Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

tlarn posted:

You really should sack FrankenCastle the next time an opponent's player is killed and zombified, it's ridiculous how he keeps finding excuses to sit out drives.
Hey now, Sven the Bestest Berserker started as Sven The Unequivocally Worst Berserker before he became a star. It's only match four!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
The Super Bash Brothers Beefslab and The Flesh Prince doing what they do best, taking hits and staying upright.

Maybe at some point we can get cool art people in to draw some of the more notable/notorious team members

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This is probably going to be an unpopular position but I really prefer having class names to player names. For someone who's never played the game it makes it much easier to keep track of what's going on.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
That's the best goblin blitz that's ever been blitzed.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I was actually pretty sad that i didn't score at the end of the first half. I had a really good shot at it but my last two turns I just couldn't get anything done due to ~bloodbowl~.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Just ran a test game against the AI with a necromantic team. Learned a lot through my shameful play. Time to take it to the pubbie leagues and get pulped.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

jBrereton posted:

Knocked down Fanatics are actually KO'd, not BH'd, but a fine first half. That first action is quite something.

Fanatics roll an injury when they fall over. When they'd normally be stunned they instead are KO'd.

That opening :allears:

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Why pass over HMP pass on the bombardier?

I really hate playing undead teams with goblins because of the regen, it makes it really hard to get the man advantage you need when even the lovely players come back every drive.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

CongoJack posted:

Why pass over HMP pass on the bombardier?

I really hate playing undead teams with goblins because of the regen, it makes it really hard to get the man advantage you need when even the lovely players come back every drive.

I think he paid off regardless. He is bomberman, king of KOs.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Veloxyll posted:

I think he paid off regardless. He is bomberman, king of KOs.

Yea he did better than any of my bombers ever really have. Pass and HMP are both really good doubles to get on the bomberman, I can see why pass would be better but 2+ constant barrage of bombs sounds more reliable than just the reroll. Guess with the pass reroll he never takes rerolls for fumbling or whatever.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Basically HMP pass is better if you're throwing further than a short pass (aka long pass or long bomb). If you're just making short passes than pass is pretty reliable and you aren't as likely to accidentally scatter it into your own dudes.

I'm pretty confidant in my bomb positioning to mostly just throw short passes so I like pass more. Both are very legit pick ups though.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Agent355 posted:

Basically HMP pass is better if you're throwing further than a short pass (aka long pass or long bomb). If you're just making short passes than pass is pretty reliable and you aren't as likely to accidentally scatter it into your own dudes.

I'm pretty confidant in my bomb positioning to mostly just throw short passes so I like pass more. Both are very legit pick ups though.

You know how in the video, the chainsaw was priority #1 to get off the pitch? Well-skilled bombers become an even bigger priority. Thankfully for anyone playing against a goblin team, all of the best skillups for bombadiers are either doubles or +AG (and arguably the doubles are better) because an AG4, accurate, strong arm pass bombadier is a literal nightmare raining death and destruction on your team.

There's some talk about goblin skillups and there are a lot of arguments to be made for one side or the other. +AG is always a fantastic roll on a goblin, turning your normal 3+ dodges anywhere into 2+ dodges, giving you better options of holding the ball and landing The Best Play in the game. Much like how Dwarf teams as a general rule don't bother with Deathrollers (and if they do, they certainly don't skill them up), there's an argument to be made against letting your special weapons get any real skill ups - without bribes, it becomes difficult or impossible to justify tying up a significant amount of TV in a player that's difficult to effectively protect or hold relevant for more than a turn or two.

I say that's bullshit and entirely symptomatic of the kind of even-TV open play that cyanide matchmaking promotes.

The real problem with goblins and players who don't understand how to play them is that goblins are incredibly heavily momentum-based. Goblins benefit severely from receiving first possession and getting the first punch in. The fact that they're mostly strength 2 doesn't matter if they outnumber you and can keep you on the ground while putting the tiny spiky green boot in every round.

Goblins are a team built around putting the boot in as quickly and as frequently as possible. You keep the enemy team down as much as possible and surf, foul, cheat, and intimidate the enemy to your eventual olive and ochre victory. You want the enemy to be afraid of his players getting hurt, afraid to engage because of fouls, and afraid to get stuck in and commit, because no matter what he does to try and stop you, he keeps losing players and there's dirty player gobbos everywhere and he can't stop you from getting into cages and the trolls are piling on every turn and oh god it's a diving tackle sidestepper GET IT OFF GET IT OFF.

