Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MrBims posted:

_________/

A fantastic post, this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ballz posted:

How do we know anything more with Yara is "in for sure"? Have there been publicity photos released showing her up to anything else?

A good point. I would add a bit more gravity to the whole thing if she returned and found her father dead, her uncle Euron returned and a kingsmoot called at the start of Season 5.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Doltos posted:

A fantastic post, this.

please stop making noise with your stupid internet face, thanks bunches

i'm sort of hoping the later plot twists with certain people coming back from the dead will be axed, when i saw the catelyn twist in the leper's colony i had to go wiki-walking because i scarcely believed something so silly could be real

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
So I had to go spoil myself on what happens to Jorah as of last night, and holy gently caress. What a lovely turn of events for the dude. Iain Glen is a fantastic actor and made me love what is really a small supporting role, and if it's filmed like it's apparently written, I'm going to be sad as gently caress .

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hey book readers, when you post things in the other thread like "you should just get used to GRRM screwing with your favorite characters," or "stick around, you get some catharsis," you are, in fact, spoiling things. The same when you say "this character is done for now," etc.

Not spoiling things directly doesn't mean even a mildly intelligent person can use the process of elimination to figure out if certain characters are safe or not. Just in the last day of reading reader responses over there, I could figure out that Dany won't die next season, no matter what kind of danger she's in, more fan-favorite characters will (fake) die, etc. It's best to just not talk about characters + future at all - if you do comment on characters there, only mention things that have happened on the show itself, because people generally aren't as clever at not spoiling as they think they are.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

zoux posted:

Well I didn't know that Salon, the ultimate arbiter of quality, had weighed in and confirmed your bad opinion.

Salon is the Bleacher Report of culture sites (along with Huffington Post) and I wish people would stop reading them for anything other than entertainment purposes. Most of the legit critics I've read quite liked the beetles thing even if it ran on a bit. There were also quite a few winks to book readers in that conversation, if I remember correctly.

Darko posted:

Hey book readers, when you post things in the other thread like "you should just get used to GRRM screwing with your favorite characters," or "stick around, you get some catharsis," you are, in fact, spoiling things. The same when you say "this character is done for now," etc.

Not spoiling things directly doesn't mean even a mildly intelligent person can use the process of elimination to figure out if certain characters are safe or not. Just in the last day of reading reader responses over there, I could figure out that Dany won't die next season, no matter what kind of danger she's in, more fan-favorite characters will (fake) die, etc. It's best to just not talk about characters + future at all - if you do comment on characters there, only mention things that have happened on the show itself, because people generally aren't as clever at not spoiling as they think they are.

There's a common thread that people who do things based only on honor or based only on vengeance are usually screwed in the end.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 2, 2014

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MrBims posted:

_________/

Yeah, when doltos comes out as the sane poster you know some bad poo poo is going on.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Aurain posted:

There's a very short and quite quiet exchange between Cersei and Tywin early in the season, perhaps episode 2, where Cersei says "I've found Tyrion's whore" and Tywin says "have her brought to my chambers". The more attentive people will recall that and realise that she's also had Tywin Lannister ordering her to do or say certain things regarding the trial.

It's Cersei's doing. She knew she had a slam-dunk case against Tyrion, she just wanted to humiliate him before he died.

e: I think in the books she even goes out of her way to interupt the trial because before it ends, that there's one more witness they need to hear from.

e2: Also, I think at one point Shae goes to Cersei afterwards and asks to be paid for her false testimony, but Cersei just tells her to get lost and consider herself lucky she doesn't hang her for sleeping with her brother.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 2, 2014

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Darko posted:

Honestly if you want the full experience, don't read that thread. There are so many book readers in there posting "theories" that are straight up spoilerific that are already ruining it for you.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Next season is going to be weird with so much of the original cast now dead and gone.
I wonder if they're going to up Doran's screen time so we have a Tywin replacement.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

tadashi posted:

Salon is the Bleacher Report of culture sites (along with Huffington Post) and I wish people would stop reading them for anything other than entertainment purposes. Most of the legit critics I've read quite liked the beetles thing even if it ran on a bit. There were also quite a few winks to book readers in that conversation, if I remember correctly.

There were so many cool ones. Littlefinger's speech to Robyn about people dying in their beds (Shae) or at their tables (Joffrey) or even on the crapper (Tywin). Tyrion talking about different types of 'cides' and specifically mentioning fratricide. Plus Tyrion warned Oberyn to wear a helmet (lol) and Oberyn asking him what experience he has with pit fighting (soon to be in Mereen). Lots of cool winks.

