Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Hahaha, to get to Pripyat in LA you have to go through an underground tunnel and, when you emerge, you get right into a Mil vs Mon fight. Sound familiar to anyone? The last underground location seems really familiar as well.

Although I hope I find freedom soon, since I've met one of them, and that was scripted. Seems really weird having tons of Duty around without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I am trying to play through Call of Pripyat for the first time right now. I forgot how much fun these games could be. I beat SoC years ago and loved it, but never finished Clear Sky or CoP.

I am playing on the hardest difficulty and I just had a fun time with that quest early on in the game where you try to steal info from the mercenary base. I upgraded an L85 with a 4x scope and used it to shoot down a couple of their guards wandering around the perimeter, then the rest of them came out after me. There was a running gunfight and they chased me away from the compound, but I was able to slip away and sneak into the compound from the back and steal the info while they were out looking for me. I could hear grenade detonations around my previous positions as I was sneaking into the back. I like how you can trick them like that.

Monolith. posted:

The nights are incredibly dark, especially if you use Full Dynamic Lighting. Make sure you get the scope changer as well as the default scopes look terrible and are mostly all washed out. The weather goes from clear and sunny to very rainy to incredibly foggy and when its night it gets extremely dark.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/autumn-aurora-compilation-mod/addons/alternative-scopes-for-autumn-aurora-2

Why do so many mods do that? The AI has no trouble seeing and shooting at me from pretty far away at night - why would you want to make it impossible to see them when they can see you?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
To my knowledge only two mods do dynamic enemy sight. SGM for Pripyat and OGSE for SoC.

Not even Misery does it, despite what their fictional patch notes say.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
So this mod is on the way and inspired by Stalker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOg0BhlIvyQ
:aaa: when you get to 45 seconds and realise what game this is a mod for.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Ha, that's loving cool. In the comments the modder explains some of the weirder hacks he had to do to implement effects like camera shake and motion blur in that engine, really fascinating stuff:

quote:

The Y rotation on the camera is a bit of a hack. Basically the player is looking down at a CamTexture on the floor, which is projecting the players true position/rotation on it. The Y rotation is then handled by rotating this camera with SetActorAngle.

This trick allows for many more awesome hacks, such as the motion blur, which is 16 stacked 3D floors on top of this floor CamTexture with transparency. Things get a bit tricky after that as there are 16 other cameras projecting the image on 16 stacked 3D floors, and they all need to have different offsets depending on the players velocity to achieve the motion blur. Its a bit tricky to explain, even I can't get my head around how it works anymore!

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
Just now found out that LA was released. Took a break from stalker waiting patiently on Ddraig's SoC labor of love and/or ogse 0293. Unfortunately I saw that the ogse guys have opted not to release an English version for 0293 which really sucks because it was looking quite awesome. I've had trouble getting their global illumination and npc flashlights to work, and I *really* wanted to see some of the removed zones added back in (without some of the crazier mods like Stalker Soup, etc).

I saw that the LA guys apparently released another patch recently. Is it getting better? I was watching a LP today and the world design is what I had always wished Stalker would look like. One of my favorite parts of the setting (and horror type games in general) are regular unassuming farm like areas and abandoned infrastructure. The swamp is one of my favorite areas just because the background makes it look so vast and natural.

Long story short...my game backlog has grown again and I'm starting to feel that old fashion itch to venture back into the Zone. :shepicide:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Fosson posted:

Just now found out that LA was released. Took a break from stalker waiting patiently on Ddraig's SoC labor of love and/or ogse 0293. Unfortunately I saw that the ogse guys have opted not to release an English version for 0293 which really sucks because it was looking quite awesome. I've had trouble getting their global illumination and npc flashlights to work, and I *really* wanted to see some of the removed zones added back in (without some of the crazier mods like Stalker Soup, etc).

I saw that the LA guys apparently released another patch recently. Is it getting better? I was watching a LP today and the world design is what I had always wished Stalker would look like. One of my favorite parts of the setting (and horror type games in general) are regular unassuming farm like areas and abandoned infrastructure. The swamp is one of my favorite areas just because the background makes it look so vast and natural.

