Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I've liked the dynamic a lot more. In conversations even Lee was mostly helpless, since between Kenny and Lily (and later, Ben) there was a grand total of one way to affect the path of a conversation in all of Season 1 (talking Kenny down in the train). Idiots butting heads always took precedence, because dick Lee would just feed into it and good guy Lee would get shouted down. Then they would all expect him to save the day anyway.

Now it's more stark how this works because they're ignoring a little girl instead of a fully grown man while still expecting her to save the day. At least with ep 3's dillemmas these problems mostly made sense, though. The current dynamic feels more honest to me in that I couldn't understand Lee not losing his poo poo from time to time and using some of his hard-earned influence to make people calm the ever living gently caress down and talk like adults. It would've solved a lot of problems in S1 and might've even kept a few people alive. With Clem being a kid she can play the 'I'm the only one who gets poo poo done' card all she wants, dickbags still gonna dick.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
I've been throwing my lot in with Kenny since season 1. He's hot-tempered, but he's loyal and tough as nails. I've mostly been able to wrangle him, both as Lee and Clementine. Hugged the poo poo out of him when he got up after that beating.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

JayMax posted:

I've been throwing my lot in with Kenny since season 1. He's hot-tempered, but he's loyal and tough as nails. I've mostly been able to wrangle him, both as Lee and Clementine. Hugged the poo poo out of him when he got up after that beating.

I'm betting there's gonna be another Kenny or someone else choice in 4/5 and it will be 90%+ of course. Everyone loves kenny!

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Just caught up on this. Found it to be a pretty good episode overall. Some minor complaints, like Carver's 'we're the same' bullshit falling pretty flat. Clearly Clem is nothing like him, at least mine isn't. Part of why I didn't stay to watch his head get caved in, I didn't want to give the bastard the satisfaction.

Kenny continues to be equal parts awesome and stressful to be around. I find myself backing up his plans a lot more than I did as Lee, even if I don't really agree with them. Mainly because he's the only person I trust to have my back if things go tits up and actually be useful in a survival sense. I tried to persuade him against beating Carver to death (even though I told Luke to shoot him) but I genuinely don't begrudge him his revenge.

I do think the section of 'One Long Day' should have been longer. You move around so much it seems like practically no time has passed, and neither Clem nor anybody else even seems tired by the end considering they were all performing slave labour. I think minigames for loading ammo/cutting branches/hauling nails would have been nice to make it seem like you were actually doing some work, and maybe having a couple more fade-outs to imply the passage of time combined with Clem looking more exhausted every time. I mean these guys were using an 11 year old as forced labour, I don't think you really get the full impact of how crappy that is.

EDIT: Also as a medical student I noticed a slight goof with Carlos' doctoring. The bone around the eye is called the orbit, not the orbital. Also, exactly what did he do to 'stabilize [Kenny] as much as possible' with no drugs or equipment? It's probably just shaky writing rather than having any significance, but its annoying how often this genre assumes doctors have magical healing powers.

jabby fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 24, 2014

JonFM
Oct 3, 2013
Just a heads Up, Someone found the major choices to episode 4 and 5 in the exe.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

jabby posted:

EDIT: Also as a medical student I noticed a slight goof with Carlos' doctoring. The bone around the eye is called the orbit, not the orbital. Also, exactly what did he do to 'stabilize [Kenny] as much as possible' with no drugs or equipment? It's probably just shaky writing rather than having any significance, but its annoying how often this genre assumes doctors have magical healing powers.

I thought that was suppose to show that Carlos might not actually have been a medical doctor like some of the other characters had already suspected, just someone with medical knowledge.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

JonFM posted:

Uhh can we decide whether or not we're going to post them with spoiler tags right now? I post on my phone a lot and have spoilers disabled for convenience, so it'd be good to know if I should turn them back on.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Someone is probably going to post them at some point so unless you want to know that stuff I think you're better off turning tags back on

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
I think we just shouldn't post em, I dunno. I think after people finish an ep they just ignore tags until next release

guess that doesn't matter if someone doesn't follow it

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Kegslayer posted:

I thought that was suppose to show that Carlos might not actually have been a medical doctor like some of the other characters had already suspected, just someone with medical knowledge.

wasn't his thing that he's actually just a vet?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

DrManiac posted:

wasn't his thing that he's actually just a vet?

