Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Has anyone ever used or heard anything about Tilaa VPS hosting? I'm having a real hard time finding a decent looking, and fairly priced FreeBSD VPS provider, and Tilaa is the best looking one I've managed to find, though I am just judging a book by its cover.

Otherwise, does anyone have recommendations for a decent FreeBSD VPS host?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
I just moved my wife off of flickr but she does not like that she has to make her own image tags again and that she can't upload from work (without installing cyberduck).

Can anyone recommend a browser based image uploading solution? It just needs to upload photos into the proper hierarchy and generate tags (in bulk).

I am running nginx and php 5.5.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Hostgator Provo is down again;

http://forums.hostgator.com/network-outage-provo-dc-t319596.html?s=fc4757a5d8acd37e6368ab36d9285d71&

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Does anyone here have experience hosting Adobe coldfusion content/forms?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Yes - don't.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

pseudorandom posted:

Has anyone ever used or heard anything about Tilaa VPS hosting? I'm having a real hard time finding a decent looking, and fairly priced FreeBSD VPS provider, and Tilaa is the best looking one I've managed to find, though I am just judging a book by its cover.

Otherwise, does anyone have recommendations for a decent FreeBSD VPS host?

NOTE: I don't have first-hand experience with any of these providers. I've just started playing around with FreeBSD myself and have been doing a bit of research on VPS providers that support it, so just passing along what I've found.

I've heard good things about ARP Networks and RootBSD. Prometeus (Prometeus.net/iPerWeb.com, both are run by the same company) supports it on their KVM VPS products. Goon-run betaForce supports it as well, although reading through the thread they say they don't have a ton of *BSD experience, so the "semi-managed" service you get with one of their Linux VPSes doesn't really carry over if you're running BSD.

Theoretically, any host providing Xen-HVM or KVM-HVM based instances (instead of the paravirtualized versions) for their hypervisors should support FreeBSD.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I can recommend https://www.arpnetworks.com used them for quite a while. 10/10 pretty much - have never needed to contact support.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Out of curiosity, and understanding that my sysadmin career began as a BSD admin (and I'm not hating on it at all), but why are you guys interested in BSD? I haven't really followed it since Hubbard and Smith left (core fbsd developers) around 2010-2011. I think something like 90% of the developers left.

Are ya'll fleeing the systemd migrations? Zfs?

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

vty posted:

Out of curiosity, and understanding that my sysadmin career began as a BSD admin (and I'm not hating on it at all), but why are you guys interested in BSD? I haven't really followed it since Hubbard and Smith left (core fbsd developers) around 2010-2011. I think something like 90% of the developers left.

I prefer it over Linux simply because it has more organization and thought to their file structure layout (instead of dumping everything in to /etc), and I vastly prefer Ports and Pkg to any of the Linux package managers. That said, it's a headache finding VPS providers that use a compatible hypervisor.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

vty posted:

My dad has worked with UNIX a lot throughout his career, so FreeBSD was the first UNIX system I was ever exposed to. I usually work with Windows, so my familiarity with FreeBSD was little more than basic file management, but I could have easily taken that experience and transferred it to some variant of Linux. So, at the beginning of this year when I decided I needed to start really familiarizing myself with some form of Unix-like system, I went with FreeBSD instead of Linux because it's what I started out with, and I have my father as a resource for help.

And, to be honest, I'm also the kind of guy who likes to differ a little from the norm. :smug:

chizad posted:

I've heard good things about ARP Networks

Biowarfare posted:

I can recommend https://www.arpnetworks.com used them for quite a while. 10/10 pretty much - have never needed to contact support.

Thanks! I'll look in to them as well.

pseudorandom fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 22, 2014

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
https://help.joyent.com/entries/40957424-Transient-availability-issues-in-US-East-1-data-center

Welp.

PEBNAD?

(Problem Exists Between NOC and Datacenter?)

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

vty posted:

I haven't touched in a couple years, but after 2010-2011 FreeBSD started getting pretty regular updates that were pretty cool. The kernel was getting new features that sounded awesome or Linux had already for ages, and there were a lot of improvements on the package management and maintainer side in places where it was a pain in the rear end before.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

vty posted:

For me it's a few things:

- I'm a Windows admin by trade, but I've always worked on smaller teams and in mixed Windows/Linux environments, so between that and stuff I've done on my home network I've had a good bit of exposure with Linux. I got a bit of AIX experience at a previous job, although that system was drat stable and the vendor for the software we ran on it had OS people we could get support from if needed. Playing around with FreeBSD (or one of the other BSDs) is just a chance to get exposure to another flavor of *nix.

- Related to the above, it's something to play around with that's new and different and completely unrelated to what I do at work every day.

- I like the approach/philosophy of having the kernel and base userland all being developed by one team, although I realize that probably doesn't matter much in day-to-day usage.

