Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hakkesshu posted:

Hell, I'd settle for an HD remake of the REmake, but I doubt that'd be feasible with the pre-rendered environments.

Such an awesome game being stuck in SD, 4:3 hell forever is a real bummer.

The graphics are already insanely good, especially considering its on a Gamecube. Almost certainly the best looking game on the Gamecube and probably in the top 3 for last gen graphics. That and Metal Gear Solid 2/3 were the only games of last gen that really super impressed me with their graphics to the point that it would take years to improve upon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Make REmake 2, and bring both that and REmake to PC. Problem solved.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So apparently some fan has remade a section of RE2 using Darkside Chronicles assets and possibly the RE4 engine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q5fm8z5RqG0

Man I want a proper remake of 2/3 so bad. Gamespot had some article a while back about a Capcom producer saying they'd consider a remake of 2 if there was enough fan support, but I can't imagine there being a bigger call for it than there already is any time soon.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
The Evil Within looks Resident Evil as gently caress: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kf-pFYqD1g

I really dig the rolling storm over the village and the mansion approach - very atmospheric.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Hell, I'd settle for an HD remake of the REmake, but I doubt that'd be feasible with the pre-rendered environments.

Such an awesome game being stuck in SD, 4:3 hell forever is a real bummer.

Honestly, I'd be fine if they just port it as is to PS3 and 360, I'd really like to play it again.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I think the last time REmake on modern platforms came up Capcom said something to the affect that they didn't have the original assets for the environments anymore? There was some big technical reason as to why they can't just shove out a REmake PS3/360 port, and when the company who loves to port everything to everything is saying they can't port a thing I'm inclined to believe them. Maybe they could do some kind of Arcana Heart 3/MvC2/SF3S 4:3 re-release with borders or something to compensate.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Policenaut posted:

I think the last time REmake on modern platforms came up Capcom said something to the affect that they didn't have the original assets for the environments anymore? There was some big technical reason as to why they can't just shove out a REmake PS3/360 port, and when the company who loves to port everything to everything is saying they can't port a thing I'm inclined to believe them. Maybe they could do some kind of Arcana Heart 3/MvC2/SF3S 4:3 re-release with borders or something to compensate.

Entirely possible. It does seem like videogames from the 90s (especially the large, disc based ones) didn't get a lot of data backups and archiving. It was likely too costly for the time to keep the original documentation and high quality assets used. Today, data storage is pretty cheap so they'll likely backup everything. Probably is why we get quite a few HD remasters from the PS2/PS3 generation.

See: Panzer Dragoon Saga.

It'd be cool if Squareenix did some kind of Final Fantasy Remaster collection for Vita, and put the PSP editions (with higher resolution) of FF1-3 on Vita, then did 4-6 (using the PSP edition of IV, and higher sprite editions of 5/6) and then having FF7-9 with higher quality assets (didn't someone out there do a romhacking job with FF9 and found it has some really nice looking textures to use, with a lot of details lost to the poor image quality of the PS1?) FFX is already done.

I mean, they actually had to sort of do a horrible hackjob for FF5/6 on iOS, so I could see that they don't have any original source material to work from.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

timeandtide posted:

The Evil Within looks Resident Evil as gently caress: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kf-pFYqD1g

I really dig the rolling storm over the village and the mansion approach - very atmospheric.

One of my favorite parts of the preorder bonus for that game is you get a double barrel shotgun with three shells! Talk about getting spoiled. Something tells me its very much not RE4-6 in design.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

What do you mean by that? The older ones with the fixed camera seem far more dated and a chore to play these days.

I really only meant that the textures and scenes in RE4 are way less upscalable than the older games. Playing remake at 1080p looks fantastic (using dolphin) whereas RE4 seems best left at standard def. Bringing it up to hd really just makes it uglier, and seems to degrade the post effects. (haven't actually played the hd steam version yet, so if that brought the lighting and fog back to gamecube levels, then it's probably superiour).

Alteisen posted:

But RE4 did have tank controls. :confused:
Well I thought tank controls were considered right trigger equals move forward. This is something that is not in RE4.

Anyways, RE4 is a great game obviously, I'm not knocking it. I just have a lustful dream of capcom abandoning the over the shoulder action genre for a while and going back to the immensely detailed jpg background or whatever that style is called.

I've been messing around with the pc and gamecube versions of the series, and I actually prefer to use dolphin for all pre-re5 games. The gamecube versions have subtle but really nice various improvements to all games, not just remake. Better character models, better UI, better controls, and the door loading scenes are like half as long. The only caveat is that dolphin is a fickle bitch that breaks all the drat time.

Basically what I hoped would happen is if not remakes of 2/3, than for the gamecube version of the games to be released on steam, because once you've played those, going to the pc versions is an exercise in frustration. If they've lost the assets to make this possible, well that's quite disappointing.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 1, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Policenaut posted:

The Dolphin version works 100% fine, no bugs or glitches. Just pull a Blizzard and pay the Dolphin guys to create a hacked version of Dolphin that only plays the REmake and switches discs automatically when you get to the labs.

It'd only be a PC version, but I can't imagine they don't have the rights for REmake anymore. They wouldn't even have to port it then, just go through a few passes with the Dolphin guys to make sure the emulated version will have no issues, set up some min/recommended specs, and put it up on Steam. I'd buy it at least.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

ethanol posted:

Well I thought tank controls were considered right trigger equals move forward. This is something that is not in RE4.

Tank controls are basically what RE4's movement controls were: up moves forward, down makes the character back up, and left and right makes the character turn in place instead of automatically moving that direction. The only difference is the camera.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Rookersh posted:

The Dolphin version works 100% fine, no bugs or glitches. Just pull a Blizzard and pay the Dolphin guys to create a hacked version of Dolphin that only plays the REmake and switches discs automatically when you get to the labs.