You're thinking of Herschel Green, from the show/minor cameo in season 1

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

jabby posted:

Considering he got shot in the back of the head at the end of the episode I think you're correct in presuming it has no significance at all. :v:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

JonFM posted:

Whomever decides to post them please mark the spoiler very clearly, most people read spoilers willy nilly in here when they have completed the latest episode D:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Can people just not post them.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Verviticus posted:

I think we just shouldn't post em, I dunno. I think after people finish an ep they just ignore tags until next release

guess that doesn't matter if someone doesn't follow it

Well yeah, ideally nobody posts them but somebody is going to

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Captain Pissweak posted:

Can people just not post them.
This, its not like any one of you are forced to post them at gunpoint. If people want to spoil themselves let them search for it on their own and leave the info out of the thread for the benefit of everybody else that want to go in blind.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 27, 2014

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Clem kills Sansa Stark

Bonnie is a secret Targaryen

Kenny is actually Snape

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Clem kills Sansa Stark

Bonnie is a secret Targaryen

Kenny is actually Snape

Wrong, it's Clementine and Kenny, at Tanagra

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I was unfortunate enough... well actually stupid enough to read the spoilers (I knew what they were and didn't x out of the window and instead kept reading like a loving moron.)

I'm not going to post them, but really don't spoil this for yourself. Some really big shits going down, all I'm saying. It sounds like the entire episode will be the final 5 minutes of episode 3.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

jabby posted:

This is a world where a little girl can have her arm shredded by an rear end in a top hat dog and be perfectly fine the next day. Where a little boy can get shot in the chest and recover in a week. All medicine is magic in this world.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

So... does this count as the Wolf Among Us thread, too? Maybe I'm blind but I don't see one for it anywhere. New episode coming out today, get hype!

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

So... does this count as the Wolf Among Us thread, too? Maybe I'm blind but I don't see one for it anywhere. New episode coming out today, get hype!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574079 here's the Wolf Among Us Thread, but yeah, really excited for the new episode, the trailer was great!

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

This is a world where a little girl can have her arm shredded by an rear end in a top hat dog and be perfectly fine the next day. Where a little boy can get shot in the chest and recover in a week. All medicine is magic in this world.

I kind of want to see Clem's arm. I'm losing track of how long this season has happened over, but she stitched herself up with fishing line. Pretty sure that needs to come out at some point. Really she's extremely lucky it didn't get infected even with the hydrogen peroxide..

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

THE PWNER posted:

I was unfortunate enough... well actually stupid enough to read the spoilers (I knew what they were and didn't x out of the window and instead kept reading like a loving moron.)

I'm not going to post them, but really don't spoil this for yourself. Some really big shits going down, all I'm saying. It sounds like the entire episode will be the final 5 minutes of episode 3.

Please don't do this either! I just lurk this thread after an episode and even saying stuff like this ends up with someone else going "yeah well what about this????" And then it's terrible.

What a episode though!

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I want Kenny not to literally lose his eye but have it stay in his head looking all crazy and hosed up, like make it all white like a walker eye or have the white of the eye blood red like he's some spooky Bond villain or something.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

jabby posted:

I kind of want to see Clem's arm. I'm losing track of how long this season has happened over, but she stitched herself up with fishing line. Pretty sure that needs to come out at some point. Really she's extremely lucky it didn't get infected even with the hydrogen peroxide..

The foaming you see as she disinfects her arm with the peroxide is actually a really bad sign, too. Bacteria only do that if they are lysing the peroxide and protecting themselves from it - vulnerable bacteria simply die without fanfare.

Her wound was certainly not fully clean when she stitched it.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Coolguye posted:

The foaming you see as she disinfects her arm with the peroxide is actually a really bad sign, too. Bacteria only do that if they are lysing the peroxide and protecting themselves from it - vulnerable bacteria simply die without fanfare.

Her wound was certainly not fully clean when she stitched it.

The bubbles are from oxygen being released when peroxide comes into contact with catalase.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
This was kinda expected but looks like we're getting PS4/XB1 ports of both Walking Dead seasons and a retail release of S2 when it finishes:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-30-the-walking-dead-and-the-wolf-among-us-confirmed-for-ps4-xbox-one

Hopefully we'll get crossbuy if you've bought it on Ps3 but I'm not holding my breath.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Junkfist posted:

I want Kenny not to literally lose his eye but have it stay in his head looking all crazy and hosed up, like make it all white like a walker eye or have the white of the eye blood red like he's some spooky Bond villain or something.

I'd rather he stays as Big Boss.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Wiseblood posted:

The bubbles are from oxygen being released when peroxide comes into contact with catalase.

