Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Has there ever been a Pulitzer prize awarded to a videogame journalist? :newlol:
I ask because online journalists are eligible to win the prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

The first time I played the KOTOR games was long enough ago that I don't really remember whether or not I ran into any major bugs, but New Vegas and Alpha Protocol were buttery smooth compared to what the critics made them out to be. New Vegas was less buggy and crash-happy than Fallout 3, and most of the problems it did have were things that plagued Fallout 3 as well (it's because the engine collapses under its own weight). And I ran into exactly one significant glitch across three or so playthroughs of AP. It's really annoying to see the majority of reviewers go on and on blowing technical issues out of proportion - some critics treated New Vegas and AP both as if they were borderline unplayable, which I've never seen repeated by consumers - while barely talking about the content of the game. It's not something exclusive to Obsidian games, but they definitely seem to catch it worse than anyone else.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Game journos are just peeved that Obsidian doesn't pay them off. Obsidian also actually makes games that are more narratively complex than a puddle. :haw:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Mymla posted:

I don't remember KOTOR 2 being buggy. Its problem was that it was secretly Cut Content II: The Cut Lords.
It was very buggy for me - the one I always ran into was at the very end of the Telos stage, where Atton tells everyone to prepare for takeoff. His button-pressing animation loops forever and the cutscene never ends. That was on the Xbox so there was no real way around it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Disco Infiva posted:

Has there ever been a Pulitzer prize awarded to a videogame journalist? :newlol:
I ask because online journalists are eligible to win the prize.

I think Kieron Gillen won a journalism or writing prize some time ago when he was still writing things for PC Gamer. Of course nowadays he usually writes comics instead. I love his Young Avengers books.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
My twitter feed has been going nuts for his new comic about pop idols as literal gods incarnate, too.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Walrus Pete posted:

most of [New Vegas's] problems [...] were things that plagued Fallout 3 as well (it's because the engine collapses under its own weight).

Did Fallout 3 have the glitch where fast travel would CTD sometimes? That and the bug where a fire gecko could become invulnerable were the only bad defects I remember.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Did Fallout 3 have the glitch where fast travel would CTD sometimes? That and the bug where a fire gecko could become invulnerable were the only bad defects I remember.

Yes on CTD, no on Fire Geckos ( because they weren't in 3 ).

MILF destroyer
Feb 6, 2014
My girlfriend couldn't even finish New Vegas on PS3 because it gamely crashed at the battle of Hoover Dam every single time until she quit trying. It did the same to me on 360 but I did manage to slog through it once by not using VATS at all.
The game had bugs and it's possible that the reviewers mentioned them because they actually existed and not because Obsidian didn't pay them off.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MILF destroyer posted:

My girlfriend couldn't even finish New Vegas on PS3 because it gamely crashed at the battle of Hoover Dam every single time until she quit trying. It did the same to me on 360 but I did manage to slog through it once by not using VATS at all.
The game had bugs and it's possible that the reviewers mentioned them because they actually existed and not because Obsidian didn't pay them off.

That's not really the point that's being brought up though. The mystery is how larger developers, like Bethesda for example, release games just as/even more buggy and somehow there's not a peep about it. Not only is there not a peep, but they get universal dicksucking sessions for how bold and groundbreaking their new game is every time as though the bugs are non-existent.

Why do you think that is?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

New Vegas and Alpha Protocol were definitely playable, especially after they got patched a bunch, but they are still very, very buggy and unpolished.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Captain Oblivious posted:

That's not really the point that's being brought up though. The mystery is how larger developers, like Bethesda for example, release games just as/even more buggy and somehow there's not a peep about it. Not only is there not a peep, but they get universal dicksucking sessions for how bold and groundbreaking their new game is every time as though the bugs are non-existent.

Why do you think that is?

Mystery? Money is the answer. In-house games by big publishers get enough marketing money to make reports of bugs never happen. But if they just publish something that doesn't directly fall on their own devs? Marketing budget is a lot smaller. Especially if you can save even more money by not letting the Metacritic score get too high for bonuses.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DatonKallandor posted:

Mystery? Money is the answer. In-house games by big publishers get enough marketing money to make reports of bugs never happen. But if they just publish something that doesn't directly fall on their own devs? Marketing budget is a lot smaller. Especially if you can save even more money by not letting the Metacritic score get too high for bonuses.

I was being facetious with the mystery part. I thought that was obvious :(

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

DatonKallandor posted:

Especially if you can save even more money by not letting the Metacritic score get too high for bonuses.

Also jet fuel doesn't burn hot enough to melt steel guys

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah it's much easier to believe that Bethesda QA is hilariously incompetent and Obisidan was on a rushed schedule than Bethesda was engaged in a conspiracy to gently caress over Obsidian.

ikaragu
Oct 24, 2010
The problem with taking game bugs into consideration when reviewing a game is that two different people playing a game may have very different experiences, far more so when you're looking at RPGs, and especially when you're looking at PC games where there's going to be variance in the hardware running them. I found Alpha Protocol to be pretty much bug free (aside from one really irritating issue) and new vegas to be incredibly unstable at certain points, but there are people who say they had the exact opposite experience with those games and I believe them.

It's also pretty likely that, if consumers did experience bugs in something like Fallout 3, and then complained about them to the magazines/websites who they saw as overlooking the bugs, reviewers are going to be more critical of bugs they find in the sequel. Given that Obsidian have produced a lot of sequels to games with notable bugs it's not that surprising that the games were harshly judged in that respect.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Alpha Protocol is unpolished certainly, but calling it "very buggy" is just plain not accurate.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Off the top of my head, enemies will occasionally disappear when reloading a save and there's a hitch in the level loading that can throw off your aim while moving.

a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

an earworm burrowed into my frontal lobe

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah it's much easier to believe that Bethesda QA is hilariously incompetent and Obisidan was on a rushed schedule than Bethesda was engaged in a conspiracy to gently caress over Obsidian.