Long story short...my game backlog has grown again and I'm starting to feel that old fashion itch to venture back into the Zone. :shepicide:

:rms: Basically, there are a couple of official patches and unofficial patches, if you venture further back a page or two, they are linked, essentially; it looks fantastic, plays very well, even vehicles work almost coherently, but it can feel a little desolate and sparse.
The plot is pretty odd, but some of the defects in stuff can probably be attributed to them being "forced" into releasing early.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

staberind posted:

:rms: Basically, there are a couple of official patches and unofficial patches, if you venture further back a page or two, they are linked, essentially; it looks fantastic, plays very well, even vehicles work almost coherently, but it can feel a little desolate and sparse.
The plot is pretty odd, but some of the defects in stuff can probably be attributed to them being "forced" into releasing early.

That's what I thought. I read through the past 12 pages earlier at work and haven't really been home to research more so I'm basically at the "renewed obsession" phase before walking back into the Zone. I think I will just reread again, I thought I saw something where the A-Life was set to a much shorter range of activating.

That, bugs, and tunnels! I have to say though, working at an old uranium enrichment plant, there are a lot of tunnels in the Cold War era structures. Here's hoping to the increase/fix of the A-Life and addition to the sparse areas though.

I kind of wondered if they were going for a less is more on the mutant wildlife (ogse and some other mods seem to make them too abundant), but certainly everyone would expect stalkers and groups searching and fighting over areas.

I wish my office thin client at least had sound, but I watched on my downtime today, skipping around until he was almost through Agroprom and had scoured the Military building. The plot as far as text seemed pretty good and stalker-ish, though I remember one goon saying that it kind of...uh, loses itself a bit.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Kenzie posted:

Why do so many mods do that? The AI has no trouble seeing and shooting at me from pretty far away at night - why would you want to make it impossible to see them when they can see you?

I have no idea. Sometimes it seems to work if you have a silencer on but other times you just get blasted from the darkness.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Fosson posted:

... though I remember one goon saying that it kind of...uh, loses itself a bit.

Well, yeah, it has bent the original premise of the game, I don't disagree with their ideas of, for instance, explaining the origins of some mutants,
however the process was a bit fumbling & made my brain itch, while still impressing me a little, with custom animations.
Overall, so far, I'm very impressed with a lot of stuff, however, I think "less is more" wrt "explaining" some of the zones mutants.
plot wise I still have quite a bit to go, having restarted a couple of times, so maybe it makes more sense later as stuff comes together.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I mainly like exploring poo poo. Which is why I have yet to finish Fallout 3 after all these years - something new comes to my attention while I walk the Waste. :v:

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Oberleutnant posted:

Good lord. I heard the sound and said to myself, "No. I'm mistaking that from something else. What other game uses that?" But unbelievably, outrageously, it's from that engine. No loving way.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

So after getting stuck in Lost Alpha due to a glitch (namely, that the game CTD whenever I come within 500 meters of the sin guy I have to deliver documents to) I decided to put it down and wait for the next patch. Instead I picked up Misery 2.1 for the very first time!

I booted it up, decided to get into a tussle with some snorks and was immediately killed in 2 hits. Alright, let's avoid them. Got to Skadovsk and took the anomaly quest from Beard. Managed to slip into the ship, grab it and meet up with the bandits that wait for you outside. Got into a firefight with them, dying probably a dozen times before finally managing to kill them all without suffering any grievous damage. Looted their corpses and ran back to Skadovsk where I promptly dropped dead as I walked through the door because the artifact was irradiating me and I neglected to buy any sort of artifact container. Reloaded and sprinted again, hurriedly giving Beard the artifact before spending around 30% of my cash buying cigarettes to chain smoke in order to get rid of the radiation.

Basically what I'm saying is vanilla Stalker games slap you in the face for making stupid decisions. Misery, on the other hand, will break a bone for each mistake you make and then call you a bitch for not manning up and continuing anyway. I loving love it :allears: but I can totally see why it would turn some people off.

Also, is there any moderately cheap way for me to repair my heavily damaged (~45% durability) armor and headgear or am I honestly just better off buying new ones? I like the whole new repair system they've set up but I really wish I'd known about it when starting cuz I let my gear get 9 kinds of hosed up before I realized how difficult repairing it would be.

Oberleutnant posted:

i kind of had it figured as an mid-90's engine from the start due to how blocky the level layout was but goddamn, that looks absolutely spectacular.

