Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I didn't care about Tyrion's beetle story once it turned out he hadn't found a larger lesson in it, and the fight was silly to me.

I'm pretty sure that was scene was the showmakers speaking directly to us, the audience, in a self-aware tongue-in-cheek manner. Tyrion couldn't find the reason because the lesson is that there is no reason. It's the nature of their world and GRRM is the cousin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006
God drat did not see that coming, I was in shock afterwards.

Oddity posted:

The great thing about this show is that I don't think there's many "throw away scenes" at all. That "mook" was the guy who abandoned his post in the prologue on the very first episode when they first encounter White Walkers. Even during his execution all he could do was mumble about what happened. His brain was just shattered.
What was the bug chat about then, The Mountain is a retard that just likes killing people, and therefore probably didn't have orders to kill The Vipers sister?

Det_no posted:

Eh I think the result of the fight is pretty drat predictable partly because of the writing and partly thanks to the TV production. The way I saw it, they wouldn't have bothered making so much noise about the Mountain's new casting if he was destined to just die after two scenes and the fight happening at the very end of the episode was a dead giveaway that it would be a shocking finale of sorts.

It WAS tense but I guess in the grand scheme of things the ol' TV magic kind of fell flat on this one.
New Mountain can't act for poo poo and is a giant, worlds strongest man contender. I just took that casting as they wanted a big dude that could move well in a fight scene.

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."

Woden posted:

What was the bug chat about then, The Mountain is a retard that just likes killing people, and therefore probably didn't have orders to kill The Vipers sister?

Can't say for sure, I didn't write the script. But if I had to venture a guess, something similar to how the Joker just wants to watch the world burn.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Midnight City posted:

Show the part where I said his character was mangled from anything to do with his physical acts in the show again. Oh, you can't, because you rushed to post some stupid flippant bullshit that you're known to do no matter how many custom titles or probations you get about it.

Alrght alright, I'll concede that you weren't talking about his physical prowess.

And to be honest I was a little annoyed with the actor changeups too.

But c'mon. Mangled? What insightful nuance about the inner workings of Gregor Clegane's character was mangled by casting changes?

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yeah, it was about showing how unfit he was to be lord of anything, much less lord of Winterfell.

He's pretty loving good at being Reek though, maybe Ramsey had the right idea after all.

Dude, that scene where the Ironborn look so hopeful that they'd be spared...gently caress. Theon looked so broken. I had to watch something happy after the episode ended.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ridiculo posted:

Blowing someone's brains out by just squeezing their head, even if it's through the eye sockets, is just ridiculous and cartoony.
You are watching a show whose literal first scene contained cartoon snow zombies.

The adage in film and television is now, always has been, and always will be, "emotion first, realism if possible."

If something happens in a television show or film that pulls you out of the moment because it couldn't happen in real life (up to a point), you may want to consider that you're looking too closely at the magic act, then pointing out the smoke and mirrors to strangers who don't care.

The story of the scene is that a guy's hubris, grief, and need for a confession caused him to make a fatal error that has deep-reaching ramifications on the world around him.

It was carelessness that effected everybody; not something to knit-pick because

"it wouldn't work that way! I studied medicine on Wikipedia!"
:goonsay:

panda clue
May 23, 2014
I'm sorry to ask, but this is my first time trying to follow this thread: do people act like this after every single episode? Like "OH MAN THAT WAS SOOOO UNBELIEVABLE :rolleyes:"? Why are people like this even watching the show? Why are you even watching television?

I get SUPER spergy with suspension of disbelief stuff in shows/movies I love, and this episode didn't even come close to pulling me out if it. Call me simple minded, an idiot - whatever, but I am truly grateful that I am able to watch something like this and truly enjoy it without feeling the need to vomit over my keyboard about how I don't think that an 8+ foot tall man isn't as strong as a fantasy show says he is.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Goddamn it I watched the episode a few hours late and was logging on to make a video of this exact thing and then there it is a few posts in. I think a better shot to start the music on would have been Tyrion's "uh-oh" face close-up though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Woden posted:

I think that Tyrion is making a point about how he sees his own family. For all his pretension of putting family first, all Tywin wants is to be the subject of maesters' studies for centuries. In his struggle to do so, he's betraying the very principle he claims to be in service of. Cersei doesn't even have any real goal, she's just flailing about trying her best to smash the bugs. It's certainly in Jaime's nature to destroy things without empathy, but he's clearly not quite the same monster as his sister and father. Then you have Tyrion, just trying to make sense of it all and coming up with nothing.

