"

IN THE FUTURE
[I'll be zere. Keep zem occupied, and get ze biggest vuns back to ze door. Ifritti out.] Franz sighs, and downing the last of his energy drink, and chucking it into the trash, sets his cyberarms into warmup mode. "Ah, business. How you run me ragged."

• Locked thread