Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Well I think the reason most of us like these guys is you wouldn't really call them 'let's players' in most of the way we'd think of it. I mean for one it's a team instead of one person, and even then most of the video is, say, Mat yelling at Pat to use the rocket launcher while Pat yells about how Ashley needs to stop wiggling so he can shoot her free because girls are probably watching. It's not just a dude going 'yea so this is the castle level, it's kinda hard...' then ten minutes of awkward silence as he clacks buttons.

So it's a let's play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The non-machinima full playthroughs pretty much are let's plays by the standard definition. It's just that they, despite being popular (the hypest channel on youtube, even), don't fall into the usual crap most YouTube LPers do like pointless facecams et cetera.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Lets plays.... but good

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I'm assuming part of it is that they're not part of Polaris or whatever the big youtuber network is now, so they can just pick the games they like to play instead of getting mandates that Wildstar or Dead Space 3 are the new things to be promoting or whatever.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CJacobs posted:

The non-machinima full playthroughs pretty much are let's plays by the standard definition. It's just that they, despite being popular (the hypest channel on youtube, even), don't fall into the usual crap most YouTube LPers do like pointless facecams et cetera.

Yea I wasn't trying to legitimately create some kinda definition for how they're different from a let's play as a concept, more for how they're different from most of their peers in the let's play/video game kinda things.

Basically the main difference I can think of is that pretty much them and Giant Bomb are the only dudes I'd watch play an entire JRPG without skipping an episode, because even in boring grindy things they're probably gonna be funny about it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They're one of the few popular youtubers that are willing to scrap 90% of a game for one video. I can imagine their latest FF8 run would've been a full LP by most others.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I doubt they subjected themselves to all of FF8 for a 45 minute joke video. I imagine they had a bunch of save files at various points of the game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wiseblood posted:

I doubt they subjected themselves to all of FF8 for a 45 minute joke video. I imagine they had a bunch of save files at various points of the game.
Didn't they have 128 of every card except the unique ones? They probably used the Debug Room or some other Gameshark chicanery.

Also, new podcast is up!

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

AXE COP posted:

I'm assuming part of it is that they're not part of Polaris or whatever the big youtuber network is now, so they can just pick the games they like to play instead of getting mandates that Wildstar or Dead Space 3 are the new things to be promoting or whatever.

They make videos for Machinima, but I guess they're lenient on what they can put in.

"The Xbox One, made better with the Kinect!"
*real video starts*
"gently caress THE KINECT"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm actually surprised they can even have a personal channel, because Machinima is absolute hell to work with. Their demands are very unrealistic and they're super restrictive in what they will allow you to make. The Freeman's Mind dude, Ross Scott, actually moved closer to the Machinima offices so that he could work with them and then when he found out that they were taking advantage of him, he was stuck in his contract with them and couldn't make any more episodes of Freeman's Mind until he figured out a way to get out of it. They kept changing his contract without even telling him:

quote:

I will say that in my opinion this was NOT a good contract in terms of rights regarding my videos. It would have turned over so much control to Machinima.com that I don’t think I could sign it even if I was just starting off today. Machinima.com’s standard contract has changed a LOT since I first signed with them and I advise anyone considering signing up with them to read it thoroughly AND get some sort of legal advice. You might be amazed with what it says they can do.

quote:

I was only told of the new contract changes by ACCIDENT (I found out later I was supposed to have been informed in November). I didn’t find out about much bigger changes to Youtube and monetization until January (which was also supposed to have been told to me in November).

Until this was finally resolved yesterday, this whole situation has been an ongoing nightmare for me. My income has crashed, I was stuck in limbo waiting on vital information from Machinima and it felt like everything was moving in slow motion.

Meanwhile, fans have been pissed because there are no new videos and I’ve been gradually running out of money. I couldn’t release new videos because the terms had changed and I didn’t have a new offer yet. I couldn’t leave and put videos elsewhere because I needed to hear what their offer was and if there wasn’t proper communication with Machinima.com, they could come shut me down, thinking I was violating my contract, even though I was waiting on them!

Ross Scott's contract basically said that Machinima owned the rights to Freeman's Mind, and his ability to make videos about Half-Life, and all Accursed Farms videos from thereon, even though Accursed Farms is his personal endeavor and isn't related to Machinima at all. They're pretty much scumbags. I think most of the reason the Best Friends get away with as much leniency as they do is because they have a variety show in which they play different games each week, instead of a single episode-driven show like Freeman's Mind.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 27, 2014

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

The end theme to the newest podcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0gRAvY2FPM

It kicks rear end but I strongly disagree with the notion that Full Frontal isn't a massive chode who shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Char.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Just listened to the podcast. Man, Liam never struck me as a hard line anti-drug guy, but I guess it kind of makes sense in retrospect.

Clip-On Fedora fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 31, 2014

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Just listened to the podcast Man, Liam never struck me as a hard line anti-drug guy, but I guess it kind of makes sine in retrospect.

He keeps his body pure and healthy with the pursuit of wild game and moe. I haven't listened yet, but I assume Pat would have the most nuanced position, since he studied psych and would understand the most about psychoactive substances and addiction.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Just listened to the podcast Man, Liam never struck me as a hard line anti-drug guy, but I guess it kind of makes sine in retrospect.