I'm willing to believe in both, considering Brian Fargo said Bethesda moved Obsidian's ship date up, and he doesn't seem like the kind of person who makes things up.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Yeah, the only possible reason for moving the ship date up would be to cripple the game's Metacritic score.

a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

coffeetable posted:

Yeah, the only possible reason for moving the ship date up would be to cripple the game's Metacritic score.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but Bethesda isn't hurting for money. If you commission a product to be completed in X amount of time, and then somewhere in the middle or near the end, decide it actually needs to be done in X-Y amount of time, there's no way to do that without compromising on quality.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah, but if they aren't hurting for money then why would they try to dick over a company so they wouldn't get a bonus. It's silly.

a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

RentACop posted:

Yeah, but if they aren't hurting for money then why would they try to dick over a company so they wouldn't get a bonus. It's silly.
The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

StashAugustine posted:

Off the top of my head, enemies will occasionally disappear when reloading a save and there's a hitch in the level loading that can throw off your aim while moving.
Also if you started the game on certain difficulties the hacking mini game in the tutorial was nearly unbeatable.

BUT the big question is why this is considered 'very buggy'. Such bugs or worse exist in other Bethesda games with little concern shown yet Alpha Protocol was treated like it was barely playable when it was a few relatively minor hitches. That's the argument people are making.

Maybe it's because I've played through games like Fallout 2 that seemed to have a game breaking bug every 10 feet but most bugs I find now adays seem like minor annoyances and Obsidian isn't worse than any other game company currently producing.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

a slim pixie posted:

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind.

lol

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

a slim pixie posted:

Gekko inspired Goldpact paladin is now in the running for my first playthrough

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I'd imagine part of the fact NV was pulled up on bugs was that it was the second game in Fallout's new form and people grow more critical with familiarity. Kind of like how Watch Dogs is getting 7/10's despite being a solid example of the genre with a lot of clout behind it.

Didn't help that it probably was buggier because Obsidian stretched the engine far more than Bethesda had.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

StashAugustine posted:

Have you even sat in on a business meeting where non-producing b-schoolers are "brainstorming" on how to do anything justify their bonuses?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

FRINGE posted:

Have you even sat in on a business meeting where non-producing b-schoolers are "brainstorming" on how to do anything justify their bonuses?

Cf. the bazillion drinks (eg. V8) that were originally 12 oz cans that changed to 11.5 oz without changing the size of the can

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
It's not like it's asking a lot to believe that someone at a company would choose to gently caress over people at some other company, especially if it will "improve their metrics" or some such. They'll also do it over injured pride or myriad other childish reasons. It's by no means safe to assume that the people making decisions are doing so rationally.

The hope that crowd funding will eliminate a major vector for that kind of behavior is exactly why I backed this game in the first place, since it seems to have hamstrung or crippled pretty much every CRPG ever.

User fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 1, 2014

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Mymla posted:

I don't remember KOTOR 2 being buggy. Its problem was that it was secretly Cut Content II: The Cut Lords.

Every time I've played the game (which is a few) I have an issue where after combat the character I'm controlling gets 'stuck' and no move actions work. I have to quick save and quick load to fix it. This is very annoying in the prologue because it happens after about every second fight. This has also happened to me on every PC I've played on as back in '05 or '06 or something when I first played it I had a completely different machine (as most people did).

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Sensuki posted:

Every time I've played the game (which is a few) I have an issue where after combat the character I'm controlling gets 'stuck' and no move actions work.
That's a legacy bug from KotOR1. If the moods strikes you to replay KotORII, enabling Frame Buffer and V-Sync should prevent that from happening.

User posted:

It's not like it's asking a lot to believe that someone at a company would choose to gently caress over people at some other company, especially if it will "improve their metrics" or some such.
Hanlon's razor.
I mean really: if you honestly think Bethesda intentionally sabotaged the QA work for New Vegas, then you ought to take a good look at the QA work they've done for their own games.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 1, 2014

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Raygereio posted:

That's a legacy bug from KotOR1. If the moods strikes you to replay KotORII, enabling Frame Buffer and V-Sync should prevent that from happening.

Hanlon's razor.
I mean really: if you honestly think Bethesda intentionally sabotaged the QA work for New Vegas, then you ought to take a good look at the QA work they've done for their own games.

I don't play any games with V-Sync and haven't since probably 2001. Does it work with just frame buffer?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Raygereio posted:

Hanlon's razor.

No Sabotaged. But spent less on it because they don't care and can save some money by saving some money? Absolutely.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

But spent less on it because they don't care and can save some money by saving some money? Absolutely.
No-one's arguing on that front. What you said though was

DatonKallandor posted:

Especially if you can save even more money by not letting the Metacritic score get too high for bonuses.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Which you do by not spending extra money on QA.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
People have been led to believe that conspiracies (that are literally everywhere in business and politics) dont actually exist.

People acting in secret for their own benefit? Who ever heard of such a thing?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Other people also mistake conspiracies with just one or two people being greedy or lazy or poor planners or any combination thereof.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Drifter posted:

just one or two [or more] people being greedy
That is frequently the literal root of a conspiracy.

Its not some elevated concept that means Hydra is coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I, too, enjoy the intertwining of fanciful speculation with the literal definitions of words.

It lends a certain measure of gravitas.

• Locked thread