TheRat posted:

Yeah, when doltos comes out as the sane poster you know some bad poo poo is going on.

Man it's easy to still carry on from that Dota thread but all I have to say about that is I like playing Dota a certain way and that the Dota thread was the one who reacted poorly to that notion. I mean I was getting phoenix wright gifs thrown at me. Leaving that thread was the best decision I ever made with these forums, it just wasn't worth it. Bros take their MOBAs way too seriously and leave no room for alternative strategies.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
I think my daughter's mind broke like Arya's last night.

Here is her reaction to Littlefinger two weeks ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvhgujTmnRM

Her reaction to Oberyn's death (she absolutely adored him):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3mkIAALHcE

I couldn't resist during the credits making a couple of comments like "Guess the execution is in episode 9?" and another when she complains that she can't have one good thing happen (at 6:00).

Sorry it shakes a little, last night I had to tuck my phone between a cushion and my knee and try to stay still so she wouldn't see it. I was using my iPad so she didn't think I was filming. But I kept giggling every so often watching her, so it does move a bit.

She really, really HATES George.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Apparently Gwendoline Christie has been cast for the new Star Wars movie:
http://www.avclub.com/article/lupita-nyongo-and-gwendoline-christie-join-star-wa-205277

Will we be asking "Whatever happened to season 2 Brienne? She was perfect for the role" in a year or two?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Finally, a female wookiee.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Apparently Gwendoline Christie has been cast for the new Star Wars movie:
http://www.avclub.com/article/lupita-nyongo-and-gwendoline-christie-join-star-wa-205277

Will we be asking "Whatever happened to season 2 Brienne? She was perfect for the role" in a year or two?

Honestly, given how many disparate story lines there are on this show, you don't need to devote as much time to filming on this show as you would on a normal production, and can probably juggle another project along with it, unless the schedules directly conflict.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
So the END of the fight was portrayed kind of perfectly and was probably the worst (in a good way?) thing I've seen on television, but I have mixed feelings on the editing/direction of the actual fight. Really surprised they brought back the director behind the worst fight scene in the show's history - the Hound versus Beric Dondarrion AKA the "What's the 180 degree rule?" fight.

Svanja posted:

Her reaction to Oberyn's death (she absolutely adored him):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3mkIAALHcE
This was quite fun. (You are a monster.) About 2:20 is where it turns for anyone curious.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Max posted:

Honestly, given how many disparate story lines there are on this show, you don't need to devote as much time to filming on this show as you would on a normal production, and can probably juggle another project along with it, unless the schedules directly conflict.

Makes you wonder how much dedication the Hobbit really needed out of those three scenes Azog was in.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Doltos posted:

Makes you wonder how much dedication the Hobbit really needed out of those three scenes Azog was in.

Peter Jackson is a cruel task master.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I'll be honest, mentally I was prepared for something a lot more gruesome than what we got. I still came away really satisfied. I wish they played up the size difference a bit more. The Sansa scene was totally amazing and I was blown away. There have been a lot of amazing monologs this season and dammit if that wasn't up there.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
edit: googled it

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
You know, I was thinking about how Varys's misdirect in the, "a small man can cast large shadows," line to Tyrion, I think Bronn's line about grappling hooks and impregnation concerning the Vale were also about Littlefinger, albeit, a little less intentional.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Pron on VHS posted:

So what's the 180 degree rule, we're not all medieval warfare cosplayers

It's a screenplay thing. When you're filming two characters interacting, you want to keep them on consistent sides of the screen, or viewers end up disoriented. You can sometimes break this rule deliberately, but in a fight scene, doing so just makes the action impossible to track.

e: gooby

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Hoooly loving poo poo that was incredibly gruesome. I knew what was going to happen and still reacted with an out-loud "OH JESUS gently caress" just because I wasn't quite prepared for that level of brutality. That view of Oberyn screaming through broken teeth was both horrifying and heartbreaking :(

Also,

aeverous
Nov 13, 2009

Elotana posted:

Haha holy poo poo their writeup:

"Kafkaesque" = "has beetles"

Oh my God haha. It's like someone skim read metamorphosis once in school and has decided it means beetles.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Was watching with my wife and her Bff last night. I said I don't like Dany because she's dumb, and they were both like 'she's the best character!'. At the time of the Oberyn fight, My wife proclaimed: "I swear if he dies I'm going to stop watching this show". When he died I couldn't stop laughing, and asked if she'd stop watching. "no" :(

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
And people were worried that Oberyn's death wasn't going to be gruesome. GRUMsome maybe?