The metaphor does extend to Oberyn and the Mountain, though. As I mentioned before, the Mountain is nothing but an illustration of the Lannisters' power. And whether or not the Mountain's dead for real, he looks a lot like the cousin that got kicked by the mule right now.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Steve Yun posted:

Alrght alright, I'll concede that you weren't talking about his physical prowess.

And to be honest I was a little annoyed with the actor changeups too.

But c'mon. Mangled? What insightful nuance about the inner workings of Gregor Clegane's character was mangled by casting changes?

I could've phrased it better since I just said his character was mangled without the addendum it didn't have anything to do with what we were talking about, but dealing with just the physical stuff that people were saying looked cartoonish/silly (I'm not one of the people who said this, I just said it made more sense in the book) they could've included scenes/stories of him being supernaturally strong enough to fight in armor so big nobody else would've been able to move in it.

Basically they stripped away the supernaturally strong element of him (sure he's still a big strong guy) but then they kept the supernaturally strong type result in at the same time (headpopping / lifting off his back).

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!
I wonder if Sansa is not extremely cautious around Littlefinger now that she's gotten wiser to the game. She's confessed to knowing what he wants, and Littlefinger seemed to feel confident around her because he believed she was ignorant on the whole. On the other hand, Littlefinger doesn't know what Sansa wants. Now it feels like she's got the upper hand.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Does anyone have a link to the Missandei nude gallery? I need it for a project.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

quote:

Oberyn Martell aka The Red Viper (Pedro Pascal)
Second Prince of Dorne, friend of all the ladies... and some gents. Last Seen: Officially gaining title of Best Character on Game of Thrones.

:sigh:

Woden
May 6, 2006

I think that Tyrion is making a point about how he sees his own family. For all his pretension of putting family first, all Tywin wants is to be the subject of maesters' studies for centuries. In his struggle to do so, he's betraying the very principle he claims to be in service of. Cersei doesn't even have any real goal, she's just flailing about trying her best to smash the bugs. It's certainly in Jaime's nature to destroy things without empathy, but he's clearly not quite the same monster as his sister and father. Then you have Tyrion, just trying to make sense of it all and coming up with nothing.

The metaphor does extend to Oberyn and the Mountain, though. As I mentioned before, the Mountain is nothing but an illustration of the Lannisters' power. And whether or not the Mountain's dead for real, he looks a lot like the cousin that got kicked by the mule right now.

I like your read on Cersei and Tyrion but the rest seem like a stretch.

If The Mountain does die wtf does that infer, a double KO in trial by combat I mean? I hope Tyrion can somehow still live, losing another cool character next episode is not something I look forward to.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

a cop posted:

Does anyone have a link to the Missandei nude gallery? I need it for a project.

I assume you aren't getting paid for this project.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 2, 2014

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I assume you aren't getting paid for this project.

What if I beat off at work, haha.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Woden posted:

If The Mountain does die wtf does that infer, a double KO in trial by combat I mean?
Oberyn is dead now, Tywin's judgement is rendered.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Also, lmao at curb your enthusiasm vid

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Just had ice cream and a beer--finally feeling better.

GRRM is probably not going to kill Tyrion just like how he's probably not going to kill Arya. They're his favorite characters. Also, Jaquen H'gar's coin and Littlefinger mentioning he's part braavosi is way too loving convenient. Now that everyone but her brothers and sisters are dead why the hell wouldn't she just pack up and go to Braavos?

Woden
May 6, 2006

BubbleGoose posted:

I wonder if Sansa is not extremely cautious around Littlefinger now that she's gotten wiser to the game. She's confessed to knowing what he wants, and Littlefinger seemed to feel confident around her because he believed she was ignorant on the whole. On the other hand, Littlefinger doesn't know what Sansa wants. Now it feels like she's got the upper hand.
Starting to like Sansa now and really glad they didn't show her say what she thought Littlefinger wanted. If she did really know he wanted the Iron Throne articulating that this early would be a death sentence, leaving him wondering what she's actually figured out will having him trying to puzzle it out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Midnight City posted:

I could've phrased it better since I just said his character was mangled without the addendum it didn't have anything to do with what we were talking about, but dealing with just the physical stuff that people were saying looked cartoonish/silly (I'm not one of the people who said this, I just said it made more sense in the book) they could've included scenes/stories of him being supernaturally strong enough to fight in armor so big nobody else would've been able to move in it.

