Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Drifter posted:

fanciful speculation
Its not that fanciful, its how one discusses what goes on in business strategy meetings that you were not present for when the conspiring non-disclosed strategic consulting was happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

It's also what goes one when they decide where to have lunch

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

FRINGE posted:

That is frequently the literal root of a conspiracy.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Agean90 posted:

It's also what goes one when they decide where to have lunch
Also true. I was on a 50 person call when two Data Professionals idiots were arguing over what to name a folder for 15 mins. (That had nothing to do with the meeting.)

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
Anyone who is amused by this should read the works of C. Northcote Parkinson, because he summed this up the better part of a century ago.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

prometheus12345 posted:

I think First Fires is the government district and it could be called first fires because there the revolution began.
Yes.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

2house2fly posted:

Alpha Protocol is unpolished certainly, but calling it "very buggy" is just plain not accurate.

AP was a good game, but calling it 'very buggy' is pretty accurate. As in, fall out of the level bugs resulting in a forced restart back at the mansion kind of bugs, or failure to fire script events that lead to engine slowdown and eventually lockup/CTD bugs. KOTOR2 had a missing level load line near the end that made my friend have to resort to console warps, and New Vegas incorrectly saved files on Steam when it came out, resulting in you having to swap your main save/backup save or lose hours and hours of progress.

edit - I've also had to rescue NPC's from the bottom of the level in New Vegas. Or wherever they go. NPC heaven?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Wow, which version were you on? I've never seen any of those bugs in double-digit playthroughs of AP on PS3.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I remember when the game came out, watching videos on Destructoid of how frankly bizarre the stealth gameplay looked. I hadn't caught on at the time that Jim Sterling is a bit of a poo poo, so I took his word for it that the game was awful. After lots of positive reviews on this forum, though, I gave it a shot. I played the PC version years after release and never had any glitches I could recall, and really quite enjoyed myself. The only problem for me is that I'm a bit of a shotgun enthusiast and in order to get them all I have to kill one of the characters I like most.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

GetWellGamers posted:

Wow, which version were you on? I've never seen any of those bugs in double-digit playthroughs of AP on PS3.

PC for all of them.

They patched the one out of level bug for AP for their first patch.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Mymla posted:

I don't remember KOTOR 2 being buggy. Its problem was that it was secretly Cut Content II: The Cut Lords.

There's been plenty of games with more cut content than KotOR2 though. It's just that people don't make any fuss about it because they did a better job disguising/hiding away the content that ended up on the cutting room floor.

Remember Fable by Peter Molyneux? All of those features he said would be in the game? Cut content. Black & White? Cut content. Hell, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 both have a ton of cut content we've never been privileged to.

It's kind of unfair of people to give KotOR2 this reputation for being huge on cut content when in all respects compared to other games it came out. At all, I mean. So many game projects have been completely cancelled because they had to cut, cut, cut away and eventually ended up having a lesser game at the end that they couldn't sell in good conscience.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I love KOTOR2 more than anyone except maybe Scorchy, but when people say 'cut content' they mean the game literally had no ending, unlike every other game you mentioned. Not really Obsidian's fault with Lucasarts fuckery, and the restoration patch puts most of it back in (with a fair helping of really lovely added combat sequences :suicide: ) but let's not be willfully dense here.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Mordaedil posted:

There's been plenty of games with more cut content than KotOR2 though. It's just that people don't make any fuss about it because they did a better job disguising/hiding away the content that ended up on the cutting room floor.

Remember Fable by Peter Molyneux? All of those features he said would be in the game? Cut content. Black & White? Cut content. Hell, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 both have a ton of cut content we've never been privileged to.

It's kind of unfair of people to give KotOR2 this reputation for being huge on cut content when in all respects compared to other games it came out. At all, I mean. So many game projects have been completely cancelled because they had to cut, cut, cut away and eventually ended up having a lesser game at the end that they couldn't sell in good conscience.
I wouldn't say never.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Wolfsheim posted:

I love KOTOR2 more than anyone except maybe Scorchy, but when people say 'cut content' they mean the game literally had no ending, unlike every other game you mentioned. Not really Obsidian's fault with Lucasarts fuckery, and the restoration patch puts most of it back in (with a fair helping of really lovely added combat sequences :suicide: ) but let's not be willfully dense here.

Oh yeah, I won't deny it's not a pretty package, but it's kind of a curse with game development whenever you make something and have to take something out, there is suddenly a task to make the cut as clean as possible. KotOR2 has the absolutely most messy cutting out in the industry history, with loose threads everywhere, major points of the main plot still hanging and as you said, a missing ending.

But I am convinced that if you worked internally at Obsidian, you'd be more happy with the content that was so cleanly cut, so miniscule that people have never missed it, because there is no trace left of it. It could be a missing reference to the first game, a character from another Star Wars related IP that makes a cameo, but was cut later and there is no trace because his inclusion was so easy to remove that after the game released people were just none the wiser to it.

