Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Ahaha, backpedal on that stern (hoo hoo) conviction, now. That would suddenly be wasting your time, not those initial unprompted paragraphs of bile.

After all, no stand up comedian has ever had to take a dreaded side gig to both make ends meet and further their potential career reach. Nope, if you didn't get there by sheer force of talent and no other job exposure, by gum, you're not for real. I wonder how many of these vaunted t-bowl certified 30 comedians meet that "self-propelled to the top" criteria. Who can honestly claim that, Seinfeld?

I hope Patton Oswalt would be on there as one such list example, because he definitely didn't put in the better part of a decade on a deadeningly unfunny sitcom, until he got a springboard into voicing an animated rat for children. I wonder if fans knew that about him before they started selling out his shows and buying many of his albums??

Jim Norton is a "mediocre" comedian in your eyes and you think he should feel shame because he's used a "sweet radio gig" as a stepping stone. Armed with this knowledge, perhaps you should mail Louis CK and tell him what a lucky fraud this Norton is, and that he should stop being pals with him immediately. You could include a manilla envelope of your sterling printed off posts such as "cry more" and piss poorly justified anonymous internet forum attacks at people you don't know. Swoop right in with that signature t-bowl charm and steal all his walk-on roles! He's so mediocre, how could he stop you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeedRobots
Jul 18, 2006
feedtherobot.com

Ahaha, backpedal on that stern (hoo hoo) conviction, now. That would suddenly be wasting your time, not those initial unprompted paragraphs of bile.

After all, no stand up comedian has ever had to take a dreaded side gig to both make ends meet and further their potential career reach. Nope, if you didn't get there by sheer force of talent and no other job exposure, by gum, you're not for real. I wonder how many of these vaunted t-bowl certified 30 comedians meet that "self-propelled to the top" criteria. Who can honestly claim that, Seinfeld?

I hope Patton Oswalt would be on there as one such list example, because he definitely didn't put in the better part of a decade on a deadeningly unfunny sitcom, until he got a springboard into voicing an animated rat for children. I wonder if fans knew that about him before they started selling out his shows and buying many of his albums??

Jim Norton is a "mediocre" comedian in your eyes and you think he should feel shame because he's used a "sweet radio gig" as a stepping stone. Armed with this knowledge, perhaps you should mail Louis CK and tell him what a lucky fraud this Norton is, and that he should stop being pals with him immediately. You could include a manilla envelope of your sterling printed off posts such as "cry more" and piss poorly justified anonymous internet forum attacks at people you don't know. Swoop right in with that signature t-bowl charm and steal all his walk-on roles! He's so mediocre, how could he stop you!

Wow. Get a load of this Jimmy Norton white knight over here. I'm feeling generous so I'm going to show you how you should have responded to a person's valid discourse:

"Many comedians we consider to be the greatest used exposure from outside the comedy club to get where they are. Patton Oswalt comes to mind as a comedian that is revered by many as one of the greats but really used his near decade long stint on a lovely sitcom and a voice acting gig on a massive film to leverage his name and put asses in seats. So the fact that his role of being incredibly funny on a comedy radio show allowed him to get more people seeing him at comedy clubs and being offered more comedy specials it, well, kind of makes sense."

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Seeing you back down utterly from your seething conviction and attempt to deflect by posting a wacky Big Lebowski quote is satisfying enough resolution for me!

I don't even fundamentally disagree about Norton's standup being not very good. I saw "Monster Rain" long before even listening to O&A and was like "blech, who is this chinless dolt". But his on radio performance when he's on is the work of a clever, talented dude. Raw audio is honestly the best venue possible outside of a stage to find one's audience and start connecting to them before they even decide to buy a ticket, which is why podcasts have become the comedian's best friend in less than a decade despite their inherent lack of profit.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
How about we just agree to disagree?

(Get it, it's a callback)

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Morter posted:

How about we just agree to disagree?

(Get it, it's a callback)
Here's the thing - it'sch already happening!

LOUIE BEANSCHE!!

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Seeing you back down utterly from your seething conviction and attempt to deflect by posting a wacky Big Lebowski quote is satisfying enough resolution for me!

I don't even fundamentally disagree about Norton's standup being not very good. I saw "Monster Rain" long before even listening to O&A and was like "blech, who is this chinless dolt". But his on radio performance when he's on is the work of a clever, talented dude. Raw audio is honestly the best venue possible outside of a stage to find one's audience and start connecting to them before they even decide to buy a ticket, which is why podcasts have become the comedian's best friend in less than a decade despite their inherent lack of profit.

I don't think it is satisfying, and that's the point.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Well, when your low-effort attempt to simultaneously troll and cop out completely backfires on you, I suppose all one can do is...cry more. :roflolmao:

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What a loser, calm down.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Well, when your low-effort attempt to simultaneously troll and cop out completely backfires on you, I suppose all one can do is...cry more. :roflolmao:

Good one, spudsbuckley

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Sorry for starting the latest unbelievably not funny tangent this thread got on.

I am legitimately regretful for this.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm at that point where I can't tell if TheRationalRedditor is trolling or serious.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Call Me Charlie posted:

Good one, spudsbuckley
I can't in good conscience take credit for t bowl's zinger from last page.

Neodoomium posted:

Sorry for starting the latest unbelievably not funny tangent this thread got on.