Basically they stripped away the supernaturally strong element of him (sure he's still a big strong guy) but then they kept the supernaturally strong type result in at the same time (headpopping / lifting off his back).
Like I said, they showed him cutting a horse's head half off and picking up guys with his sword. These things accomplish the same function in his characterization that having him wear a super-heavy suit of armor would've.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Traitorous Leopard posted:

That had me cracking up even more than the actual ending. Amazing what that track can do.

Woden posted:

If The Mountain does die wtf does that infer, a double KO in trial by combat I mean? I hope Tyrion can somehow still live, losing another cool character next episode is not something I look forward to.

Well Tywin said Tyrion lost and he's the big man on campus, so either way Tyrion's hosed unless he can make it out somehow.

I'll admit my analysis might be spotty, I certainly didn't understand the point of the story at first and most people have seemed to ignore the scene in favor of the huge standouts of the episode (I can't really blame them). But I think the meaning of Tywin's "victory" at the trial is that the time of the Lannisters is quickly coming to an end. It was foreshadowed by the revelation a few episodes back of their gold mines running dry, which had always been the source of their power. That's not to mention that literally nothing has been going his way lately.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

Traitorous Leopard posted:

holy poo poo, with the look on Tyrion's face...priceless.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

ridiculo posted:

Blowing someone's brains out by just squeezing their head, even if it's through the eye sockets, is just ridiculous and cartoony.

I imagine that's literally doable for someone his size. The actor himself weighs 400+ lbs. That much armor, if it were real, would probably be about a hundred pounds on top of that. You've literally got a quarter-ton of rear end in a top hat. An rear end in a top hat who's wearing gauntlets, meaning he isn't even limited to however much force would break the little bone tips his thumbs taper off into. There'd be nothing less than hundreds of pounds of force being exerted opposite the direction skulls evolved to withstand.

This is a gross digression but, if I recall correctly, and I say that because I was squinting and looking at the screen sideways while frowning pretty hard, it looked like Clegane mostly just drove his thumbs through the backs of Oberyn's orbital sockets and tore out laterally, compromising part of the braincase on one side.

But I was really just referring to the people incredulous a dude could fight after getting seriously stabbed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Woden posted:

Well, it might make more sense if you broaden up the interpretation some more. People around Tyrion do things that make no logical sense, and Tyrion wants to figure out why. Why does Cersei hate Tyrion so much? Why does Tywin act so ashamed of Tyrion? Why does Tywin do things that will hurt the family? The answers don't make sense to Tyrion and he wants to dig deeper and find answers that make sense, but maybe he never will find satisfactory answers.

And to broaden it up even more, maybe it's a thesis statement for the whole series. People doing things that don't benefit them, but it makes them feel good to smash things so they just keep on smashing. Danaerys might be shooting herself in the foot to get rid of Jorah. Oberyn wanted revenge against Tywin and the Mountain, and hosed up because he got cocky for a second.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 2, 2014

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I liked how Sandor talked about relishing that look in your opponents eyes when they know it's all over and then Gregor just loving smashes his opponents eyes out

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

Woden posted:

Doesn't the Lannister stronghold literally sit on a mountain of gold (okay, maybe just a big hill)? If the Mountain is the symbol of the Lannister's power, and he dies, it could symbolize the waning of their power. And the Lannister goldmines are tapped. That's just my thinking, anyway.

BubbleGoose fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 2, 2014

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
They haven't gone into great deal with what type of medicine exists, but yeah I get the feeling The Mountain, if not dead seconds after killing Oberyn, died shortly after.

I enjoyed Oberyn's character but I'm shocked everyone is so upset he died. I figured if he won he would just go back to Dorne and whore it up for another 50 years, so this works just as well. He was never going to take down Tywin, you can't fight city hall.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If Oberyn had won, I'm certain that a lot of people would be complaining that Tyrion got out of this predicament the exact way he got out of his last one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Woden posted:

The Mountain clearly won the combat, thus proving that Tyrion was unquestionably guilty. The Mountain dying later is irrelevant... hell, if anything, the Mountain dying later might STRENGTHEN the case against Tyrion because somebody could say,"Tyrion was so guilty that even though the Mountain suffered fatal wounds the will of the Gods was expressed through him and gave him the strength to kill Oberyn and bring justice to the memory of the beloved King Joffrey!"

