Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Just was browsing goodwill, found a dreamcast in the misc electronics, checked inside, low and behold fuckin powerstone 2. No label so they ended up going with the default console price of $20. Still not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Dr. Dos posted:

Are there any decent suggestions for new 3rd party controllers? NES and SNES specifically.

New? No, they are all garbage. Buy used. Hori/Ascii have made good ones, but that doesn't help if you're looking for new.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Why would you be looking for a third party controller anyway? Get a first party controller and be happy. You might spend a few extra dollars, but it's worth it man.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Pelican made a pretty decent basic turbo pad for SNES. The buttons have a bit more travel than one might strictly prefer, but I've got no real complaints other than that. Seem to be in the 10-15 range on eBay at the moment.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

ASCIIpads are always a safe bet for SNES, and you can still find NIB ones. For the NES, the Beeshu Zipper isn't hard to find NIB.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

You can find 20 year old boxed SN Pro Pads and Asciipads for $20 or less on ebay, which will actually work as well as let you assign turbo mode to any/all buttons. I like the Pro Pad, as the Dpad and overall controller is a bit oversized compared to the standard SNES controller; it feels more like a genesis controller.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

univbee posted:

Post your last good retro gaming deal

4.99 each at the Salvation Army. They also had Donkey Kong Country and some version of Street Fighter 2 in the same condition, but I only had $25 on me, so I picked out the best ones. And yes, they all were complete with manuals, the map in LttP and posters and all that. I really want to put the map for LttP on my wall at some point, but I don't want to put tacks through it.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 30, 2014

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.

univbee posted:

Crosspost from the retro computing thread:

Awesomonster posted:

In the meantime, my sister found me this at a yard sale:

It came with another box full of things too.

I dunno why the c64 was in the other box and the c64 box has the vic 20 but I'm not complaining!

Everything still had the little leatherette casings and all the cables are there, all for $50.

Bonus :3::

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

You're jut not going to find a good modern third party pad for an old system. There were plenty of great third party controllers made in the days those systems were current, but now it's all going to be cheap Chinese junk. Honestly I avoid first party controllers when I need one, but always go for the good old third party pads, because they might actually be better constructed and usually have more features such as turbo fire.

For NES I like the Hudson/Sansui Joycard or the Hori/Shinsei Hyper Controller. For SNES the Hudson Joycard or ASCII Pad are both great and very easy to find cheap.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

univbee posted:

Just picked up a Tandyvision One for fifty bucks, which is not a big deal in and of itself, but it just happened to come with Beamrider, Pac-Man, The Dreadnaught Factor, and other rare/spendy Intellivision games. :3:

e: ^^^ Yes, the Joycard is one of the best controllers ever made. It is a goddamned pleasure to use.

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 30, 2014

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

d0s posted:

You're jut not going to find a good modern third party pad for an old system. There were plenty of great third party controllers made in the days those systems were current, but now it's all going to be cheap Chinese junk. Honestly I avoid first party controllers when I need one, but always go for the good old third party pads, because they might actually be better constructed and usually have more features such as turbo fire.

For NES I like the Hudson/Sansui Joycard or the Hori/Shinsei Hyper Controller. For SNES the Hudson Joycard or ASCII Pad are both great and very easy to find cheap.

I recently tried a new 3rd party SNES pad. After about half an hour of not being able to abuse the poo poo out of Super Metroid, the controller went in the trash.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Cannot Find Server posted:

I really want to put the map for LttP on my wall at some point, but I don't want to put tacks through it.

You know those little places in box stores where they sell posters, usually with a big 'book' of cased ones on display you can flip through? Usually generic stuff like recent movie/band/swimsuit posters. I find most places that sell those also have poster hangers for sale on the same rack, which are long black plastic rods that safely clip onto the top and bottom of a poster(the bottom being the weigh it down), so you can hang it like a wallscroll. They're pretty great for when you want to not put holes in a poster, although you might want to get two so you can secure both the top and the bottom to the wall instead of just letting it hang and help protecting it against open windows, etc.