Correct. The specific reaction is 2H2O2 goes to 2H2O + O2, catalase omitted for simplicty's sake. The point is that if peroxide is being lysed to water and oxygen, you are not disinfecting poo poo. Because it is just oxygen and water. If you've got further questions about this dynamic I can explain it on the particle level if need be.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Now this is why I come to gaming forums. I am not being sarcastic. Seriously....Why do I feel like you don't believe me!?

Wings of Mine
Aug 23, 2011
I'm watching this game through a Let's Play, so my knowledge of what goes on is only through the eyes of the player (and supplemented by the Wiki). :)

Do they ever really explain why Carver was so intent on getting the group back? It seemed like a mighty waste of resources for a group he considered to be so...pitiful. I can sort of understand he would want Rebecca and the baby back (though I didn't really buy it), but everything else seems a bit odd to me.

My feelings towards this season are mixed. Season 2 isn't bad; it's definitely darker in tone than Season 1, but the action sequences are great. I just don't really know where Telltale is going with the plot, and to me, there doesn't really seem to be a set goal in mind. With Season 1, the goal seemed primarily to be protect Clementine and get her back to her parents at the Marsh House; through that, the story developed and it became as much as about Lee's journey to give a life, to redeem himself from a life he took, as well. Here, it's just kind of like, Clementine wandering about with no sort of goal in mind, hopping from setpiece to setpiece. I would say maybe the goal is to find Christa, but she hardly is mentioned again after the first episode, and Wellington hasn't been brought up much, either. In fact, I forgot about that too after the first episode. Clementine seems to just have found this group, and is taking on their problems. Why hasn't she left on her own after the shed incident or after it became apparent that Carver was the group's biggest concern?

Can't say I'm not hooked though. Waiting a couple of months between episodes is killing me!

Wings of Mine fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 30, 2014

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I kind of like that there isn't this huge over-arching plot to this or Season 1. The motivations of season 1 could be summed up as Survive/Protect Clem. Season 2 is Survive/Decide what kind of person you are. That's enough for me. And for $25 at most, you really get your bang for your buck with these games.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I haven't finished playing episode three but does every choice in the greenhouse cause Carver to throw the one armed guy off the roof? Because I laughed pretty hard when it happened after I blamed the guy for not showing us how to trim the plants. My Clem was extremely hostile to him and to have that be the end result was pretty messed up.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Call Me Charlie posted:

I haven't finished playing episode three but does every choice in the greenhouse cause Carver to throw the one armed guy off the roof? Because I laughed pretty hard when it happened after I blamed the guy for not showing us how to trim the plants. My Clem was extremely hostile to him and to have that be the end result was pretty messed up.

This is a Telltale game. Anything that isn't a direct result of a specific choice between two people will always be the same.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Spikeguy posted:

I kind of like that there isn't this huge over-arching plot to this or Season 1. The motivations of season 1 could be summed up as Survive/Protect Clem. Season 2 is Survive/Decide what kind of person you are. That's enough for me. And for $25 at most, you really get your bang for your buck with these games.
Yeah, its pretty clear now that the main focus is on what kind of person Clem is going to be. And honestly its a great idea, because there are not many games that use internal conflict as a major focus, it usually just devolves into shooting a bad guy and saving the world.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Call Me Charlie posted:

The other hint that this is unavoidable is that one of the achievements pops up after it happens and basically tells you outright that it is.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Wings of Mine posted:

Do they ever really explain why Carver was so intent on getting the group back? It seemed like a mighty waste of resources for a group he considered to be so...pitiful.

Because he's a power mad control freak and could not tolerate people escaping from him.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

JonFM posted:

Welp it was fun posting here. See you guys in a few months!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Wings of Mine posted:

Do they ever really explain why Carver was so intent on getting the group back? It seemed like a mighty waste of resources for a group he considered to be so...pitiful. I can sort of understand he would want Rebecca and the baby back (though I didn't really buy it), but everything else seems a bit odd to me.

He goes on a bit of a rant at one point about how he wants someone to pass everything on to who can grow up to be another great leader. He also seems like the kind of person who would go after the group just to teach his people that leaving is not an option.

Wings of Mine posted:

My feelings towards this season are mixed. Season 2 isn't bad; it's definitely darker in tone than Season 1, but the action sequences are great. I just don't really know where Telltale is going with the plot, and to me, there doesn't really seem to be a set goal in mind.

See I actually quite like this. In a real apocalypse scenario it's not like someone is going to pop out from the bushes at some point to say 'You Win! Now proceed to live happily ever after.' The zombie and bandit-infested world is all there is. There aren't any goals except those you set for yourself, and they have a tendency to keep getting hosed up.

• Locked thread