Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The other Scott "Ultimate Badass" Summers moment from ASM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Edit: missed a page.

dandaman
Dec 30, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

Behold, Optic Blast!

Sadly, I couldn't find a decent image of the intervening page; showing the X-Men looking up at the massive spire Cyclops is being held in, and the entire city being bathed in red as a huge blast heads off into the sky.

The moment does require a lot of set-up as to why it's so badass, though.

You're my hero.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Thunderbolts #26: Leader is finally backstabbing all the Thunderbolts and killing them one by one in various ways as they make their way through a booby trap filled Aztec/Mayan/vague-South-American-culture ruin. All that's left are Rulk, and Deadpool.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Did deadpool light his hand on fire to use as a torch?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

jsoh posted:

He originally had regeneration to a level where he could cut off a finger and it would sproing back into existence in a few seconds. Maybe he's still got the ability to replace mass as fast as it burns.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

jsoh posted:

You know I only noticed that after you pointed that out. Good spot.
The Leader's ultimate fate in this issue was pretty hilarious too.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

How do you manage to NOT fire in a straight line when the beams come out of your eyes?

Ask Darkseid.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

smashpro1 posted:

Ask Darkseid.

They DO fire straight. Then they home in to the point of 180-degree turns.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Here's the last missing page to the Cyclops sequence. Emma's bit in the last panel sells me on their relationship more than anything else in this, or any other, run.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cassaday on ASM is probably my favorite run by an artist of all time.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I don't get why he seems like he is exerting himself when he shoots his optic blasts - aren't they always shooting unless he has the visor or mind magic crap? For him, shooting into the air should be about as hard as looking up?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bozart posted:

I don't get why he seems like he is exerting himself when he shoots his optic blasts - aren't they always shooting unless he has the visor or mind magic crap? For him, shooting into the air should be about as hard as looking up?

I always assumed his 'constant' level of optic blast is just strong enough to knock a dude down, but to get the building-destroying level ones he has to REALLY exert himself like flexing a muscle or something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also the beam is gonna push back against him, Newton's Second Law and all that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Aren't they dimensional portals or whatever?

There shouldn't be any pushback.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Away all Goats posted:

I always assumed his 'constant' level of optic blast is just strong enough to knock a dude down, but to get the building-destroying level ones he has to REALLY exert himself like flexing a muscle or something.

Except that every time someone knocks his visor off, he always manages to do a ton of damage to the scenery before he can even get his eyes closed. And that's when he's trying not to wreck poo poo.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fumaofthelake posted:

Here's the last missing page to the Cyclops sequence. Emma's bit in the last panel sells me on their relationship more than anything else in this, or any other, run.

I think it's during Morrison's run, but there's an issue where she seems genuinely depressed that she's crazy-in-love with this guy (which is something she never does), and he can't stop pining over his dead/alive/genocidal/dead/alive/etc girlfriend. I thought it was really well-done.

She's also frustrated because she's got top-notch education and plastic surgery and is perfect in every way possible. It's nice that even when she's being genuinely romantic, she's still Emma.

Weird tangent: has her accent ever been established? Sometimes I get the impression that she does an English accent, sometimes it's just upper-class rich American.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

prefect posted:

I think it's during Morrison's run, but there's an issue where she seems genuinely depressed that she's crazy-in-love with this guy (which is something she never does), and he can't stop pining over his dead/alive/genocidal/dead/alive/etc girlfriend. I thought it was really well-done.

She's also frustrated because she's got top-notch education and plastic surgery and is perfect in every way possible. It's nice that even when she's being genuinely romantic, she's still Emma.

Weird tangent: has her accent ever been established? Sometimes I get the impression that she does an English accent, sometimes it's just upper-class rich American.

Nah that was in astonishing X-men too.

She is really, really hard to like in that comic.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

prefect posted:

Given her background as coming from a wealthy Bostonian family, it always seemed to me that she'd have something of a cross between the old Boston Brahmin accent with perhaps a hint of the New York-centric "Locust Valley Lockjaw" accent (memorably possessed by Thurston Howell III of Gilligan's Island). The vaguely-fake-British syntax and vocabulary is fairly common among speakers of both.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Also some writers just write her as completely posh british because that's their default voice for someone like her.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

prefect posted:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

prefect posted:

I kind of had her pegged as a Mid-Atlantic accent, to be honest.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I kind of had her pegged as a Mid-Atlantic accent, to be honest.

Emma Frost has whatever accent her listener perceives as most socially impressive.

edit: to clarify, Emma Frost is perfectly willing to telepathically make people perceive that she has whatever they find most socially impressive.

