Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I meet all the other requirements for High graphical settings except RAM - after testing how this was effecting it I found that the game will run just fine until I start moving at speed or a lot of things start happening.

Would upgrading from 6(2x3) gigabytes to 16(2x8) gigabytes help solve this? I assume it would, but asking for more expert opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Geokinesis posted:

The best outfit is the chicago gangster one, mainly because then I imagine him to be a rogue detective tracking down the killers rather than a stupid hacker.

How on Earth do you get the DLC to activate anyway? I preordered and it's as if I got nothing of what I should have gotten.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You should have the option to activate it via the "lovely" uPlay interface, at least that's where I activated mine. But uPlay is pretty badly designed, so there's that.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

How on Earth do you get the DLC to activate anyway? I preordered and it's as if I got nothing of what I should have gotten.

Mine was just in the wardrobe in the hideout. Gangster one is pretty rad but I do dislike how they force the weapons onto you and you can't get rid of them. Finishing the very first mission and suddenly I have a tommygun, a 1991, a revolver. All under my coat.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

I got an email from GAME with the code, I entered the code and the Tommygun was in my weapon select and the outfit was in the wardrobe/shop menu.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Oh man.

Song Unlocked: CREAM by the Wu-Tang Clan.

Ok watch dogs you win you're the best.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, it says my code is claimed, gonna need to submit a support ticket.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

hopterque posted:

Oh man.

Song Unlocked: CREAM by the Wu-Tang Clan.

Ok watch dogs you win you're the best.

wait

wait

how did you do this

please tell me

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

ayn rand hand job posted:

wait

wait

how did you do this

please tell me

It unlocked during a story mission about half way through act 2.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Gonna recommend getting the steam pipe burst as soon as possible. Not only does it look great, but it leads to new ways of escaping

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
How are people finding the keyboard controls? I couldn't stand them almost imediately so I switched to a controller

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Soooo I just hacked into someone's apartment and I'm pretty sure I listened to them kill themselves :stare:

Then, y'know, I stole $200 from their bank account. How do you think we fund this operation? We're not exactly the march of dimes.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Soooo I just hacked into someone's apartment and I'm pretty sure I listened to them kill themselves :stare:

Then, y'know, I stole $200 from their bank account. How do you think we fund this operation? We're not exactly the march of dimes.

If it's the one I think it is it's more bulimia than suicide. There is one that's a straight up suicide attempt though.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Party Plane Jones posted:

If it's the one I think it is it's more bulimia than suicide. There is one that's a straight up suicide attempt though.

Oh yea right, I totally took the gurgling noise to be something else. Well that's sliiiightly less dark I suppose.

Lysdexique
Sep 12, 2010

Let me give you some advice, little buddy.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I got one where I hacked into someone's home and found a body with the description: "Cancer in remission".
Then I hacked the phone and it was a message from the guy's son asking for him to call back and that his grandkids were so excited to see grandpa again for christmas and they even bought him some presents!

It was the most :smith: thing ever.

Gotta say I really like this game so far despite the uplay servers being gangbanged, so it's hard for me to gain access to the historical hot spots since you can't cancel out of it once it starts scanning for a connection.

Lysdexique fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 28, 2014

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Time I got invaded, I shot a gun to try to expose the guy, and it didn't work, I still couldn't find him. Cops get called, we get into a big shootout and I'm just trying to run away at this point, cutting my losses and accepting I'd lose the invasion. An NPC sprints out and gets caught in the cops' line of fire. Player killed, invasion won.

Thanks, cops!

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Since I had not much to do at work, I decided to try out the app thingie. Apparently people really hate it when you chase them all over the map with your doom helicopter, spawning cop cars all up in their face. It's an interesting idea and the design of the thing is pretty slick, but since it uses the uPlay servers it kinda sucks.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Ugh. I've had like, 3 hackers where they haven't actually been inside the circle the game is forcing me to looking in.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Are you sure? Because like if you're on the very edge of the circle it still counts as being in the circle.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

This seems to back up my finding that texture quality is the biggest system hog. I have 3GB video memory (HD7950) and the game automatically picked Ultra textures for me, so I kinda ignored that while fiddling with everything else. Then (after installing the new Radeon drivers) switching to High textures solved any lingering problems and made everything smooth on an ultra/high mix.

http://hardocp.com/article/2014/05/27/watch_dogs_amd_nvidia_gpu_performance_preview/3

TLDR - you need 4GB video memory for ultra textures.

Edit: Although this was at very high resolutions, so I don't know. Ultra textures are very nice, but the performance boost of High is worth it for me. Hopefully AMD can bring our some even better drivers that will allow me to raise the textures.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 28, 2014

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

So now I'm getting invaded constantly. Everyone loves to park in a car ready to make a getaway. Everyone gets grenade launchered.

Yeah buddy you're not going to get it started in time.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

TheSpiritFox posted:

So now I'm getting invaded constantly. Everyone loves to park in a car ready to make a getaway. Everyone gets grenade launchered.

I usually just casually walk up and shoot them right in the face before they can get the car started.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

This game loving owns. Yeah, driving is kind of rough and takes some getting used to. I might try a 360 controller tonight to see if it's better than mouse and keyboard.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Ice Fist posted:

This game loving owns. Yeah, driving is kind of rough and takes some getting used to. I might try a 360 controller tonight to see if it's better than mouse and keyboard.