Also, just occurred to me; Do "flatness" upgrades for weapons improve damage as well or is that misremembering something? I figured it's boosting bullet velocity, should probably improve damage a bit so...am I wrong?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Also, just occurred to me; Do "flatness" upgrades for weapons improve damage as well or is that misremembering something? I figured it's boosting bullet velocity, should probably improve damage a bit so...am I wrong?

As far as I can remember, it just means the round becomes more accurate at longer ranges - you don't have to gently caress with aiming above the target as much. Kinda like below. Maybe they modify the rifling :confused:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Flatness would be so you don't have to arc the round as much. Compare base flatness of a VSS to one with the 30%+ flatness; the arc becomes much less.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Kind of related:

Nature's documentary on the Zone

See how many stock sounds used in this documentary also show up in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (I counted 3)

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
It has been awhile and I wanted to play CoP again. Did they ever unfuck Misery v2 or did they continue down that inane road away from the first version? A million random items and combat not being short and vicious like version one completely turned me away from the initial release.

Or is SGM more stable now? Last time I tried playing 2.2 it was pretty uh...whacky. The mutant wave event and uncle yars quest were still buggy and corrupting and the new zones were unfinished or buggy or something (I recall an item you couldn't actually find.)

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

InequalityGodzilla posted:

So after getting stuck in Lost Alpha due to a glitch (namely, that the game CTD whenever I come within 500 meters of the sin guy I have to deliver documents to) I decided to put it down and wait for the next patch. Instead I picked up Misery 2.1 for the very first time!

I booted it up, decided to get into a tussle with some snorks and was immediately killed in 2 hits. Alright, let's avoid them. Got to Skadovsk and took the anomaly quest from Beard. Managed to slip into the ship, grab it and meet up with the bandits that wait for you outside. Got into a firefight with them, dying probably a dozen times before finally managing to kill them all without suffering any grievous damage. Looted their corpses and ran back to Skadovsk where I promptly dropped dead as I walked through the door because the artifact was irradiating me and I neglected to buy any sort of artifact container. Reloaded and sprinted again, hurriedly giving Beard the artifact before spending around 30% of my cash buying cigarettes to chain smoke in order to get rid of the radiation.

Basically what I'm saying is vanilla Stalker games slap you in the face for making stupid decisions. Misery, on the other hand, will break a bone for each mistake you make and then call you a bitch for not manning up and continuing anyway. I loving love it :allears: but I can totally see why it would turn some people off.

Also, is there any moderately cheap way for me to repair my heavily damaged (~45% durability) armor and headgear or am I honestly just better off buying new ones? I like the whole new repair system they've set up but I really wish I'd known about it when starting cuz I let my gear get 9 kinds of hosed up before I realized how difficult repairing it would be.

i kind of had it figured as an mid-90's engine from the start due to how blocky the level layout was but goddamn, that looks absolutely spectacular.

Goddamnit when are they going to patch LA? i want to play it damnit!

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Synnr posted:

It has been awhile and I wanted to play CoP again. Did they ever unfuck Misery v2 or did they continue down that inane road away from the first version? A million random items and combat not being short and vicious like version one completely turned me away from the initial release.

Or is SGM more stable now? Last time I tried playing 2.2 it was pretty uh...whacky. The mutant wave event and uncle yars quest were still buggy and corrupting and the new zones were unfinished or buggy or something (I recall an item you couldn't actually find.)

AFAIK:
The Misery devs themselves haven't totally unfucked v2, though there's at least been some patches (both official and unofficial) trying to address those problems. Maybe give it a shot? I was never much into Misery so I can't really comment on its recent developments.
SGM 2.2 is still completely botty-hosed. It ran relatively well for me, but there have been posts in this thread reporting a very unstable experience, so YMMV. I would say either go into 2.2 expecting a bug/crash every second, or playing v1.7--the more stable version--instead. FWIW, I havne't played 1.7, but found more than a few parts of 2.2 to be really irritating. I'd guess 1.7 is at least more bearable?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
2.1 was actually really stable and fun for me.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Misery is hosed and will be for the foreseeable future. If you're one of the lucky ones it happens to work perfectly for, that's great, but they've routinely lied about patches, implemented features and how they work since 2.0. I can tell you personally that half of the fixes they supposedly put into 2.1 they simply haven't bothered. I routinely get angry messages on moddb where people are blaming me for not fixing issues in 2.1 where my fixes have supposedly been implemented but haven't.