Or in other words, those in charge can spin anything they want anyway they want to get what they want.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
I know everyone was repulsed by the gruesome eye-gouging and head-popping but that first loving hit where you see his teeth fly out was what really disturbed me.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Wow this show is crazy. You think some guy might not die but instead he dies in a cartoon way. Gripping stuff.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
Right, I've seen some complaints about Oberyn's final moment being too gruesome or whatever. I can kind of see that, but this was pretty much completely how it happened in the *gasp* books. There have been some major moments in this show that have kind of differed from what they were in the source material whereas this one was very loyal to it, but of course then you have the question of should they just have had Oberyn sliced in half or something as opposed to this more prolonged death. Because, poo poo, I feel like if I had not known what was going to happen, I would've found that over-excessive. Just chop his head off or something, I dunno. But then, does it simply just become "Welp, he's dead" as opposed to this, well, rather strong reaction? Ehh. It is what it is.

I mean Oberyn was just basically there to make Tyrion's situation even more messed up, but then Pedro Pascal was actually great in the role and he became a fan favorite.

Fabulous Knight fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 2, 2014

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

tekz posted:

Wow this show is crazy. You think some guy might not die but instead he dies in a cartoon way. Gripping stuff.

It's not TV. It's HBO.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If I had any complaint, it would be that they could've done more in this episode to play up Gregor's size and strength before the fight. Better camera angles to play up his size, having noisier armor, etc. When he makes his entrance it feels... slightly underwhelming. There are a few shots from bad angles and it makes him look like an ordinary 6 foot tall guy, like one where Pycelle is standing closer to the camera and therefore taller looking.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Marketing New Brain posted:

I enjoyed Oberyn's character but I'm shocked everyone is so upset he died.

hot bi guy

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fabulous Knight posted:

Right, I've seen some complaints about Oberyn's final moment being too gruesome or whatever. I can kind of see that, but this was pretty much completely how it happened in the *gasp* books. There have been some major moments in this show that have kind of differed from what they were in the source material whereas this one was very loyal to it, but of course then you have the question of should they just have had Oberyn sliced in half or something as opposed to this more prolonged death. Because, poo poo, I feel like if I had not known what was going to happen, I would've found that over-excessive. Just chop his head off or something, I dunno. But then, does it simply just become "Welp, he's dead" as opposed to this, well, rather strong reaction? Ehh. It is what it is.

The thing is the tonal shift is just so jarring. You're prepared for a brutal melee combat with violent deaths but instead it shifts to something out of a slasher film. It felt out of place with the rest of the scene. I was expecting him to gouge his eyes out and then punch him to death, not crush his skull in a pneumatic press like a horror movie monster.

It'd probably sit better if they just cut away like they do in most other non-horror movies, but keeping the camera on the action is really what did it.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 2, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BubbleGoose posted:

Doesn't the Lannister stronghold literally sit on a mountain of gold (okay, maybe just a big hill)? If the Mountain is the symbol of the Lannister's power, and he dies, it could infer the waning of their power. Tywin did admit that their goldmines are tapped. That's just my thinking, anyway.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at. This isn't the first time the Mountain's been used this way by the show, either. After Cat fucks with the Lannisters by having Tyrion arrested, the Mountain gets sent to sack the Riverlands to remind the Starks and Tullys about who the gently caress Tywin is. Ned tries to denounce the Mountain as a false knight, much as he later denounces Joffrey as a false heir. We know how that ended. Then the Mountain runs rampant until Robb's army forces him to retreat. We also know how that ended.

The Mountain follows the ebb and flow of Tywin's will, going wherever he's needed to show people what happens when you try and gently caress with the Lannisters. Now he's been heavily wounded, possibly fatally, by one man. The times are a-changin'.

Cybershell posted:

I know everyone was repulsed by the gruesome eye-gouging and head-popping but that first loving hit where you see his teeth fly out was what really disturbed me.

All those teeth hitting the floor was an incredible shot.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
As brutal as the last scene was, I was really sad about Jorah leaving. He really is one of my favorite characters. I hope he doesn't just ride out of the show.

• Locked thread