I found using a controller made it easier as you have more contextual control over go and stop - not just ON and OFF but you can slowly increase speed. Makes it easier for turning.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

This game doesn't make a lot of sense sometimes. I'm just walking along hacking people and sightseeing when some guy runs past with a gun out, stops and then starts shooting at me. I just run away because the game won't let me knock him out and my phone shows no info on him. Seconds later the police search starts going off and the entire police force hounds me until I'm dead :confused:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FallenGod posted:

This game doesn't make a lot of sense sometimes. I'm just walking along hacking people and sightseeing when some guy runs past with a gun out, stops and then starts shooting at me. I just run away because the game won't let me knock him out and my phone shows no info on him. Seconds later the police search starts going off and the entire police force hounds me until I'm dead :confused:

This is realistic because it takes place in Chicago.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

I said come in! posted:

This is realistic because it takes place in Chicago.

There's two things to do in Chicago.

1. Shoot people.
2. Get shot.

Take your pick.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
I like how Aiden is pretty much an indestructible rock-man when it comes to diving out of the car door into oncoming traffic.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

FallenGod posted:

Would this be related to your reputation at all?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

hopterque posted:

Are you sure? Because like if you're on the very edge of the circle it still counts as being in the circle.

No. I'll be in a city square and the other Fixer will be on the other side of the street on the corner outside of the circle. The circle will shrink towards the center of the square and the Fixer is in the same spot still.

Tailing is neat I think. Are you mean to get a notice if you're getting tailed? Also I like ramming/nearly running the Fixer over just as the timer is running out.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
So I had a horrible experience yesterday getting this thing installed (kept going from 6mbps to 1kbps. Once installed, I was able to play about 5 minutes of it then I would crash. Every new game or continue would crash after that. I tried all the internet remedies to fix it but nothing worked (including swapping graphics cards).

Finally, I tried the last remedy that I didn't want to try, delete and redownload the game to the standard Program Files instead of (x86). Doing that fixed my crash to desktop. I think this is the first time I have had to do a work around to make a game work in probably 5+ years. Leave it to Ubisoft.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

TheSpiritFox posted:

I just had this person hiding in the back corner of a coffee shop. Thanks for boxing yourself into a small space with 1 exit.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Daztek posted:

The driving in this game is really easy when you're used to driving in APB:Reloaded.

That explains why I was thinking that the driving was fine and wondering why everyone was complaining about it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The billboard thing makes me laugh so hard. It completely changes the character. What kind of person hacks billboards like that? Autistic batman indeed.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Ahhahaha holy poo poo. Detonating a grenade on a dude and he yells out "TELL MY WIFE..TELL MY WIFE I WAS loving HER SISTER"

Lysdexique
Sep 12, 2010

Let me give you some advice, little buddy.

FallenGod posted:

It's a shoot or get shot world out there.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I've actually been enjoying a lot of the music, but not all of it. It can be pretty hit and miss.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
It has Move On Up by Curtis Mayfield in there. I'm not complaining.
I'm guessing the music theme is music from Chicago?

I like how the game assumes you want to stop Blume agents putting Bounties on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

IchGestalt posted:

I meet all the other requirements for High graphical settings except RAM - after testing how this was effecting it I found that the game will run just fine until I start moving at speed or a lot of things start happening.

Would upgrading from 6(2x3) gigabytes to 16(2x8) gigabytes help solve this? I assume it would, but asking for more expert opinions.

Are you sure its RAM or is it graphical RAM? Big difference. You could be hitting the limits of the ram onboard your graphics card, in which case you're just going to need to buy a new card, no other way to upgrade. If it is main system RAM, then there' still the question of if you're hitting a bottlneck on speed or on size. If you've filled it up, then you're thrashing to hard drive which means its gonna go slow, so getting more will speed it up. But if you aren't full on system RAM, getting more will do absolutely nothing, you'd have to get faster RAM instead.

How many things are running in the background? Try killing every program other than uPlay and Watch Dogs, (especially chrome, its a memhog)

RAM usually doesn't help with games much unless you're too low, 6-8 GB should be plenty. RAM isn't a silver bullet like some gamers seem to think. I think you either need a new GPU (most likely), a new CPU, or faster RAM before you need just more RAM total. You probably need more dedicated graphics RAM though.

Are you just setting everything to "high"? Do you know what the individual settings mean? Try putting it on custom. If the texture quality is what puts you over the edge, its probably graphics ram. Set everything to high and then turn textures to medium. And turn off SSAO completely.

Junkenstein posted:

This seems to back up my finding that texture quality is the biggest system hog. I have 3GB video memory (HD7950) and the game automatically picked Ultra textures for me, so I kinda ignored that while fiddling with everything else. Then (after installing the new Radeon drivers) switching to High textures solved any lingering problems and made everything smooth on an ultra/high mix.

http://hardocp.com/article/2014/05/27/watch_dogs_amd_nvidia_gpu_performance_preview/3

TLDR - you need 4GB video memory for ultra textures.

Edit: Although this was at very high resolutions, so I don't know. Ultra textures are very nice, but the performance boost of High is worth it for me. Hopefully AMD can bring our some even better drivers that will allow me to raise the textures.

Yeah you really don't want to be playing with settings where the game needs more graphical ram than you have, performance is always going to be poo poo in those circumstances, since it has to stream between the gpu and the main ram constantly, which is really slow.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 28, 2014

• Locked thread