Jorah getting dismissed had such a crazy differences in talent it was funny. Glen was doing amazing job at portraying someone who is having their entire world destroyed and Clarke was, there.

Sansa rocked her scenes. I love after the inquest, LF comes to her and asks "Why would you help me?" and she's very pragmatic about the whole thing saying simply "If they executed you, what do you think they would have done to me?"

Arya's laugh was just adorable.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I still think it wasn't violent enough. I wanted Gregor to smash Oberyn's face for like half a minute straight like that scene in Fight Club only with a far more violent outcome.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I still think it wasn't violent enough. I wanted Gregor to smash Oberyn's face for like half a minute straight like that scene in Fight Club only with a far more violent outcome.

Ive watched a lot of gross poo poo in my time (serbian film, saw, irreversible, etc) and this is the first time Ive ever felt physically nauseated from a tv scene. It was absolutely loving brutal.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

:allears:

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 2, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I wanted Gregor to start smashing Oberyn's face in then action shot to the crowd's disgusted reactions, then a small time lapse where you keep hearing Gregor smashing Oberyn with people looking a little disgusted, then a larger time lapse where he's still smashing Oberyn and now everyone looks pretty bored.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Doltos posted:

There were so many cool ones. Littlefinger's speech to Robyn about people dying in their beds (Shae) or at their tables (Joffrey) or even on the crapper (Tywin). Tyrion talking about different types of 'cides' and specifically mentioning fratricide. Plus Tyrion warned Oberyn to wear a helmet (lol) and Oberyn asking him what experience he has with pit fighting (soon to be in Mereen). Lots of cool winks.

I forgot that a lot of what I was thinking about was actually from Littlefinger but all the "cides" was kind of funny considering Tyrion's soon-to-be purpose in life. Jaime informing Tyrion that there isn't a "cide" for killing your cousin was kind of funny and not unique to book readers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

I wanted Gregor to start smashing Oberyn's face in then action shot to the crowd's disgusted reactions, then a small time lapse where you keep hearing Gregor smashing Oberyn with people looking a little disgusted, then a larger time lapse where he's still smashing Oberyn and now everyone looks pretty bored.

Perhaps the sun setting and rising in the background?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

You know, before watching the episode I read several comments saying they couldn't imagine such a gory scene would make the cut (or something along those lines), and after watching I assumed they were talking about the horribly flayed Ironborn. I was pretty baffled when it turned out that everyone was referring to Oberyn's face-smash instead.

Yeah emotional connection to the character, sure, but in terms of gore I definitely perceived the flayed and tortured corpse, who obviously underwent a long and atrocious agony, as way more disturbing than Oberyn's relatively quick death. Was that just me?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Same.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed that the Ironborn, the death-metal vikings of Westeros, once again incapacitated a commander who wanted them to fight to the last man. I hope every siege of an Ironborn holding ends that way from here on out.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

This is the greatest thing. I will now forever imagine Conan O'Brien in the role of Oberyn.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
This got strangely double posted

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 2, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

PostNouveau posted:

I enjoyed that the Ironborn, the death-metal vikings of Westeros, once again incapacitated a commander who wanted them to fight to the last man. I hope every siege of an Ironborn holding ends that way from here on out.

That's kinda been their thing. Balon was all gung ho about going back to the old ways then he bowed before Robert after Robert smashed his castle.

The Ironborn will always be turds that sack undefended castles but can't stand up to anyone competent fighting them back.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

You know, before watching the episode I read several comments saying they couldn't imagine such a gory scene would make the cut (or something along those lines), and after watching I assumed they were talking about the horribly flayed Ironborn. I was pretty baffled when it turned out that everyone was referring to Oberyn's face-smash instead.

Yeah emotional connection to the character, sure, but in terms of gore I definitely perceived the flayed and tortured corpse, who obviously underwent a long and atrocious agony, as way more disturbing than Oberyn's relatively quick death. Was that just me?

Last decade of television has basically been on-going escalation of cadaver gore. I'd imagine most people just automatically tune it out and can't even see it, because really what the gently caress.

On the other hand, teeth flying, eye-gouging, screaming and screaming and melon smashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Holy poo poo, this is incredible.

• Locked thread