Midnight Raider fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 30, 2014

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Get a real frame for it. Hanging it up directly or like a wallscroll will make your room look like it belongs to a 12 year old.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

Get a real frame for it. Hanging it up directly or like a wallscroll will make your room look like it belongs to a 12 year old.

He said, talking about hanging up the map of a video game. :v:

I say that as someone who is extremely 12.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

will make your room look like it belongs to a 12 year old.

Yeah framing that Zelda poster will totally class it up.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

d0s posted:

Yeah framing that Zelda poster will totally class it up.

Yeah, I dunno about that. I do have some kid-esque stuff in my office but I like to pretend it's tasteful

and

Both glow in the dark :3

If you want "adult-esque" posters there's tons that show up on http://411posters.com/ there was even a Zelda set a while back but I missed the sale
http://411posters.com/2013/09/bottleneck-gallery-presents-3nes-show/

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

If you want "adult-esque" posters there's tons that show up on http://411posters.com/ there was even a Zelda set a while back but I missed the sale
http://411posters.com/2013/09/bottleneck-gallery-presents-3nes-show/

Jesus, "adult-esque" is right. I hope you like Princess Zelda with triforces covering her bits in a phone sex ad.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

Jesus, "adult-esque" is right. I hope you like Princess Zelda with triforces covering her bits in a phone sex ad.

Not all of the posters are tasteful, mind you. I guess I should've had that warning

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

RZA Encryption posted:

I already have to be an adult in the real world, I'd at least like my bedroom to preserve my childhood a little bit ok

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Frames make anything look way fancier and better, but I am married to someone who does custom framing for a living so I get sweet discounts.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sorry, I guess it's just more of a pet peeve of mine. I like clean walls! >:-(

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Frames make anything look way fancier and better, but I am married to someone who does custom framing for a living so I get sweet discounts.

I am so jealous. I have three or four posters I want to get framed, but man, the triple-digit prices.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I once got a 60"x40" poster framed (it wasn't a video game poster) and it cost me like $270 and that was after talking the guy down in price.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Allen Wren posted:

I am so jealous. I have three or four posters I want to get framed, but man, the triple-digit prices.

Wow. I have one framed poster, and that's the Zelda 25th Anniversary one with all the various Link incarnations on it. "Only" cost me $50AU to get framed, and it was a custom-made one.

Who the hell are you and what have you done with Miyamoto RGB?
:tinfoil:

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

A Bootleg GBA Cart posted:

I once got a 60"x40" poster framed (it wasn't a video game poster) and it cost me like $270 and that was after talking the guy down in price.

Yeah, it's worth it if you really really care about whatever you're framing, but I still have a number of those "need to frame it... someday" things sitting around because of the cost.

It's somewhat weird that framing this $25 eBay purchase is going to cost 5-8 times as much as the item to get framed:

Also, yes I'm totally 12. My daughter doesn't care about me being a giant manchild because it means we have more toys to play with together. :colbert:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wow. I have one framed poster, and that's the Zelda 25th Anniversary one with all the various Link incarnations on it. "Only" cost me $50AU to get framed, and it was a custom-made one.

That's really cheap for a custom frame, hopefully they did a good job of it.

And yeah, I'd only recommend custom framing for something you really love and want to preserve. If they do it right, you can get glass that protects against fading and materials that are acid-free so it will preserve the paper. Not something you need to do for some print you bought for $10 at a convention, but if you have something unique or autographed that you'd be heartbroken if it got damaged, it's worth thinking about.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

triplexpac posted:

That's really cheap for a custom frame, hopefully they did a good job of it.

It is. It's just a simple black border of wood, but it's very nice and quite solid. I'm just sad the framing shop's now gone, because I've also got a Star Wars: A New Hope poster I wanted to framed at some point :sigh:.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I walked up to my local mom and pop game shop a few minutes ago to snag another WiiU pro controller for Mario kart this evening. As I approached the checkout, I heard a voice call out to me from the display case. I turned to look, and the clouds parted, angels rejoiced, and the sun shone upon what mine eyes spied.