- I like the idea of OS level virtualization and want to play around with that a bit. I know there's alternatives (OpenVZ or LXC on Linux, Solaris zones), but I'm currently using OVZ on my home network and last I looked LXC was still a bit immature (although I see there's a stable 1.0 release now) and I haven't taken the time yet to figure out which illumos distro I want to use.

I may or may not end up using FreeBSD (or one of it's derivatives like DragonflyBSD) as my *nix OS of choice. But it's something I've been keeping in mind while looking as VPS providers so I have the ability to run it if I want.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Um, so it looks like my email got hijacked by some spam bots. I'm receiving about 5,000 emails per hour that failed to deliver to sender. I have no clue how to fix it. I've got some podunk webhosting, so there's no sysadmin to contact.

I'm running CPanel and that's about all I know to share. I'm pretty lost with this.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

QuarkMartial posted:

Um, so it looks like my email got hijacked by some spam bots. I'm receiving about 5,000 emails per hour that failed to deliver to sender. I have no clue how to fix it. I've got some podunk webhosting, so there's no sysadmin to contact.

I'm running CPanel and that's about all I know to share. I'm pretty lost with this.

Change your email account passwords. Did you have one set to something like 'info'?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Salt Fish posted:

Change your email account passwords. Did you have one set to something like 'info'?

Already changed them, but they're still coming. All of my passwords are, according to Cpanel at least, very strong.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Bounce backs are going to continue for a while. Do you have root access so that you can clear out the email queue? It could have tens of thousands of messages in the spool still.

If you had a weak password before this happened and you know it was weak then you're probably okay with changing the passwords. If the passwords were strong before I'd suggest immediately starting malware scans on any computer that had the passwords typed on them.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Salt Fish posted:

Bounce backs are going to continue for a while. Do you have root access so that you can clear out the email queue? It could have tens of thousands of messages in the spool still.

If you had a weak password before this happened and you know it was weak then you're probably okay with changing the passwords. If the passwords were strong before I'd suggest immediately starting malware scans on any computer that had the passwords typed on them.

The passwords were definitely strong before. No root access to clear the e-mail queue, unfortunately. As for computers, I'm trying to think, but it's been my e-mail for years so I suppose it could be any number of computers. Nothing but my own recently, though.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkMartial posted:

The passwords were definitely strong before. No root access to clear the e-mail queue, unfortunately. As for computers, I'm trying to think, but it's been my e-mail for years so I suppose it could be any number of computers. Nothing but my own recently, though.

It's very likely your email address has just been spoofed as the from email. It happens all the time.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

QuarkMartial posted:

The way email works, you can pretty much say you sent from any domain name you want, so someone is just using your domain as the sender. This happened to me with one of the domains I manage and all of the emails were just random in the form of [XXXXXX]@mydomain.org. I also received a ton of bounce back emails.

Look into setting up SPF rules for your domain. It's a pain because there isn't much documentation, but basically it involves setting a DNS rule that receiving mail servers will check to verify emails are coming from sources the domain owner has OKed.

Check out this explanation of it: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff714972.aspx
This is a nice tool for generating the records: http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/safety/content/technologies/senderid/wizard/ (I forget if I was able to use the result immediately, or if I had to manually modify it).

In the end, you'll basically end up setting a DNS TXT record. This is a portion of what I'm using for the aforementioned domain I'm managing:

quote:

v=spf1 mx a:mx1.hotmail.com a:mx2.hotmail.com a:mx3.hotmail.com a:mx4.hotmail.com a:relay.verizon.net a:mta7.am0.yahoodns.net a:mta6.am0.yahoodns.net a:mta5.am0.yahoodns.net include:smtp.secureserver.net include:_spf.google.com ~all
Because my domain uses all [title]@mydomain.org emails that just forward to personal email addresses, the rule includes a bunch of mail servers for common webmails so everyone in my domain can still use their @mydomain.org address as the "from" address.

After you set the rule, you'll probably receive a few more bounce backs, but if you read their message headers, you should notice a few headers similar to "X-SPF-Check: fail".

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
also start signing your outgoing mail with DKIM and publish a DMARC policy

dmarcian.com is a good tool for checking reports

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I set all of that up last night, and twenty-four hours later.... no more messages!

Thanks for the help!

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
I have a question to ask that's somewhat related to mx records.

I'm helping out a guy with a small business and of course a screwed up small business website.

The problem is this:
The domain host seems to be poo poo (addr.com) and won't allow me to change the mx records to set up a google apps for business account and get @domain.com emails.

Reviews for support are terrible, so assuming they never get back to me to change the mx records what is the process for changing hosts and keeping the domain?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Hollis Brown posted:

I have a question to ask that's somewhat related to mx records.

I'm helping out a guy with a small business and of course a screwed up small business website.

The problem is this:
The domain host seems to be poo poo (addr.com) and won't allow me to change the mx records to set up a google apps for business account and get @domain.com emails.

Reviews for support are terrible, so assuming they never get back to me to change the mx records what is the process for changing hosts and keeping the domain?