His main point was that dumb "farmvile but with weeeeed" things are lazy and may be not worth holding as examples of evil censors.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

CJacobs posted:

I love that the two (I think, Outlast and Amnesia 2) times they used facecams, they pretty much agreed "The facecam was loving pointless".

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

His main point was that dumb "farmvile but with weeeeed" things are lazy and may be not worth holding as examples of evil censors.

Isn't Liam usually the first one to defend ~artistic expression~ in japanese games?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He then goes on to say "Just don't make games about drugs because that's artistically void." That's not paraphrasing. Dude's got some weird issue on drugs. Apparently you can't have a thing about drugs or the people around them (unless it's good but then it's not actually about drugs). From the way he was talking the farmville bit seemed like the least important part of it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He then goes on to say "Just don't make games about drugs because that's artistically void." That's not paraphrasing. Dude's got some weird issue on drugs. Apparently you can't have a thing about drugs or the people around them (unless it's good but then it's not actually about drugs). From the way he was talking the farmville bit seemed like the least important part of it.

I'm almost positive he was saying 'just' about drugs, or at the very least he meant to because yea 'farmville but with weeeed man' is artistically void, as is 99% of 'stoner art' bullshit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been listening to the super best friend cast back catalog starting from the beginning at work when I don't have a bombcast or idle thumbs to listen to, and I've recommended it to a bunch of folks

I'm sure this is the Patrick Klepek Sucks of SBFP but I really, really don't like Liam compared to Matt Pat and Woolie. It could be the really bad anime he likes and can't stop talking about ever (and of course he dislikes One Piece), or brings up poo poo like loving Rapelay in conversation(Pat's reaction to it might be one of my favorite moments so far though), isn't funny, and the topics he brings up are fairly dull. He also just doesn't have that enthusiasm in his voice the other three do whenever they speak. I haven't watched many SBFP videos in a long time so maybe he's better when playing a game, but he's kind of a drag in the podcast for me. Maybe he gets better, I'm still in the early episodes, but as of where I am in the back catalog he doesn't feel like a fit in the crew.

Rest of it is super good though and the enthusiasm of the crew is ridiculously infectious. I've gotten a lot of belly laughs from it so far, like classic bombcast episodes. Good stuff.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like all of the best friends but I think Matt might actually be my least favorite, if only because he does that thing annoying people do where they imitate something that has just been said and laugh at their own memes. When he isn't doing that he's fine. I find Liam's taste in anime to be odd, but acceptable. His opinions on non-anime things are a little weird but I like videos where he's paired up with Woolie.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah this is mostly just based on listening to the podcast. Though I've been watching their Shut Up and Jam play through and it is pretty great so far, and Liam isn't super annoying in that.

I like Matt most as a sidekick to Pat. The classic duo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Having watched his bomb-rear end review series I can say that most of Matt's insufferable-ness comes out when he's on his own but thankfully that doesn't happen very often. It's not a big complaint, I just don't think the guy is as funny as he thinks he is.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you haven't already checked, their David Cage Trilogy is probably everything that makes them awesome. Their Persona 4 run, if you will (And I think all 3 games LPed is still lower than P4).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been listening to the super best friend cast back catalog starting from the beginning at work when I don't have a bombcast or idle thumbs to listen to, and I've recommended it to a bunch of folks

I'm sure this is the Patrick Klepek Sucks of SBFP but I really, really don't like Liam compared to Matt Pat and Woolie. It could be the really bad anime he likes and can't stop talking about ever (and of course he dislikes One Piece), or brings up poo poo like loving Rapelay in conversation(Pat's reaction to it might be one of my favorite moments so far though), isn't funny, and the topics he brings up are fairly dull. He also just doesn't have that enthusiasm in his voice the other three do whenever they speak. I haven't watched many SBFP videos in a long time so maybe he's better when playing a game, but he's kind of a drag in the podcast for me. Maybe he gets better, I'm still in the early episodes, but as of where I am in the back catalog he doesn't feel like a fit in the crew.

Rest of it is super good though and the enthusiasm of the crew is ridiculously infectious. I've gotten a lot of belly laughs from it so far, like classic bombcast episodes. Good stuff.

None of them like One Piece fyi. I remember when Matt and Pat played Way of the Samurai 4 they talked about how poo poo they thought the art was and so forth. I stand by my statement that Woolie's probably the most boring one on balance. He's certainly responsible for most of the videos I've found boring, like his assorted terrible retro one-off and beat em up videos with Matt or the absolute nadir of their LPs, Fusion. He also is the one that talks the most about fighting games of any of them and I think fighting games are horribly boring 95% of the time.

Or maybe I'm just racist, I dunno. Him and Matt rolling around Magfest was pretty good though (that Merchant bit is amazing).

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
I like Woolie. He's the Ryan Davis of their group dynamic. He's the foundation that keeps their podcast sane and moving. If he wasn't there it would probably be too rambling and aimless (and arguments would even go on longer than they already do).