The developers are also content to stick their fingers in their ears and ignore legitimate problems because they personally haven't encountered them, therefore they do not exist. I would get a routine crash when looting mutants. Told MDT, promptly got told 'this doesn't crash, shut up'.

It was only when every single Russian player using a Russian version of the game said the exact same thing as me that they realised there was a serious fault in that script and their fix was to use the English version of the game.

I'm slightly annoyed with them, if you can't tell.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
I'm wondering what kind of Jim Jones hold their leadership maintains over the team, or if each person really believes that lying about their fixes is the proper course of action?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Misery is one of the most unfun mods besides Zone of Alienation.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It goes way beyond fixes. Even fundamental mechanics don't work like they say they do. That piece of info about keeping your weapon holstered or people will shoot at you?

Complete bullshit. I've scoured every single script and not come across any mechanic like that. What actually happens is that every smart terrain will spawn one of two versions of a squad, one that is always hostile to the player and one that isn't. So reputation or common sense means gently caress all as the RNG could just make it that every single stalker squad not hostile or hostile, hence the wildly conflicting reports of difficulty. All those smug fuckers who say it's not as hard as other people say probably ran into a situation where the RNG favoured them.

You can keep your gun out at all times and if people shoot at you its because they always were going to, not some vague mechanic that doesn't actually exist.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So what STALKER mods are worth it if Misery is a piece of poo poo and Lost Alpha is very buggy and unpolished?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I always liked the Complete mods for SoC, CS and CoP, they're just compilations basically, but are pretty thoroughly done and were always very stable and un-buggy.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So what STALKER mods are worth it if Misery is a piece of poo poo and Lost Alpha is very buggy and unpolished?

The OP links to some good mods. I personally really enjoyed OGSE; it's one of those crazy "everything and the kitchen sink" Russian mods, but it's still very well done.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Autumn Aurora 2, Complete 2009(2012), maybe Priboi Story Overhaul for Shoc. OGSE (http://www.moddb.com/mods/old-good-stalker-evolution) as well. It's a little tough and it plays differently every time.

I hate Clear Sky but this mod is very stable and pretty cool: http://www.moddb.com/downloads/stalker-clear-sky-mod-pack-2012

Arsenal Overhaul 2.2, SGM 1.7 (http://www.igniferous.net/SGM/ i used the Blackbyte Edition Full).

Always read the README of your mod. I verify my integrity of the cache to make sure my game is clean whenever I install a new mod.

E: In OGSE, good luck with the very beginning. I have no idea how to make the Hind do its thing and how Sid gets triggered to give you the second quest. You'll probably end up getting shot by the chopper a bunch until it triggers. OGSE is also really cool cause you can configure the hell out of the mod with a built in config too that launches each time you open the game.

Monolith. fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 26, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Trying to play Lost Alpha and it keeps CTDing with this error:

Expression : m_foot_bones[leg_type] != BI_NONE
Function : CStepManager::get_foot_position
File : step_manager.cpp
Line : 196
Description : foot bone had not been set

Anyone have any idea what the hell this means?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

AFAIK:
The Misery devs themselves haven't totally unfucked v2,
SGM 2.2 is still completely botty-hosed.

Ddraig posted:

Misery is hosed and will be for the foreseeable future.

Well that blows, I was hoping to play around with something again. I'm a bit tired of the base game and literally don't care at all about all these weapon texture modpacks I keep finding on moddb. Welp!

Monolith. posted:

Misery is one of the most unfun mods besides Zone of Alienation.

Well I fully admit I never found anything quite enjoyable in version two, but besides fiddling with the merchant values in version one, I quite enjoyed that one. I just don't get why they went so far away from that in the second version.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
One thing about the Misery fan base is that it loves rape!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-misery/forum/thread/women-in-the-zone

There are no women in the Zone because of :biotruths:

Then there was that excellent piece someone wrote about their personal back story for the Black Road where Degtyarev is robbed and raped by a group of bandits because they gonna gently caress you til you love them.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

bunnielab posted:

Trying to play Lost Alpha and it keeps CTDing with this error:

Expression : m_foot_bones[leg_type] != BI_NONE
Function : CStepManager::get_foot_position
File : step_manager.cpp
Line : 196
Description : foot bone had not been set

Anyone have any idea what the hell this means?