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 2, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Parahexavoctal posted:

Emma Frost has whatever accent her listener perceives as most socially impressive.

edit: to clarify, Emma Frost is perfectly willing to telepathically make people perceive that she has whatever they find most socially impressive.

Like the idea that every race sees Galactus differently? I like it.

I'm not sure I like the part about Galactus, though. It would be a shame to deprive other races of that awesome helmet.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

prefect posted:

Like the idea that every race sees Galactus differently? I like it.

I'm not sure I like the part about Galactus, though. It would be a shame to deprive other races of that awesome helmet.

I kinda find it funny that it's implied human beings as a species find huge purple horn helmets and armored kilts to be incredibly impressive.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

AnonSpore posted:

I kinda find it funny that it's implied human beings as a species find huge purple horn helmets and armored kilts to be incredibly impressive.

The other depictions of Galactus there are just as goofy looking to those alien's respective cultures. That one where he's a shimmering ghost thing is hilariously corny to the Minbobulans.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

WickedHate posted:

The other depictions of Galactus there are just as goofy looking to those alien's respective cultures. That one where he's a shimmering ghost thing is hilariously corny to the Minbobulans.

To the majority of species of the universe, Galactus resembles a ghost from Scooby Doo.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

The Question IRL posted:

To the majority of species of the universe, Galactus resembles a ghost from Scooby Doo.

"Now let's see who this planet-eating force of nature REALLY is!"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

ManiacClown posted:

Reed Richards: You see his plan was to pretend to be a huge planet eating Force Nature and to scare the inhabitants of the world away.

Old Man Jenkins: At which point I would have been able to sell on the planet for a fortune.
And I would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for you meddling humans and your Dog too.

(Lockjaw looks at the camera and winks.)

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

The Question IRL posted:

Reed Richards: You see his plan was to pretend to be a huge planet eating Force Nature and to scare the inhabitants of the world away.

Old Man Jenkins: At which point I would have been able to sell on the planet for a fortune.
And I would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for you meddling humans and your Dog too.

(Lockjaw looks at the camera and winks.)

Lockjaw Snax don't really have the same marketing appeal.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ManiacClown posted:

"Galan of Taa!"

"And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't you meddling kids and your pesky Watcher!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Okay, so I'm reposting this from the last thread since archives are broke as hell and I can't just link the last post:

In Mighty Avengers #3 the newly formed team has to stop Shuma-"Motherfucking"-Gorath from entering our universe but it's not as easy as just beating up a tentacle monster. To beat a god, you have to beat him up on the astral plane too, so it's up to White Tiger, who is empowered by a Tiger god, to save the day. Assisting is Power Man (not Luke Cage) who is providing all the chi of NYC to power up said god, and Spider-Hero (who is actually Ronin (who is actually Blade)) to coach him through it.

I told you that story to tell you this one:

So White Tiger's deal is that her little tiger amulet gives her your generic superhero enhanced abilities (strength, agility, endurance, etc.) and she's super-good-at-kung-fu. However, to keep the power, she's got to cut a deal with her tiger god pal where one night per month the Tiger God gets to basically possess her and go do whatever it wants (just fight more crime only more harshly). So in an issue after the team is properly formed, word gets out that the man who murdered White Tiger's parents got out of jail and is back on the streets and she gets proper pissed off and lets the Tiger sweet-talk her into letting it take the wheel for vengeance. The Avengers actually mobilize to stop her because they're afraid she'll kill the guy and she totally would've if they hadn't utilized Monica Rambeau's light powers to trick her and then immobilize her.

In Mighty Avengers #8, the team's got her tied up at Blue Marvel's base at the bottom of the ocean and it's time to see what's going down on the astral plane:

And that's how you tell the same patron deity you watched eviscerate a cosmic horror to go gently caress itself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hang on I thought Greg Land was on Mighty Avengers :raise:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

There was an arc where he wasn't.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

zoux posted:

That was him on the Shuma Gorath pages.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

That was him on the Shuma Gorath pages.

But it doesn't look awful?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

The less actual faces you can see the better his art looks.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

zoux posted:

I wouldn't go that far. The Monica Rambeau stuff is his usual tracing.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

I wouldn't go that far. The Monica Rambeau stuff is his usual tracing.

I have rued the day Land got hold of Monica Rambeau :ohdear:

The last Land-made entry, ugggghhhhh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Pacra posted:

I have rued the day Land got hold of Monica Rambeau :ohdear:

The last Land-made entry, ugggghhhhh...

Hey man you know how hard it is to get pictures of black women that are not Halle Beryy?