It'd only be a PC version, but I can't imagine they don't have the rights for REmake anymore. They wouldn't even have to port it then, just go through a few passes with the Dolphin guys to make sure the emulated version will have no issues, set up some min/recommended specs, and put it up on Steam. I'd buy it at least.

I'm not sure about the legal situation here, but I don't think they could get away with releasing a version that basically emulates Nintendo hardware anyway.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
What's a efficient way to kill those instant-kill bugs in RE5? Those assholes are kicking my rear end.

Surprised how easy the game is. Killing a roomful of liches isn't even challenging. Not sure if fighting ganados with guns. More irritating than anything else,

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Use the highest-caliber weapon you have and target the giant yellow nodules on the Reapers' backs or stomachs. Electric grenades are also useful, IIRC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ManOfTheYear posted:

What's a efficient way to kill those instant-kill bugs in RE5? Those assholes are kicking my rear end.

Surprised how easy the game is. Killing a roomful of liches isn't even challenging. Not sure if fighting ganados with guns. More irritating than anything else,

If you're solo, back off and wait until they expose their weak point and then shoot it with the biggest gun you have. If you're co-op, have one person shoot the weak points on their back while the other baits it, shoot the weak point on the front when it is exposed.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Hit it with an explosive: a grenade, prox bomb, whatever, and then shoot it once in the stomach. Even if you hit the armor it will die instantly.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

ManOfTheYear posted:

If I'm remembering right, try flash grenades.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Man, once you realize that RE4 has adaptive difficulty, it becomes kind of annoying. I never noticed it the first few times I played, but replaying it on PS3, it is glaringly obvious. Some of these guys take so many bullets and kicks. I guess it doesn't help that I haven't died yet, but I sort of can't wait to get to new game plus since you get so overpowered by the end of the game.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
Shotgun to the gut when they reveal the belly weak point after spewing smoke. If your shotty of choice has enough damage, you could even one-shot it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I recently came across a trainer that lets you host up to 6 player mercenaries rounds on PC RE6, should work on No Mercy but I haven't been able to test it. Anyone down for that?

If not, keep in mind all of us could be playing as this.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Holy poo poo. Welp, there's my reason to get the PC version as soon as it goes on sale. :v:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Speaking of that, they also found a four eyes mod. :psyduck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fajzIsikYls

I mean, sure I'm like one of the seven people in the world that liked Operation Raccoon City in spite of all its flaws, but hey, someone else remembers what could've been. (Being able to shove your friends through doors into the waiting arms of a zombie if they're being dumb is always a plus)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I liked ORC to. :hfive:

And Four Eyes was my character of choice, that's a really good mod to.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Count me down as another guy who really liked ORC and also (coincidentally?) played as Four-Eyes.

I really hope ORC and RE5 get the Steamworks treatment, but they probably won't.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Wow really? But let me guess, you guys have it on ps3.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I only have it on the ps3, and the whole experience was terrible. The missions seemed to be next to impossible to complete with the AI team, with the exception of the intro, and then the only games I'd ever play with online players would get wiped out in the first room, so they'd all rage quit.

I love the idea of ORC, and I think it's probably really great with decent team, but a decent team is hard to come by...

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I have it on PS3 and I just recently beat the campaign. I love the game. The online is full of people at max level from Japan though. Also, it was balanced terribly.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
ORC just felt ugly to me. I didn't like any of the characters, and while it had some cool ideas, they weren't enough to make me really like it that much. It felt like I was playing through bad Resident Evil fan fiction for most of it, and in a franchise where one of the biggest strengths is the plethora of ridiculous characters, it felt comparatively dull to just play as bitter grumpy Umbrella guys.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I think I even have earlier posts in this topic about me being a Four-Eyes ORC player. Dammit I loved that dumb game even if I never finished the Echo Six stuff.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

I unfortunately have it on the 360. But I always play "BERTHA FIX YOU UP GOOD" medic. Painkiller is so hilariously overpowered.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Incidentally, one of the grognardiest Resident Evil fans I know is all over the grognard gamer Internet at the moment spreading a rumor about a new game being announced at E3. Apparently it involves three returning characters, one of whom has never actually been in a game before, and another that has not been in a game for the last ten years or so.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Return of Rebecca Chambers and Billy Coen?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Wanderer posted:

one of whom has never actually been in a game before

Then how are they reoccurring? Are they a book or movie character?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Flytrap posted:

Then how are they reoccurring? Are they a book or movie character?

I'm assuming it's some background character that has never actually been in a game before. There are a few of those, like Barry's daughters Moira and Polly, certain Umbrella personnel, or Alex Wesker.

Here's the thread on NeoGAF.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Ark Thompson/Fong Ling/Alice. :getin:

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Insider dude says it's two female characters and one male; the reoccurring character never seen before in a RE is not from a film or book, but has been mentioned in games; it's not RE7 but a Revelations type game. (For those too lazy to click the link.)

So no Resident Evil 7: Trench's Revenge unfortunately.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

George Trevor come back from the dead for revenge?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

With all of you who own ORC on PS3, which I do too, we could probably put together an LP of it finally :downs:

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Wanderer posted:

I'm assuming it's some background character that has never actually been in a game before. There are a few of those, like Barry's daughters Moira and Polly, certain Umbrella personnel, or Alex Wesker.

Here's the thread on NeoGAF.

Elza Walker finally escaped from Resident Evil 1.5 and is pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alex Wesker vs Jake Wesker in a kung-fu DMC-style spinoff.

Joking aside, I bet one of them is Claire. She was noticeably absent from RE6 and there were rumors she was going to get a DLC that never panned out.