Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
One more th... drat.

Lots of cool software stuff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dear Timb please release the iOS and OS X.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Oneiros posted:

Was there anything about what hardware Yosemite will run on? Will my 2010 MBP live another year? :ohdear:
I'm more worried about the seamless iOS functionality and if they'll lock out older models based on the wireless/bluetooth technology.

I've got absolutely no reason to update my 2012 iMac but if some of that stuff won't work on it I'll be pretty annoyed.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

That was fun. I'm genuinely excited for Yosemite and most of all Continuity. I hope iOS doesn't become too cluttered with extensions and widgets but I'm glad they're available now.

Sorry I didn't know who the guy from Epic was, he's still a mega nerd and still adorable to see on stage.

Chrome > Safari

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Guess we're all Swift noobs now, motherfuckers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Oneiros posted:

Was there anything about what hardware Yosemite will run on? Will my 2010 MBP live another year? :ohdear:

the 2011 hardware just went out of warranty so I'm guessing you still have another year or two, especially since they supported everything back to like the 2009 stuff.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Gah, too many new buzzwords.. Swift.. Metal.. Continuity..

I'd be willing to bet OS X Yosemite = 2012 Macs or later, everyone else get out

Makes sense to me because the Intel HD 4000 is really the lowest bar you can go GPU wise and still offer.. speed

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
So September should be iPhone 6 (maybe iWatch too?), and October all the other hardware poo poo (retina MBA, 4k display, mac mini, etc).

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Swift design document.

Time to CoC this up.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

So September should be iPhone 6 (maybe iWatch too?), and October all the other hardware poo poo (retina MBA, 4k display, mac mini, etc).

Sounds about right, maybe an Apple TV refresh since that's overdue and they keep saying how much they like it

ufarn posted:

Swift design document.

Time to CoC this up.

Only 850 pages, awesome reading this in the bathroom soon

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ok, so I missed the OS X part, did they mention what Macs would be supported? Specifically, is my 13-inch mid 2010 Pro good to go?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

carry on then posted:

Ok, so I missed the OS X part, did they mention what Macs would be supported? Specifically, is my 13-inch mid 2010 Pro good to go?

No, but yours is probably fine.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

carry on then posted:

Five posts above yours is the most concrete information

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

So they never mentioned. drat. Oh well.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

vty posted:

Five posts above yours is the most concrete information

something more concrete:

Apple posted:

Before You Download OS X Yosemite from the Mac App Store
Ensure you are using a 64-bit, Intel-based Mac running either Mac OS X v10.6.8 Snow Leopard or later.
You must have at least 8GB of free disk space to install OS X v10.10.
Xcode 6 beta is required to develop applications for OS X v10.10.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Web pages are up:

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/
http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Better, but I wonder if you'll need a 2012 or better for all of the features/graphical effects.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

This felt more like a Tim Cook event than the previous ones, more planned, everything seemed organized and flowed logically and had very little filler, even their "Big Reveal" at the end felt logical and was telegraphed from the beginning, Steve would've gone "Oh, and one more thing, we're switching programming languages! *drops mic*"

Seems Apple is finally got their own thing going and not just trying to emulate the Stevenote, which sometimes had a feeling of "Throw this in last minute because it's gonna be big!".

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

So the iOS dev page is giving me a code for Yosemite. It redeemed properly but I don't see anything in the update tab.

Anyone get it to work?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Like I said, probably it's one of those "Oh you can use anything back to Late 2008 but if you want the full experience you need a modern machine with 512 MB of graphics memory" deals.

drat the beta signup site is mad locked up.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

BiohazrD posted:

So the iOS dev page is giving me a code for Yosemite. It redeemed properly but I don't see anything in the update tab.

Anyone get it to work?

Yeah, it should be listed under purchases and downloading... it is for me.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I fear the days if my 09 Mac Pro are numbered. Eep.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

McFunkerson posted:

Yeah, it should be listed under purchases and downloading... it is for me.

I was looking under the "Updates" tab.

I am an idiot.

Thank you.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

BiohazrD posted:

Anyone get it to work?

Yup, worked perfectly and is downloading. I'm wondering if Apple requires 10.10 to update a phone to iOS 8 in an attempt to cut down on the tons of people who buy UDID slots and stuff..

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I doubt they really care about that.

But I'm also downloading the iOS beta so I'll try to do the update in Mavericks and see how it works.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

BiohazrD posted:

I doubt they really care about that.

But I'm also downloading the iOS beta so I'll try to do the update in Mavericks and see how it works.

It's actually a bigger problem than you'd imagine. Lots of idiots update their phones to the newest beta every summer and then leave a ton of negative feedback in the App Store when apps crash or don't work right.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

maduin posted:

Yup, worked perfectly and is downloading. I'm wondering if Apple requires 10.10 to update a phone to iOS 8 in an attempt to cut down on the tons of people who buy UDID slots and stuff..

Do they let you download 10.10 if you only have an iOS dev account?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Do they let you download 10.10 if you only have an iOS dev account?

Is it really labeled as 10.10? Wouldn't that be less than 10.9?

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Software version numbers are not decimals.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Can somebody explain the changes to Photo Stream or iPhoto?

The iOS 8 tag line is: Photos. Every photo you take. Now on all your devices.

Didn't Photo Stream already sync your photos to all of your devices?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Because http://semver.org/

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

maduin posted:

Will the beta get its own thread or which thread should we discuss it in? I'd like to see other peoples opinions before I update my work machine

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Vinlaen posted:

Can somebody explain the changes to Photo Stream or iPhoto?

The iOS 8 tag line is: Photos. Every photo you take. Now on all your devices.

Didn't Photo Stream already sync your photos to all of your devices?
It had a limit and was also super weird/finicky about what exactly it synced. Now it's actually everything which makes the whole thing simpler (while also encouraging people to upgrade their iCloud storage).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nifty, thanks!

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It had a limit and was also super weird/finicky about what exactly it synced. Now it's actually everything which makes the whole thing simpler (while also encouraging people to upgrade their iCloud storage).
Hmmm, I wonder if they will have any support for RAW images taken from an DSLR, etc. Then it could be "THE" photo library.

EDIT: It DOES support RAW files. Very interesting! Photoshop on the iPad might become a whole lot more interesting now...

bumnuts
Dec 10, 2004
mmm...crunchy
I thought I had read somewhere that they are streaming the State of the Union talk this year, is that true? If so, anyone have a link?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The old Photo Stream wasn't really cloud storage, it was more like cloud distribution. So you uploaded a photo to Photo Stream, and Apple held it for a while until it was downloaded to all your devices. Ideally one device was a Mac running iPhoto, so it got added to your iPhoto library, and that was the archived copy. The limit of cloud stored photos was 1000, but it could have been 100 and Photo Stream would have worked pretty much the same.

The problem is that's a very "Mac as media hub" solution, and the new world expects the phone to be a first class citizen. Also Apple was terrible at explaining it.

So, the new iCloud Photo Library just says "ok, whatever, we'll store your stuff, but it counts against your iCloud quota."

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Looks like they're bringing back the original iOS 7 dialer with full screen photos. Glad of that.

bumnuts
Dec 10, 2004
mmm...crunchy

bumnuts posted:

I thought I had read somewhere that they are streaming the State of the Union talk this year, is that true? If so, anyone have a link?

I'm a dummy and its available in the WWDC app.

Edit: Double dummy, that is 2013's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Installation of 10.10 looks stalled 3/4 of the way on my early '13 mbpr. Tim :(

• Locked thread