- back up all your files
- make sure the contact email address in the domain's WHOIS records is one you have access to
- ask addr.com to send you the EPP code for your domain and remove any locks currently in place

- choose your new domain registrar e.g. gandi.net, namecheap.com, internet.bs
- select "transfer domain to us" on the new registrar's site
- follow the instructions and pay and enter the EPP code when asked
- this will initiate the domain transfer. check your email for further instructions

- choose your new hosting company
- find out their nameserver addresses (e.g. ns1.whatever.com & ns2.whatever.com)

- when the domain transfer is complete, enter these nameservers into your control panel on your new domain registrar

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

- make sure your new hosting company lets you set mx records...

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Rufus Ping thank you for your help.

men with puns
Feb 8, 2010
Young Orc
If addr.com is just your DNS host (and not the registrar) then you probably don't need to transfer the whole domain to a new registrar, and you shouldn't be at risk of losing control of the domain itself. You'll still probably have to find a new host, and you may have to work around issues trying to migrate the individual pieces; I've seen some smaller all-in-one web companies that make things needlessly difficult when you try to take matters into your own hands.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

Arboc posted:

If addr.com is just your DNS host (and not the registrar) then you probably don't need to transfer the whole domain to a new registrar, and you shouldn't be at risk of losing control of the domain itself. You'll still probably have to find a new host, and you may have to work around issues trying to migrate the individual pieces; I've seen some smaller all-in-one web companies that make things needlessly difficult when you try to take matters into your own hands.

Valid point. Can we update the OP to include a list of hosting providers that make things unnecessarily encumbering to accomplish? EPP-restrictive registrar transfers, non-existent DNS administration, inaccessible file retrieval, etc. Basically a blacklist of shoddy support to help others steer away from these situations, because we're here to help others not go down the same path... and over the years the record is starting to track.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

nem posted:

Valid point. Can we update the OP to include a list of hosting providers that make things unnecessarily encumbering to accomplish? EPP-restrictive registrar transfers, non-existent DNS administration, inaccessible file retrieval, etc. Basically a blacklist of shoddy support to help others steer away from these situations, because we're here to help others not go down the same path... and over the years the record is starting to track.

web.com - endless amounts of spam originating from them, nonstop sales calls, etc, refuses to give epp
networksolutions/netsol - endless amounts of spam originating from them, nonstop sales calls, etc, refuses to give epp
register.com - endless amounts of spam originating from them, nonstop sales calls, etc, refuses to give epp
poweryourname - same
namesecure - same

all of the above are the same company; will auto charge your cc (and renewal for a .com is like $50-100) and not allow you to remove your cc for the most part.
--

namecheap sucks for all non-com/net/org extensions (their control panel is completely useless for most cctlds)

crazydomains

Impotence fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 3, 2014

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
enom.com once started charging my card every month for some random service without telling me, so add that to the list.

Biowarfare posted:

namecheap sucks for all non-com/net/org extensions (their control panel is completely useless for most cctlds)

I don't really get this. How could it be better? (genuine question)

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I don't get the namecheap thing either. I've got several non .com/net/org domains, including new TLD's and they all work fine through namecheap's control panel.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

namecheap don't support DNSSEC on new tld's at all??? lmao and I wish I'd picked someone else for my .zone domain

they also buggered up the ICM Membership Number stuff with .xxx domains

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Gandi.net is a decent company. French, tho, in case you care about that.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

fuf posted:

enom.com once started charging my card every month for some random service without telling me, so add that to the list.

I don't really get this. How could it be better? (genuine question)

their com/net/org pricing is $3-4 higher than others

a large number of cctlds look like this too

registration flow for non-primary domains is also kinda bad.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Biowarfare posted:

their com/net/org pricing is $3-4 higher than others

a large number of cctlds look like this too

registration flow for non-primary domains is also kinda bad.
Don't a large number of ccTLDs require residency in the managing country, requiring domain registrations by international customers to be through a proxy with a domestic presence?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Quite a few, yes but there's also ways around that.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

eightysixed posted:

Quite a few, yes but there's also ways around that.
I meant that it seems completely reasonable that a registrar wouldn't let you change your contact information for a ccTLD to something that would violate the upstream ccTLD registrar's policies.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

in which case they can just reject the update, just like if you tried to blank your name out

what they've done is fail to implement the EPP commands, it's inexcusably lazy

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Rufus Ping posted:

in which case they can just reject the update, just like if you tried to blank your name out

what they've done is fail to implement the EPP commands, it's inexcusably lazy

it's pretty much "if the enom reseller api offers it we use that otherwise too lazy to bother just contact support"
(also some of their cctld pricing is ripoff)

namecheap's .com/.net/org pricing is also nowhere near "cheap" or anything close to it

Impotence fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
So basically use gandi? Any other recommended registrars?

Also, any interesting uses for a bunch of small VPSs? I bought like a dozen of them on sale during various time of the year, I'm curious as to what else I can do besides having them clone a bt sync folder