It's a well known bug. Probably be fixed with the upcoming patch, or you could use the Serious fixes.

e: Direct link: https://mega.co.nz/#F!w5MlySqT!_u_55fpb5eDMebhjnllVoQ

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

One thing about the Misery fan base is that it loves rape!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-misery/forum/thread/women-in-the-zone

There are no women in the Zone because of :biotruths:

Then there was that excellent piece someone wrote about their personal back story for the Black Road where Degtyarev is robbed and raped by a group of bandits because they gonna gently caress you til you love them.

Reminds me of watching a video for a big upcoming ArmA3 mod where for a split second a 'rape' command came up on the action wheel.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Acquire Currency! posted:

Reminds me of watching a video for a big upcoming ArmA3 mod where for a split second a 'rape' command came up on the action wheel.

Hey now, it's a whole new Army now that don't ask don't tell is gone. Soldiers need to get with the program or else. *wink* *wink*

But seriously, why do people have to cross the line like that in every hobby. I think paintball is the only one I have left that hasn't crossed the rape/women are sex slaves line.

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 27, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Does anyone else suffer from stuttering while playing Arsenal Overhaul 2.2?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Ddraig posted:

Misery is hosed and will be for the foreseeable future. If you're one of the lucky ones it happens to work perfectly for, that's great, but they've routinely lied about patches, implemented features and how they work since 2.0. I can tell you personally that half of the fixes they supposedly put into 2.1 they simply haven't bothered. I routinely get angry messages on moddb where people are blaming me for not fixing issues in 2.1 where my fixes have supposedly been implemented but haven't.

The developers are also content to stick their fingers in their ears and ignore legitimate problems because they personally haven't encountered them, therefore they do not exist. I would get a routine crash when looting mutants. Told MDT, promptly got told 'this doesn't crash, shut up'.

It was only when every single Russian player using a Russian version of the game said the exact same thing as me that they realised there was a serious fault in that script and their fix was to use the English version of the game.

I'm slightly annoyed with them, if you can't tell.

For the record, I was talking about SGM 2.1, not Misery. I'm not sure if you were replying to me or not, just thought I'd clear it up in any case.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Azran posted:

Does anyone else suffer from stuttering while playing Arsenal Overhaul 2.2?

It's Call of Pripyat, it does that. Shoker mod didn't stutter too badly but welcome to the Xray engine.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
So now LA crashes when I try to go to the Research center for the first time. It get a popup saying that my video card cant handle the settings and to lower them. But even setting them to min doesnt help. Any ideas?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Considering I do not enjoy a lot of the most simulation-y stuff that you do in Misery (like having to buy a stove to cook your food, the insane amount of useless items, how hosed up the economy is) would I enjoy Misery 1.2? I never really played it so I don't know what's the difference, but if they made a 2.1 version it must mean the original one is really good?

Monolith. posted:

It's Call of Pripyat, it does that. Shoker mod didn't stutter too badly but welcome to the Xray engine.

Oh, alright. Thanks. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun
Arsenal Overhaul - Clear Sky will be released tomorrow.

code:
- Sky Reclamation Project 1.0.3a (unofficial patch)
- Realistic damage to npc's, a shot to the head or neck is a kill, 1-2 hits to the chest kills
- CoP Variation Mod
- Higher quality stock weapon models
- 60 new weapons
- 20 new ammunition types
- Right side ejecting shells for all weapons
- Better gear in stashes
- Reworked recoil to eliminate negative recoil
- Grenades completely removed from Monolith and Bandit loadouts
- Sleeping bag
- 4 new suits
- All new gun sounds
- Improved economy, similar to Call of Pripyat
- Surplus and civilian rifles to start with in the swamps
- New scope overlays
- All npc's rearmed with new weapons and ammunition
- Duty and Freedom propaganda replaced with music
- Duty, Freedom and Mercenaries sell stashes with high value weapons and ammo
See the features page for the full list of weapons: http://www.moddb.com/mods/arsenal-overhaul-clear-sky/features/aocs-features