Goblins are Dick Moves: The Team.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

A good effort post about why I play goblins the way I do. With goblins you need a man advantage immediately and you never ever stop putting the boot to the enemy. I would rather let the enemy score and kill 2 more players than run a screen, which is why i tried to surf the wolf and throw blocks before making dodges to harass the ball carrier. If the dice work out in my favor it quickly steamrolls into an easy game for me.

That said any team with regeneration is obnoxious for goblins to deal with. Normally if I cas people I can realiably expect people not to use their apo unless it is a serious injury on a valuable player. People know goblins are going to attempt to kill their dudes and they will let most badly hurts slide for that reason. Regeneration however returns people to the field half the time, sure for the person playing the regeneration team they can't depend on it to save their good players, but for the goblin player all I really want is a man advantage, even if they aren't good players. I would have had 2 more permanently removed players in the first half if it wasn't for regen.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

I know you're scrapping the games where you get cheering fans just to spite me, you can admit it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I actually bought a cheerleader because I was trying to game TV and I'm wicked tryhard. Then I remembered the bomber dribblesnot is 60k inducement and that if I hadn't had that cheerleader I would've had enough.

Basically what I'm saying is never get cheerleaders.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Agent355 posted:

I actually bought a cheerleader because I was trying to game TV and I'm wicked tryhard. Then I remembered the bomber dribblesnot is 60k inducement and that if I hadn't had that cheerleader I would've had enough.

Basically what I'm saying is never get cheerleaders.

Literally the worst at bloodbowl.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

uPen posted:

I know you're scrapping the games where you get cheering fans just to spite me, you can admit it.

I've actually just been meticulously editing the videos to cover up the cheering fans event.

That Turn 0 Blitz event was all smoke and mirrors, I edited the bomb and KO's and everything

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
SDS if you don't start getting you rules spergin' right I'm gonna have to start ragin' and doin' big effortposts on how wrong you are.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

:siren:Second Half:siren:
Fairly Elected (GNU Order, Necromantic) vs Filthy Luckers (Agent355, Goblin)

Final Thoughts: Pelvis Costello. You know what they say about the star that shines brightest. Well, luckily we got a poo poo ton of cash to toss around, even after buying the second Ghoul. The match itself started out frustrating but soon became a ton of fun, and then became even more fun when I realized I was probably going to not lose, then became even more fun when I realized I was probably going to win. And, versus goblins, not losing anybody tactically important (Pelvis, you stole my heart with your dashing good looks and name) is great.

So then, on to the votes

What do we give Wight Power on his level up?

What do we name the new Ghoul?

How do we handle Pelvis Costello's niggling injury?

The possibilities here are...
1. Keep Pelvis, even with his Smashed Knee and subsequent niggling injury
2. Fire him, let him live out his unlife as a retired Bloodbowler, and hire a new zombie (we'll need a new name for a new zomb as well)
3. Fire him, let him live out his unlife as a retired Bloodbowler, and choose to not hire a new zombie
4. Fire him, let him live out his unlife as a retired Bloodbowler, and force me to taint the team by hiring on the next new player that I kill (whose name we won't get to choose)

Seven Deadly Sins
Apr 5, 2009

I stole something that would make me fabulously wealthy...

But I eated it.

So that was a Goblin game, and this is a pretty common result from a Goblin game: punchy dude levels up! Wight levels are awesome. And luckily, since it's a Wight, we've already got block! On top of that, we got Doubles, which are awesome for Wights. There are 3 main skills here that we want to get.

Jump Up is an awesome skill to get for any player with Strength access. Its benefits are twofold: First, when downed, he doesn't have to spend the 3 movement to get up, so he can move full movement after being knocked over. Second, he can make a 2+ roll to be able to block opposing players from the ground, which means that he's not safe to stand next to even when he's down. Finally, and this is MOST important... Being a Strength player, he has access to Piling On and Mighty Blow on singles, and Piling On + Jump Up is one of the most awesome skill combinations in tha game, since Jump Up drat near negates the only downside to Piling On. Simply put, Jump Up sets up for Piling On + Mighty Blow, which means we're in for one hell of a brawler. Plus, it's Wight Power. This is the role he was born for!