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Add me to the "not a huge fan of Liam club", but I just can't like his oddly pointless devil's advocate stance of basically everything, which happens to be dumb optimism just because of how soul crushingly pessimistic Pat is. I don't agree with many of their opinions (such as them not liking One Piece or Pat not liking Etrian Odyssey), but I still enjoy listening to them excitedly talk about whatever, but Liam kind of annoys me even in the LPs themselves, he just doesn't seem as excited/energetic/furious about dumb menial bullshit like the rest are.

Pat is probably my favorite especially when paired off with Matt. I like fighting games and Woolie talks about fighting games so I guess I like Woolie, also he keeps the Podcast on-topic. I don't really like Matt's solo stuff, but I like him in the podcast and in the LPs.

Also, who the gently caress decides to keep unironically watching an anime after they've discerned it's most likely going to have lots of incest? Goddammit Liam.

Pat should totally listen to more of the F Plus and talk more about crazy internet bullshit on the podcast.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Liam's my least favorite too, but him chastising Woolie for not calling child protective services when he was complaining about hearing babies crying over Xbox Live might be the funniest moment of any episode of the podcast. Also the video he and Woolie did of FFVIII is fantastic.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 29, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Laim is my 'least favorite' in the sense that literally if I had to rank the SBFP people I'd rank him last. I like a lot of stuff he's done, he has some pretty great deadpan moments that plays well off Pat and Matt's extreme stuff, but yea he has the most moments of the four that make me go 'jesus christ'.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'm watching the Resident Evil 4 playthrough currently, and Pat's descent from obsessively organising his inventory to 'everything out of place all the time' is funny to me every time it happens.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Roach Warehouse posted:

I'm watching the Resident Evil 4 playthrough currently, and Pat's descent from obsessively organising his inventory to 'everything out of place all the time' is funny to me every time it happens.

Truly the lord master of resident evil 4

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Roach Warehouse posted:

I like that it evolved into him doing it out of spite.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I like that it evolved into him doing it out of spite.

"I'm gonna put this grenade right here, this is the most childish reaction."

RE4 is one of the best playthroughs. Honestly, I enjoy the playthroughs of games they LIKE more. Wanna see them do an MGS game.

(e): RE4 Part 14 is amazing, especially when Matt starts eating the carrots. "ARE YOU EATING GRANOLA BARS?" "No, it's carrots and celery." "GIMME A CARROT."

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 31, 2014

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
God I just listened to the podcast. Liam you piece of poo poo you were getting up in arms about the little girl bikinis in bravely default but you'll support the removal of drug-related apps from the store?? gently caress off aaaa

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

AXE COP posted:

God I just listened to the podcast. Liam you piece of poo poo you were getting up in arms about the little girl bikinis in bravely default but you'll support the removal of drug-related apps from the store?? gently caress off aaaa

No but you see the creepy anime girls are artistically importaffaaaaaaarrrrtt.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

AXE COP posted:

Well it's simple. Liam is not okay with drugs, he is okay with little anime girls who are actually of age but look really young because of the art style of the setting.

There's no joke there, it's just kind of hosed up some of Liam's opinions come off because of how much he loves to be contrary/play devil's advocate.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well it's simple. Liam is not okay with drugs, he is okay with little anime girls who are actually of age but look really young because of the art style of the setting.

There's no joke there, it's just kind of hosed up some of Liam's opinions come off because of how much he loves to be contrary/play devil's advocate.

No, his argument was that they could also make changes to stuff that isn't objectively creepy and all the people playing the English version would just never know what the original vision was, so he likes it better when they just don't step on the slippery slope of censorship in the first place.

Of course that's bullshit because the act of translating something requires changing it from the original version since you need to either reword things to keep the meaning or keep the wording but lose the meaning in the engrish, and I'm honestly mad that someone who knows 2+ languages made that argument in the first place.

What I'm saying is, I like Liam and I still say gently caress Liam.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The friends getting into a gigantic 10 minute Tekken Story argument and Matt owning all of them in the end by shouting I WROTE TEKKEN FAN FICTION, WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT TEKKEN?! made me laugh so hard, haha those nerds.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Laim is my 'least favorite' in the sense that literally if I had to rank the SBFP people I'd rank him last. I like a lot of stuff he's done, he has some pretty great deadpan moments that plays well off Pat and Matt's extreme stuff, but yea he has the most moments of the four that make me go 'jesus christ'.

Liam is the only person that can get me to involuntarily say 'jesus loving christ'. Every time he names/defends some dumb moe anime bullshit or talks about the ouya I can't help myself. There was also that time on a mailbag when he mentioned that he eats his food with chopsticks that caused me to roll my eyes into the back of my head.

Liam's still an alright dude and he's pretty funny in most of the videos he's in

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

The friends getting into a gigantic 10 minute Tekken Story argument and Matt owning all of them in the end by shouting I WROTE TEKKEN FAN FICTION, WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT TEKKEN?! made me laugh so hard, haha those nerds.

Not as hard as I did when the argument between Matt and Woolie about which iteration is the best ending with the game making GBS threads the bed TWICE at the perfect moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDvgHkUCCtA

That triple triad LP was pretty good