So why start apologizing now after countless incidences of the mirthless, cyclical RACIST PROVER SQUAD in this thread?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Saw a big post bump in my bookmarks, hoping for maybe some big news or a bunch of poo poo to watch, and instead got this. Random rear end poo poo posting about Jim Norton. I had to reread the whole drat page to even find the context for that giant turd.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 30, 2014

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

The Dave posted:

I'm at that point where I can't tell if TheRationalRedditor is trolling or serious.
I'm posting in good cheer about a topic related to the O&A show.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
I come into these threads thinking..but why the gently caress do you guys fall for redditors shtick? It's played out and an obvious troll.

We all know jim is a funny dude. When I was listening to O&A it wasn't for Opie's insight to being a new father, contract negotiations or Anthony's burgeoning racism. It was to hear Jimmy riff with his friends. His books are pretty funny too. As a comedian, he'd make a living but without the radio show he wouldn't be burrs level. He'd be a road warrior like Otto, going to obscure places in in jersey and New Hampshire etching out a living. He's filthy, his current event angles are not really interesting and he's not handsome. He's perfect for radio but other than being a creep on louie, he wouldn't have the success that burr or even bob kelly has on tv. We all see it and T Bowl said it perfectly, you niggas just need to learn how to read

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Neodoomium posted:

Are you sorry you did that?
Are you embarrassed you did that?

StrugglingHoneybun fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 30, 2014

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Jimmy Norton is cool and good :D

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1H-Y7MAASkg#t=85

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG-qCyYZRms

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

End of Life Guy posted:

leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeengerrrrrrrrr looooooooooooooooooongerrrrrrrrrrrrr

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I only listen to the show for Opie's EXTREME fatherly insight.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I listen to old clips of them starting radio wars with other shows, hearing their clips and ridiculing them for talking about their kids. (Ex: Loper and Smitty coming back to Florida)

And then I just start howling.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Shelby's Horse theme song was super awful and great. Only caught the first hour but Big Jay is in today, which is always good.

My Nigga Totoro
Nov 14, 2007

by Lowtax

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

End of Life Guy posted:

I'm sorry I did that
I'm embarrassed that I did that

So why start apologizing now after countless incidences of the mirthless, cyclical RACIST PROVER SQUAD in this thread?

At least one of us is apologizing for wrecking this thread.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

The song lyrics bit today was pure gold.

Who knew AC DC were so racist?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

spudsbuckley posted:

The song lyrics bit today was pure gold.

Who knew AC DC were so racist?

It happened earlier in the show but it is related: Jimmy pretending to be Jimmy Page when listening to Stairway to Heaven was hilarious today.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I absolutely loved the song lyrics bit and the caller that submitted the door closing during the stand alone fruit bit gets a gold star.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Jimmy is really good at improv humor, and that's why he's a god drat genius on the show. His prepared standup material is honestly really lackluster and every time I saw him, he was a thousand times funnier when he was just riffing with the audience than when he's doing his "didya hear about this" jokes.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Tomahawk posted:

Jimmy is really good at improv humor, and that's why he's a god drat genius on the show. His prepared standup material is honestly really lackluster and every time I saw him, he was a thousand times funnier when he was just riffing with the audience than when he's doing his "didya hear about this" jokes.

This is exactly how I feel. I think Jimmy is a hilarious guy, but not so great "comedian." Obviously he makes a living doing it, so my mileage may vary.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Yeah, Jimmy is not as good at stand-up as he is on the show just riffing. He's so focused on current events and news items that all his material gets very dated within a year. He sucks at coming up with a deep premise to explore, probably because his sex addiction has him too preoccupied to deal with any introspection beyond "I'm a horrible piece of poo poo." Bill Burr, Louis CK, and even Patrice have material that isn't dated because they take something we are all dealing with (anger, frustration, kids, racism, men, women, etc) and look at it from a new perspective. Norton's humor focuses on "I hope <insert target> slips in a puddle of AIDS" and "I'm such a depraved piece of poo poo, let me tell you the awful things I do."

Norton is a headliner because of O&A, but his opening acts are usually funnier than him on the road.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
The best example of why Jimmy is great on the radio is any given example of Chip Chippuhthun.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Tomahawk posted:

Artie is basically in the same boat. They both shine doing off the cuff riffing, and kind of lean on the radio notoriety.

Which isn't a knock at all in my book.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I think I like Ron's interviews is because he dause research.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Zeluth posted:

I think I like Ron's interviews is because he dause research.

New thread title.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

gently caress, I'm not caught up. Someone spoil the joke? :shobon:

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Hedging the comment with "I think" and then loving up a basic word, sounds like Fez.

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear
Does anybody know what the era of East Side Dave was on Ron & Fez? I'm hoping to download all the old shows and start with the East Side Dave era...

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

How Much Art posted:

Does anybody know what the era of East Side Dave was on Ron & Fez? I'm hoping to download all the old shows and start with the East Side Dave era...

I think it's like 2006-2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Tomahawk posted:

I feel the same way. Saw him live once and it wasn't bad or anything, but nowhere near as funny as he is on the show.

I also loved the song lyric bit from Friday's show. Their reaction to the AC/DC Highway to Hell playthrough was classic. All of them thinking the guy was full of poo poo and then do a 180 immediately. I'll never hear that song the same way again.

• Locked thread