My point is that plenty of bigger and more marketed games have cut more content than KotOR2 could ever hope to with its limited development time. The difference being they were also given time to clean up their cuts and make it so as if it was never there to begin with.

Again though, just touching the surface of what I can imagine the scope of those games started with.

Unless you can get David Gaider himself to say "nope, no cut content that the community hasn't put back in", I'm going to live with the notion that all games have ghosts of what could have been and us being none the wiser might be a good thing. But what do I know, maybe that is what these guys did to dig these characters out.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

If Peter Molyneux is famous for anything it's over-promising and under-delivering, but there's also a big difference between cutting systems/features and content.

To be fair, if KotOR2 came out today they would have released the cut poo poo as DLC and everyone would still be whining about that instead. The ending was, obviously, lackluster, but I remember really liking the game.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Wallet posted:

but there's also a big difference between cutting systems/features and content.

I don't really think so. Cutting one or the other is made only to meet project budgets for what there is time and money for. Cutting a system, cutting a feature and cutting content all are done with the same intention; prevent the project from bloating and causing delays and higher expenses.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

I don't really think so. Cutting one or the other is made only to meet project budgets for what there is time and money for. Cutting a system, cutting a feature and cutting content all are done with the same intention; prevent the project from bloating and causing delays and higher expenses.

From a development perspective, sure, they're all done for the same reasons, but I mean that as a player they are very different. If some RPG cuts a planned crafting system, anyone who didn't closely follow the game's development is unlikely to even notice. It seems easier to cleanly remove features than it is to cleanly remove significant chunks of content.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Wallet posted:

From a development perspective, sure, they're all done for the same reasons, but I mean that as a player they are very different. If some RPG cuts a planned crafting system, anyone who didn't closely follow the game's development is unlikely to even notice. It seems easier to cleanly remove features than it is to cleanly remove significant chunks of content.

A player isn't likely to notice anything missing from a game, if it is given enough time in QA, regardless of system or content.

But I can promise you, both can leave traces for people to find if they go into game code and mess around. I certain you've played a lot of games where significant parts of the game have been cut, regardless of whether they were systems or content. Some you noticed, others you maybe chalked up to your imagination. Ever played a game with a lot of junk items that seem to have no significant use other than to sell them for money to use in a store? It was probably going to be part of a more elaborate crafting system.

If a game does a timeskip, pay attention to the dates and you could determine that something happened between the loading screens that was cut.

I don't think there exists a single game that was ever made to the original scope it set out to be. Or if it exists, I am not sure what they were doing. If you planned your project really well, even for normal software, there's always some extra time you could have put in for that extra thing. Cutting down is just the reasonable thing to do, otherwise you just get paid to twiddle your thumbs. That isn't exactly productive.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I guarantee you if rope kid and crew cut out those bitchin' rad hats they have been showing off for the past year or so this thread would notice and be up in arms. Up in arms, I say.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I would hardly call some of the KOTOR2 cuts clean. The game actually hypes you up quite a bit on the idea of HK-47 tracking down the HK-50 factory, and everything that spawns from that is left in the plot somewhat randomly (like the ending scene of G0-T0 cornering the little remote droid that just randomly cuts away, with neither ever seen or referenced again).

Again, they did the best with what they had, but goddamn if it wasn't straight up obvious that they ran out of time on some major poo poo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The HK-50 factory was the only cut I felt was noticeable, personally. That one I did find disappointing.

But then I'm one of those weird sorts who wasn't even overly fussed by the ending. :shrug:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't think anyone here called KOTOR2's cuts clean, anyway.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Wolfsheim posted:

I would hardly call some of the KOTOR2 cuts clean.

's what I've been saying all along. Lots of games have cut content, KotOR2 just might be the worst one to disguise their cut content.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
That Hk-47 bit was a 50/50 chance of being in the game. I believe I read somewhere that if Obsidian had 5-6 more hours the dev assigned to that plotline could have had it read to go for the game. When statements like that are thrown around you can really see how hosed up a situation LucasArts made for the game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Wolfsheim posted:

I would hardly call some of the KOTOR2 cuts clean. The game actually hypes you up quite a bit on the idea of HK-47 tracking down the HK-50 factory, and everything that spawns from that is left in the plot somewhat randomly (like the ending scene of G0-T0 cornering the little remote droid that just randomly cuts away, with neither ever seen or referenced again).

Again, they did the best with what they had, but goddamn if it wasn't straight up obvious that they ran out of time on some major poo poo.
Not to mention Bao-Dur dies when he clears the way for HK to get to the factory. Even in the Restoration Patch it happens entirely off screen and its barely mentioned.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Wallet posted:

If Peter Molyneux is famous for anything it's over-promising and under-delivering, but there's also a big difference between cutting systems/features and content.

To be fair, if KotOR2 came out today they would have released the cut poo poo as DLC and everyone would still be whining about that instead. The ending was, obviously, lackluster, but I remember really liking the game.