I bought it. I'm suddenly having a very good day.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It is. It's just a simple black border of wood, but it's very nice and quite solid. I'm just sad the framing shop's now gone, because I've also got a Star Wars: A New Hope poster I wanted to framed at some point :sigh:.

Stores that will frame posters shouldn't be hard to find, even if it's not just a framing store. Michael's (an arts and crafts chain) does them as well.

http://www.michaels.com/

Find one near you!

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Vegastar posted:

I walked up to my local mom and pop game shop a few minutes ago to snag another WiiU pro controller for Mario kart this evening. As I approached the checkout, I heard a voice call out to me from the display case. I turned to look, and the clouds parted, angels rejoiced, and the sun shone upon what mine eyes spied.

I bought it. I'm suddenly having a very good day.

I cheaped out and bought the Japanese versions. The whole set, rockman 1-5 cost me less than $40.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

fatpat268 posted:

I cheaped out and bought the Japanese versions. The whole set, rockman 1-5 cost me less than $40.

That's my plan for the SNES titles. I already own Rockman X2, just need to get around to importing 7, R&F, X, X3 and Soccer. Because I'm maybe a little OCD.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

So is there a thread anywhere for discussion of the new Console Wars book? I'm loving the poo poo out of it. I did a forums search that shows no results....but i can't get anything to show up with results so I think my search is busted at the moment.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Vegastar posted:

That's not a bad price, at all. I was able to pick up a complete, with disc, gamecube gameboy player for 19.99 when I took a jog out there. They have a nice, small selection.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
I'm not exactly sure how "retro" it is, but I'd thought I'd ask here anyway. Are there any good third party PS2 controllers? I'd like to get one from my local retro game shop, but they're out of working controllers, and I'd like to buy a console I can actually play, and apparently first party PS2 controllers are rather pricey. For reference, I would rather not pay more then $20-25 for a controller if I don't absolutely have to.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

So is there a thread anywhere for discussion of the new Console Wars book? I'm loving the poo poo out of it. I did a forums search that shows no results....but i can't get anything to show up with results so I think my search is busted at the moment.

We had a brief discussion here which could be summarized with "Average book ruined by obviously stdh dumb as poo poo "dialogue" that was obviously faked." So if you want to pow wow about loving the book I'd probably make a separate thread here or in book barn about it.

Pengu! posted:

I'm not exactly sure how "retro" it is, but I'd thought I'd ask here anyway. Are there any good third party PS2 controllers? I'd like to get one from my local retro game shop, but they're out of working controllers, and I'd like to buy a console I can actually play, and apparently first party PS2 controllers are rather pricey. For reference, I would rather not pay more then $20-25 for a controller if I don't absolutely have to.

Hori, ASCII and Logitech all made decent ones. Pelican, PDP, and Powerwave are all acceptable depending on your hand size.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 30, 2014

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Pengu! posted:

Good news!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Welp, just got an email from Amazon. My Retron 5 will be here next friday. I ordered it when it first popped up on Amazon last September and their listed price was $80 at some point, so that's what my invoice says. I definitely think it's worth it at that price. $140, not so much.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

It's a very exciting night here at the McCracAttack house. I finally have an XE-1 Pro HE arcade stick for the PC Engine. d0s has posted about this before but it was THE PC Engine stick to have back in the day and one of my personal "holy grails". I am super excited to finally have one of my own!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

It's a very exciting night here at the McCracAttack house. I finally have an XE-1 Pro HE arcade stick for the PC Engine. d0s has posted about this before but it was THE PC Engine stick to have back in the day and one of my personal "holy grails". I am super excited to finally have one of my own!

Holy moly that is beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I love how I can tell that's a Micomsoft product just from a glance.

• Locked thread