Dodge is the safest and most generically effective choice. Not only does it give us our second Blodger, making him insanely hard to knock down, but it also increases his mobility since a 3+ dodge with reroll is reliable enough to make it a common play. This is definitely the more defensive choice, and it'll set us up for an obnoxiously good defensive line with 2 blodgers, Flesh Golems, and extremely mobile Werewolves.

Side Step is another choice, and it's a big ol' pain in the rear end for opponents. If he doesn't fall over, he gets to reposition himself for free, and it can help a lot with pinning down important players. It also makes him nearly impossible to surf, which is very useful. Side Step is more obnoxious than directly effective, but it'll still see some use.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Dodge

Not Blanka

Never fire anyone ever. Not till Nuffle himself takes him out of the lineup.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I'm gonna be a renegade and say that Necromantic should take advantage of its high-speed players and that Wight should get Pass. Necro Passing Game for maximum funhaving :getin:

Name the new Ghoul Perils of the Flesh.

Keep Pelvis Costello because his name is too good. :colbert:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Jump Up
Richard Upton Pickman :eng101:
Keep Pelvis Costello, at least until another injury. (More bodies in the way never hurt.)

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
:golfclap: A good goblin match.

Dodge so the Wight's tough to knock down and can make sick blitzes through lines into cages, and don't fire Pelvis; not only is it a waste of a good name, no player should be sacked without good reason (like FrankenCastle). Let Nuffle sort it out. Also you might end up with one of those players with tons of injuries that just keeps on going. It's endearing.

Also Bloods MacKenzie for a ghoul name.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Pass for your double, then get strong arm and sure hands and you have a pretty good thrower.

If anyone else wants to actually have fun with this team we need to all make sure vote for the same skill to beat the wave of boring people voting for dodge.

CongoJack fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 1, 2014

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The team will have more than enough blodgers. Few other players are naturally good Passers though.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Pass

Scooby-Doo

Never Fire anyone. Even if they get -ST. Especially if they get -ST.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Leap because Agent didn't get to. And because you diced him a little in the last half (this happens to goblins a lot)

Perils of the Flesh for the ghoul.

and Never fire anyone.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Dodge and don't fire Pelvis.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jump Up and keep the liability.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

NGDBSS posted:

Richard Upton Pickman :eng101:

Second.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

CongoJack posted:

Pass for your double, then get strong arm and sure hands and you have a pretty good thrower.

If anyone else wants to actually have fun with this team we need to all make sure vote for the same skill to beat the wave of boring people voting for dodge.

I agree with this completely.

Pass

Bellophon
Sep 26, 2012
Dodge

Fire Pelvis Costello.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
Let's give Wight Power Jump Up. Wrestlewights sound pretty awesome.

Keep Pelvis Costello. After all we've been through, just firing him would be lame.

And let's name our new ghoul Fozzy Osbourne. Because he looks vague like a muppet, you see. :v:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Look around you. Look at your undead. No undead is good at passing.

This is tragic!! They can be fast, strong, durable, maneuverable, anything. But passing is the realm of other races? Garbage. Utter garbage.

Forget Elves, Humans, Skaven, Democracy Chaos. Undead should be able to do everything. This is the message of Wight Power. Ensuring undead supremacy in all ways means we must take pass.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Look around you. Look at your undead. No undead is good at passing.

This is tragic!! They can be fast, strong, durable, maneuverable, anything. But passing is the realm of other races? Garbage. Utter garbage.

Forget Elves, Humans, Skaven, Democracy Chaos. Undead should be able to do everything. This is the message of Wight Power. Ensuring undead supremacy in all ways means we must take pass.

I'm sold.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
Jump up so we can have a murderwight.

Al Ghoul be the name of al gore the ghoul.

Keep the fucker he's just a zombie. I'ts fun to have crippled zombies.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Jump Up, let's build ourselves a murderwight.

Ghouls Just Wanna Have Fun

Keep the zombie. He's a rotting corpse, it's not as if we check them out for physical injuries.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

Jump Up, let's build ourselves a murderwight.

Ghouls Just Wanna Have Fun

Keep the zombie. He's a rotting corpse, it's not as if we check them out for physical injuries.

We need a PILIN AWN dog, too. Neither of them is nearly rowdy enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

apostateCourier posted:

We need a PILIN AWN dog, too. Neither of them is nearly rowdy enough.

There is a tragic lack of situations involving the removal of shirts, or spinning them round like a helicopter

• Locked thread