Actually, Obsidian wanted to patch the content in, but Lucas Arts wouldn't let them. So you aren't far off with the DLC bit.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

YouTuber posted:

That Hk-47 bit was a 50/50 chance of being in the game. I believe I read somewhere that if Obsidian had 5-6 more hours the dev assigned to that plotline could have had it read to go for the game. When statements like that are thrown around you can really see how hosed up a situation LucasArts made for the game.

I went to Nar Shadaar last on my first run, every other run I went there first. Also I didn't pay attention to my light sabre components and wound up looting light sabres instead of building one.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Light sabers weren't really necessary though because the correct way to play was to become a sith and AOE force lightning insta-kill mobs

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

A MIRACLE posted:

Light sabers weren't really necessary though because the correct way to play was to become a sith and AOE force lightning insta-kill mobs

I learned that bare handed block and later deflect ability and ran around with blasters on a light side jedi guardian... and AOE'd force lightning insta killing mobs.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Obscil posted:

Actually, Obsidian wanted to patch the content in, but Lucas Arts wouldn't let them. So you aren't far off with the DLC bit.

I celebrated when LucasArts folded because of this.

A MIRACLE posted:

Hey now. Lightside cuisinart is a totally viable lifestyle choice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Combat wasn't particularly hard, I played a single light saber user and rolled through most of the game (the force whirlwind thing makes it a lot easier). I didnt complete my dark side run, but I went full lightning and that was pretty over powered.

I honestly think combat was broken in enough ways that you could probably use blasters the entire game and walk over almost everything without a lot of trouble after the tutorial area.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I honestly think combat was broken in enough ways that you could probably use blasters the entire game and walk over almost everything without a lot of trouble after the tutorial area.

Scorchy went and did this

yup, I'm just having a brain farty sort of day
VVV

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 4, 2014

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Lord Lambeth posted:

Someone did a Let's Play with blasters only, I swear.

Jedi Jesus one? Think that one is in the lparchive.org

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I went to Nar Shadaar last on my first run, every other run I went there first. Also I didn't pay attention to my light sabre components and wound up looting light sabres instead of building one.

This was especially bad because you don't even get just one companion from Nar Shaddaa, but three. I hate when games do that, especially when there's like zero indication that that's the case. I mean, no one was ever gonna use G0-T0 anyway, but HK-47! How lovely it would feel to unlock him thirty minutes before beating the game.

Also, full disclosure, as much as I've played KOTOR2 I've never gotten far enough on a lady Exile run to actually use that one non-handmaiden guy as a companion. I've heard you don't miss much, though.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

frajaq posted:

Jedi Jesus one? Think that one is in the lparchive.org

That's seriously the best LP ever. Well that one and the NWN2 one too.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Also, full disclosure, as much as I've played KOTOR2 I've never gotten far enough on a lady Exile run to actually use that one non-handmaiden guy as a companion. I've heard you don't miss much, though.
Honestly, I think you miss out if you go with Disciple. He isn't a terrible character, but I thought Handmaiden's backstory and place in the plot was a lot more interesting.
If you want to play a lady Exile, I'd just grab a mod that let's you pick up Handmaiden.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

This was especially bad because you don't even get just one companion from Nar Shaddaa, but three. I hate when games do that, especially when there's like zero indication that that's the case. I mean, no one was ever gonna use G0-T0 anyway, but HK-47! How lovely it would feel to unlock him thirty minutes before beating the game.

ME2 has a companion who you have to pick up right at the end of the game if you want the best ending. The recruitment mission is also the trigger for the end game timer to kick in. I was really put out by that. At least in KotOR 2 you can beeline for your favourites on a replay.

Also, I never actually finished KotOR 2 due to quest flags bugging out. Had two goes at it so far. Great game for the (pretty large) bit I played though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Munin posted:

ME2 has a companion who you have to pick up right at the end of the game if you want the best ending. The recruitment mission is also the trigger for the end game timer to kick in. I was really put out by that. At least in KotOR 2 you can beeline for your favourites on a replay.

That was pretty awful but that wasn't how it was supposed to work. There was a last minute change forced by console limitations, which was also why the various companions had to recruited in two or three different groups instead of in any order at any time.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

That was pretty awful but that wasn't how it was supposed to work. There was a last minute change forced by console limitations, which was also why the various companions had to recruited in two or three different groups instead of in any order at any time.

At least if you played the PC you could see some of the content made inaccessible by this simply by using a savegame editor to unlock the characters early. If only it was always that easy.

Actually I think you could on XBox too, but the whole process of editing the savegames was a bit more work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I'm currently playing through Planescape: Torment (again) and man, if there is one thing PoE takes away from this it's the sheer playfulness of it. You just never know what might happen in a conversation. Even the standard "let me ask you something else" nodes have little surprises in them sometimes. Not to mention all the items you can interact with. It's just so mischevious (and well-written of course), I love that.

I know Josh has talked about the quest density in BG2 as a bad thing. But I hope some of PS:T's overall... I dunno, I guess density, will make it into PoE. There are just so many interesting little things hidden in conversations and everywhere. It feels like the game really filled up to the brim with fun stuff.

• Locked thread